04

▸ Let's keep it a secret

Luhan P.O.V


 

After the introduction, we went to find Mr. Jung. It was a bit awkward at first but soon we started talking and I felt really comfortable. He was a bit nervous and that was understandable, I mean there was a chance that we might not find Mr. Jung or that he doesn’t let him audition. I shuddered at the thought. I was gonna try and not let that happen. I didn’t want to see him hurt.

 

When Mr. Jung told him that he had to come back for an audition next year I was really shocked. That couldn’t be happening. I pleaded to Mr. Jung to let him audition, it obviously meant a lot and when I saw that Sehun had turned around, I knew he was hiding his tears. I felt my heart drop at the sight. I turned back to Mr. Jung to beg him once more but the man’s face softened and he gave out a sigh.

 

And then everything happened so fast and I couldn’t believe that the boy was given another chance and I felt extremely happy for him. When Mr. Jung left I grabbed him into a hug. I felt like he needed one. Or more like I needed one, I was really worried that he wouldn’t have made it.

I pulled back and congratulated him with a big smile. I was really glad that there was a chance to train together and become friends. Outside of the building we exchanged numbers and after that we went our separate ways. I was grinning all the way back to the hotel. Before going to sleep I thought of us training together and how brilliant that would be so I mentally wished that Sehun would pass tomorrow. I set up my alarm clock at eight so I can go to SM and give Sehun some support. My tired body flopped on the bed and I was out cold in a matter of seconds.

I groan slowly waking up. I still feel tired so I try to go back to sleep. But my whole body is jittery and I feel like I could throw up. For a couple of minutes while my brain tries to wake up, I can’t even think of any possible reasons why I would be nervous. And then it hits me. Sehun’s audition!

I sit up and look around for my phone. I must have knocked it over at some point because I find it on the floor when I step on it while getting out of bed. I check the time and it’s already five past ten. I curse under my breath before running to the bathroom to get ready. Sehun didn’t send me a message so that must mean that he is still being auditioned.

In ten minutes I manage to brush my teeth and take a quick shower. I go over to my suitcase and pull out some jeans and a thin sweater. I figure it wouldn’t be that cold today considering it wasn’t cold yesterday either so I don’t bother with a jacket. Just as I am putting my shoes on, my phone goes off so I run over to the bed almost tripping myself in the process.

10:21

Sehun

Hey! Um sorry if I wake you up but I just wanted to tell you that I passed the auditions! I am a trainee now as well. Would you by any chance like to meet up and celebrate?

I feel the nervousness leave my body and I grin broadly.

10:23

To Sehun

CONGRATULATIONSSS!! I am glad you made it! And of course, we should go celebrate. I am going out now, would you mind waiting for me in front of the SM building? I’ll be there in thirty minutes. tops.

I finish lacing my shoes before I grab my bag and leave the room, locking the door behind me. My phone goes off again.

10:25

Sehun

It’s no problem, I’ll wait for you here.

I smile again. Despite waking up feeling nervous and sick I am really cheerful as I leave the hotel. ‘I got a new friend, I got a new friend’, keeps repeating itself in my head as I walk towards our meeting place.

I arrive a little bit earlier than I expected. It took me only twenty minutes. I see Sehun sitting on the ground next to the building. He still has yet to notice me. As I get closer I realise his eyes are closed and there is a contented smile on his face. I can’t help but smile as well. He must be very happy that he managed to pass.

I stand in front of him but he still doesn’t notice me. I nudge his leg with my foot and he startles, looking up. I beam at him and he stares, opening his mouth and then shutting it again, trying to say something but failing. I laugh at his cuteness.

“Hi”, I say holding out a hand to help him stand up.

He moves his gaze to my hand like he is thinking whether or not he should take it, and in the end he does. I help him to his feet and realise that he is only slightly taller than me. We stand there awkwardly, not exactly sure what to do now until he breaks the silence.

“Hi”, he says scratching the back of his head with a sheepish smile on his face.

I laugh again. “Hi.”

“Hi.” he says again.

I laugh once more. “Are we really going to keep doing that?”

He laughs as well. “We could. But we could also maybe go for bubble tea and we can talk about other things?”

“Well it is tempting to just stand here going hi at you, but I think I will have to go with the second option. Do you know where we can get bubble tea near by?”

He nods excitedly. “I know just the place. Let’s go.”

We walk next to each other in comfortable silence. I am lost in thought so I don’t notice when Sehun stops and I manage to crash into him. I stumble back a little but regain my balance quickly.

“A-are you okay?! I am really sorry I didn’t mean to.”

I give him a smile and he calms a little at that.

“Sehun it’s fine. It was my fault, I wasn’t really paying attention to where I was going. So is this the place?” I ask while looking at the shop. It looked really nice and cosy.

“Y-yeah let’s go in”, he answers before leading the way.

The shop is crowded and filled with noise. I like it. We manage to find an empty table in the back. I sit down but Sehun remains standing.

