Forgiveness

보름달 (Full Moon)

“Are you still mad at Kai?” Chanyeol whispered in her ears. Haruka rolled her eyes. “It’s not that I’m angry with him, Chanyeol-ah—but, it’s about my pride—as a woman. He definitely saw everything—everything! I’m not mad—I’m not mad. It’s just—oh! I don’t know if I can face him after this.” Again, Haruka covered her face.

“Haru-ya, don’t you want to see Baekhyun?” Suho who just came out from the room, asked Haruka.

“Yeah, of course.” Haruka got up and entered the room along with Chanyeol.

In the room, Haruka could see Baekhyun weakly lying on the bed. He had his head, arms, and legs bandaged. When Haruka and Chanyeol came, Baekhyun gave them a slight smile. Haruka understood. It had to be hard for Baekhyun to even move his lips. He looked extremely pathetic and weak. Haruka quickly sat on the edge of the bed and looked at Baekhyun sympathetically.

“Are you alright? It must hurt so much…” Haruka sighed, feeling miserable. Baekhyun shook his head weakly. He spoke softly, “I feel better.”

“The oppas told me about Luhan who is a werewolf. I wanted to help you that night though, Oppa, but I found it hard to get myself up. If they didn’t come in time, I could have been like this too right now. So, I want to thank and apologize to you,”

Baekhyun shook his head again. Haruka leaned her ear closer to Baekhyun’s mouth, so she could hear it clearly. Baekhyun said 5 words that made her goosebump. “I have to protect you”, that words really meant a thing for Haruka. It’s like—Baekhyun gave all his life to Haruka in order to protect her. It’s a life. You could never play with a word life.

“Oppa, don’t ever do that again. Don’t hurt yourself in order to protect me. I hate it.”

Chanyeol patted Haruka’s shoulder gently. “I would do the same if I were in Baekhyun’s position, Haruka. Don’t be too guilty. It’s not our fault.”

Baekhyun smiled, agreeing Chanyeol’s words just now.

“Baekhyun-ah, has Luhan visited you?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s ok if he doesn’t want to meet me. I understand his situation. Just make sure one thing that he’s alright. Don’t let him hurt himself.” He said weakly.

“I’ll go find him with Sehun after this. Don’t worry too much. Luhan will be alright.”

“Oppa, get well soon. I hope you recover as soon as possible. I’ll come over every day. I promise.” Haruka smiled brightly.

“Haruka, stay here for a moment. I’ll go out for a moment to talk to Sehun about this. Wait, okay? Don’t go anywhere.”

“Okay.”

After Chanyeol left the room, silence approached. Baekhyun was no longer looking at her. He looked at the window, feeling regretful. Haruka was sure there was something bothering his mind. So she bluntly asked, “what’s wrong, Oppa?”

“I should have protected you, but I didn’t.”

Haruka was petrified. She didn’t understand what Baekhyun was saying just now.

“Oppa, you protect me better than anyone else. You sacrificed your life, Oppa. It’s more than enough for me. My heart hurts so much looking how weak you are right now. I’m the one who is feeling regretful. I owe you my life, really…”

Baekhyun sighed. “You’re my responsibility.” He mumbled.

Baekhyun then told her about the real situation happened last night. “Luhan called me that evening, telling me that I should have been with you because you might be in danger. But I was far away—it’s almost impossible to come back in a speed of light. But I headed back anyway.” Baekhyun took a deep breath. He looked exhausted, making Haruka worried even more.

“It was full moon. He would sooner or later turn into a werewolf, but he endured and ran all his might to save you. I warned him many times, but he kept arguing—convincing me that he wouldn’t harm you, not a single flaw. I thought I might be late—yes. So, I called Kyungsoo to follow him afterwards.” Baekhyun took a deep breath again and continued, “He couldn’t control himself after picking you up—Kyungsoo told me. And luckily, I come just in time.”

Haruka nodded weakly. Her mind was still full of regret. “It’s a relief…” she said in low tone.

“You shine bright like a moon, even brighter in the night. A werewolf did transformation in full moon. It’s the reason why Luhan often can’t control himself when he’s close to you in the night. You are as bright as a full moon.”

Haruka looked at Baekhyun blankly. “That might be the case.”

