Chapter 16

We Were There

Finally a new chapter!
Sorry sorry for the wait!
I was sick on my birthday.. Really.. Such a bad luck..
However, here I am again, even though not fully healthy yet,
and I hope you all still enjoy the story :)
This chapter is also about Myungsoo and Minhee,
and honestly, I am starting to like to write about the two...
For those who are waiting for more Sungyeol and Minhee,
do not be afraid, those chapters will come soon!!!!!
Also, there is still one important person not introduced yet,
together with a special person I have not revealed yet,
but I think it is about time I put these two in the story... :)
So be prepared! :D
Tinywings


-----

“Thank you for staying with me, Myungsoo.”

I thanked him gratefully as I stood in front of my house. Myungsoo smiled gently as he shook his head.

“It was nothing.”

“You are so kind, Myungsoo.”

I said thankfully. Myungsoo was so incredibly nice, that it made me feel so lucky to have him as a friend. He is the kind of friend you would never want to lose, because these are the kind of friends that will last with you for a lifetime. It is almost impossible to find a true friend on this world, even though you may have plenty of good friends. Even though you like to be with them, even though you share secrets with them, even if they will lend you a shoulder to cry on, they do not seem like friends that will last with you for longer than a moment. They are people who will one day grow apart from you, or toss you aside when they do not need you anymore. Not everyone is so lucky, to find such a great friend as Myungsoo.

“Wait,” I said as I saw him turning around, “wait, Myungsoo.”

He turned around with a puzzled look.

“Is something wrong?”

I shook my head frantically.

“I just want to say that Sungyeol is really lucky to have you as his friend. And I know, you are very important to him.”

Myungsoo’s smile was such a pleasant sight, it mesmerized me once again.

“Thank you.”

“Thank you for telling.”

“No, thank you for loving him.”


“There is no need to thank each other all the time, right? Because we are friends, the heart already knows.”

I said as I recalled the previous moment. Thanking each other every time is something irrelevant almost, because deep inside, we both already know. Even though our friendship only just began, when there is this connection, the heart will know. That is something I dared to be proud of, because I can feel it. And that is also why Myungsoo and Sungyeol have such a great bond with each other, because they understand each other without words very well. Even when the one does not say anything, the other already knows. Such a friendship is a beauty itself.  

“Being friends does not always mean that the heart will know.”

Myungsoo said as he pointed at his heart.

“But,” He said as he smiled to me, “with you, I have this indescribable connection. I wonder why.”

Warmth surrounded me as I heard his words. I almost wanted to say thank you, but instead, I smiled. There is no need to say it, after all, and if this bond is true, then there is no reason to fear for it to break.

“Sungyeol…” He suddenly began, “He loved Yoona dearly.”

He eyed with warily, but I nodded for him to go on, even though it felt uncomfortable indeed.

“Yoona was special to Sungyeol. She was the sunshine in his life, really. The reason is that only she could see through Sungyeol. Only she could see the Sungyeol everyone else cannot see, even his mother. I had put in lots of effort, just to find the real Sungyeol, the Sungyeol I became to respect, to support.”

The real Sungyeol…?

“Are you saying then, that Sungyeol is wearing a mask?”

Myungsoo shook his head slightly.

“N-no… Rather than saying that he is wearing a mask, I would say he is hiding a part of himself, because… He hates that part of himself.”

Sungyeol… Hates a part of himself? Why would he?

“But Minhee, I know for sure that you will be able to see that part of him. When the time is there, you will see what I mean. You mean a lot to him, in so many ways, that he will show it all to you, even when it is something he wants to keep a secret.”

“In many ways, you say?”

He took a deep breath, hesitating whether to continue or not. But in the end, there was no reason for him to hold anything back.

“In making him forget Yoona, in being the light of his life, but also,” He looked in my eyes as he continued, “in replacing the one person that ever held a place in his heart.”

Replacing… The one person that ever held a place in his heart. No, Myungsoo, you are wrong. That precious place that only Yoona could claim, I am by far not capable enough of taking that place. Yoona… Holds such an important place in his heart, even when she already died, there is no way for me to replace her, that is something I realized already.

“Yoona… Do you think she loved Sungyeol?”

Myungsoo did not say anything, but focused his eyes on the ground. I knew I was asking something harsh, something that may hurt Sungyeol really hard, but it is something that has been nagging me for a while already.

“Sungyeol thinks she betrayed him, and everything seems to be saying the same, but Yoona… In my eyes, Yoona’s feelings for Sungyeol were real. The way she smiled when she was with him, the way she shone, it was something I saw only when she was with Sungyeol.”

A sudden relief washed over me. I am relieved, that at least, their love must have been mutual. I would not be able to forgive her, if she did not have any feelings for Sungyeol at all, but she did, and that simple fact was enough to satisfy me. At least, Sungyeol’s love was worth it.

“I envy Yoona.”

I said truthfully. Having such an important role in Sungyeol’s heart, Yoona must have been special to him. She is so amazing in my eyes, and really, saying that I envy her is not the right word to describe my thoughts about her, because honestly, I would want to be her.

“If Yoona were still to be alive, I would not have stood a chance.”

“What makes you think so?”

“Simply because Sungyeol still has her in his heart until now. No matter how hard he tries, he still cannot let go of her.”
 
“But, does not the fact that he tries to overcome the past together with you, enough proof that you may not be as irrelevant as you think you are to him? Sungyeol told me already, that he wants to try.”

I looked in his filled with seriousness eyes, not saying a word. What Myungsoo said, was giving me too much hope, and I hated it that I may be expecting too much. That is why, I never thought too much of anything when it comes to Sungyeol, but slowly, I lost track of everything. As long as I can be with Sungyeol, nothing else matters. Or maybe, I forced myself to accept it. But there was one thing that I was never sure of, something I never dared to even think of, and that was whether his plead to let him try was because he really wanted to move on, or that he wanted to replace her, with me. Do I truly have it in me to make him change, or just enough in me to make him want to try to replace her with me?

“The fact that he wants to try, only means that I may be able to soften the pain he is bearing right now, but does not mean, that I may be the one that he will want to live the rest of his life with.”

“If you stopped thinking about how long this love may last, but only think about the moments you are sharing right now, how does that feel then? I mean, why would you want to think about a lifetime, when you can also think about now?”

“What-”

“Minhee,” Myungsoo said while smiling melancholy, “that was something that made Yoona so special to him, because she knew exactly what Sungyeol thought.”

Slowly, I was recalling the words I once said to Sungyeol.

“Because I would not want to fully know someone. As long as I understand that person, then that is enough. As long as I have something to hold on to for support, I can live on happily. Knowing someone fully, perfectly, would only mean you know everything he has been through. I would rather discover something new about this person day by day, instead of fully knowing what he is thinking. Instead of knowing, I want understanding. Simply knowing does not mean you understand someone, and fully knowing someone, means you will never be able to understand that person.”

Sungyeol and Yoona… Were bonded by something much stronger than mere love… They were bonded… By the same vision of life.