Misunderstanding

보름달 (Full Moon)

At night, the scariest moment had come. The door was opened and Haruka knew it was Minhwa, who else? Right, Minhwa came, put off her shoes randomly, and ran directly towards Haruka. Haruka froze for a moment. She hoped the words she had prepared before Minhwa came weren’t forgotten. Haruka felt terribly sorry towards Minhwa about making her cake fall and lying to her. But what could she do? It was better to lie—she was sure Luhan would bring the cake tomorrow.

“Have you put the cake in his locker? Did he find it?” Minhwa asked impatiently, making Haruka felt even guiltier.

“I don’t know, Minhwa-ya. I put it—in his locker. He should have opened it and read your letter.”

Minhwa pouted her lips. “But he didn’t thank me. He passed by me, but—nothing happened. I wrote clearly what my name is, where my class is, and what I will be wearing—pink headbands. Tch, he surely has no sense. Or—”

Haruka widened her eyes, feeling feared.

“Did he pretend not to know me? There is probability he did that. Oh, Haru-ya, should I greet him first? Maybe he was embarrassed to greet me first.”

There was nothing Haruka could do except nodding and humming.

“But there is also possibility someone stole the cake. Oh—I’m going crazy just to think this. Haru-ya, are you sure you put the cake inside his locker—not anyone’s locker? I didn’t even see him bringing his cake to his friend. What so—he could have been bragged out, right? Why didn’t he do that?—being too .”

“What you need to do is—waiting, waiting, and waiting. Let’s wait until tomorrow. I’m sure he will—at least smile at you.” Haruka said.

“Yeah, let’s wait…”

It was relief that their talk ended up just like that. As the day changed, Haruka quickly washed her face, put some cologne, and combed her hair prettily. She had to meet Luhan before the school started to take the cake—strawberry cake he promised to buy. She even ran all the way to school. Luhan was already there when Haruka arrived. He really brought the cake, even bigger than yesterday.

“You have to—at least—buy the cake this large, so the others can eat it too.”

Haruka sighed. “Well, this cake was actually for Chanyeol—not for you guys, that’s why she bought it this small.” She sized yesterday’s cake with her pale hands. Luhan smirked.

“You said you want to slip the message inside—but, I will tell you something again,” Luhan brought himself closer to Haruka, whispering right in her ear. Haruka felt the strange sensation as he came closer, even stranger when he started whispering something. It felt warm—which was somehow made her comfortable.

He whispered, “Chanyeol will never read it. It may end up in the trash can. Better to talk directly—at least, he will listen to it.”

Haruka distanced herself to Luhan who was still in the same position. She looked at him carefully, scanning and scanning. Making sure he was telling the truth.

“He’s different from what you think. I’ll tell you another one,” Luhan kept bringing himself closer to Haruka. She didn’t distance. And suddenly, she felt the same sensation just like before, warm and comfortable. Luhan smirked. “He has many girls surrounding him. Every night, he always spares his time hanging out with his girls in the night club. Chanyeol—he’s that kind of boy.”

Haruka swallowed her saliva, disbelieving what Luhan said. But he could be telling the truth since they were so close.

“He wouldn’t waste his time just to read that kind of letter, Haru-ka.” Luhan finally mentioned Haruka’s name clearly for the first time.

Haruka felt even stranger when her name was mentioned by Luhan. She barely felt the breeze softly dash her face, swinging her hair, giving delight sensation—tickling. Who was he actually? This sensation, how could he make it?

 “This cake—what do you want me to do?” he asked, but sounded like slow-voicelessly growling. Luhan locked his eyes to Haruka’s eyes, making this girl weak just by his gaze, truly a deadly gaze.

“Just—give it to Chanyeol. Let him know it’s from Minhwa.”

Luhan, who was still gazing and making his eyes lock to Haruka’s, suddenly stopped and grinned, showing his white-sharp teeth. He smiled—yes, he smiled—but to Haruka, it was more like grinning.

“I will leave first then. You don’t want your friend know that the cake arrives late, right? She might come in a second.” He said, then leaving Haruka alone. And he was right. Not long after he left, Minhwa came with expression which was unable for Haruka to guess. She ran right away as she saw Haruka stood near the gate.

