Chapter 15

We Were There

Finally another chapterrrrr!
This week was my first weekof going to university,
and really, A LOT of things to do already... -.-
BUT, here I am again!
Also, it is almost my birthday!
I want to try to post on my birthday, but I will not promise anything :)
Here we go!
Tinywings


-----

I smiled happily as I walked home. Sungyeol had insisted on bringing me home, but I said I did not want my parents to know it yet. Actually, I was lying. Today had been such a weird day for me, I had to get some time to think quietly. I had to come back from my dreams, and think about everything thoroughly. A foolish thought, though, because in the end, I knew I did not have anything to think thoroughly about. Being with Sungyeol makes me so happy, that I have nothing to complain about, nothing I am worried about either. But maybe it is because of that incredible happiness I was feeling, that I wanted to calm down, just to know sure that I am not dreaming anymore. Sungyeol… Had always been like something unreachable for me, something I will never get. Now, I finally got him to open up a bit to me, but still it did not mean he will do that a lifetime.

A lifetime… I did not even think about a lifetime. I never gave it too much thought, because… I did not dare to. I was scared that once I gave it too much hope, I would be devastated in the end. Sungyeol means a lot to me, but… He did not make my heart at ease, at all. As if… One day… He could suddenly disappear…

I shook my head heavily, trying to get that thought off my mind. Do not think about such foolish things, Shim Minhee, Sungyeol is just by your side. I should enjoy every minute, every second with Sungyeol, without any waver and hesitation.

However, my bright mood was instantly gone as I opened the door to my house. My eyes widened as I saw someone unfamiliar in the living room, arguing with my mother mercilessly. I tried to comprehend the situation, and when I finally thought of a possible explanation, it was already too late to avoid it. The unfamiliar woman already noticed me, and the evil smirk she wore, frightened me. Her clothes were sharp, fashionable, the kind of clothes only those who have overloading confidence would wear. She was the kind of beautiful woman who took the lead, who had overwhelming charms, who had men all wrapped around her fingers.

“Is that your daughter? Hello there.”

My mother was instantly wary as she finally noticed my presence. I stood there, stiffened, not knowing what to do. I did not dare to move even one muscle, scared it would trigger them to snap.

“Minhee-ah…”

Mother’s eyes were full of sadness, pain; I saw it clearly as I looked in her eyes. However, I could not help but to glance over at the woman, and I instantly regretted it. The way she was looking at me, was as if she could eat me up alive. The look in her eyes, it was as if she wanted to kill me with that look.

“Do not be scared, little child. We grown-ups are just having a little chat. You should go to your room,” She said as she gave me a deadly glare, “because you have nothing to do with this matter. GO!”

I shuddered in fright as I heard her loud yell.  I wonder if a stranger had ever yelled so harsh to me before, but that was not important at all at the moment. What was important is the reason she was in our house, disturbing the peacefulness we were trying hard to build.

“Do you not dare to yell at my daughter like that!”

She smirked at the sight of my mother.

“You should not have such a tone in front of your child. What would she think, seeing her mother all devastated and broken?”

I did not listen to any of their words that followed. I shut my eyes tight, not wanting to hear one more word. My mind unconsciously wandered to Sungyeol, as always, longing for him to save me from this hell.

“Well,” The woman said while looking at her nails, “I do not think I am welcome here anymore, so I will just get going.”

She did not say anything else and proudly walked to the door. Her shoulder harshly brushed against me, but I did not dare to do anything to defense myself. It was only when I heard the door close loudly, that I dare to open my eyes. I wished I did not, though, because in front of me was a sight of my mother I did not want to ever see in my life, and that would haunt me forever. Just like when she slapped my face that day, this was an image I did not want to have it haunting me in my sleepless nights. The devastated, weak, broken woman in front of me, even though I did not want to admit is, is my mother.

“Mother-”

“Minhee, what to do?”

Her eyes were frightening empty as she looked at me, and honestly, I did not know what to do. I did not know whether I should comfort her, or simply stay silent.

“That filthy father of yours, that cruel husband of mine!”

My eyes widened in shock. Never once have I heard such words coming out of my mother’s mouth, and before I could even comprehend my actions, I ran away. I was shocked when I realized I had left my mother alone, saving myself from the frightening moment. But I could not help myself, I had to. Leaning against a wall gave me enough support to hold me standing, or else I may have just fall on the ground because of the shock.

Of course I knew who that woman was, I knew it very well. Making up, trying their best, for me, it felt all fake right now. Even when they have truly tried their hardest, for me, it still felt fake right now. I did not even try to hold back my tears; I did not find a reason to. No, instead, I wanted to cry my heart out, because this feeling inside of me is killing me, suffocating me. Cry it all out, Shim Minhee, and then, smile brightly again.

“Minhee?”

I was shocked to hear a familiar voice. I tried to hide myself, but it was a futile attempt as he kneeled in front of me. I have not seen him ever since summer break started, and it felt incredibly comfortable to be with him again. His gentle side attracted me, as always.

“Minhee, did something happened?”

“No.”

Go away, leave me. It is not that I do not want to see him or something, but I just do not want to let him see this horrible face of mine. I do not want to let him see this state of mine, unlike my mother.

“I see.”

He said as he patted my head gently.

“M-myungsoo, why a-are you here?”

I stuttered. He smiled gently, comforting my heart.

“I was just walking home from work, and then I saw you.”

I slightly nodded. I felt Myungsoo staring at me, and I knew he was waiting for me to tell him what had happened, but I told myself to say nothing. Such embarrassing things, I did not have the courage either to tell them.

“You really do not want to tell me?”

My heart was beginning to waver, and I knew I wanted to tell someone about it, to lift it off my chest. Anyone would do when it comes to telling things that are nagging your heavy heart, really. Just a listening ear, a silent listener, a comfortable person, that is all it needs to empty it all. However, Myungsoo is someone I cannot tell it to, because Myungsoo is… Sungyeol’s best friend.

“Myungsoo,” I tried to best to smile naturally, “thank you for your concern, but I am really alright.”

Myungsoo nodded understandingly. Myungsoo was such a lovely person, who would never force someone in anything.

“Such a dark night.”

He said as he pointed to the dark sky.

“But yet, so intriguing.”

I chuckled lightly.

“You talk weird, Myungsoo.”

“Just to make you smile again, it is.”

“Then you succeeded.”

I said as a smile crept on my lips.

“I knew I would.”

He said triumphantly, a playful smile appearing on his lips. Thank you, Myungsoo, for making me smile at such a time.

“You sound like Sungyeol.”

An indignant expression instantly showed on his handsome face.

“That is not a compliment.”

“You are way too gentle and caring to be like Sungyeol, so do not worry.”

I comforted him with a chuckle, and the relief was clearly shown on his face.

“Sungyeol would be so jealous if he were to hear this.”

“Definitely.”

We both laughed. Myungsoo sighed gladly as he patted my shoulder gently.

“Sungyeol likes you.”

I felt myself warming up to his words. Sometimes, it was hard to read Sungyeol’s thoughts sometimes, so to hear his best friend confirm it, made me exceptionally happy.

“Thank you for telling.”

“No, thank you for loving him.”