Chapter 12

We Were There

Hello!
This is the last chapter I had written beforehand,
which means that from now on, I can only post a chapter when I have written it.
I will try my hardest to post frequently,
so I will not lose track of the story. :)
Thank you for reading!
Tinywings


-----

“Do you want to look for happiness with me?”

The same question as I asked Yoona that day. Even though deep inside, I know Minhee is different, I cannot help but to wish for the same answer to come from . Someone who has the same vision as Yoona and I, someone who understands how I see the world.

“Why?”

My eyes flickered in surprise as I heard her pleading voice.

“Why are you asking me that?”

“I-”

“I always stood by my decision,” A tear rolled down her cheek as she continued, “to never waver when it comes to Sungyeol. It was a decision I made the day I confessed to you. But why are you asking me this question? Why?!”

My hand subconsciously went to her, but before it could touch her, a cruel flashback made me stop.

“Why, Sungyeol, why?! Why will you not believe me?!”

This is why I have to stay away from Minhee. This is why I cannot afford to stay by her side. Every time I am with Minhee, I am reminded of Yoona. Every time Minhee talks, I will hear Yoona’s voice again. Not only am I hurting myself this way, but also Minhee. But selfishly, I cannot stop myself from coming back to her.

“If you do not want to answer, then please do not.”

“It… It is not that I do not want to answer, it is that I simply do not know how to answer it.”

 I did not say a thing, no, I did not dare to say another thing. Maybe this time, I overdid it. I should not have taken her with me out of instinct. I should have just kept it all inside of me. I mean, nothing good will come out of it eventually.

“I should not have asked you the question.”

She shook her head lightly. I could see she was calming down slowly, but something else was taking over. Something I am beginning to see clearly in her eyes. It was something I hated to see in people’s eyes. Only one person dared to look at me with such an expression.

“Are you regretting?”

I never regret anything I did. But maybe… But maybe I messed up a little. That is all. Yoona’s death… I am not feeling any regret towards it. She was the one who betrayed me, she was the one who left me. So… I will never feel any regret. Never…

“Sungyeol, what makes me resemble her?”

She asked me with determination in her eyes. It did not escape my sight that a sole tear was making its way down her cheek again.

“I told myself not to talk mention it in front of you, not to think about it, but why does it seems like whenever I am with you, you always seem to think about her?”

“The way you speak, the way you act, even the way you look at me, it resembles her. That is why, I cannot love you back.”

“It,” Her body was shaking from the emotions she was trying to pour out, “It makes me feel like I cannot be with you, because I will only hurt you that way. You once said it, right? That I resemble her in every way but looks. Does… Does it hurt you? Do I despise you? Or in any way, does it make you want to replace her with me?”

“Then let me replace her.”

“Minhee, it is unfair to replace-”

“No, it is unfair to be gentle to me one moment, and to put distance to me the very next moment.”

I closed my eyes for a while. Lee Sungyeol, do you not see that she is not Yoona? When it comes to it, nobody can be as Yoona. Minhee… Cannot comprehend my thoughts. 

“Minhee, stay away from me.”

She looked at me with so much hurt in her eyes, it made my heart ache.

“What are you-”

“If you do not want to get hurt, then please, just stay away from me. Being by my side, will only hurt you, so if you are scared of getting hurt, then please, do not come near me.”

I cannot guarantee anything, Minhee. I can make you happy, but I can most certainly also make you cry. I know very well what I am doing to you, and doing to myself. She shook her head desperately.

“I do not care about getting hurt, but most importantly,” She looked up to meet my eyes, “I do not want to be apart from you just like this. Nobody wants to get hurt, that is why they protect themselves from danger. However, rather than running away, I want to love without any regrets. If one day you were to say that you do not want to see me anymore, then at least, I can close this love without any regrets. I do not want to regret not loving enough while I had the chance.”

“Sungyeol, that is what you call ‘loving with no regrets’.”

Stop doing this to me already. Stop resembling her so much. Stop saying things she said to me. Stop doing things she would do. Stop acting like her. Stop being exactly like her! If not, I do not know if my heart can take it any longer.

“Do you know what replacing someone means?”

I asked in a serious tone. She grinned while shaking her head.