“Why did you leave me earlier? I was worried, you know?” Minhwa blamed Haruka for leaving her. Haruka chuckled. “It’s not like the sky will turn dark in a count of seconds. Sorry, Minhwa-ya—”

Minhwa waved her hand in front of her face, telling Haruka to forget it. “Have Chanyeol arrived?” she asked while walking side by side with Haruka, passing through the hall way.

Haruka, who was pretty sure that Chanyeol would receive the cake soon, shrugged as a sign that she didn’t know, but her smiled just wouldn’t disappear. Haruka felt terribly relieved about the cake problem. Sooner or later, Chanyeol would get the cake.

“Haru-ya, would you ask him about the cake? Just sometimes talk about the cake, can’t you?” Minhwa showed her cat-eyed look. Haruka sighed. “Don’t worry. He will definitely know that it was from you.”

Minhwa nodded. “Yeah, I slipped the message, right? He will definitely read it. You said Chanyeol is nice and friendly. He must have read my message.”

Haruka smiled bitterly.

Minhwa and Haruka split at the end of the corridor. Minhwa’s class was one floor above Haruka’s. At first, she was disappointed because they were separated by not only the class, but also the floor as well. But she felt middling relieved because she didn’t have to see her best friend clinging to Jenny and friends every time. She was—a little bit—just a little bit jealous.

As Haruka entered the classroom, she found that Chanyeol had already arrived, much earlier than she did. She looked at Luhan—who didn’t glare her anymore—but he was busy with his sharpener which was broken into pieces. Chanyeol who inadvertently turned his head, found the anxious Haruka standing at the door. He smiled brightly, even waved his hand to her. Haruka didn’t have choice but to walk and sit on her seat. Well, her seat was still behind Chanyeol and next to Luhan. The homeroom teacher didn’t roll it anyway.

“Good morning,” Chanyeol greeted.

Luhan lifted his head, surprised that Haruka was currently looking at him. He grinned and looked away. Chanyeol shook his head as Haruka saw him. “Haruka, don’t fall for him. I’ve told you he’s a predator.” Chanyeol warned again.

“Oh—well, he’s—nice.”

Chanyeol nodded. “Nice and dumb.”

Haruka sighed. She was actually confused. Luhan, earlier, told her that Chanyeol was that kind of boy—loved to be surrounded by girls and night club. Luhan was more like saying ‘don’t get fooled by his attitude because I know the reality’. And now, Chanyeol said, ‘don’t fall for him because he’s a predator.’ It was like—which one should she believe? Both of them—no—all of them were attractive. Boys you could never refuse.

The class ran smoothly although Haruka had to withstand Luhan’s deadly gaze up until the lunch time. Haruka really wanted to ask why he always looked at her with that kind of look. It’s not annoying though, but—well, that feeling—when a handsome boy looked at you really deep in your eyes and you could do nothing but feeling embarrassed and uneasy.

Haruka didn’t feel like eating, so she stayed in her seat, reading his favorite book—folklore. Minhwa always found it strange to like ancient story like that. Well, Haruka loved it. She just loved imagining how interesting to be a princess in that time. She liked modern story though, with modern love style, but she found it boring.

Haruka heard someone approach. “You’re not eating?” Chanyeol, he came with his hands in the back.

“No—I have no appetite.”

“You like folklore?” he asked. Haruka nodded enthusiastically. “I like it so much. Oh—you’re not eating lunch?” Haruka asked.

“I’m about to—” Chanyeol then handed a piece of cake to Haruka. “Here, for you…” he said while staring at the cake.

 He smiled widely.

“Oh—” Haruka popeyed. Her eyes widened as she saw the cake. Haruka was pretty sure that it was the cake Luhan brought this morning, strawberry cake. Why he gave her the cake? He should at least eat together with Minhwa, she thought.

“Chanyeol-ah, you’re not coming?” Suho suddenly came and approached them. His gaze was fixed on the cake. “She’s not coming with us?” he asked.

Haruka was quite moved by Suho’s question. He asked if she’s coming with them to have lunch or not, maybe because she sat with them quite often. Well, she had no place to sit anyway. If she had, she wouldn’t have sat there. Like what she thought, popular guys would never match her.

“She doesn’t feel like eating, Hyung. That’s why I give her this cake.” Chanyeol said.

