The History Is In My Hand

보름달 (Full Moon)

Another day started and luckily it ran smoothly. There was no attacking last night and everything was safe. As soon as the sun rose, Haruka woke up and with the help of her assistants, she took a bath—with so many flowers floating in her bathtube. Today, she wore pink and tosca hanbok. It fit perfectly on Haruka’s body. Her hair, as usual, was braided prettily by Julbong. Julbong also put some make up to Haruka’s face. She was totally great and multitalented. Although Julbong seemed to be very mad at her yesterday, but today she looked just fine, forgetting what happened yesterday.

As she finished with her make up and also finished her breakfast, she quickly got out from her pavilion. Julbong and the other maids had to run to follow her. It was quite surprising that she found a familiar person sitting on the persimmon tree. It wasn’t Luhan, but Minseok, Luhan’s friend which was also a werewolf. He was eating the half-ripened persimmon deliciously. It was quite shocking since werewolves didn’t eat fruit.

“Oh—Gongju, annyeong…” He greeted Haruka who just came out from her pavilion cheerfully.

He threw the persimmon and jumped down, approaching the dumbfounded Haruka.

“Have you slept well, Gongju?” he asked while walking closer towards Haruka. At that time, someone suddenly stopped him. Just like a thunder, he came in a blink of eyes.

“Minseok-ah, don’t go overbroad…” he rustled.

“Chanyeol-ah, it’s like you know me just yesterday, okay? Look, I even eat those persimmons.” He hit Chanyeol’s shoulder gently, but Chanyeol moaned in pain. Chanyeol hissed, “Still, you have to distance yourself from her. I don’t want to take any risk.”

“Minseok Oppa, why are you here?” Haruka ran happily towards them.

“Gongju Agasshi, it’s dangerous…” Julbong blocked her.

“Julbong-ah, I know him. He won’t eat me, okay?” Haruka grumbled and pushed Julbong’s body aside. “Oppa, why are you here? Are you alone? And why do you eat that persimmon? Do werewolves always eat persimmon?”

Minseok giggled as he listened to Haruka’s unstoppable questions.

“Taking shift to be this palace’s dog, in case there is sudden attack. It’s supposed to be Chen, but I’m afraid he will lose control when he sees you.” He answered coolly. Minseok was like common people. He was calm and wise. Haruka doubted that he was really a werewolf or not. “I’m a vegetarian—not eating meat. Well, I’m still trying though.”

“And how about Luhan?” She asked bluntly.

“Luhan is not here. I don’t know where he is.” He answered in relax tone. “Are you worried about him?”

“Just—”

“It’s not necessary to worry about him, Gongju Agasshi.” He smiled. Minseok smiled. He was sweet when he smiled. “Since he can protect himself, you don’t need to worry.”

“Well, since everything is alright, I gotta go…” Minseok said.

“Wait, Oppa—”

Minseok laughed. “Just call me Minseok. My status is much lower than you, Gongju Agasshi.”

“Who cares with status and whatsoever, Oppa…” Haruka rolled her eyes. “I want to tell you something, but it’s secret…”

Minseok raised one of his eyebrows. “What is it about?”

“Chanyeol-ah, would you stop blocking me? I want to say something to Minseok Oppa.”

“Forgive me, Gongju-nim, but it’s too dangerous. Although he seemed tame, we still can’t trust him.” He replied.

“Chanyeol-ah, aren’t you being too much?” Haruka pushed Chanyeol’s body aside and ran towards Minseok who was standing still. He laughed, hearing what Chanyeol just said but he wasn’t angry.

Minseok really didn’t lose his control and he seemed alright to be close to Haruka. That girl even whispered to Minseok’s ears. Chanyeol didn’t make a move. So, she assumed that Chanyeol just pretended to be strict by prohibiting them to be too close. Of course, Chanyeol knew that Minseok was the best at self-control. They knew each other long time ago.

