Chapter 30

We Were There

Hello everyone! Two whole months of not updating... I could not bear to do that any longer. So I changed the poster and with all my courage, I decided to write for this fanfiction again :) The reason for the long hiatus was because I really was not satisfied with my writing anymore. You could say, I was having a writer's crisis (I still have for 'You, I love', so I am avoiding that one for now, but will try to update that one too). However, after putting my mind on something else ('A Woman's Frailty') I decided to come back on this fanfic again :) For everyone who still read this story, I am so incredibly thankful. For those who think this story is not worth it anymore, please give it another try, and I will do my best :)
About the story itself, I wrote a big part before my writer's crisis, and it is about Woohyun and Myungsoo. From now on, I will make the story flow faster, since things seem to go so slow in this fanfic (partly the reaosn for my writer's crisis, since everything went too slow). I will not say anything more, please enjoy :) I will try to update as soon as possible, but I am slowly getting into the story again :) Short chapter this time, but consider it as a new beginning :)
Tinywings


“Nam Woohyun, stop right there.”

I said while looking at the suspicious boy in front of me. He hesitated at first, but soon turned around to face me.

“What do you want, Myungsoo?”

“I want to know,” I said as I approached him, “what the heck you put in Minhee’s locker.”

His eyes widened in shock immediately, confirming that he was indeed the person I saw. A frown appeared as I could not understand why he would do something like that. As far as I knew, Minhee and Woohyun did not even know each other.

“It is none of your business.”

“Well, it obviously is, when it involves someone I know.”

The struggling expression he was wearing made me a little bit anxious. The great Nam Woohyun, who was not scared of anyone, would turn out like this, and it had something to do with Krystal. That… I was sure of.

“What did she ask you to do, Woohyun?”

 Woohyun laughed uncontrollably, and I could not help but pity him. Obviously something was wrong. he Woohyun I knew was not like this.

“Woohyun-ah… Tell me, what did she ask you to do.”

“Just leave me alone already! I do not want to get dragged in this anymore! The past is the past, why can you not all just see that!”

Woohyun yelled furiously, and I honestly did not know how to respond. I really did not know how to answer… When I was thinking the exact same thing. The past is the past, and it was so futile to hold onto it. However, there was one question I could not answer and desperately wanted to know.

“Then why are you mingling yourself in it, Woohyun?”

I could see his expression stiffen as he looked away.

“That… You do not have to know.”

“Funny, really. You are the one who seems so against holding onto the past, and yet, you are putting yourself in it.”

“Look,” He said with gritted teeth, “you do not have to know, okay? Sungyeol punished me enough for it back then.”

“Sungyeol- What?”

I had always found it weird why the two of them suddenly grew distant from each other, but I did not thought too much about it. However, when I thought about it carefully, it did seem weird. Sungyeol and Woohyun were good friends, after all. There was no way they would grow apart so suddenly, without a reason.

“Woohyun, what are you talking about? What happened?”

“As if I am telling anyone. I am doing so much, just so it will always be a secret, Myungsoo.”

He said with a rather ironic smirk on his lips. Ironic, because I knew he was being burdened by this secret.

“Woohyun, what secret is so important?”

I asked, but it was not like I did not have a clue.

“You do not have to know, Myungsoo, you do not have to.

I sighed before approaching him with a serious expression.

“Tell me what you put in Minhee’s locker.”

“Myungsoo, please do not-”

“I said,” I grabbed him by his collar as I glared at him, “tell me. Now!”

A flash of fright passed his eyes, before he shoved my hand away. Woohyun was not someone with no strength in his arms. After all, he was not the captain of the basketball team for nothing. People who thought he was weak were just deceived.

“Kim Myungsoo, I have no time for your childish-”

“It has something to do with Seungyeon, right?”

I said before letting him go. The shock on his face confirmed that it was indeed about the person I thought it would be. He said that we should let go of the past, and yet, he was also holding onto it.

“H-How did you know…?”

I smiled slightly as I leaned against the wall. My head was down as memories of the past flashed through my mind. Everything was still so peaceful back then, and the only thing we had to worry about… Was love.

“Did… Did Sungyeol-”

I gave him a confused look.

“Why would Sungyeol- Is that the reason you two became so distant from each other?”

