Meeting Parents

보름달 (Full Moon)

They were finally on the way to meet their parents. Everybody looked so tensed, no exception for Haruka. Her face suddenly turned pale as they were getting closer and closer to their room. Now, even if she wanted to flee, she had no time. It was too late to turn back. Suho held her shoulder firmly, giving all his energy to his only sister. He then nodded to the guardians.

“Mama, the princes coming…” The guard shouted to give a sign before he opened the door.

The door was opened and they could see the king and the queen were having some tea while chitchatting. The queen suddenly turned her head, facing her children. She smiled to them warmly. “Oh, uri Jongwol—are you feeling better? Have you drunk the herbal tea? It makes you healthier.” She stood up and approached Kai, his head gently.

“Omamama—I’m—all better. It may be shocking, but—there’s something we have to tell.” Kai said stutteredly.

“Come in, don’t talk in front of the door.”

“Let’s go in…” the queen quickly helped Kai.

“Omamama—we—” Suho suddenly stopped. “Why don’t you come in?” Suho pushed Haruka’s back lightly and helped her with her hanbok.

“Who is she, Myunwol?” King Sooman asked Suho curiously.

Suho didn’t answer until they were all seated, facing each other. Their parents looked carefully to Haruka who stayed quiet all the time.

“Abamama, Omamama… It might be shocking, but we have no other choice but to bring her back.” Kai patted Haruka’s shoulder. “It’s too dangerous outside.”

“Jongwol-ah, we don’t understand. What are you trying to say?” the queen asked.

“Moonwol—she’s Moonwol. She’s Abamama and omamama’s daughter. We bring her here because there’s nomore safe there.”

“Jongwol-ah, stop that nonsense. Myunwol, get your dongsaeng out from here, so he can get some rest.” King Sooman also said.

“Abamama, she’s really Moonwol.” He stuttered.

“Nonsense! Myunwol, Sewol, Jongwol, your sister will never be found. It’s impossible. It’s better for her to live in the different era with us as long as she’s safe. You know that we’re not talking about this anymore, right? It’s taboo.”

“Abamama—it’s really Moonwol. I assure you she’s really Moonwol. Look carefully, Omamama, Abamama. How can’t you recognize her? You said yourself that she’s as bright as the moon, even brighter. Isn’t she shining now?” Sehun also helped.

Kai nodded and made himself closer to Haruka. “Don’t we resemble?”

“It doesn’t make sense…” the queen whose her tears were already tearing down. She stood up and came towards Haruka who was again still quiet. Her hands cupped Haruka’s cheeks, checking if she’s really her daughter or not. She then shook her head. “Can I see your shoulder, Agasshi?” she asked.

“Impossible. We something on her shoulder, right?” King Sooman asked.

His wife nodded.

Suho came closer to Haruka and whispered, “Do you have something on your shoulder? Let them see it.”

Haruka understood and opened her top part of her hanbok, showing his glowing skin and her bare shoulders. As they saw the mark, the of ‘wol’ letter in hanja ‘月’ which had meaning ‘moon’, all of them were so speechless. The queen couldn’t help but to cry out loud and hug Haruka as tight as she could, making her out of breathe. King Sooman also stood up and came towards them.

“I’ve been so sure eversince I saw that mark on Haruka’s shoulder, Hyung…” Kai said. He saw it already—that mark—when he changed Haruka’s clothes and he coincidentally saw her shoulder. He was unsure, but after seeing it, he became really sure.

“It’s not true, it’s not true… She’s really Moonwol. The mark—we it right after she was born. I remember it clearly. It can’t be true. Moonwol-ah…”

“Moonwol-ah…” their mother cried a river and didn’t let her hand go off Haruka. Haruka was confused at the moment because it was so sudden. She knew, she should be happy that she finally found their parents. She was happy though, too happy that she became emotionless. “Moonwol-ah, this is your mother, Moonwol-ah. I’m sorry—I’m sorry for making you live hardly outside without getting our love and care.”

“Is it really you, Omma?” Haruka asked, making her first sound. “It’s too unbelieveable. I’m just a girl from the orphanage. They said my parents left me in front of the door the day I was born. If it’s really you—my mother and my father—why—why did you leave me alone at that orphanage? What did I do wrong?” Haruka hardly held back her tears.

“We did this because you are precious, Moonwol-ah. We don’t want to kill you. If we keep you here, they will kill you. They will find a way to kill you. We can’t do that, Moonwol-ah, we can’t do that…”

“Uri ddal…” King Sooman held Haruka’s hand tightly. “It’s you, Moonwol-ah. We thought we would never see you again.”

“Still, you shouldn’t have left me in front of that orphanage door. I was living in jealousy. All of my friends—they have parents. When it comes to parents’ meeting, all of them come, but I don’t have either father or mother. I used to live alone, pathetically. It’s—not fair. I actually have parents and they don’t abandone me—I always wanted to say that to all of them who mocked me of not having parents.”

“I’m sorry, Moonwol-ah, I’m sorry…”

Suho stepped down. “Moonwol-ah, I know you must feel unfair. But listen, every night our parents sleep with their eyes open. They worry about you so much. Every time they walk around the palace and see a girl, it will remind them of you. We were so worried that we decided to go to the 21st century to find you. Look, Moonwol-ah, we—never—ever—abandone you. It’s for your sake.”

“Twin, just forget your past life. Let’s make good memories starts from today, uh?” Kai smiled to her. It’s the first time he smiled and he looked totally handsome.

“I just—I just can’t help…” Haruka sighed, wiping her tears. “Because I miss you so much. Every night I always pray to the God, so I can see my parents’ face, because I miss you so much, because I miss you too much…” She ended up giving her hug to her mother and father, tightly. “Well, let’s make good memories.” She mumbled.

 

***