Heart War

보름달 (Full Moon)

Haruka had to spend day by day in the palace which she thought was a boresome. The palace, the scenery, the culture—she liked them all, no exception. Her brother taught her a lot of new things she didn’t know before. Minseok, Luhan, and Chen sometimes came over, and they would have some tea while chitchatting—of course, they couldn’t avoid Suho who always grumbled and complained about their smell. After dinner time, The King always gathered all of the family in his room and they would talk about anything. One more improvement, Haruka was now closer to The King. The King granted all her wish—anything—just anything. He would be the one who laughed the loudest when Haruka told them a story. He surely gave so much attention to his only daughter, and after that, Kai would jealously say, “Abamama only loves his daughter…” It was a peaceful life though, but Haruka, indeed, missed the life she used to live back then. She missed Yeosu, her hometown. She missed street food such as ddokbokki and chicken skewer. She missed Minhwa.

“Gongju, what are you thinking about?” Baekhyun asked.

Baekhyun had already been back to her side, being her personal guard. She didn’t force him to call her Haruka all over again. Well—it’s not because she didn’t like Chanyeol to be her personal guard. But according to her opinion, Chanyeol wasn’t much stronger than Baekhyun. Although Chanyeol protected her well, but in the end she still wanted Baekhyun to be her guard.

“Oppa, you said that I can’t trust anybody in this world. That time, you said you really meant it. But Oppa, what if I really trust them? Can’t they see my sincerity? Can’t they just trust me back?”

“Gongju Agasshi, what are you talking about?”

“Just—because I have all of you. I think I can trust you guys. I want to trust you guys.”

Baekhyun smirked as he put down his sword, but he didn’t reply her.

Haruka continued, “Just because I have you guys near me, I feel safe and secure. I’m not afraid to face forward as long as I have you guys with me. I know that family never betrays. Oppa, am I right?”

Baekhyun sighed. “Yeah, they should never betray…”

Haruka felt relieved as she heard that answer from Baekhyun’s mouth. She felt like today she had to be grateful more and more that she still could enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful scenery. Yeah, D.O was right. She actually was born in the 14th century. She had to live it no matter what. She took a slight glance to Baekhyun who was still focusing himself to his sword. She clearly remembered what this guy had said a few days ago to her. “If billions people were facing you with their back, you could just find me because I would never give my back”. It was just so convincing.

“Just then—I’ve told you that this place has zillion stars. Don’t you want to see it, Gongju Agasshi? Since tonight is gonna be a full moon.”

Haruka widened her eyes in happiness.

“Oppa, that will be great…” she said cheerfully.

As the night came, Haruka was getting more and more excited. Unlike usual, The King didn’t gather all of them in his room. They split right away after they had dinner together. Haruka didn’t even know why today’s dinner seemed to be very quiet. Nobody talked during dinner, but Haruka didn’t take it as a big matter. She was just excited, knowing that tonight was gonna be full moon.

So that, Suho met Baekhyun after dinner in Baekhyun’s room. Baekhyun couldn’t lift his head up. He kept facing the ground without a reason. Suho tapped Baekhyun’s shoulder as if he cheered him up.

“Tonight is gonna be hectic.” Suho said softly, but Baekhyun could hear clearly. Suho, once again, tapped Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Baekhyun, you—you’ve been regarded as our family. It must be hard for you…”

Baekhyun finally lifted his head up. His eyes met Suho’s fiery eyes. “No, Jeonha, it must be harder for you and for your dongsaengs, especially for The Royal Family.”

“Are you sure about this? Well, it’s not late yet to say that you can’t do it. I know it must be hard for you, Baekhyun-ah. We give you so much burden. Whatever it is, but it’s now about life. You may danger your own life.”

Baekhyun nodded. “Jeonha, to serve The Royal Family is really the greatest honor in my life. Moonwol Gongju Agasshi, I will protect her no matter what.”

“You know whom you’ll be facing?” Suho asked in worrisome tone.

“Our father told me to be loyal, Jeonha, even if I were to against my own family. And for me, The Royal Family is like my own family. I grow up in this place. I learn many things in this place. I find nice and trustworthy brothers in this place.” Baekhyun said convincingly. “This matter, just leave it to me…”

“Baekhyun-ah!” Suho smashed the floor. “You know whom you’ll be facing? I ask you once again, do you know whom you’ll be facing?!”

“Jeonha…” Baekhyun kneeled down.

“Baekhyun-ah, I’m asking this because I can’t danger your life. Your father has sacrificed his life for The Royal Family. It’s a shame for us to let you sacrifice yours too.”

“Jeonha,” Baekhyun squeezed his fist. “Hyungnim…” He called again.

“Hyungnim, the only thing why I want to do this is because—I—I can’t let her die in my hand. Hyungnim, you know if I don’t choose this, I will be the one who kill her. No, Hyungnim, no. Instead of killing her with my hand, I’d rather protect her with all my life. Even if she is to be killed, they have to kill me first.” Baekhyun wiped his tears on the corner of his eyes. “Hyungnim, it’s because I love her.”

“Baekhyun-ah, you know you are so wrong to love her. You definitely know it, right?”

“Hyungnim,”

“Baekhyun-ah, I also find it hard. I don’t think I can live after this day. She’s my sister after all. All of us, we’ve been talking about this, right?”

“Hyungnim, I won’t regret. I will protect her.”

“Byun Baekhyun, make sure you protect her well.”

 

***