Woohyun did not say anything, but that was enough to confirm my suspicions. I sighed deeply, thinking about how much the past had driven everyone together, and apart.

“Woohyun, if it is about Seungyeon, then there really is nothing to think about. I knew that you went to see her that day.”

“Myungsoo…”

I looked at Woohyun gently before sighing again. Sungyeol and Woohyun did not know one thing about Seungyeon and me. They thought I really liked her, and honestly, I still do not know whether I had feelings for her or not. At that time, I was so sure that my heart was beating faster for nobody… But Yoona.  

“I think there is something I have to clear up, Woohyun. About Seungyeon and me.”

Woohyun scoffed slightly before looking into my eyes.

“What is there to clear up? I obviously did not stand a chance against you.”

“That may be true, but Woohyun, I did not have feelings for her.”

His eyes widened as I said those words with utmost seriousness.

“Sungyeol and you may have thought I liked her, but I did not. In fact, I never did. It was just… I did not want to leave her alone.”

Because Seungyeon had so little time left.

-

I fell in love with the Sungyeol who stayed true to his beliefs.”

Tears were rolling down as I stared at Sungyeol’s back. However, a bitter smile did crept on my lips, because I was really happy to have finally realized it. It took me so long, and I was so happy to have realized that I never loved the wrong Sungyeol, the Sungyeol who may not exist, but a Sungyeol I have always admired, always loved, always believed.

“Foolish… So foolish.”

Sooyung said while approaching me. Her cold stare said a thousand words, and I deliberately stepped away from her.

“Are you really that foolish, are you?”

“What are you talking about-”

“What is so great about Sungyeol? What is so great about him, who did it with his girlfriend’s sister? Who did not even go to his girlfriend’s funeral? Who abused his own girlfriend?!

My whole body stiffened, and I could see from the corners of my eyes that Sungyeol had turned around.

“Im Sooyung, what are you-”

“Am I not telling the truth, then? Everyone may be thinking you are a great boyfriend, filled with innocence, but they did not know that you had hit my sister too. They do not know that you were nothing better than her ex-boyfriend.”

I continued to look at Sungyeol as those words were repeated in my mind over and over again. And I desperately tried to convince myself that he did it for a reason. But I could not convince myself. Because I could not believe it. Not when Sungyeol loved Yoona so much. Not when Yoona meant, no, means the world to him.

“Shocking, huh? Every time you set your boundary a little further, hoping that will be enough to make your relationship last, something new will come and crush it. Tell me, dear, how many times are you willing to do so, until you get tired?”

“I…”

“He is not worth it, dear. He certainly is not.”

My mind was completely blank. If stares could speak, I would be asking ‘Why?’ a thousand times right now. Even though I wanted to believe Sungyeol in whatever he does, it seemed like his past is…

Trying to test me.

And the worst of all…

I felt like I was losing.  

“Sungyeol-ah, is it true?”

He did not answer, but his expression said enough. The pain on his face, mixed with regret, was more than enough to tell me the truth.

“And… Did you have a reason for it, too?”

Tell me that you did, Sungyeol. Tell me that you two had a misunderstanding, or whatever, and I would believe you. You could even go as far as… Lying to me, Sungyeol. Just tell me something that would not break my hopes, Sungyeol.

“If I told you I had a reason for it, would you believe me?”

Sungyeol asked softly. His eyes were pleading as he waited for my answer, and unconsciously, a smile had already crept on my lips.

“I would believe everything, Sungyeol, as long as you said it.”

“Are you crazy-”

Sooyung said, but was soon interrupted by Sungyeol’s soothing voice.

“If I told you I hit her, because she was cheating on me, would you accept that?”

“Everything Sungyeol does have a reason.”

“T-then…” Sungyeol took a deep breath before continuing. “If I told you that I love Shim Minhee now, not Im Yoona, would you believe me?”

Joyful tears rolled down my cheeks as I looked into his sincere eyes. I had long ignored Sooyung as I stood there and looked at the one person who I trusted with all my heart. I already did not suspect any of his words anymore, because I could not. In the end, I would just believe in him and him alone. That is just how much I love Lee Sungyeol. It blinded me. His love blinded me, and I could only follow his words and believe it as the truth.

“I believe you.”