The Definition of History

21st Century Kim

The definition of history is the study of human actions from the past and how culture and influence change overtime. Why do we need to study history as people? History allows us to better understand the past, how that affects our present, and how we can act to work towards a better future. I observes the different social interactions of certain power players of how they rose to power, the legacy they left behind, and how that influences the world we have today.

But will happen when two seemingly clashing worlds come together?

What will happen when history and quantum physics collide?

What happens is a story of two different people meeting to define the past and set change for the present and future ahead of them, causing an important event in our history that seven people would properly define as:

The Mighty Time Travel Cluster of 2014.

Our story begins in the Joseon Dynasty.

 

(((())))

 

"The king is back! The king is back!"

Townspeople gathered along the Han River in the capital of Seoul discussing the return of their ultimate leader King Kim Myunghae the Great, who had returned from a month long sea voyage to the illustrious empire of Japan during the Muromachi reign.

Korea was honored to visit the capital of Kyoto as they embarked on a journey to trade weapons and culture. It was expected for King Myunghae to bring back precious metals such as copper, sulfur, and charcoal to the nation to develop as weapons as he drastically improved Korea's defense from the last ruling leader. He was also expected to bring fine art into the country, such as wooden-carved paintings, porcelain, and poetry from the Japanese. 

It was a spectacle for the Korean society, with merchants, farmers, artisans, civil servants, government officials, everyone was awaiting the precious arrival that would mark history.

Two ships cruised along the Han River as crowds jumped together in praise, drinking happy spirits and putting their hands out to reach and try and get a touch of someone from the prestigious and royal Kim family as they parked their boats on the wooden port for their arrival. Different fishermen hooked hanging ropes from the small ships to tie around and anchor to the ground. As the royal family prepared their entrance back into the city of Seoul, a wooden ramp was set up for them to securely step down from.

The townspeople applauded for the final reveal.

King Myunghae was the first person to step off the boat, bowing profusely for his own people as he sported a red and gold-embroided kimono he received as a gift from the Japanese Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu for visiting his country. He stepped off the boat, greeting his fellow Koreans with adoration from being away from so long. He showed off his kimono, taking a piece of the fabric and swirling it around in a confident fashion as he was surrounded by several governmental bodyguards to bring him into the city. "My fellow people! I have missed you so much," he exclaimed, reaching out to brush his fingers against the citizens around.

Women wanted to be with him. Men wanted to be him. Children wished their fathers were like him.

As King Myunghae stepped off the boat, another significant face arrived at the scene.

It was a bright young male who wore a similar fashion to King Myunghae, dressed up in a black and blue kimono embroidered with silver. He closed his eyes, taking in a breath of fresh air as he arrived back to his home. Being on a boat for so long brought much dizzying anxiety, the male stumbled to his right from losing balance of the swaying ship.

"Myungsoo." Another young male followed from behind of similar age and grabbed onto him just as he was about to fall to the floor. "Did you forget how to walk on land?" he snided.

Myungsoo was saved just in time, grabbing onto the hands of the person behind him and weaving his fingers into his to keep his stance. Myungsoo looked dumbfoundedly at the crowd in front of him, who was shouting his name for him to carry their children and play with them. "Thanks Sunggyu," he mumbled.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow, letting go of him and brushing off his kimono. Sunggyu was wearing a kimono similar to his, black and white but without a pattern or embroider to top it. He rolled his eyes, giving an unpleasing look to Myungsoo. "My cousin is the next leader of Korea, and he can't even stand."

Myungsoo blinked, staring blankly into the crowd as he imagined the waves swaying back and forth in his mind. He was fascinated by all the people waiting for him to arrive, lavishing King Myunghae in gifts and expecting the same for himself. Myungsoo was a curious character, tuning out of the screams around him and listening to nature's beauty of the Han River and rustling of trees around them. "Come on Sunggyu, let's go. The crowd is waiting for us."

