Betrayal

보름달 (Full Moon)

In the next day, Haruka seemed to queue alone without Minhwa. Haruka had visited her class. She thought Minhwa would eat lunch with her. But it turned out Haruka queued the lunch alone. Minhwa told her that she couldn’t eat because she had to lose some weight. Even tonight, she had to attend her very first cheerleading practice at 6 pm. It also meant that Haruka had to walk home by herself again this time—or in the future. Haruka knew that Minhwa had been longing to join cheerleader since they were still in Yeosu. Unfortunately, back then in her old school, there was no cheerleader club like here, in her new school.

Haruka got her lunch in her hands. Now it was the hardest time of her life. She couldn’t even find a seat for herself. It’s not like there were no empty seats—she was afraid if the seats had belonged to other students. That’s why she kept standing in blank. She was just a transferred student and didn’t have any rights to sit there. But someone greeted her just in time. It was Chanyeol with Luhan and—maybe his other friend.

“Haruka, you’re not eating with your friends?” Chanyeol asked while having his tray in his hands. He was holding his lunch. It seemed like he got the same menu with Haruka. Luhan didn’t glare anymore. He was looking to other direction. Out of them, Luhan was the only one who didn’t bring his lunch.

“Yeah,” she answered randomly..

“Eat with us then. They won’t let you sit nowhere here.”

Haruka had no other choice but to join Chanyeol and friends in their table, at the corner of the room. Although it seemed uncomfortable, but Chanyeol once again convinced her that she wouldn’t feel that way and promised her that he would introduce his other friends to her—well, to be honest, Haruka didn’t seem to care. She just hated awkward moment.

“She got no place, Hyung. She’s Haruka—the new transferred student in my class.” Chanyeol coolly introduced Haruka to his other friends. “Haruka, this is Suho—he’s the oldest here. Next to Suho is Sehun—he’s in the second year now. And the one who just is just coming—D.O—but you just can call him Kyungsoo. You know the rest of them, right?” Chanyeol then sat down next to her. Only Suho smiled, the rest of them did nothing but eat.

“And—who is he?” Haruka asked. “The one who sat next to you…”

Chanyeol pursed his forehead, widened his eyes. “You know him, Haruka. Oh, C’mon…”

“You didn’t say his name just before.”

Kai who didn’t seem to have appetite to eat, watching both of them talking in low voice, scanning her thoroughly. He just couldn’t take his eyes of Haruka.

“I told you his name, Haruka. Don’t you remember? Last night—the one who piggybacked you home—did something happen last night?” Chanyeol asked. Suho and Sehun stopped eating right away, watching both of them talking just like Kai.

“It’s like you have lost your memory somewhere…” He commented again.

Getting no answer from Haruka, Chanyeol asked Baekhyun directly. “Baekhyun-ah, did something happen last night?”

“No, if you mean about Haruka.” He answered in confuse, confused by Chanyeol’s weird question.

Haruka was surprised after she heard that his name was Baekhyun. She remembered clearly about last night—how could she forget it. She remembered how comfortable it was, to have herself piggybacked by Baekhyun, and now she suddenly pointlessly asked who the name of the one who was sitting next to Chanyeol was—by the fact that it was actually Baekhyun. She felt like digging a very deep hole to hide for herself, embarrassing.

“Ah—I remember. Baekhyun, right? Sorry, I’m really a forgetful person. Sorry and thanks for—last night.”

Chanyeol was even more curious, so were the rest of the boys. They coincidentally stared Haruka at the same time, deeply in her eyes.

Haruka felt uncomfortable yet awkward just then. She fastened her eating, so she could leave as soon as possible. Well—it wasn’t funny at all. It was embarrassing though—too embarrassing she couldn’t face all of them.

“I’m done. Thanks a lot for sparing your seat for me.”

“Where are you going?” Chanyeol asked hurriedly.

“I have to go to the library. Borrowing some books before it’s borrowed. See you later.”

Baekhyun held Chanyeol’s arm when he was about to stand up, following Haruka to the library. Baekhyun let Haruka leave first, so he could talk freely about something they had to know.

“She—wasn’t fine.” Baekhyun finally opened up, telling them about what happened last night.

Kai raised one of his eyebrows, couldn’t get what Baekhyun meant by ‘she wasn’t fine’. As he observed quietly and carefully, physically, she was alright, nothing’s wrong. Haruka looked very healthy. Her face wasn’t pale—her cheeks were blushed, just pretty. So, he asked, “what do you mean, Baekhyun-ah?”

“Did something really happen last night?” Chanyeol asked him again.

“No, actually no—I took her home safely. She even thanked me.” Baekhyun told.

“What’s the matter then?” This time Suho asked. Baekhyun sighed heavily before telling them, preparing himself. “She was extremely not fine. She is, but not with last night. I was shocked after figuring out myself.”

“Just tell us straightly to the point, Baekhyun-ah. You make me confused.”

Baekhyun sighed for the last time. “She couldn’t see.” Baekhyun stopped, and then he continued. “I guarded her quietly—as I usually do—but yesterday was supposed to be the first time Haruka went home late and alone—without her friend. She walked slowly, really slow till I had to wait and hide myself behind electricity-post. Her body trembled—I thought she was about to faint, so I ran to her, but luckily, she could balance herself.”

