The Chase

Hello Cold World III: I Only Want to Dance With You
The Chase
 
 
 

They were on the road and way out of the city.

 

It was quiet with Joon concentrating on the driving while Seonya was trying to get some rest after her hectic morning, but she wasn’t able to do so with the constant images of what happened earlier roaming around inside her head.

 

Everything had happened so fast, the thinking over was starting to make her dizzy.

 

She placed her hands by the side of her head and shut her eyes tight. Her gesture caught Joon’s attention as he looked at her, asking her if she was okay.

 

“S-stop the car.”

 

He didn’t have to be asked twice, he quickly pulled up on the side, letting Seonya jump out as she fell on her knees and threw up, while coughing loudly.

 

The sudden sight made Joon run out on the other side as he bent down, her back for comfort. As she was done, she shakily wiped with the back of her hand and stumbled while she tried to get up with his help. He took a good look at her and could see that her skin was much paler than this morning, making him worry.

 

“Let’s get you out of here… I know a place where we can hide.”

 

He helped her get back inside the car and once he climbed back, he went on with his drive planning on hurrying up so she could properly rest.

 

 

Everything was going fine until the wing mirror on Seonya’s side suddenly blew up making her yelp. Joon took a glance at his review mirror and cursed at the view behind.

 

“How the hell did they find us?!” He sped up the car, making the girl hold tightly onto the door’s arm while she tried to regulate her breathing, feeling the same panic from earlier coming back.

 

A sudden bump from the back of the car, Joon took another look at the review mirror and saw that the other car had hit his as it stayed stuck behind.

 

“Seonya, just hold tight, okay?”

 

“Mhmm.” She only nodded and shut her eyes close, not ready for whatever Joon was about to do.

 

He swirled the car to the right and quickly back to the left before speeding up once again, as he tried to reach the limit speed of the vehicle. Another shot was fired hitting the back window, which made Seonya react once again as a cry escaped from her lips; she leaned her upper body towards the front where her forehead was touching her knees and had her palms covering her ears, trying to dim the noise that was surrounding her.

 

A glance on her side, the urgency of protecting her within him was growing much faster.

 

“Seonya, open the glove compartment and take the gun out.”

 

Looking at him and back at the front, she quickly did what she was asked too and held the gun in her hands while staring at it, feeling her heart on the verge of exploding.

 

“I need you to start shooting while I try to get us on a different path.” Hearing him, she quickly turned her head to him with a surprised look on her face, refusing to use the weapon. “You do it! I can’t shoot! You never told me how!”

 

“You don’t need instructions; just get yourself up through the window of the roof and start shooting at the cars behind us! Shoot a wheel or window; just anything to push them away! Now!”

 

She nervously nodded her head and unbuckled her seat belt as she turned around and propped herself up to the open window of the roof, holding the gun in between her hands. She quickly fired one shot to the car that was right behind them and hit the front trunk; she tried few more times and couldn’t get a proper target until she had finally shot the man that was popping out of his side window with his own gun in his hand.

 

She was too focused on what she just did, she suddenly felt a throbbing pain on her right arm, making her cry out as she went back to her seat, dropping the gun on the floor with her left hand covering her upper arm.

 

“What happened?!”

 

“I got shot, that’s what happened!”

 

“Damn it. Hand me the gun.”

 

She bent over to pick it up but the moment she leaned back, a new gunshot was fired straight on one of the wheels of their car, which made it swirl in complete chaos until the final blow made the vehicle flip around as it crashed straight with its roof sliding on the ground halfway through the small bridge that was hovering above the river right under them.

 

Since she hasn’t wore back her belt, Seonya found herself outside of the car with broken pieces of glasses surrounding her and bruises that were starting to itch her body. As for Joon, he was stuck upside down and luckily enough was quickly waking up. He got himself out by crawling and looked around when he noticed that Seonya wasn’t by his side. He looked at the front and saw that she was lying on the ground, seeming as if she was unconscious.

