Now or Never

21st Century Kim

Hello to the best subscribers and readers!

I hope all of you enjoy this chapter. I am writing this message as a warning because I am going on vacation to the United States from July 7-July 20. 

This chapter will bring a major shift to the story (and were more than halfway done. 12 more chapters!) I hope this chapter will hold everyone over in the meantime, and let me know what you think after and what you think will happen next!

Thank you for everyone's support and I will reply to comments when I come home. Love all of you! <333

 


Myungsoo woke up on Saturday morning feeling lightheaded, airy of sorts. He lay on his back with his hands sprawled across the floor. The blanket was pushed off to the side and the blinds were wide open. As Myungsoo opened his eyes, he did not flinch from the sunlight shining in. In fact, Myungsoo felt wide awake and energized. It may have been the best sleep Myungsoo had ever received in the 21st century. 

Myungsoo jumped off the floor and stretched his body from side-to-side. He could barely remember what time he slept or how he got there, but that did not matter. Myungsoo was ready to take on the day as he pushed the doors and walked into the kitchen, skipping a step out of giddiness from the rest he received.

"Good morning," Myungsoo called out, allowing for a 90 degree bow to greet his friends in the morning.

Sungyeol was sitting at the dining table highlighting his history book, Dongwoo was preparing a bowl of rice, and Sungjong was nursing his head back to health with an ice pack on the couch. Everyone in the kitchen and living room stopped what they were doing and dropped their items to glare at Myungsoo. 

"You..." Sungjong snarled, his eyebrows furrowed and his breath short as he stood up and walked towards Myungsoo. "YOU!"

"No no no!" Dongwoo and Sungyeol caught the fired up maknae ready to attack his prey and ran after Sungjong to stop him, inches away from choking Myungsoo. "Sungjong!"

"Myungsoo, I'm going to kill you!" Sungjong roared, clawing his way from his older brother and friend's grasp to get to the shaken up prince. "You!"

"Me?!" Myungsoo pointed at himself with an innocent face, only for everything to finally hit him. Friday suddenly made more sense, and Myungsoo went on his knees to beg for mercy and forgiveness. "No, Sungjong! I am deeply regretful for everything that happened yesterday. I did not mean to hurt you like that and put you in that position, I swear."

"Compassionate Prince, my !" Sungjong tried to kick Myungsoo for him to instantly feel how he felt, but Dongwoo grabbed onto his feet and helped Sungyeol tackle him down to stop him.

"Sungjong, you said you were fine with this!" Sungyeol cried, holding down his brother's shoulders to stop him.

Sungjong flailed his arms to get everyone off. "Yeah, but that was until I saw Myungsoo's face!"

"What is wrong with my face?!" Myungsoo asked.

"Nothing, that's the problem!"

The whole argument was a bit nonsensical; Sungjong was simply having a headache and frustrated that he had to stay in the apartment for the next two days to rest, and he needed someone to take his anger out on. It was only appropriate that he insulted the perpretrator. After a hot minute of intensified feelings, everyone had calmed down a bit from the impending altercation. Sungjong sat on the floor with his brother's arm around him and took a deep breath.

"Sungjong, are you ok?" Dongwoo asked.

Sungjong huffed and puffed with his face cooling down. "Myungsoo, you're lucky I like you. I'm not gonna kill you just yet."

Myungsoo backed up against the hallway and let out a sigh of relief. He made a slight bow to express his anguish for everything. All he wanted was repentance. "I swear, I did not mean to do that."

"It's ok." Sungjong stuck his hand out. "The more you talk, the more I won't believe you. Just be quiet right now."

Myungsoo nodded his head, biting his tongue to make sure ensure he did not say a single word.

Sungyeol shook his brother's shoulders as a reminder of his condition. "Alright Sungjong, get back on the bed. You need to ice your forehead."