“She might feel uncomfortable with us.” Suho claimed, but Haruka shook her head quickly. “No, sunbaenim, that’s not the case. I’m just—having my appetite lost.”

Suho chuckled. “Now, I’m the one who feel uncomfortable being called ‘sunbaenim’ by you. Actually—I don’t like that call.”

Chanyeol giggled. “Just call him oppa, Haruka.”

“Sorry—oppa.”

Suho smiled. Chanyeol , “you like it that much, Hyung—being called oppa by her?” then he giggled.

“Well, I’m hungry. Are you really not going to eat?” Suho asked Haruka. Haruka nodded earnestly. “I really have no appetite. You better eat now because the time is ticking—you’re gonna be late for the next class.”

“C’mon, Hyung. Let’s eat something delicious today. We will leave first, Haru-ya.”

“Oh, wait. I bring something—” Suho took out something wrapped in aluminum foil. It seemed like kimbap if she’s not mistaken. He gave it to Haruka. “Although you don’t feel like eating, at least have some bites. It gives you energy.” He added again, “don’t eat too much sweet.”

Chanyeol whispered to Suho as they left the room. “Hyung, you even bought kimbap for her?”

“Because Kai said he didn’t have appetite to eat, I bought him kimbap. Well—since she might be feeling the same, so I bought two.” He answered.

Haruka turned her head. She heard it, but she didn’t know what he meant by that. Kai—wasn’t he a guy who was so quiet and cool?

Haruka, she just didn’t know that there are several pairs of eyes that were spying on her.

 

***

 

“Minhwa-ya! Why does it take so long? I’ve been standing here for almost 2 hours.” Haruka grabbed Minhwa’s arm, but there was no respond. “Is it you, Minhwa-ya?” Haruka asked to make sure it was really Minhwa because she couldn't see.

“Haruka—I—I can’t go home with you. Jenny is waiting for me.” She said roughly. She even flung Haruka’s grip away. Haruka was startled as she knew it wasn’t the usual Minhwa. There had to be something wrong with her.

Haruka stepped her feet closer to Minhwa. “But Minhwa-ya—it’s dark. You should have told me earlier if you have an appointment with Jenny.”

“I forgot to tell you. You can catch a cab—he will send you home—safely. Just tell him the address, can’t you?”

Haruka couldn’t even talk. She blankly nodded. “Ok, I’ll do that.”

Minhwa left first. Just then, Haruka shouted, “Minhwa-ya… don’t come home too late!” but Minhwa seemed to ignore it.

Actually Minhwa just didn’t want to look back—afraid she might be weakened just to see her best friend standing alone with nothing to see. She didn’t want to do that actually, but what could she do?

Haruka sighed. She now had to struggle again, so she could go back home. Sometimes—she wanted to blame God for giving this disability—just sometimes. It was unfair though. God gave other people ability to see how beautiful the stars and the moon were, but not to her. Well, there was a time when she suddenly could see clearly at the night. If she wasn’t mistaken it happened every once a month. That time, she was able to see how big the moon and how starry the night was. The moon—it was very big yet beautiful. She wondered if every night the moon was that big. She had asked Minhwa in some time, but she said there was no moon or star. In other night, Haruka asked the same question and Minhwa said there was a moon—a crescent moon. So, she assumed that the moon wasn’t always big and round. She had never seen it with bare eyes, but Minhwa said it had the same shape as croissant. She hoped she could see it.

“Why are you wandering around?” A voice suddenly just broke the silence.

Haruka stoned for a moment. She recognized this voice. She didn’t intend to memorize it though. This sound was quirky that made people who heard it shudder. As he came, Haruka felt that strange-soft-breeze dash her face again, swinging her hair, giving delight sensation in her heart.

“Luhan?”

He chuckled. “You seem to get used of me. What makes you recognize—me?”

Haruka blinked for several times. “Your voice—the breeze—” she stopped. “Well, of course I know it’s you. Why are you asking me such question?” Haruka laughed—pretending to laugh.

“Haruka,” he called. The breeze, it dashed again. Haruka felt it. It was getting chiller. “Do you have night-blindness?” he asked.

