The Saviors

보름달 (Full Moon)

“Gongju Agasshi, pull the blue thread. It will be tangled if you pull the red one.” Queen Sunhwa pointed the blue thread.

They were sewing—learning to sew. Queen Sunhwa taught Haruka herself. At first, Haruka was excited yet enthusiastic when she knew that her mother would teach her how to sew. But as time goes by, she felt terribly bored. She was no longer interested. Although she missed her mother so much, but indeed she still couldn’t be used to her just in short period. Right now, she just felt like fleeing out of the palace and walking around to see how fascinating Korea in 14th century was.

One of the maids approached them and bowed 90 degrees. “Mama, there are some guests waiting for you…” she said.

“Who are they?”

“They said they come from Japan…”

“Ask them to wait.” She said. Then, she put all of the sewing stuff and touched Haruka’s hand. “Moonwol-ah, please continue until lunch time with Julbong. Start from now, she will be with you wherever you go. Sew it prettily and let me know later…”

“Ne, Omma—mama…” she quickly added ‘mama’.

Queen Sunhwa seemed to be very satisfied when Haruka called her. She smiled widely when she left.

Julbong, Haruka’s current maid, took over the queen’s work. She taught Haruka in detail. Haruka tried to catch up, but Julbong sewed too fast. It made her even more bored. Moreover, Julbong seemed not to pay attention to Haruka and only focus on her work. The other 2 maids were also sleepy and having their eyes closed. So, quietly, Haruka stood up and left them in hurry. She ran as fast as she could—with her heavy hanbok—towards the north gate because it wasn’t guarded strictly.

Haruka turned her head back, making sure the maid didn’t chase her. But when she was about to reach the gate, someone appeared magically in front of her.

“Ouch! You startle me!!” Haruka stopped and took a deep breath. Her heart almost dropped because Baekhyun appeared all of sudden. She even didn’t know where Baekhyun came from.

“Where are you going, Gongju Agasshi?” he asked.

“Oppa, I’m bored—really. I have to sew—well, it was interesting at first, but I’m just getting bored. I want to take a walk, just a minute.”

Baekhyun sighed. He looked so firm and strong with his clothes just now. He wore black clothes—all black—head to toe. He also had a bag of arrows on his back, a sword—real sword—hanging on his hip, and he was holding a wooden bow. He was flamboyant. It made Haruka doubt if it’s really Baekhyun she knew or not.

“Still, you can’t go out from this palace, Gongju Agasshi. You have to go back to have your sewing class.”

“I told you it’s boring though. Oppa, what have you been doing? What’s that? A bow?” she asked innocently.

“I’m in the middle of practice.” He said coolly.

“Oppa—”

“Gongju, just call me Baekhyun. We are in the palace. From now on, I will be you guard and I will make sure that you’re not in danger.”

“I know—I know—Baekhyun-ah. Are you satisfied?” Haruka almost shouted to blame her anger.  “Just walking around—it won’t take me long to just walk around to relieve my stress. It won’t be dangerous. Can’t I?”

“Hey, Gongju-nim—” a very cheerful voice greeted her.

“Haruka. Just call me that name once, can’t you?” she cut Chanyeol’s words as soon as he came.

Right now she looked desperate and frustrated. For the first time in her life, she wanted to be grateful that she lived in Seoul. She always wanted to live in Joseon era because she thought it was going to be excited. But she was wrong. It was complicated and there was no privacy, there was no freedom.

“What makes you upset, Gongju-nim? Does Baekhyun make you upset?” Chanyeol asked.

“All of you do.” She replied briefly.

“Us?” Chanyeol repeated.

“Gongju Agasshi, you said you wanted to walk around—should we go?” Baekhyun gave his bow and a bag of arrows to Chanyeol, leaving him in confused.

“Baekhyun-ah, isn’t it too risky to take her walk outside?” Chanyeol asked.

“I’ll try to lessen the risk. C’mon, Gongju Agasshi.”

Haruka lift her head up, staring back at Baekhyun. She pouted cutely. “Why do you change your mind, Oppa?”

“Gongju—” Chanyeol sighed. “You are now in the palace…” he whispered to Haruka.

“I know! It’s up to me, right? Didn’t you say that I’m a princess? It’s up to me to call you with any name.” She walked before Baekhyun. “C’mon, Oppa…”

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a sight with a thousand meanings. Chanyeol could do nothing except nodding and letting them go although his heart seemed to be uneasy.

In other hand, Baekhyun walked behind Haruka. Haruka sometimes stopped so she could walk side by side with him, but Baekhyun still made himself walk behind him. He said, “I can observe better when I walk behind you”. Of course it made Haruka sad and disappointed.

“Where are the oppas—I mean orabeoni?” Haruka asked after walking 5 minutes in silence.

“They are practicing sword right now.”

“Oppa, Where Luhan lives?”

Baekhyun suddenly felt his heart drop to his stomach when Haruka asked such question. He saw it all—the kiss—everything they did on the hill when the sun rose from the back of the tree. He knew he should prohibit them before their feelings got deeper to one another, because Luhan was dangerous, because Luhan was a werewolf. Sometimes he lost his control without he even realized it. They couldn’t be together. If there had to be someone who was to separate them, Baekhyun would be that person.