"Yeah, yeah I know. I need to stay here all day in the apartment. I don't need you nagging in my ear all day long." Sungyeol helped pick his brother up the floor as Dongwoo grabbed Myungsoo's hand to help stand him up as well. It was a tense Saturday morning, and with a diva like Sungjong all it meant was more drama. "As long as everyone doesn't bother me today, we're all going to be fine."

"Gladly," Sungyeol rolled his eyes.

Dongwoo turned to Myungsoo, who was straightening out his pajama bottoms. Dongwoo was the one who suffered from Myungsoo's aftermath and overdose, and he wanted to make sure the prince was ok. "Myungsoo, how's your head feeling?"

"What do you mean?" Myungsoo asked.

Just as I figured. Myungsoo doesn't remember a thing about the gas. He probably doesn't even remember he was going to tell me something. "Nothing," Dongwoo smiled, patting on Myungsoo's shoulder. "I only wanted to make sure you were feeling ok."

"I am." Myungsoo nodded. He looked beyond Dongwoo's shoulder to spot Sungyeol taking his seat back at the dining table. Everyone in the room had addressed Myungsoo at least once except Sungyeol, and it only brought back memories to last night when Sungyeol demanded he go back home. For a split second, Myungsoo's heart started crumbling realizing the eventful night that occurred. Of course it was a new morning and he tried to get over it, but knowing that happened still hurt him. On top of that, Myungsoo did not remember a single thing that happened after that.

Dongwoo made the decision not to tell him, either. "Great."

"Dongwoo, what time are you leaving?" Sungjong asked, returning back to the couch.

"In an hour. After I eat breakfast," Dongwoo responded.

"Good. I don't think you want to be in this house today," Sungjong warned.

Sungyeol's awkwardness around Myungsoo, Myungsoo's uneasy feelings, and Sungjong's sassiness was the recipe for a long day.

 

(((())))

 

Space. 

It was a frustrating day with barely any space.

Complaints, arguing, and distance.

Sungyeol needed time to himself and gathered his thoughts at the jacuzzi. He sat on the edge of the jacuzzi with his pants rolled up and his feet dipped into the water. A lot of things bothered Sungyeol, bottling up inside and waiting to release and fizzle. The calm of the pool and the bubbling jacuzzi eased his stress, allowing him to close his eyes and really put these past several weeks in perspective.

Myungsoo arrived in that very jacuzzi and would change Sungyeol's life. In a reflection of everything they had gone through together, the mystery had yet to be solved. Let alone, there was barely any closer from yesterday night; Sungyeol simply found Myungsoo drugged up in a hospital elevator and told him they were going home. There was a possibility Myungsoo did not even remember a thing Sungyeol said. Changes were needed, and things needed to be said.

"Sungyeol."

Sungyeol opened his eyes and followed his ear: Myungsoo was standing by the jacuzzi with his hands shoved down his pockets and his legs shifting position. "Myungsoo. How did you know where I was?" Sungyeol snuck out of the apartment while Myungsoo was taking a shower and Sungjong was in his room. 

Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders. "Well, I got ejected out of the apartment by your brother. I was playing music too loud and it bothered him."

"What song?"

"No No No."

Sungyeol snickered, amused by how many songs and dances the Crown Prince was learning. "It's a pretty catchy song."

"It is." Myungsoo faired a faint smile, his lips and turning his eyes away from Sungyeol for the split second. "I actually did not know you were going to be here. After I left the apartment, I went straight here to be on my own."

"Really" Sungyeol bit his lip, placing his hands between his legs. "Do you want me to leave so you can be by yourself?"

"No, you were here first."

In between Sungyeol and Myungsoo was a pile of unsaid words and rising tension, but the growing silence only added to that amount. Neither of them wanted to be the one who surrendered and gave in to speak. 

"I was here first, but if you want you can join me," Sungyeol muttered, taking a big gulp to swallow down the nerves.