Kim Myungsoo was the eldest son of King Myunghae and the next heir to the House of Kim to rule the country. He followed his father on a journey to explore the different territories around them and learn the ropes of acting as a King for the Joseon Dynasty. He went on the trip with his cousin Kim Sunggyu, who was expected to act as the next military leader of Korea.

Sunggyu and Myungsoo were the exact polar opposites of each other in several different ways. Sunggyu was a serious member of the royal Kim family, acting promptly to every endeavor required of him and taking his academic work seriously. Even though he was not physically skilled in weaponry or martial arts, his war skills lay within his scholarship as he was said by many people to be the next military genius.

Myungsoo was taught by the same teachers as his cousin Sunggyu. In fact, Myungsoo was just as smart as him in almost every aspect. But Myungsoo was much more easy going, known around Seoul as The Compassionate Prince for his love for his people and the world surrounding him. He took every moment as it was, also prolific in artwork and painting. For Myungsoo, he cared more about the well-being and rights for his people and how to improve their education and privilege. He was a man of civil rights and knew what was best for the country.

"Are you two ready?" A bodyguard walked up to them, holding an elaborately-crafted umbrella with hanging crystals to shield the two cousins from the piping sun. 

Myungsoo looked over to the bodyguard and let out a simple, dimpled smile at him. "Thank you Daehyun." 

Daehyun was Myungsoo's righthand man, his protector, and his best friend.

The three of them walked away from the ships as servants walked out holding different treasures brought back from Japan, carrying them out to the horse carriages parked onto the streets. The citizens showered them in amaryllis flower petals to represent pride for the House of Kim. Myungsoo could not believe the scene of everyone who watched their fateful return to Korea, appreciative of the love and support he received from everyone around him. Him and Sunggyu stepped into a separate carriage from his father, where a female counterpart was sitting as she awaited their arrival in a bright orange and pink hanbok. Her beauty was a phenomenon that neither of them could comprehend, her skin shining brightly and her smile able to bring a nation to tears.

"Naeun!" Myungsoo exclaimed, bowing in front of her as he was surprised to see her sitting in the carriage. "I thought you and your family were only coming to dinner tonight?"

"I was able to convince my father to come see you and Sunggyu here this afternoon," Naeun smiled.

Myungsoo took the seat right next to Naeun, who whispered a secret in her ear. "I got you something special." Inside Myungsoo's sleeve, he slipped out a folded up Japanese fan. At the flick of the wrist, he opened it to show off the fan to Naeun: a wooden-based fan that was handcrafted and painted of the view of the temple Kinkakuji in Japan's capital of Kyoto.

"Wow, this is beautiful." Naeun was touched, taking the fan in her delicate hands to open and close on her own. She placed it on her lap, turning to look at Myungsoo endearingly. "Thank you Prince Myungsoo."

"Anything for my future wife," Myungsoo smiled, placing a gentle kiss on her lips to shower her in affection.

Son Naeun was the daughter of the Chief State Councillor to King Myunghae. Born to a family of scholars, Naeun's father had wished for her to be a son due to the demands of class and society, but he did not give up on his daughter and educated her with the finest of scholars around Korea. To this day, Naeun is the first female to be considered as the next Chief State Councillor after her father's death. 

Alongside her promotion, an arranged marriage was made between Myungsoo and Naeun after first meeting at a banquet half a year before. The court and Kim family was shocked with how well they got along that King Myunghae encouraged Councillor Son for the two of them to get married. It almost seemed like love at first sight, and Myungsoo and Naeun agreed to the terms.

It was Sunggyu's turn to step into the carriage, who had spent some time talking to a family on the side who wanted their child blessed by him. He stepped into the carriage, his eyes lighting up in pure glee as he was surprised by Naeun's appearance. "Son Naeun, I thought you were coming later?"

"So did Myungsoo," she blushed, closing her fan and sliding it into the sleeve of her hanbok. "I had special privileges to see your arrival."