Baekhyun stopped to take a breath. “But suddenly, she bumped onto the road, tripped by a rock which was as big as a basketball. So, I ran and help her to get up, even asking her if she was fine or not. She said she’s fine, but I was pretty sure she wasn’t, so I quickly called Chanyeol, asking him to come because I knew she would refuse my help if I helped her again.”

“And she did—refusing Baekhyun’s help.” Chanyeol added quickly as he understood the situation.

“What did happen to her?” Suho asked.

“Did she bump into something again?” This time Sehun asked curiously.

“She plopped in the ditch—her foot.” Baekhyun said. Kai showed his terrible face as Baekhyun said ‘the ditch’. “It must be—dirty.”

“She cried?” Luhan asked.

“Well—no, but she was about to. Luckily, Chanyeol came at the right time. She couldn’t refuse my help to take her home.” Baekhyun sighed all over again. “I took her home safely, she asked me to put her down, I put her down, she thanked me, and—”

“Did something happen again?” Suho asked impatiently.

“Yeah, she thanked and bowed, but—I was behind her. I didn’t know whom she bowed for.” Baekhyun answered.

Kai pushed his lunch—he didn’t even touch it. “But she can see us though. Do you think she has night-blindness?”

“Baekhyun-ah, stay by her at night. Make sure if she really has night-blindness or not. I feel more worried now…” Suho sighed.

“Yes.”

 

***

 

After that tragedy, Haruka always managed to go home before the sun setted. She totally avoided going home in the night, considering her disability to see in the dark, although sometimes she had to walk alone because Minhwa had to attend the cheerleading exercise after school. But today, unlike usual, Minhwa didn’t have cheerleading practice schedule, so she could walk home with Haruka. Chatting like there was no tomorrow.

When they arrived, the sky had totally turned dark. Haruka took a bath as quick as she could because she had to do tons of homework. Minhwa promised she would help Haruka do it because, well—Haruka couldn’t see at night. She could—of course—because there was light, but not as clear as during the day. Haruka felt like giving all her life to Minhwa, instead of avoiding her, Minhwa helped her a lot. They actually shared the same dreams, hopes, life—everything. That’s why they could be here together, going to the same school, sharing the same room.

“No, no… You miss one zero, Haru-ya. It’s two zero eight zero zero zero—triple zero.” Minhwa helped her write the missing zero at the back.

“I must be very dumb…” Haruka giggled as she closed her books.

“Aigoo, normal error. Stop blaming yourself. Anyway, Haru-ya… there’s something I want you to know.” Minhwa took a very deep breath. “It’s about—you know—your classmate…”

Haruka showed some responds by widening her eyes and coughing—not just coughing to clear , it was more like teasing her. “Chanyeol? You told me before, that you’re interested with him.”

Minhwa shook her head snappily. Her short hair swung as she turned her head. She said, “I’m not only interested with him, Haru-ya. It’s growing—growing rapidly. I think my heart is swelling day by day, swelling till it almost—not yet exploding—but, yes, I can’t help it, Haru-ya… I like him, I like him. It may explode sooner or later.”

“So, you’re falling in love with Chanyeol—Chanyeol my classmate? Minhwa-ya, you don’t know his personality yet. Of course, I don’t know either—well, he’s nice, easygoing, and friendly, but that’s all.”

“Uh-huh,” Minhwa nodded vigorously. “Tell me more… I heard you sat with his group quite often when I wasn’t able to eat lunch with you, is that true?”

“Yeah—but we’re not that close. Chanyeol asked me to sit with—what you call as ‘his group’ because I can’t sit anywhere. Every seat in that place has been booked.”

Minhwa sighed and sighed. “They’re not that nice to give their seat to anybody whom they don’t know, Haru-ya. Jenny told me that. They have their own spot and never share their seat with anybody, really, anybody.”

“Yeah, but it’s an urgent situation, you know.” Haruka dodged.

She didn’t lie anyway. They didn’t know each other—exception for Chanyeol. Thanks to Chanyeol for bringing her to his group. Haruka wanted to tell this—everything that had happened in these past days to Minhwa, but she just couldn’t. This was the first time of her life. Deception? Well, Minhwa had that right to say she was deceived by her best friend after all.

“Oh—so, won’t you help me, Haru-ya—at least as your best friend. Won’t you help me, Haru-ya, won’t you?” Minhwa gave Haruka her -eyed look.

Actually, even without giving that kind of look, Haruka would definitely help her. Really, if it wasn’t Chanyeol, she might have helped her no matter what. But it’s Chanyeol whom Minhwa liked—the guy who wasn’t ordinary—he was quite popular and it burdened Haruka, to be honest.

“Okay, I’ll try.”

“You have to tell him about me often, so he can get used to hearing my name. I’m going to buy chocolate cake tomorrow. You have to help me, okay?”

Haruka shook her head, losing interest. “Don’t tell me I have to give that to Chanyeol.”

“Oh—of course you have to! I’ll write a very short message, giving my initial, MH. What do you think? Is it too much?”