“Okay, I’ll deliver the message.” Minseok winked to Haruka. “Chanyeol-ah, I’m off first.”

After sending Minseok off, they didn’t say much. The only thing Haruka had just realized that Baekhyun was nowhere in the pavilion. There was only Chanyeol—and he wasn’t wearing his purple hanbok—the official color of his regiment. Just for information, every regiment is leaded by Hwarang, and every regiment has its official color and symbol. Chanyeol, once again, wasn’t wearing his purple hanbok, but all black outfits, the same outfits that Baekhyun wore yesterday.

“By the way, where’s Baekhyun Oppa?” Finally, Haruka asked out her curiousness.

“Baekhyun? I haven’t seen him since yesterday, Gongju-nim. What’s the matter?”

“Uh—shouldn’t he be my personal guard?”

“Gongju-nim, but you said yourself that you didn’t want him to be your guard, so he left and asked me to handle his position for a while until he found someone who can replace his position. He shouldn’t go too far though…”

“What??? I didn’t say that—oh, gosh—he must have misunderstood my words.” Haruka squatted and pouted her cheeks cutely. “Oh, I’m getting mad. He can’t be like this to me. No, no, no, he must not be leaving, right, Chanyeol-ah?”

“Moonwol? What happened?” Suho suddenly appeared in front of them.

“Orabeoni, Baekhyun Oppa left me…”

“Moonwol-ah, I told him to,” Suho revealed.

“What? Orabeoni told him to leave?”

“Baekhyun came to me yesterday and told me that you didn’t want to be guarded by him. But I’m sure he’s not leaving. Chanyeol-ah?” Suho glared to Chanyeol.

“Ne, Jeonha?”

“Guard her from now on.”

Haruka covered her face with her small hands. She cried a river. She shouldn’t have said that to Baekhyun. Now it was just too late, she mourned. “Orabeoni, Baekhyun Oppa—bring him back to me…” she said stutteredly.

“Oy, twin!” Kai yelled out loud from his pavilion, waving his hand to her, but Haruka didn’t seem to care, so Kai decided to approach her.

“What’s going on actually in this early morning?” Kai asked in confuse.

“Baekhyun left me…” She sobbed really hard.

“Baekhyun?” Kai almost laughed, but he restrained it. “Aaah… but I just met him to practice my sword at dawn. He must be in his room right now.”

Haruka stopped sobbing. She threw a deadly glare to Suho and Chanyeol who also seemed to restrain their laugh. “Suho Oppa, it’s not funny!” Haruka pushed Suho and ran toward the west palace, a place for Hwarang.

“Ya, Moonwol-ah, call me Orabeoni!!”

She heard Suho’s warning, but she didn’t even turn her head back. She also didn’t care for Julbong and the other maids who were after her. When she arrived at the west palace, it was already crowded. They were practicing sword diligently. As they saw Haruka came, all of them bowed to her, stopping their practice for a while. Haruka didn’t see Baekhyun anywhere. As she scanned them all, she was sure that Baekhyun wasn’t practicing, so she quickly headed to Baekhyun’s room.

She opened the door without even knocking. She found him!—lying on the floor with his sword in his fist. Haruka was so relieved that she suddenly jumped onto him and hugged him tightly. Baekhyun, in other hand, was shocked that he almost swung his sword to Haruka’s neck. But he stopped when he suddenly smelt the scent he liked, the sweet scent of Haruka.

“Gongju Agasshi, is that you?” He asked to make sure.

“Oppa! Don’t you dare to replace yourself with Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun smiled indeed. Haruka might not know how happy he was right now. He might be selfish, but he felt that he’d won over Luhan somehow.

“Gongju, I—can’t—breathe…” Baekhyun said as Haruka hugged him tighter than ever before.

“Oppa, where were you? What did you do last night? I woke up but I didn’t see you this morning. Oppa, you even choose to leave me instead of calling me by my name. Oh—I don’t know why you are so stubborn…” Haruka loosened her hug. Right now her eyes went straightly into Baekhyun’s eyes.