Myungsoo reluctantly agreed, taking a spot next to Sungyeol and dipping his own feet into the jacuzzi. "How are you?"

"I'm good," Sungyeol responded. "Still loopy?"

"Not anymore. I feel normal." Myungsoo had nothing else to elaborate with.

The water was colder than the hot tub usually held, settling to some lukewarm temperature that was neither scorching hot nor freezing cold. It was the appropriate temperature. Myungsoo paddled his feet in the jacuzzi to make tiny waves, filling in the time before he talked to Sungyeol.

Sungyeol gripped onto the edge of the jacuzzi, digging his fingers into the rough concrete as he mustered the courage to speak first. He scrunched his nose, unable to take the building stillness and secrecy between them. This was not the type of relationship he wanted with Myungsoo. It was his fault this all happened, and he needed to make the amends and move on. "Myungsoo, I'm really sorry about last night."

Myungsoo bit his tongue, remembering that moment when Sungyeol berated him at the hospital. That was the only moment he remembered clearly, and though there was a moment where Sungyeol apologized in the elevator, the details of all of that were very spotty. "It is fine. I talked to Dongwoo about everything, and it was a long night for everyone. Things were said and now we need to move on. I am truly sorry I hurt your brother."

"No, stop. That was an accident," Sungyeol started. "What I did, it wasn't. It was a stupid mistake. I had a lot on my mind, and I needed to take it out on someone. You didn't deserve any of that."

Myungsoo kept quiet to listen to Sungyeol continue. 

"It's because of you that my life is holding together. It's because of you that in all of these lows, I've had highs. It's been a selfish couple of weeks, and I'm tired of being that person. I'm done with that. Myungsoo..." Everything was coming out. "I really don't know what my life would be like anymore without you. I want you to know that."

Myungsoo twiddled his fingers, his heart beating faster as Sungyeol went on with his apology. For someone Myungsoo had met by chance to say that he no longer knew what life was without him, he knew that their relationship was more than favors or a learning experience. This was someone who was special to him, and the prince could not simply let it go. "I cannot picture my life without you too."

The two did not say another word to each other, yet their presence was all that they needed. It was the confirmation Sungyeol and Myungsoo needed to know that their friendship was something special, and the bond between them was more than a coincidence. 

They needed each other, and once again they were reminded of the reason of the start of their relationship. They had to help each other.

"Myungsoo," Sungyeol started. "We're going in."

Myungsoo took a double take. "What did you say?"

"We're going to jump in the jacuzzi, together."

The prince was conufsed, trying to figure out if this was a joke. "Stop it, Sungyeol."

"I'm serious, Myungsoo." Sungyeol cleared his throat to speak in an adamant voice. "You're going to go back, and I'm going with you."

Myungsoo's mouth was wide open, trying to find the right words to say but nothing was coming out. "I... wait... but..." The prince cleared his throat, staring up at the nighttime sky. It was another starry night on that fateful evening that he jumped into the time continuum between the Joseon Dynasty and modern-day Seoul. The half moon was glittering in the reflection of the jacuzzi, almost inviting him to join in. Myungsoo thought it was too good to be true. "Sungyeol, if we jump together and this actually works, you will be going back with me. I do not know if you will come back."

It was not a deeply thought out plan, and Sungyeol knew exactly what he was getting into taking that risk. Sungyeol was simply tired that nothing had been working up to this point. Maybe it's the feeling when you jump in. You can't second-guess yourself. You can't say goodbye. Maybe you just have to do it. Maybe all you need to do is believe. "I made a promise to you that I would take you back to the Joseon, and I'm going to do it," Sungyeol declared, scooting closer to the edge of the hot tub. 

"Sungjong? You cannot leave your brother here, especially after I hurt him," Myungsoo mentioned. "You have school too."

"Sungjong..." Sungyeol stared down at his lap. "Sungjong would probably enjoy me being away anyways. And school... if I fail my classes I can always retake them. Either way, I'll be coming home eventually."