Sunggyu bowed at 90 degrees to greet her. "You look lovely today."

Daehyun finally stepped onto the carriage took a seat next to Sunggyu. He closed his umbrella, folding it together and placing it under his seat as he looked onto the arriving princes. "Are you all ready for the grand dinner tonight?" Daehyun hyped up all the food being served, with the Kim family expecting 100 guests from all over to greet the return of King Myunghae the Great.

Myungsoo chuckled. "As long as there's crab gamjeong!"

Sunggyu shook his head. "You're a fool, cousin. A fool."

 

(((())))

 

"You're breaking up with me?"

Taeyeon bit her thumb, letting out a solemn exhale as she sat across the table from her boyfriend.

Or ex-boyfriend.

"I just don't think this is going to work out anymore."

Sungyeol gripped onto the mug that held his caffe americano, which he chugged down in a matter of seconds after first hearing these shocking words from his girlfriend. He had not suspected any of this from a mile away, thrown a curve ball that smacked him right in the face and let him unconscious. "Taeyeon, you're serious?"

"Sungyeol, don't think of it as a breakup. Think of it as, we're going back to being the friends. In the same manner you were 10 and I was 12," Taeyeon tried to explain.

"It's just, I don't see where this is coming from." Sungyeol looked towards the ceiling, observing the brown polished tiling of the coffee shop as a faint reflection of his face and the top of Taeyeon's head appeared in the light. "I thought we were doing so well."

Taeyeon nodded her head, regretful of how everything had to happen and her feelings came to place. "Sungyeol, I'm really sorry but this doesn't feel right for me anymore. I'm your tutor. You're my student. I'm a 4th year. You're a 2nd year..."

"You're breaking up with me because of age?" Sungyeol held back tears, squeezing onto his cup and taking a sip of his nonexistent coffee as he pretended something was there. He repeated the words once again, hoping to knock some sense in himself and this situation. "You're breaking up with me, because of our age, in the middle of Starbucks."

"Sungyeol, please don't think of it like that..."

"On our 500 day anniversary."

"I know this sounds like the end of the world, but it's not."

"Taeyeon, I have a midterm tomorrow worth 30% of my grade." Sungyeol slammed his mug on the table. He rubbed his face into his hands in frustration, feeling the strange friction between his palm and his cheeks as he slid his hands down to flick the gentle touch of his fingertips on his skin. "I mean if you were going to break up with me, you could have at least chosen a better day, a better time, a better location than ing STARBUCKS!"

Everyone in the area ranging from students, professors, workers, and other professionals looked on as Sungyeol and Taeyeon sat at a small coffee table right in the middle of the coffee shop. 

"Sorry," Sungyeol bowed his head, nervously scanning the room and catching eyes with everyone staring straight at them. Sungyeol slumped in his chair, shielding his eyes from embarrassment and his own tears of his heart crumbling before him.

Taeyeon knew for a fact this was the worst possible place for a breakup to happen. Even if the timing was not right, there would be no other opportunity to sincerely express her feelings in a setting face-to-face with Sungyeol. With her busy schedule as a researcher for their college at Korea University, but there was no better chance to do so than this moment. "Sungyeol, I know this is by no means a good place for us to have the talk. But I've been feeling this for some time, and I needed to express it now rather than wait and have the both of us be unhappy. You deserve someone who would will treat you right, someone to make you happy."

"But Taeyeon," Sungyeol started as he begged for his girlfriend to stay. "You treat me better more than anyone in this world. You make me so happy, and I thought I did the same."

"You do, Sungyeol." Taeyeon reached her hands over the pile of history books, eaten pastries, and empty ceramic coffee mugs and held onto Sungyeol's hands, which were shaking in disappointment and heartbreak. "Sungyeol, I care about you more than anyone in this world. And there is no other man that can make me happier than you do. It's just, where do I even start with this. We've grown up together for so long that it's sometimes hard to view you more than a friend. I think with the age difference, the two of us are on different levels in life. I'm going to graduate, and you'll still be in school. I treated this relationship romantically, but last month I went back to my feelings of you being like a... little brother."