Now, Baekhyun could see Haruka’s face. She was all pretty. Her lips were polished with pink lipstick and Baekhyun could smell cherry vaguely. Her cheeks were blushed in pink and it made her look totally dazzling. Although it wasn’t that clear because the room was dim, surely, Haruka looked so beautiful. She always looked beautiful in his eyes.

Baekhyun got up, softly.

“Oppa, you don’t want to be my guard? Oppa, didn’t I say I trust you?” She asked.

“It’s my honor, Gongju Agasshi. But calling you by your name is far too much for me. I’m just a commoner. I live to serve The Royal Family, protecting the whole family with all my life. It’s my fate and I never regret it. Being able to serve The Royal Family is really a great great honor for me.”

“Oppa, what are you trying to say?”

Someone’s coming. It was D.O, wearing red hanbok. He was quite startled to find Haruka in Baekhyun’s room, but then, he entered like nothing happened.

“I bring your breakfast and some medicine…”

Haruka held Baekhyun’s hand. “Oppa, are you hurt somewhere? Are you sick?” she looked absolutely worried.

“No, just—”

“Aish, what are you hiding, Hyung… His broken ribs always hurt when he gets exhausted.” D.O caught the shock expression of Haruka after hearing ‘broken ribs’, so he quickly clarified it. “Ah, it used to be broken but hyung is now alright. It sometimes makes him a little uncomfortable.”

“Still, it’s so worrisome.” Haruka grumbled.

Baekhyun ate his breakfast and took some medicine D.O brought. After he finished it all, Baekhyun got up, grabbing a bag of arrows with him. Actually he was feeling worse after he drank the medicine, but he pretended not to. He was about to go out when suddenly he felt so weak that he couldn’t stand on his feet. He fell down—fainted.

Haruka was hysteric.

“Oppa!!!”

D.O blocked her. “Don’t worry, Gongju Agasshi…” he got up and hardly carried the fainted Baekhyun to his bed. He rid all of his stuff and even took off his clothes. “Myunwol Wangseja told me to give that medicine to Baekhyun—nnggrr—” he groaned as he carried Baekhyun to take off his clothes.

Haruka crawled to the other side, still with her terribly worried expression. She finally saw Baekhyun’s body which had so many bruises. It’s her second time.

“The medicine will make him sleep. If we don’t do this, he might get less sleep.”

“He’s so stubborn…” D.O grumbled. “I’m sure he suffers every night because of this.”

He deftly put some pounded herbs on top of Baekhyun’s stomach, chest, and arms—almost all of them got bruised. Baekhyun made a little move everytime D.O put the herbs on his bruise, but his eyes were still closed.

“Oppa, how did he get these bruises?”

“He fights a lot.” He said while having his hand busy with the herbs. “He always tells me about anything, about his feeling, about his secret. Hyung is very humble and very dedicated. He is the one I respect the most. He is very loyal though. He always says that he wants to serve The Royal Family all his entire life.”

“He said that to me…” Haruka sighed.

“He has a very big heart. Two years ago, his father died. I’m sure that his father is the reason why he wants to serve The Royal Family all his might. If I were him, I would probably just—continue to live as a commoner.”

“His father died?” Haruka repeated.

“You might not know that his father died in order to protect Jongwol Wangseja. Two years ago, Yeotbam Kingdom attacked us and Jongwol Wangseja was almost killed. Hyung’s father saved Seja by blocking him from the poisonous arrow.” D.O told her. “After that, Jongwol Wangseja decided to learn sword with hyung. Seja used to be afraid with sword after all, but he mastered it now.”

“That’s interesting. Jongwol used to be afraid with sword?” Haruka laughed. “Anyway, you said Yeotbam Kingdom? Is that the one who attacked us yesterday?”