 

He slowly got up despite the pain that was shooting all over his body and wiped the blood at the corner of his lips. He limped his way to her and crouched back down, trying to wake her up. As he did, the smell of smoke caught his attention making him panic since he still didn’t get any kind of response from her. Seeing that he didn’t have much time left and that the chase didn’t seem to be over, he pulled her arm around his shoulders and shakily lifted her up. He tried to quicken his steps to get out and hide somewhere but the moment he looked back at his ruined car, he knew that they were too slow.

 

He took a look around to see where they were and when he saw the river, he didn’t think that he had another choice. He was heading towards the edge of the bridge when new shots were fired making him lift up his head to see that some survivors of the accident were still chasing them.

 

He finally felt her starting to move as she slowly lifted her head. A painful groan escaped from her lips as she blinked and had the sight of water straight in front of her. She stopped, confused about her whereabouts but heard Joon telling her to quickly move.

 

The burning smell reached up her nose and turned her head around to see the car with early flames embracing it. She gripped tighter onto Joon and the moment they reached the rails of the bridge, the car exploded making them jump straight into the water with the pieces of the car flying around.

 

Knowing that she couldn’t swim, he quickly swam her way and grabbed onto her so she could have her arms wrapped around his shoulders while he was carrying her on his back as he swam to side to get out of the water, but knowing that they were going to be searched to see if they perished, he went straight under the bridge and waited for the warning yells to be over before moving.

 

She had her chin on his shoulder and could barely stay awake as she felt more weak than ever, barely able to hold onto Joon. He held onto her hands as he pulled her further against him and whispered to her to hold on a little bit longer. She quietly hummed and had her face leaned against the side of his face.

 

A few minutes have passed and it seemed as if the voices were gone giving the chance for Joon to move as he quietly swam his way to reach the ground with Seonya still on his back until he gently laid her down on the ground. Lifting his head up, he looked back down at her and told her to stay still before he got up and marched his way up the hill that lead back to the street. He carefully looked around and saw two cars completely in ruins with the third one gone, meaning that Hyun Su’s men had left.

 

He went back down and kneeled next to Seonya to see if she was awake.

 

He lifted her upper body so she could be leaning against his chest with her face resting on his collarbone. He wiped away the trail of blood that was falling from her forehead and lifted her up in his arms as he carried her back up to the street.

 

It didn’t seem as if she was going to wake up anytime soon, which didn’t give him much of a choice. He started walking towards the direction they were suppose to go in the beginning and knowing where he was on the map made it easier for him to find the hideout which was a few miles away from where he was standing.

 

The walk was still going to be long but he didn’t have any other choice.

 

 

By the time they had finally arrived, the sun was on its way down.

 

Joon wasn’t carrying her completely anymore but still had a hold on her as she had woke up halfway through.

 

Despite the ache running through her body, she felt bad for leaning on him knowing that he must be in as much pain as she was at the moment.

 

“We’re here…” She looked at him and then turned her face to where he was looking. She saw a big cabin partially hiding behind some trees and sighed in relief, finally happy about one thing.

 

“Are you sure we’re going to be safe in here?”

 

“Mhmm, don’t worry.”

 

“How long are we going to stay here?”

 

“I don’t know… We have to wait until we get the green light from Ji-Hoon Hyung. Then we’ll see where we go from here.” He turned his head to look at her and showed her a small smile, trying to reassure her about their situation. “Everything is going to work out, don’t worry.”

 

She nodded her head as she bit onto her bottom lip, trying to convince herself that everything was indeed going to be fine in the end.

 
 
 
 
 

author's notes

I when it comes to writing action scenes but hopefully this one wasn't too bad >.<

 

P.S - For the bridge, either imagine the link that I posted or the Wickery Bridge from Vampire Diaries (either way it's in that kind of structure :))

 

Lots of love, xo