The little brother card? Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

Sungyeol laced his fingers with Taeyeon, shaking his head and refusing to leave this was all happening. "Taeyeon, is there a way we can make this work? I'll do anything, ANYTHING to change for you." A single tear fell down Sungyeol's face, his lip quivering in a desperate attempt to keep the woman he cared about in his life. "Taeyeon, I love you so much."

"Sungyeol, I love you too." Taeyeon let go of Sungyeol's hands and gently pushed them away. "As a brother." Taeyeon stood up from her seat, no longer able to stare into Sungyeol's pleading expression for her to stay by his side. She only hoped that this could have happened another away, but it had to be done. "Sungyeol, you'll still be my best friend through it all, right?"

"Yes. Of course," Sungyeol responded, nodding his head repeatedly to convince himself they would still have a relationship of some sort through all of this.

"I have to go to my job now, but please let's hang out tomorrow. Nothing has to change, everything can go back to old times."

"Sure, yeah." Sungyeol was lying to himself, and he knew it. Nothing could ever go back to normal.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Taeyeon smiled slightly, which disappeared into a pitiful frown as she picked up her backpack. "I'll keep these romantic memories of us for the rest of my life. You've changed me for the better, and I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for you." Before she could start to cry, she rushed out of Starbucks and left Sungyeol by himself. As the doors closed behind her, Taeyeon spun around to glance at Sungyeol one more time through the windows before she crossed a line into friendship that could not be crossed back. Sungyeol had barely moved a single limb since she revealed their breakup, merely twiddling his thumb on the handle and blankly staring at the wall in front of him. Taeyeon wiped her eyes with her sleeve before running away.

I'm so sorry Sungyeol.

Sungyeol sat at his table. He had initially went to Starbucks to study for his midterm the following day, a place that acted as his normal study spot on the Korea University campus. All of his textbooks, past notes, and tablet was there in front of him to prepare for the biggest test of his term. He spotted his girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend, Taeyeon running in to grab a quick drink before her work and invited her to sit with him. On their 500 day anniversary, he wanted to spend a little time with her even though he had a midterm to study for.

Then all of this would come crashing down on him, caught off guard in a multitude of emotions that would not disappear.

Now he was distracted. A distraction by a beautiful woman that Sungyeol gave his world to. She was his first friend, his first roller coaster ride, his first date to the school dance, his first fight, his first kiss, his first love, his first time, his first out of the country trip to Singapore.

She would also be his first heartbreak.

She was still beautiful to him, the most beautiful woman he ever knew, but the game changed.

It was the ultimate friend zone of all friend zones, and after everything they had been through together he could not even fathom how their relationship would go back to brother and sister.

Sungyeol sniffed his nose, allowing for his tears to continue following as he sobbed in the middle of a public institution about Kim Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon, who sometimes he thought he would spend the rest of his life with. He sincerely thought one day he was going to marry his childhood sweetheart. He had no idea it would all end like this.

Sungyeol stood up from his seat, making his way to the back of the medium-sized line to order another drink. He wiped away his tears, grasping onto his cup to the level of almost breaking it with his own hand. His eyes were burning red from the pain of crying, the tip of his nose and cheeks the same color as his eyes. He had almost hoped he could try and hide his feelings by grabbing his Korea University hoodie and pulling it over his eyes.

In the end, Sungyeol looked like a hot mess with his hoodie on or off.

"Next."

After waiting some time, Sungyeol was finally first in line. He walked up to the counter and threw his mug across the surface carelessly towards the barista. "One caffe americano."

"One... caffe... americano..." the barista wrote down on the cup, pronoucing each word with every character written.

Sungyeol closed his eyes. "Also, if you could add an extra shot of love I would really appreciate it."