However, somehow, Baekhyun felt, it wasn’t because of that reason Baekhyun had to separate them. Luhan—Baekhyun had trusted him all his life. Eventhough sometimes Luhan might lose control, but Baekhyun knew for sure that Luhan would never intend to kill people. There were other reasons why he hated to see Haruka and Luhan together, definitely. And what he was afraid of was one of those reasons might be love. He wasn’t sure, of course, because he had never experienced this. Love? He didn’t know what it was. He just felt hurt—terribly hurt—when he saw Luhan kissed Haruka that time, when that wolf hugged her, when he thought that they were so romantic. It was more like disappointment. This was the first time Baekhyun felt this, so that’s why he wasn’t sure.

“Oppa?” Haruka called again because Baekhyun didn’t answer her question.

“Ngh—Luhan lives in the forest. It’s too dangerous there.”

Haruka nodded. “Is it possible if I come to visit him sometimes?”

“Impossible. You won’t know what will happen once you enter the forest.”

“But I want to meet him…”

That feeling came again, this time it hurt so much. It was more painful than the wound he got after his fight with Luhan. He couldn’t be jealous, no, he wasn’t.

“Oppa, I want to meet Luhan. Yesterday, he brought me to a hill when we could see sunrise. It was beautiful, Oppa. It’s heaven-like scenery, like you’ve said. I can’t wait the fullmoon, when I can see the zillion of stars you told me.”

“At that time—in fullmoon—it’s impossible for Luhan to come. He will be transforming into a werewolf. He will stay far away from the palace.”

Haruka stared at Baekhyun blankly. “That’s right. I know right. That’s why I want oppa to accompany me that night—to see the night sky with zillion stars. Oppa told me, right? You promised me.”

“Gongju Agasshi, it’s better for you to arrange you sleeping schedule.”

Haruka stared at him again. “Oppa, how do you know I have my sleeping schedule awful? Don’t tell me—”

“Your eyes are worse than a panda’s eyes, Gongju.”

Haruka didn’t know how to react. “Can’t you just call me by my name?”

“I just follow the rule. Since you’re now a princess, you ought to follow as well. Shall we go back to the palace? Julbong must be looking for you…”

“Wait,” Haruka blocked Baekhyun all of sudden.

“How about—calling me by my name when nobody’s around? Well, I love to be a princess, but it’s too burdensome. I’m not used to being called ‘gongju’. Just when nobody’s around, Oppa, I promise.”

“That means I break the rule.”

“You have to break the rules! Chanyeol told me that the rules are made to be broken.”

“That’s impossible for me to do.”

“Oh, c’mon, Oppa…”

“Haru-ya!” Baekhyun reflexly called her.

Haruka was shocked, but it seemed like she got shocked more because Baekhyun suddenly called her by her name.

Just then, Baekhyun grabbed Haruka’s hand, turned her body, and pulled her into his embrace. It was too fast until Haruka didn’t realize what was going on. All she knew was her head was now stuck to Baekhyun’s chest. She could barely hear his heartbeat. It was thumping fast, as fast as her heartbeat now. Haruka had to hold her breath. She didn’t know why she was doing that. Once again, Baekhyun saved her life from the flying arrow.

“We have to go back to the palace. It’s not safe here…” Baekhyun said.

“Oppa, what’s going on?” Haruka asked in fear.

Baekhyun didn’t answer. His eyes wandered around. He answered a moment later, when he suddenly recognized the situation.

“I don’t think you can run…” He mumbled.

“Oppa, what’s happening?”

“Let’s run…” he said then grabbed Haruka’s hand and brought her with him, running all their might again. Somehow, it reminded her with the incident a few days ago when she had to run, run, and run, struggling to get out from the deep forest until she was out of breath.

“Be careful!” Baekhyun hugged her. She almost got shot by an arrow again, but luckily Baekhyun was fast and able to protect her. She really wanted to give her life to him to pay him back.

“Ouch!” Haruka shrieked as she got tripped on the stony ground.

Baekhyun squatted in front of him and got him on him back. “Hang on,” he said.

As he kept on running, someone grabbed his arm firmly, pulled him to a dusty storage. Haruka fell right away from Baekhyun’s back, hitting her head and back to the dirty wooden floor. Baekhyun quickly helped Haruka to get up.

“I know it’s going to happen—I know it will be like this.” Someone grumbled. It was—luckily—Chanyeol, still with his purple hanbok. Not far from their spot, there was D.O who was sitting in relax. He even greeted them with his wide smile.

“Annyeong Hassimnikka, Gongju Agasshi…” he said.

“Oh, Kyungsoo Oppa!” Haruka shouted.

“Ssshh…” Baekhyun hurriedly covered .

“Don’t make any sound…” Chanyeol said voicelessly with his incredible gesture.

They stayed quiet for about 10 minutes. Everytime Haruka heard footsteps, her body would tremble and her breath became inconsistent. Her face was all pale and she was sweating a lot. Baekhyun had to hug her to make her calm. It wasn’t the first time she trembled so much. She always trembled when she felt scared or threatened. A hug, at least, made her less tremble.