"What..." Myungsoo was in shock. The potential idea of returning to the Joseon with Sungyeol by his side was something the prince could barely understand. Sungyeol, why would ever consider this? You're coming to my time.

"I don't understand the physics, but I'll be able to get back. One way or another," Sungyeol nodded.

"You..." Myungsoo choke up. "You are coming with me. Is this a fact? You are a student at university."

"Into the well. Or hot tub," Sungyeol smiled, patting Myungsoo on the back. "If this doesn't work, then that means the mystery still needs to be cracked. If it works, well I'm coming with you."

Myungsoo grasped onto the edge of the jacuzzi, rocking back and forth like the waves his feet created. His lungs tightened as the idea settled, knowing that Sungyeol was willing to sacrifice everything to send him back to his time. There was no certainty for either of them. Why would Sungyeol want to leave everything behind him? There was too much risk for both of them. "I am frightened," Myungsoo admitted.

"I think... that's why it hasn't worked: all of us deep down inside were afraid. Afraid of what happens next. What happens when you find your family for the first time and confront Sunggyu about everything. Myungsoo, don't be scared." Sungyeol's back pat turned into an intimate gesture, pressing his whole palm on the Crown Prince's back to rub in circles. "It's ok... because I'll be right next to you. I'll find a way to get back, but right now I need to help you out."

Myungsoo focused his attention on Sungyeol, who gave the prince a different look than he normally received. Myungsoo had seen Sungyeol during his lowest moments, but this type of vulnerability was something he had never seen before. Sungyeol's eyes were pleading, almost begging, for Myungsoo to take the next step. It was was bridge, where Sungyeol stood at the end with his hand extended. All Myungsoo had to do was trust him. All Myungsoo had to do was hold his hand. "When do we go?" Myungsoo asked.

"Count to three with me." Sungyeol could barely register that this was happening. He was about to go to the Joseon with Myungsoo. "One."

Myungsoo gasped for air, closing his eyes shut. "Two."

It was now or never. Impulsive as it was, the two would never find out if they held back. It was time to return home.

"Three," they both said in unison.

And in that split second, Sungyeol and Myungsoo held their breaths and leaped into the jacuzzi, dipping their heads under the water in a dive back in time.

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo rose from the water together, bursting out in a wet explosion as they grabbed onto each other for support. They opened their eyes, relieving themselves to breathe again.

The pool was right there, as well as their apartment building and trees surrounding the area. It was still 2014.

"It didn't work!" Sungyeol exclaimed, letting out a loud exhale as he grabbed onto Myungsoo's shoulders for balance. "It didn't work. Man I'm stupid." He should have expected that. It was an unplanned and irrational move, but anything was better than nothing.

"Maybe... now... is... not the... right time..." Myungsoo said under his breath, who grabbed onto Sungyeol's arm to help out his breathing.

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo needed time to catch their breaths. The two of them leaned against each other to regain composure. They were tall enough for the water to rest right below their shoulder blades, standing freely with their feet planted at the bottom of the jacuzzi. It was a feeble try.

Sungyeol opened his eyes and caught eyes with Myungsoo just as he opened his, who was a little startled as he saw Sungyeol right in front of him. In fact, the two had realized their faces were inches away from touching each other. They continued holding onto each other, alternating breaths in the process. They shared a look; though the destination across the bridge was not what they intended, they arrived in a place better than that. The two were close.

The most intimate they had ever been.

Sungyeol shivered, lowering his head down as the minute sunk in. It was a strange moment, but the most personal he had ever felt with Myungsoo. "I'm sorry about everything yesterday, Myungsoo. Do you forgive me?"

Myungsoo let out a childish smile, closing his eyes and nodding as the water on his bangs splashed onto Sungyeol's face. From now on, their relationship would never be the same. "I forgive you, Sungyeol."