“Replacing means putting someone in someone else’s place, letting this person take over the role that other person used to fulfill. If replacing her can make you happy, then I am willing to replace her for the rest of my life.”

“Do not say words you will not hold onto.”

“I will never break my promises.”

She said with full determination in her eyes. A crooked smirk formed on my lips.

“Do you really think you can hold onto them?”

“The promises I made with Sungyeol, I will never break them.”

I furrowed my eyebrows as a blank expression takes over my face. Her determination… Somehow, it does not make me happy. My heart started to beat fast when I saw the look she was giving me. That look…

“Tell me Sungyeol,” She said while staring in my eyes, “what is hap-”

She was interrupted by the sudden stop of the cabin. The doors opened automatically, showing the face of a smiling worker.

“Be careful while leaving.”

I scoffed frustrated before leaving the cabin, with Minhee following me quietly. As soon as we walked outside the entrance, I turned around to look at her with intensely.

“Continue what you were saying just now.”

A bright smile suddenly appeared on her face, making me feeling uncomfortable all of a sudden. How is it that she can smile so brightly again as if nothing happened? Why is it that she can be so strong? No, give me that look she was giving me just now.

“That I will never ever break my promises with you.”

-

“That I will never ever break my promises with you.”

Forget everything I just said, Sungyeol. Forget all the tears I just cried, and most importantly, forget the unsure expression I just showed. If it were to be someone I do not want to look insecure to, it would be you. In front of Sungyeol, I want to always wear a confident and bright face. That is another promise I made and that I will never break.

“Is that what you wanted to say?”

He asked while giving me a blank expression.

“Yes.”

I said confidently. However, his face did not brighten up at all. Did I say the wrong words? Did I, by any chance, overestimate myself again? Sungyeol, please stop making me this insecure all of a sudden, or else I will not be able to stand strong. Please smile like you always do, Sungyeol. The bright child-like Sungyeol, please return to that Sungyeol.

“I see.”

It came out as a low murmur, something I almost could not hear.

“Sungyeol is something wrong?”

“No.”

His voice made it clear he did not want to talk anymore, and I understood the message. We simply walked next to each other, not saying one word. I did not even dare to look up to him, scared I may make him angry. However, a smile unconsciously crept on my lips as I saw him pouting like a child. He was murmuring all sorts of things while kicking a tinned can around to release his anger. Slowly, he was getting back to the Sungyeol I love to see the most. The Sungyeol who acts like a kid, who will always gets his revenge when someone makes him angry; that is the Sungyeol I want to see. Although I fell in love with the mysterious Sungyeol, who helped me when I needed it the most, the carefree and childlike Sungyeol is the one I want to see the most.

“Sungyeol, I want to go to the restroom.”

He looked with an irritated look plastered on his face.

“Aish.”

 He said as he sharply turned around to the direction of the restrooms. I hid a chuckle as I followed him.

“There,” He said while pointing to the restrooms, “and be quick.”

“Sungyeol-ah,” I began as I grabbed hold of my cell phone, “you should wait next to the door, like a gentleman. Remember what your mother said, right?”

I said innocently, earning another glare from him. He nodded his head while keeping his lips shut, clearly holding the anger in him. He walked in small steps to the wall next to the door.

“Just. Go.”

“Ah, wait,” I said as I grabbed my phone to set it ready, “someone texted me. Oh, it is nothing.”

A smirk formed on my lips as I saw his frustrated face. Lee Sungyeol, this is going to be your punishment for that time.

“AAAAAAAH! Help!”

I took advantage of the fact that I caught him off guard and quickly dragged him inside the girls’ restroom.

“YAH! What are you doing?!”

He yelled as he roughly shook my hand off of his arm. I grinned as I quickly grabbed my cell phone to film the flustered Sungyeol.

“Sungyeol-ah, what are you doing inside the girls’ restroom?”

“YOU…”

He said in a dangerous tone.

“Give it here!”

I dodged him quickly and continued to film him. Everyone was giving us a weird look, but that did not matter at the moment. What does matter is the fact that Sungyeol can be himself for the moment. As long as he is happy, then I am. I will do my fullest best to protect Sungyeol from getting hurt, to support him. No hesitation, only determination when it comes to Sungyeol.