“Well, just write your name instead. After he receives the cake and reads the message, he can thank you.”

Minhwa held Haruka’s hand all of sudden. “Will he do that?”

“Chanyeol is very nice.” Haruka said the words that were enough to make Minhwa get her confidence. Haruka sighed, gathering her positive thoughts instead of grumbling. Lucky it’s just Chanyeol, not anyone else in that group.

 

***

 

As her promise to Minhwa, Haruka was now bringing the cake with her, a chocolate cake which Minhwa bought before going to school. She really tucked a very small paper inside the box. Haruka had to bear her ears when Minhwa warned her hundreds times about the cake. She remembered clearly every word Minhwa said. “Don’t shake the box, it’s not only ruining the whole cake, but it may also ruin my heart.” And another one, “Give it to Chanyeol, not anyone else. You have to double check his locker. Make sure it’s Chanyeol’s locker. Get it, Haru-ya? I put my trust on you, Haru-ya.”

So, here Haruka was, bringing the box all the way to Chanyeol’s locker. She wasn’t sure yet, which one is his locker. When she was looking for the locker while walking through the corridor, she accidentally bumped into someone. The box just slipped out of her hands and pathetically fell onto the floor. There’s no need to check the cake inside. She betted all her life that the cake would be absolutely in messed, losing its shape. Haruka, she just stood up in fear. The cake which was supposed to be given to Chanyeol, was now crushed. It was impossible to buy another one because in a minute the bell would be rung. She couldn’t even blame the one who hit her—she was too confused with Minhwa’s cake.

“I’m sorry…” He said.

Haruka finally got her sense back. “It’s—okay.”

“Are you okay? Did I hit you too hard?” He asked again.

Just then, Haruka lifted up her head and found out the one who bumped into her was the one who always glared at her, Luhan. His face was just flat and straight as nothing happened. In fact, he just bumped her till the cake fell off. Haruka just couldn’t pretend like nothing happened. Something big just happened!

“Oh—is it a box of cake?” he asked bluntly.

“Well, it’s supposed to be a cake, but—”

“I’ll buy another one. Is it chocolate cake?” Luhan asked, but his eyes still fixed on Haruka. Haruka widened her eyes, astonished by Luhan’s guess. “Yes, it is. How could you know—well, I didn’t even tell you it was a chocolate cake?”

Luhan scratched his head lazily. “Well—I’m just guessing.”

“It’s not mine anyway, so I’m not sure about changing to another cake. It was supposed to be given this morning.” Haruka calmly revealed. True, if the cake was given lately, Minhwa would be mad at her. She wouldn’t talk to Haruka for days.

“Just forget it if you intend to give that cake to one of us. It may end up in that thing…” Luhan pointed a trash can not far from their spot.

Haruka smiled bitterly.

“It seems like you were about to give that to one of us, right?” Luhan nodded and smiled wryly. “It’s not like we’re picky—I only tell you about this, but we—none of us likes chocolate. Pick another flavor if my guess is true.”

Haruka put off her smile. Somehow, she looked down. “It means she has to buy another cake with different flavor. Money will be wasted.”

“Let me buy it. The cake might have been alright if I didn’t bump you just now after all—”

“Yeah, it may be alright—for a moment. But it may also end in that trash can soon. It’s even worse.” Haruka mumbled, but Luhan heard that clearly.

“At least you have to thank me because I bumped you. You can change the cake to another flavor behalf your friend.” Luhan added, “Or I can tell directly to him about this incident. Just tell me whom you want to give this cake to.”

“No, no, alright, just change the cake to another flavor.” Haruka quickly replied.

“What do you like?”

Haruka pointed herself. “Me? Well, I’m not so into chocolate anyway.”

“I can see that.” Luhan nodded, but his sight wandered to another direction. Haruka narrowed her eyes. “I like strawberry.”

“I’ll buy the strawberry one.”

“Wait, wait, wait.” Haruka restrained him. “I like strawberry one, but does that person like it too?”

Luhan sighed strongly. “Since you’re not telling me whom you want to give the cake to, it’s better for me to buy a cake with your favorite flavor, isn’t it?”

“No—you can’t do that. It may end up there too.” Again, Haruka pointed the innocent trash can.

“Well—sure, if it doesn’t match his taste. Just tell me so I can buy the right flavor for ‘him’.” Luhan emphasized the word ‘him’ purposely. He waited patiently.

“Chanyeol. I was supposed to give that cake to Chanyeol.”

Luhan folded his hands across his chest, nodding slowly. “Chanyeol likes strawberry though,” he said while thinking. Haruka rolled her eyes, annoyed. “You should have just bought that. He likes strawberry though. Why do you still aske me…” She grumbled.

“Anyway, could you give me the cake first? Because I have to—”

“Slip the message in the cake?” Luhan continued bluntly. “Ok, I’ll do that. I’ll buy right after the school ends.”

“Sorry and thanks anyway.”

Luhan responded nothing but smirk, leaving Haruka in blank.

“Luhan,” she called again after he walked a little far. Luhan turned his back. “What is it again?”

“Can you help me to put this cake somewhere hidden?”

 

***