 

(((())))

 

Our story fast forwards to the following Wednesday, as the Lee/Kim household was slowly but surely trying to get their lives back together after a long winded weekend for recovery. Sungyeol and Myungsoo's relationship turned back to normal after their Saturday evening talk, if not changed for the better. The two of them were almost inseparable, spending every minute together going to class, sharing caffe americanos and mango frappucinos at Starbucks, studying together, and researching time travel methods in between. Their conversations were seamless, as if the relationship never took a hit. Everyone else around them was the unintentional third wheel.

Which was no problem for Sungjong, who was still recovering from last Friday's soccer accident. His head had been feeling significantly better and he believed the concussion had gone away, but now on Sungjong's head was an atrocious, swollen bump that only ice and time could heal. Sungjong had to resort to borrowing Sungyeol's Korea University hat to conceal the bump which Sungjong coined the size of all of Asia. Over time, Sungjong was able to return to his normal schedule.

"Myungsoo," Sungjong called out as he walked from the hallway, passing by Myungsoo in the living room watching music videos. "I'm going to my club meeting tonight."

Myungsoo was too immersed trying to imitate the hand movements to noice, pointing in the air and swaying his hips back and forth on the couch.

"Myungsoo! Stop watching Apink and pay attention to me," Sungjong demanded with a pout.

The Crown Prince noticed Sungjong standing by the door and immediately stopped dancing. "Sungjong!" Myungsoo blushed, hiding his hands between his back and the back of the couch. "How are you?"

Sungjong let out a smug smirk. He had almost forgiven Myungsoo at this point, but used the accident as an excuse to make fun of him more. "I'm good. Not sure about my head."

Myungsoo fell silent. "I apologize..."

"No, it's fine. Really." Sungjong changed moods as he grabbed the keys on the kitchen counter. "Myungsoo, I'm going to the university tonight. What time is Sungyeol coming home today?"

"I do not know. Sungyeol told me he had to take care of something at the history department. Do you want me to come with you to the club meeting?"

"Great..." Sungjong rolled his eyes at the thought. "I don't need a fractured leg now."

That was when Sungjong realized. The prince had lived in their vicinity for almost two months. Myungsoo is still oblivious to many things in the 21st century, but the fact remains that he is most aware in the comfort of their own home. Myungsoo knows how to operate the kitchen appliances, use the bathroom, configure the television as well as Sungjong's computer. At this point, Sungjong believed he could trust Myungsoo. Sort of. "Myungsoo, you can come with me if you want, but if you want to stay in the apartment that's fine too."

The idea was never posed to Myungsoo. He was never left home by himself, let alone in his first weeks in modern-day Seoul, Sungyeol and Sungjong followed him into every room to make sure he did not explode the whole place. It was a privilege and compliment for Myungsoo to hear that. "Actually, if you and Sungyeol do not mind, I want to take a nap. I would rather not attend the club meeting with you."

"That's fine," Sungjong nodded, rethinking if this was a good idea. "Promise you'll behave, right? I don't want a window broken or anything by the time you come back."

Myungsoo wanted this to work out. He had never been alone in the apartment before, and he really wanted time to himself. "I will just nap and dance."

Sungjong let out a deep breath, determined that this would be fine. He had to trust himself that everything would be ok, and quite frankly Sungjong did not want Myungsoo to come with him anyways."Also, do you remember that one time we did laundry?"

"Laundry?" What was that... "With the clothes? I vaguely remember."

"If you can do me a favor, can you wash my laundry? I'll write you down instructions and everything."

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol ran up the stairwell of the school's history department, skipping steps to get to the third floor as quickly as possible. Today was an important day. His hands were sweaty, almost soaking the piece of paper he gripped with all of his life. Sungyeol jumped to the platform of the third floor and pushed the doors open to the hallway. He kept a stern face, as if Sungyeol was going to make the most important decision of his life. 