“They’re gone. I swear I saw Kris just now.” D.O said.

“Gongju-nim? Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked.

“I’m afraid she’s not.” Baekhyun answered.

Chanyeol sighed heavily. “Bring her back safely, okay? Kyungsoo will guard you. I’ll go find Myunwol Wangseja. He was worried when I told him that Moonwol Gongju walked around the village with you.”

“That’s why we catch you up. Let’s go…” D.O went out first to make sure it’s really safe.

“Gongju Agasshi, are you alright?” Baekhyun asked.

“Oppa—I’m scared…” She quickly locked her hands together, surrounding his stomach.

“I think she can’t walk, Baekhyun-ah. Just carry her. Go back as fast as you can, I can’t assure it will be safe forever.” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun nodded lightly and carried Haruka, bringing her out from the storage house back to the palace. Luckily, it was safe. As soon as they reached the palace, Sehun and Kai ran towards them. They looked very worried. Suho and Chanyeol caught up behind them, also looking worried. Baekhyun brought her to the north palace, to her pavilion. Julbong, her maid, got hysteric when she saw Haruka was fainted in Baekhyun’s sling.

“She’s not hurt, is she?” Suho asked impatiently.

“No, Seja, she is alright. She’s just shocked.” Chanyeol answered.

Haruka didn’t let her hands off from Baekhyun’s clothes when Baekhyun laid him down. Baekhyun held her fist, about to let it off, but she grasped even tighter.

“Moonwol-ah—” Kai her hair. It became awful—her braided hair. “Moonwol, it’s okay, you are safe now…”

“Oppa—I’m scared,” Haruka was delirious. “Don’t—leave.” She said that to Baekhyun.

“Baekhyun-ah, stay here and don’t ever leave this room. Sewol-ah, go outside, let’s talk about this.” Suho turned his body wearily. “Chanyeol-ah, Kyungsoo-ya, you too…”

“Ne, Jeonha…” they replied together.

After all of them left, Kai helped Baekhyun to let Haruka’s hand off from Baekhyun’s clothes. They also covered her with warm blanket. But again, Haruka was delirious. Her body trembled again as soon as she lost what she grasped. Kai tried to calm her down but it didn’t work. Knowing that she was fine when she grasped Baekhyun’s clothes, Kai asked Baekhyun to hold her hand, so she could take a rest peacefully.

“It’s okay to hold her.  If you let your hand off, I’m afraid she keeps delirious.” Kai said.

Baekhyun slowly handed his palm to Haruka’s hand, letting her to hold his hand although it wasn’t as warm as Luhan’s hand. As soon as she held his hand, she was getting calm and fell asleep, a very deep sleep.

“It must be hard for her. I heard that she can’t sleep at night…”

“Ne, Jeonha.”

“It’s too risky to go back to Seoul right now. I’m sure they keep on attacking. They’ve known already about Moonwol’s presence. Surely, this news will spread to public and we will be in danger.”

“I will protect Gongju Agasshi. Don’t worry. I’ll protect her with all my life.”

Kai sighed. “Don’t jeopardize yourself, Baekhyun-ah. You’ve done so much for our life—The Royal Family’s life. Your father—he sacrificed his life for me. I don’t want to owe another life from your family, Baekhyun-ah.”

Baekhyun was quite shocked that Kai brought up about his father’s death all over again. He had begged Kai many times not to bring up his father and not to feel guilty about it. Kai, after all, still regretted and mourned about Baekhyun’s father who died after saving his life. Baekhyun himself now served himself to be a part of Boreumdal Kingdom’s defense, replacing his father. He learnt so fast. That’s why he became Hwarang in his early age. Even now he was no longer a Hwarang. He was now Haruka’s personal guard.

“Jeonha, it’s our honor. My father told me, people who died in order to protect someone’s life are not actually dead. They’re still alive. They will live forever in peace. They will always live in our heart. So, Jeonha, don’t blame yourself again. It’s our duty to protect The Royal Family.”

“Still—” Kai gave a sour smile to Baekhyun. “I can’t let you die, Baekhyun-ah. You, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Luhan, Minseok, Chen, and the hyungs, we’ve been together all this time, remember?—although sometimes we sit far away from Luhan because he’s too stinky. I’ve regarded you as my family. The hyungs also do.”

Kai continued. “Moreover Moonwol—you’ve been with her all this time, protecting and following her around whenever and wherever she goes. I think Moonwol also feels the way I feel. Not because we’re twins—because our relationship, you and us, is strong like a family. So, please, don’t jeopardize yourself, Baekhyun-ah. Being a personal guard is hard and too risky.”

“Jeonha…” This time Baekhyun lift his head and faced Kai. “I’ve chosen this way and I will live my life this way. I won’t jeopardize myself. Let Gongju Agasshi be guarded by me. I—promised to never give up on her, to protect her.”

“Well, it’s up to you then. I can’t force you.” Kai smiled. “I trust you, Baekhyun-ah, like Moonwol does.”

“Thank you, Jeonha, I will never disappoint you…”

 

***