“What would you like to drink?” he asks expectantly.

“Umm well this is my first time drinking bubble tea, so I am not sure. Why don’t you get me the same thing you are getting.”

Sehun nods before leaving to get the drinks. I look around the shop. It is mostly filled with students but I can see older people here and there. And there iss also an elderly couple who look absolutely adorable together. I hope I am going to be like that when I get older, still so very in love with my soulmate. Yes soulmate, I am a romantic.

I am pulled from my thought when Sehun sits down placing the drink in front of me. I look at it curious.

“What flavour is this?”

“It’s choco bubble tea. It’s one of my favourites.”

I take a sip and it tastes really good. I sip on my drink for a while longer before putting it down.

“So tell me what happened? What did you do for the audition? And congratulations again.”

“Well I arrived at half past nine. I didn’t want to be late again. I had to wait for a little while but soon Mr. Jung and two more people came and told me to enter the dancing hall. I was honestly very nervous. I thought I was going to pass out.” he says laughing slightly. “But then when I started dancing, all of my nervousness somehow vanished. When I was done, they told me I was really good and that I had passed. Mr. Jung also told me to make sure that I am never late again.” He says laughing slightly at the last part.

“Yes really you better not be late. Not now when I found a new friend.”

His eyes widen a little and he reminds me of a child. “F-friend?”

I chuckle at this. “Yes friend. You are my first friend here. You should feel honoured.” I say trying to sound all regal. I am rewarded with another one of his rich laughs and I feel very pleased with myself for managing to do that.

“Yes, your majesty. I feel incredibly honoured.” He answers bowing slightly.

I start laughing really loud at this and people around us stare but for some reason I can’t stop. He waits for me to calm down with a smug looking smirk on his face before he starts talking again.

“So I was kind of surprised when you said you came here all the way from China. You must have really wanted to be a trainee.”

“Yes I did. Honestly, I wanted to be a singer ever since I was a kid, but when I saw that SM was holding auditions, I knew I had to come here. So I packed everything I need, booked airplane ticket and came here the same night.”

“Wow really?! That is amazing. But what did your parents say about you leaving?”

 

“Weeeell. They didn’t know. I left while there were sleeping. I left them a letter but they didn’t call and they didn’t message me. I mean I can’t say I’m not surprised because they never supported me with chasing my dream, but I just thought that they would call me, leave me angry messages and try to get me to come back. I would never come back but at least it would have been a sign that they care.”

I was close to crying so I shut up. I stare down at my drink cursing myself for telling Sehun all of that.

“I’m sorry. But I don’t think they don’t care about you. They are probably shocked and don’t know what to do. I know I would be like that. Give them some time. They might not support you, but you are still their son. They will come round.”

Hearing this actually made me feel better so I give Sehun a grateful smile.

“Thank you. Really thank you Sehun. You don’t realise how much that helped. And where did you learn to talk so wisely old man?” I say trying to get the serious mood we have found ourselves in to disappear.

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or as an insult. But for your information, I am not old, I am only eighteen.”

“Really? I thought you might be older than me but I was wrong.” I say a little bit shocked.

“You are older than me? No way.”

“Yes way. I am twenty-two.”

“You are lying, there is no way you could be that old, you look barely older than seventeen.”

“Now I don’t know if I should feel insulted or not. But I really am. I can show you may ID card if you want.”

He eyes me suspiciously before answering. “No it’s fine. I’ll take your word for it even though it’s hard to believe. Oh wait, I just remembered, where are you staying?”

“I am staying in a hotel, but I won’t be able to stay there for long. I’m gonna need to find an apartment or something where I can stay. I’ll also have to find a job soon as well.”

“A job? But how are you going to be able to work when we will have to train for hours. You’ll be exhausted.”

“I need the money so I will have to figure it out. But don’t worry, I’m tough, I’ll be able to handle it.”

“Well if you are so sure. But you have to try and not exhaust yourself too much. I don’t want you getting yourself sick.”

“I won’t don’t worry.” I smile to reassure him and he smiles back. We spend another two hours in the shop talking about anything and everything before Sehun tells me that he has to leave and help his mother with something. Although I feel a little bit sad that he has to leave because this has been the most fun I had in a while, I know that he has to go home.

We leave the shop and stand outside for a while. It is a little bit awkward again. But then I am pulled into a hug by two lanky arms so I hug back. We pull back and Sehun is slightly blushing again. I suppress a laugh, not wanting him to feel even more embarrassed. This kid is really adorable.

“Thank you for meeting me here. I had a good time.” He says finally.

“No need to thank me, I had lots of fun today and got a new friend. I should thank you.”

He blushes at this again. “I really should get going now. And if you get bored or lonely or something feel free to message me.”

“Thanks Sehun. I’ll make sure to do that. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I go back towards SM building and Sehun goes in the opposite direction. I feel really happy again. And I didn’t feel so lonely in this big town.

And I have Sehun to thank for that.