Haruka clammed up. She didn’t even tell him yet he knew she had night-blindness. Suddenly, she realized his purpose of asking ‘what makes you recognize me’. Since the beginning he knew. That’s why he asked such a question.

“He’s not here—if you are waiting for Baekhyun.” He said calmly, but still, sounded like groaning. Haruka shook her head fast. “No, I’m about to call a cab.”

“Instead of calling a cab, I can send you home.” He grinned. He got no answer. “Well, no one’s here—” he sniffed. “You can choose whether you want to go home with me or—just go by yourself, struggling to find the way home. But—I think it will never happen. Someone will just come if you decide to walk alone—”

“Is there anyone else beside you?”

Luhan nodded, but Haruka couldn’t see. “There are. But I can’t guarantee you can safely reach your home or—end up at another place.”

“Since you are the only one who knows about my night-blindness—take me home—please… I live next to Baekhyun—” Haruka swallowed her saliva. “Oppa.”

“I know that for sure. Nah, hold my hand.” Luhan stretched his hand. Haruka d, looking for his hand but she couldn’t find it. Luhan then grabbed her wrist.

That sensation just came again. The breeze, once again, blew her hair. His hand was warm, too warm—nearly hot. She felt his hand slowly burning her hand, so she threw it away.

“You’re hot. By any chance, are you sick?” Haruka asked.

Luhan showed his teeth. He grinned. He groaned. He didn’t know what happened to him. It was like—the anger grew up all over his heart, spreading through his veins, and just now, he growled. Luhan realized it, but he just couldn’t control. He felt his heart burning.

Haruka who didn’t know a thing, stepped back. She couldn’t see, but she knew something was going on there.

“Luhan?” she grabbed his hand, but Luhan growled even lourder. He had sharp claws on his hands, not sure when exactly those claws grew.

Haruka tried calling him again. “Luhan, are you alright?” as she asked that, Luhan suddenly attacked her.

Just in a second, Haruka was slammed on the ground. Someone just came in time, saving her from the uncontrolled Luhan. That someone pushed her away from Luhan. Haruka fell quite hard. She should feel numb right now, but she didn’t. She was too shocked yet frightened till she couldn’t make any voice as she fell. That groaning—she could still hear it. What did exactly happen? She might die in curious!

“Luhan! Get your sense back!” she heard he shouted to calm Luhan down. Luhan just couldn’t do that. They ended up fighting.

“Luhan, it’s me!” he shouted.

It didn’t make any sense. Luhan was getting wilder as he saw Haruka. He kept coming towards Haruka, attacking her. But before it happened, someone hugged her tightly, protecting her from Luhan’s attack. Haruka clearly heard the sound of scratches. She still got no idea what was happening. A person who was hugging her, groaned in pain. It seemed he got attacked by Luhan.

Luhan stopped groaning and attacking. He seemed to be back to his sense after hurting someone. He was seated, dumbfounded, and confused at the same time.

“Are you okay?” The savior, he even asked Haruka while he was the one who got hurt.

“I’m—okay…” she squeaked and burst in tears. Her body trembled so much. That person—he hugged her even tighter. “It’s okay,” he said to comfort her.

“Luhan!” another person came and directly approached the dumbfounded Luhan. “It’s not even full—why are you being like this??” Haruka recognized it as Chanyeol’s voice. Chanyeol then escorted Luhan away from them.

Another person came. He looked terribly worried.

“You got very big wound. Sehun, help him.” He said. Haruka felt the comfortable hug was slowly released. Maybe he was hurt severely.

Haruka couldn’t hear anything. Just then, she felt so numb. She had no energy to get up, even to move her fingers.

“Am I late?” someone also came. He directly came and kneeled down to check Haruka’s condition. “Could you take care of her, Baekhyun-ah? She is shocked—it happened all of sudden. We didn’t even think it would turn out this way.”

“Yes, Hyung.”

Baekhyun brushed Haruka’s hair which covered her face. He saw her pale face. He felt her body trembled. He heard her breathe rush. Baekhyun lowered his body. “Haruka, are you okay?”

He didn’t get her response, so he assumed that she wasn’t okay. Haruka didn’t even refuse when Baekhyun carried her. She didn’t want to know anymore. Her eyes were getting heavier. She finally slept in Baekhyun’s sling.

 

***