D.O nodded. “We have bad relationship with Yeotbam.”

“Is it related to—me?”

“Yes it is.” He answered briefly. “Don’t tell me you don’t even know why everything happens.”

Haruka nodded enthusiastically. “That’s right. Ever since I stepped my feet inside this palace, nobody tells me about this matter. Surely, I want to ask—but, well it makes me look that I believe these things, right?” Haruka quickly added. “Of course, I believe that Joseon Dynasty exists. What I don’t believe is—me—happening to be in 14th century with you. People in 21st century haven’t invented teleportation yet.”

D.O sighed as he covered Baekhyun’s body with warm blanket. “If I were you, I would have also disbelieved with all these nonsenses. But trust me, Gongju Agasshi, it’s real. Someday it will be a history.” He said softly.

“So, Oppa, tell me why it happens…”

“It was just fine when Myunwol and Sewol Wangseja were born. The economic was stable and everything was just fine, no problem. But then came a prediction—”

There will be born a baby girl who is brighter than a moon. You’re going to stop but she will take over soon. This girl will absorb all the positive energy in Joseon land, be careful because she can make you down. This girl will hold the biggest control of the viability of all the living things, sure, she will make us down. With her overwhelming beauty, she can trick you and make you trapped. Once you’re trapped, it’s a destiny you can’t change. If you’re trapped, fate will never let you free. Full moon is the key.

“Oppa?” Haruka shook his shoulder quite strong to make him back to his sense. “Oppa, what prediction?” she asked again.

“I’m not sure, but it’s something like this—there will be born a baby girl who is brighter than a moon. She will bring so much luck, but she will bring disaster for other kingdoms because she holds the biggest control of all the viability—oh, I can’t remember the complete one.” He said. Ok, well, he lied. Of course he remembered. All people remembered about this prediction because they were afraid about that.

“And that girl is—” Haruka stopped. “That girl is me?”

“Right after the prediction released, The Queen gave birth to Jongwol Wangseja and Gongju-nim. It was full moon then, and the prediction was just right. The King commanded us to shut up about your birth and only revealed about Jongwol Wangseja’s birth.” D.O chuckled in miserable tone. “But you know, secret won’t last forever…”

“Did someone reveal the truth?”

D.O answered it with his sharp gaze.

“Internal people revealed it outside, such a blabbermouth.”

“But why, Oppa? I won’t do anything risky to other kingdoms! Why would I bring disaster then?” Haruka blamed D.O for no reasons. She was now getting sulky all of sudden.

“I believe you won’t, but people believe that nonsense prediction already. It’s just the matter of misunderstanding. An old man with supernatural power just came in the right time. He helped The Royal Family to hide you in the 21st century. Just like magic, you’re transferred to other era. That’s why you ended up living as an orphan in Yeosu.”

“And why suddenly you came to the 21st century?” She asked.

“Because the old man suddenly appeared and told us to get you and bring you back to the 14th century. If we keep you in 21st century, it will change the history then.”

Haruka sighed. “What should I do, then?”

“Haruka…” for the first time D.O called her name and she felt goosebumps all of sudden. “I say this not as a soldier of the kingdom. I say this as your friend who used to share happy and sad moments with you.” His words just came out sincerely.

“Up until today, the poverty is getting worse. The economic in Joseon land is in deep crisis. People start to pry up and relate everything that happens right now with the prediction 18 years ago. They start to believe the prediction even more. If they know you are here now, you’ll be in very great danger. All of them will try to kill you.”

Haruka widened her eyes.

“Whether the history will change or not, just try living it once. You were born in the 14th century. You should at least spend your life as a girl in the 14th century.”

“Oppa, does it mean that I can’t go back to Seoul and have to deal with the problem here?”

“You determine the history.” D.O said.

“Then, I might be killed!” Haruka squeaked. She grasped D.O’s arm tightly. “Oppa, I’m... scared…”

 

***