Two Is Better Than One

보름달 (Full Moon)

A year ago…

 

“I really want to protect her…” Suho said.

They were in Suho’s pavilion. There were Sehun, Kai, Baekhyun, D.O, Chanyeol, even Luhan, Minseok, and Chen. Suho called them all to discuss about something.

“Hyung, don’t worry… Look, we’re in her side, Jongwol, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, even the werewolves too. All of us are in Moonwol’s side. We will protect her no matter what. What’s the matter then?” Sehun asked.

“Guys, you know we can’t be selfish ourself.”

Chanyeol looked even more confused. Well, they had been talking about this, but suddenly Suho acted differently eversince The King called him privately. In fact, they had been planning to protect Haruka together, running away from the citizens that were against them.

“Hyungnim, what’s the matter?”

Suho sighed. His face looked so gloomy.

“Hyung, it’s not a good new, is it?” Kai guessed and he was right.

Suho nodded.

“I—really want to protect her, but we can’t be selfish. The economic status in Joseon is getting down and down. Poverty is getting higher and higher. If it continues like this, Joseon will collapse.”

“But—” Sehun tried to speak, but Suho cut him down. “Hundreds people are dying every day because they can’t eat!”

“Why don’t we just give them something to eat? Let’s discuss this with abamama. He will understand…” Kai was about to stand up when Suho once again sighed deeply.

“Jongwol-ah!” Suho suddenly yelled at Kai, making the rest startled.

“Why are you suddenly being like this, Hyung?” D.O asked innocently because he still couldn’t believe that Suho had changed his mind. Suho used to be the one who always eagerly wanted to protect Moonwol, but he seemed to be different today.

“Abamama told me to give up protecting her. I know it’s the hardest decision he had ever made for his entire life. The King has to protect the family and the citizens as well. But if he were to choose between saving her only daughter or the whole Joseon, what do you think he would choose then? One person compared to Millions people—what do you think would be better to choose?”

“But we can save both, right? Hyung, you told me to always think positively…” Sehun said.

“Guys, later on, I will become the king as well. If I were to choose now, I definitely would choose to save Moonwol. But as a king, it would be too selfish. Whatever it is, Moonwol is going to destroy Joseon land—”

“What she did so wrong, Hyung? She even doesn’t know that she is actually a princess. Hyung, please… You have to think it again…” Kai said.

“So, what are you going to do if you were me? Keep on protecting her?” Suho asked viciously to Kai and Sehun. Then he looked at Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and D.O.

“We can’t let it happen. I don’t know what will be going on, but I’m on your side. I think it’s the wisest decision.” Luhan stood up. “Hyung, I leave it to you…” after saying that to Minseok, he went out.

“I can’t agree more. If we take a look at it, one person compared to all people in Joseon—I think it will be too selfish if we choose to protect the one who might cause many troubles.” Minseok said wisely while showing his grin.

“Sewol-ah, Jongwol-ah… how about you? What would you do if you were to be the king? Whatever it is, The King has to be wise. The King is not only the leader for the family, but also the leader of the citizens as well. To be honest, I was hesitant at first, but I know the answer is right in front of my eyes. What I have to do and what I must not do.”

“The citizens—must be suffering…” Sehun finally said.

“Jongwol-ah…” Suho called again to confirm his decision.

“Hyung,” Kai faced the ground.

“You know the answer, Jongwol-ah. Let’s not make it complicated.” Suho grumbled. He then pointed at Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and D.O. “It’s too pity but we have to change all the plans. Remember one thing that we’re doing this because of citizens. We don’t do this because we hate her, but because it’s the best for our country.”

“Ne, Jeonha…” Chanyeol and D.O answered together.

“So, we catch her to kill her?” Minseok asked.

“We have no choice but to do it. We have to—kill her.” Suho answered it half-heartedly.

“Jeonha, if you can’t do it, then leave it to us…” Minseok said. “I know it must be hard for you to do it. Let’s make it like we’re the ones who kill her.”

“Do it as you want, but we have to wait for the perfect time…” Suho continued. “Sooner or later, people from Yeotbam Kingdom will come and we don’t have any choice but to join force with them.”

“Yeotbam Kingdom? You mean—Kris?” Sehun asked cluelessly.

“I met Kris a few days ago, talking about this. He just wanted to make sure that we fulfill our promise to kill her. If once he knows that we break the promise, he will be the one who kills her.”

“Hyung! It’s just not right!” Kai insisted.

“Hyungnim…” Baekhyun grasped his sword.

All of them looked at him. Suho pleased him to speak up.

“If all of you are to kill her, then she won’t have any defense. It’s too unfair and cruel. Isn’t it better for her to have at least one person to protect her? Well—I know one person isn’t enough to handle the huge group of people, but having someone who is willing to protect her might give her an ease though…” Baekhyun said with his head facing the ground.

“No one’s willing to do that, Baekhyun-ah…”

“Hyungnim,” Baekhyun lift his head. “Let me do that…”

“Baekhyun-ah!” Kai yelled.

Suho sighed. “But it means that you have to face us. You have to face the huge group of people. If it’s one person—you might die!”

“Hyungnim, even if I die, I won’t be dead. She has no one. Even her family won’t protect her. Even her family will betray her. This is the best thing I can give for the kingdom. The kingdom has given me so much that I could never repay it. If it’s hard for The Royal Family to protect her, I will be the one behalf The Royal Family.” Baekhyun bowed 90 degrees.

Baekhyun said convincingly. “Hyungnim, let me do it…”

 

***