“But you’ll lose your shine when you’re sad.” Baekhyun said softly. “Because you’re the moon.” He continued.

Haruka giggled as her tears flowed down.

“I said you’re not shining—” Baekhyun’s words were cut off as Haruka’s lips landed on his left cheek.

Baekhyun had lost his sense. He was flying with so many colorful butterflies to the sky, that kind of feeling. He might be dreaming, but he didn’t. Haruka’s lips felt so soft and he still could feel it now. It lasted for only three seconds, but the aftereffect lasted longer.

“I—don’t know how to thank you, Oppa. I really owe you my life. If I can’t repay you until I die, I’ll make sure to come to you and repay you in the next life.” She said while grabbing Baekhyun’s left hand and holding it warmly.

Suddenly, someone’s coming without knocking the door. It was Kai. He looked incredibly handsome and outstanding—but Haruka tried not to fall for him. He brought a basket full of oranges. As Kai walked closer, Haruka turned away her face. She wasn’t mad, no she wasn’t. It was more like, she was terribly embarrassed with Kai after that incident. You knew that feeling when a guy undressed your outfit without getting your permission, how would you feel then? Rather than angry, it was embarrassing.

Kai put down the basket on the table next to the bed. He didn’t smile, but he greeted Baekhyun in a cool way. “What’s up, Hyung!”

“I’m way better. What do you bring?”

“Oranges from me and Kyungsoo. We personally chose the oranges—the best shaped oranges.” Kai giggled. “You look terrible, Hyung.”

Baekhyun smirked—because he couldn’t smile. “Not that bad. I’m feeling good.”

“Aish, Hyung… don’t joke me. I know how it feels. It’s burning indeed.” Kai clicked his tongue and smiled. He sensed something.

“Yeah—burning.” Baekhyun mumbled.

He wasn’t sure what’s burning more, his wound or his cheek. In fact that Haruka still kept his hand in hers under the blanket. It felt so warm and soft, as soft as her lips. Although at first he thought that Haruka’s hand contained electric current, but it was getting comfortable now.

“Well—since you have to rest, I better go now, but I’m not sure if Haruka wants to go home with me or not. Nobody’s outside.”

“I—can take a bus.” Haruka answered coldly.

“Oh, c’mon, can’t you just forgive me? I really did it because—you might get sick if you kept wearing those wet and—smelly—clothes. It’s already y though—the clothes you wore.” Kai sighed heavily. “What’s the point then?”

“What happened actually?” Baekhyun asked curiously.

“Nothing big, nothing big.” Haruka smiled.

“Oh! C’mon, Haruka, if it’s nothing big why are you being like this?” Kai continued. “She went to a night club and got drunk. She threw up several times and her clothes got dirty—and smelly. Because she might get sick if she kept wearing those clothes, so we decided to change her clothes. You know yourself, Hyung. Everybody would ask me to do it because they thought it was the wisest, wisest, wisest decision. And now, she blames me because of that. Oh—”

“But you saw it all…” Haruka insisted.

“You still wore your underwear though!”

“See, you even saw my underwear!”

“But I didn’t do anything to you. I swear by the name of God.”

Haruka covered her face. She truly felt like crying out loud, crying of embarrassment.

“C’mon, let’s talk outside…” Kai gently grabbed Haruka’s wrist and brought her outside, leaving the weak Baekhyun on the bed.

“I’m sorry, okay?” Kai cupped Haruka’s head and looked straight to her eyes. “I promise, I won’t do that again and I won’t spread anything about this. I’ll forget it. Just trust me once, Haruka. You don’t have to be embarrassed with me. It’s okay, really.”

Haruka gathered her courage to look into Kai’s eyes. She found no lies there.

“I’m sorry…” he said again, sincerely.

“That’s—fine.”

“If it’s fine, stop crying then. Aigoo, this cry baby…” Kai wiped Haruka’s tears with his thumbs. “And promise me one thing that you will never step your foot in that place ever again.” He said.

“I wanted to protect my pride—at least in front of Minhwa.”

Kai sighed. “Never again. It’s sickening to hear that name, okay? Let’s eat somewhere. I’ll treat you. Kaja.”

 

***