C47. The room that held his fate. Everytime Sungyeol approaches C47, his heart starts racing faster out of nerves. This room was a place he was judged, whether it be his intelligence, his essays, or his heart. Last time Sungyeol was in this room, he thought he had a chance. Now, Sungyeol believes he still has a chance. Just in a different way. Sungyeol hovered over the handle with his hand, shaking uncontrollably as it closer approached the metal. It was now or never, and to move on with the next chapter of his life Sungyeol had to go for it.

Click.

The door opens.

"Taeyeon," Sungyeol calls out, his voice firm.

Taeyeon was jotting notes down in her notebook when she noticed Sungyeol standing at the door. The same person who she told she never wanted to see ever again. The world suddenly stopped and her heart skipped a beat. Taeyeon shifted her eyes because it was too painful to look at Sungyeol, gripping onto her pen tightly. "I thought I told you to-"

"Hear me out," Sungyeol interrupted, the paper shaking in his heads. It was a desperate situation, and the demons continued living inside of Sungyeol. There was no more feeling to steal a kiss from her. There was no more feeling to place her hair to the side and gently caress her neck with his nose. There was no more feeling to place her on his lap and hold her as long as he could. Staring at the first love of his life, all Sungyeol wanted was a salvaged friendship. 

"Sungyeol, I'm going to see my advisor soon." Taeyeon reasoned for him to leave.

"Not until... I read this to you."

Sungyeol depended on the piece of paper he was holding. A messy handwritten paper of thoughts and feelings regarding Taeyeon. His whole heart written into one letter. Sungyeol held the sides with both hands and stared intensely at Taeyeon, taking one deep breath before beginning. Go for it Sungyeol. Just do it. No turning back.

"Taeyeon. As I'm standing before you with this letter today, there are certain things I want to address to you." Chills sent down his spine. Sungyeol stopped reading the letter to add a sidenote. "I'm sorry if I'm unclear with some things. I'm really nervous right now."

Sungyeol had declared his presence, there was no time for Taeyeon to stop him. "It's ok."

Nodding his head, Sungyeol continued:

"When we first ended our relationship, you told me you still wanted to stay friends. Being heartbroken, you can't blame me for being a loose cannon and freaking out about all of this. I know that I should have made a better effort to be the friend you wanted, I was still hurt by the heartbreak. Taeyeon, you were my first love. My first for everything. That's something I can't get over in a couple of days.

What happened was I was still fixed on this idea that maybe you would still like me when clearly you made your decision. Your decision to break up with me was something I should have respected in the first place, because as my best friend I want you nothing but happiness. I was selfish and fixated on my own feelings that I didn't look at the bigger picture. When it was over, it was over. I should have understood that from the beginning, and I'm sorry for acting irrationally for these past two months.

On your birthday, I made some pretty terrible decisions. I hurt your feelings, the person I promised I would never hurt. But strangely that same night, I realized something.

We weren't meant to be together.

Life throws curveballs at you, and it's not to punish you. It's to tell you, you know what Sungyeol? This wasn't meant for you, but this happened because it was a learning process. Because even though Taeyeon won't be the one you end up with, she is going to be the one to first teach you what love really means. 

As someone told me that night, we were perfect together, at the time. And I no longer have any regrets for everything we've done together.

Taeyeon, I'm sorry I treated you this way for the past couple of months. But if you forgive me, I want to be your friend. The same friend I was before we got together in college. Because... that friendship means more to me than anything. Standing here today, I want to thank you for everything you have taught me. As I move onto the next chapter of my life, I will take what you taught me about love. Thank you Taeyeon. For everything."

Sungyeol scrunched the letter into a ball, holding it between his two hands. With a dying sigh he finished his sentiment. The move was made, and now it was Taeyeon's turn to reciprocate.

"Sungyeol, do-"

"One more thing. Before I head out and go home," Sungyeol shoved the crushed letter into his sweatshirt and retrieved a small pouch. He twirled the string with his fingers and gently threw it on her desk. "Happy birthday Taeyeon."

