Good Enough

Hello Cold World III: I Only Want to Dance With You
Good Enough
Am I still not good enough? Am I still not worth that much?
 
 

Still in the living room, Joon was helping Seonya with her bullet wound that was still stuck in her upper arm after having cleaned up the other bruises.

 

He was on his knees in front of her while she was sitting on the couch, gripping tightly onto the mattress from the pain in her arm. Her breathing was short as he was examining how deep was the bullet inside her.

 

“I don’t know if I can take it out… If I do I might infect it but if it stays, it won’t do you any good either.”

 

“D-don’t you have anything for the pain at least?”

 

“No… I’m sorry… I can only cover it up with the first aid kit we have but that’s all I can do.”

 

“It hurts so much Joon…” She could feel the tears in the corner of her eyes as she whispered those words out with a shaky voice, breaking his heart. He took a place next to her and placed her head on his shoulder while holding her hand as he her skin to soothe her.

 

Everything was quiet until the phone by his side was starting to ring making him pick it up to see Ji-Hoon as the caller ID.

 

She could hear the voice on the other side of the line while studying Joon’s face to see if she needed to worry about anything. Once he was done and put the phone back on its charger, she waited to see what he was going to say but all she could sense was that he looked stressed.

 

“Is everything okay? You seem a little stressed…”

 

“Everything’s fine, don’t worry...” She didn’t believe it though. She felt as if something wasn’t right and wanted the truth. “Joon, don’t lie to me. What’s going on? What are you hiding from me?”

 

He looked at her and sighed. “There’s a fight going on… It’s messy and hmm… so far, they have the upper hand…”

 

“They? You mean -”

 

“Hyun Su.”

 

“How about G.O? Is he okay?”

 

“He’s fine; he’s at the hospital though but he’s a-awake...”

 

She let out a breath of relief while leaning her head back to stare at the ceiling before looking back down. Ignoring the pain in her arm she got up from the couch and made her way to the kitchen even with the ache in her ankle. Once she was standing in front of the fridge, she fetched out a bottle of beer and grabbed onto it as she roughly opened the cap and gulped down half of the drink down .

 

“Are you okay?” She placed it back on the counter and looked at Joon as he was standing at the entrance of the kitchen, feeling like she was going to burst out her anger. “Of course I’m not okay, Joon!”

 

She covered her face with her hands, taking a moment for herself before pulling them away and walking out of the kitchen, making her way up the stairs. “I’m going to go take a shower.” His only response was a nod, leaving him to stand alone as he watched her walk away.

 

 

The heat of earlier died down now that they were comfortably sitting on a blanket in front of the lit fireplace as they were drinking whatever alcohol was lying around while taking it easy with random subjects of conversation, pushing away today’s events.

 

All through the night, she tried her best to ignore the pain in her upper arm but couldn’t help but hiss from time to time when she tried to move, leaving Joon worried.

 

“I’m sorry I can’t do much with your wound.”

 

“Don’t worry about it... No biggie.” She took a sip from her glass while she was staring at the fire in front of her, letting herself fall in a daze, completely unaware of Joon as he was looking at her, finding himself at awe at her appearance with the reflection of the fire lighting on her skin.

 

Quick images of his night with her crept inside his mind as his gaze trailed from the side of her face to her shoulders and down her arm, letting those same thoughts take action as they sent a tingle down his spine. He looked back down at his own bottle of beer while pushing those images away from his brain, feeling like he was about to lose control if he wander any more deeply into last night.

 

“Joon?” She softly spoke out his name as she turned her head to look at him the same moment he lifted his head up. “Mhmm?”

 

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

 

He looked at her as he lightly tilted his head to the side while thinking over about the question before looking towards the dancing flame of the fire. His first thought went straight to his last love when he met her in Paris, several years ago. He knew he had fallen in love the moment he saw her jump in that same cab as him.

 

Nostalgia crept up inside of him thinking over about the first day they spent together.

 

“Actually, I do… Or used too…”

 

“From the way you’re telling me, it looks like it happened to you.”

 

“Mhmm. A long time ago.” He faintly nodded before taking a quick sip of his drink as he turned back to look in front of him. “What happened?” He thought about his answer before answering her, not having the heart to pour out about his past. “It didn’t work out.”

 

“Oh… I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay, it’s in the past…”

 

Not wanting to dwell on his broken heart any longer, he quickly changed the subject by asking her about what happened the day he saved her from drowning.

 

“About what happened in our backyard the other day-”

 

“Pass.”

 

She took a sip of her wine letting the bitter taste stain her tongue while trying to think about anything else than her nightmare. “Seonya, you can talk to me.”

 

“I know I can, I just don’t want to.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because… It still hurts.”

 

She looked down into her glass that she was holding between her hands while Joon gazed at her, knowing exactly how she felt about wanting to re-explore something painful. He pushed some strands of her hair behind her ear earning her attention and gently smiled at her, trying to encourage her of opening up.

 

“I know how it feels. It may not be about the same thing, but the emotion is similar… Talk to me…”

 

She took in a deep breath but was still looking at her glass as she started to speak.

 

“When I was nineteen, I got into a car accident. The pedals, the breaks, my car was going crazy… I tried to stop when we were crossing the same bridge from earlier and I hit the barrier, which broke and sent me in the water… The windows were open so the car was sinking faster and I was stuck… Even today I don’t even know how I got out and who saved me.”

 

He placed his hand over her wrist making her look at him and he could see, through the dim light of the fire, the shimmer in her eyes. “I’ve been afraid of the water ever since…”

 

He pushed himself closer to her as he placed his glass on the table behind them. He cupped her cheeks, softly grazing her skin and leaned in closer until his lips were against hers, kissing her sweetly.

 

He then pulled away and took her glass away only to have her grab onto his wrist where she pushed herself back in and kissed him. The contact of his lips against hers made his trail of thoughts completely disappear as all he wanted was to keep on tasting her lips, letting the tingle explode inside of him. He slowly wrapped his arms around her waist while she had cupped his cheeks and let themselves go as she pushed their bodies against the carpet where he was hovering above her.

 

He wasn’t understanding what was going on as all he felt was that he wanted this.

 

He wanted her.

 

He was in love and he didn’t even know it yet.

 

She pulled him closer to her with their kiss climbing up as it became more passionate by the minute, stopping both of their beating hearts.

 

The emotions swirling inside of her were overpowering her rationality but she didn’t really care at the moment.

 

She hugged him close, letting her hands trail down the side of his body to his back, where she tightly gripped onto his shirt, letting her feelings sway through her gestures.

 

From her lips, he placed soft kisses from her jaw down to her neck and then, down to her collarbone while the room was letting the sound of her heavy breaths echo through the entire place. With her eyes closed, a tiny gasp escaped her lips when she felt him nibble in the crook of her neck, making her grasp onto the back of his head with her fingers in his hair.

 

She was softly his name when he suddenly stopped, a déjà vu coming through.

 

She felt him slowly pull away, which left her slightly confused until she could see his face where she recognized that same expression telling her that there was slight regret in his eyes. She contained the bit of anger and annoyance that was inside of her and got up on her feet, forgetting the pain from her sore ankle along with her arm that was throbbing, practically turning it numb.

 

“I’m going to sleep. See you tomorrow.”

 

She quickly turned her back on him, restraining herself from breaking down in front of him, which left him restless as he fell back on the carpet with a sigh of defeat escaping from him. Looking up at the ceiling, guilt was starting to wash over him knowing that he made her upset for pushing himself away.

 

He ruffled his hair with a groan coming out of him as he sat back up with his arms around his bent up knees. He looked back at the fire that was still bright in the dark living room and thought back at his déjà vu, dating to years ago where he had his own little romantic getaway with his own Love.

 

Back on the staircase, Seonya was hiding in the dark quietly watching Joon. Putting aside the physical pain of her body, her heart was hurting the most at the moment. She tried to understand what was going on inside his head, trying to comprehend why he kept changing his mind when it came to them but so far all she seem to be thinking about was maybe she wasn’t good enough for him or maybe all he wanted was just one night and that was it; nothing more, nothing less.

 

She got up and kept on climbing up the stairs until she stopped again hearing a soft sob coming from the living room. She turned her back with her eyes landing on Joon who had his palms covering his face. Even without the lights, she could see his shoulders slightly shake, making it obvious that he was crying.

 

She gripped tighter onto the rail and kept on walking as she calmed herself down, knowing that the pain he was feeling was the same that she had felt with Hyunseung leaving her.

 
 
 
 
 

author's notes

So! What do you guys think? Do you think Joon should move on and forget about what happened with Seonya?

I hope you're not too disappointed with the story so far :/ (I'm not getting a lot of feeback and it's kind of freaking me out a little bit >.<)

I promise a lot more is to come :)

 

P.S - I know the song doesn't fit the chapter but the lyrics that I put up kind of represent the way Seonya feels about Joon so I hope you'll forgive me for this >///<

Lots of love, xo