Taeyeon grabbed the pouch and opened it up for its contents. She pulled out a silver chained bracelet, the same one Sungyeol brought to the club. The chain glittered in her eyes, enamored by its beauty as she teared up from the thoughtful present.

"I bought this for you, and let it be a token of our friendship. Because we'll be friends forever." Sungyeol said with a sincere smirk. With this, Sungyeol could finally move on to the next part of his life. There was no more baggage, only the future to look forward to.

Taeyeon closed her eyes, a single tear falling at the corner of her face. She placed the bracelet around her empty wrist. It was a piece of jewelry Taeyeon had been needing for a while, but she never expected it from Sungyeol. Taeyeon was relieved, thankful for all the blessings in her life. "Friends forever," she smiled.

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo dragged Sungjong's basket of laundry down the hallway and towards the door. A little panicked and flustered, Myungsoo wanted to ensure he was doing everything correctly. Sungjong wrote out a detailed list of everything he had to accomplish, as well as directions on the margin on how to operate the machine in case Myungsoo had forgotten. Myungsoo was determined not to mess this up, especially after the physical trauma he put Sungjong through the week before. The Crown Prince wanted to do something right.

"Laundry...." All of Sungjong's shorts and pants were piled up and ready to be washed. That could be checked off.

"Detergent..." Myungsoo tried to remember word-for-word what Sungjong told him. Tapping his foot and kicking the basket, he did not quite remember immediately where that was placed. "Oh!" Myungsoo skipped towards Sungjong's room, spotting the laundry detergent next to his computer monitor. Myungsoo grabbed the box and dropped it into the laundry basket.

"What do I need next... money." Sungjong lent coins for Myungsoo to use. Myungsoo grabbed his pocket and shook it to hear the coins jingle. Everything in this formula was set. He also felt a pair of keys through his shorts, which the prince also needed to go in and out of the apartment.

All Myungsoo had to worry about next was completing the task, but that could be taken care of once he gets to the laundry room. He opened up the front door and held it open with his foot, carrying the laundry basket through to the doors.

Everything was set.

"Help me! HELP!"

Myungsoo heard screams from down the hall and stood by his door startled. What? 

Two apartments down the door swung open, followed by terrified shrieks as a man wearing all black escaped the room. The shadowy figure was an enigma, someone Myungsoo had never seen before. Myungsoo leaned against the door, squinting his eyes in curiosity of who he could be. The figure was breathing heavily, clutching his chest with one hand and the other deep inside his back pocket. The man was breathing heavily, hesitant of his next move.

That was until he made eye contact with Myungsoo.

Myungsoo stared into his eyes when a strange feeling overcame him. There was something different at the man he was looking at. His eyes glimmered under the hallway lights in a different manner than he had seen. It reminded him a moment back in Joseon when he travelled the nation's prison for inspection. Following his father and cousin Sunggyu during the trip, he encountered a meeting with one of the prisoners there. With one glance, Myungsoo saw the eyes of a person holding resentment. A person with a hidden secret waiting to come out, waiting to attack. In that quick glance, Whatever his story was, Myungsoo feared the prisoner and he did not know a single fact about him.

That was how Myungsoo felt as he caught eyes with the man in the hallway.

The man blinked his eyes, unknowing what to do. He stepped forward towards Myungsoo, and the prince took a tiny sidestep towards the door. Myungsoo started shaking, gripping to the laundry basket as tightly as possible so it would not fall. The door was kept open with the basket and Myungsoo's foot. As the man stepped closer towards Myungsoo, his body froze over even more. The door was still open.

Instant access into the apartment.

That was when the man took his hand out of his pocket and raised a black contraption in front of Myungsoo's face. A toy the Crown Prince had never seen in his life, aimed straight at his forehead. 

A toy Myungsoo would not realize was a matter of life and death.