Chapter 20

We Were There

Helloooooooo!
Finally I am back again! I apologize for not updating for so long,
because I was busy with univeristy work. That is why, I said to
myself to write as soon as possible, and even though it is
almost 1 AM here, I really wanted to update. I do not know if
there are people, who really wait eagerly for an update from
this story, because maybe it is not worth the wait, but still, I feel
obliged to satisfy my readers. I used to hate it when people
suddenly stopped writing, but I know why now, so I do not want
to disappoint my readers the way I used to feel when someone
did not update anymore for a long time. I hope you enjoy it! :)
As for the story process, she has finally come! Im Sooyung
is Krystal of course, but I changed the surname. Even though
she looks more like Yuri than Yoona in my eyes nowadays,
when I first saw her, she did look a lot like Yoona.. X)
Here we go! :D
Tinywings


-----

Simply her name was able to explain everything. The reason why Amber suddenly acted so strange today, and honestly, when I glanced at Sungyeol, I wish I had not. The frightening indifferent look he was wearing, as if he did not care a thing about her presence, it scared me. What was worrying me the most, however, was certainly the fact that I did not know anything about her. Sungyeol, Amber, Sooyung, their lives seem interwoven with each other, but none of them dared to show it.

“Ah, yes, Im Sooyung. Please come inside.”

The teacher said, obviously not happy with the sudden disturbance. Sooyung nonchalantly looked around in the classroom, and I could see she locked eyes with Amber for a moment before forcing herself to continue. Her blank expression changed a second when she saw Sungyeol’s indifferent face, but she quickly looked at the teacher.

“Where do I sit?”

She asked bluntly, causing the teacher to frown. It was a wrong move to talk disrespectfully to our teacher, as she was the strictest teacher in our school. You did not want to give her a bad impression, but it seemed Sooyung could not care less about it. Seeing how she can stay calm while looking at the teacher’s furious expression, she certainly was not going to apologize.

“Im Sooyung, I know you are new, but that gives you no right to disrespect your teacher and act like this.”

“I am sorry, but how am I disrespecting you?”

The teacher was getting more and more furious, and that is when I realized, that she was not talking in formatives. In fact, she did not even talk in formatives when she stepped inside the room.

“Have your parents never taught you any manners, you disrespectful child?”

Everyone nervously watched as the teacher said those harsh words, and surprisingly, the new transfer student was hit by those words.

“Shut up.”

The tall girl said, her eyes glaring at the teacher seriously. However, the older one was not going to give in, not after how she talked to her.

“You disrespectful, rude, unmannered-”

“Shut up, you old hag!”

The teacher certainly was not going to accept such an insult, and indeed, she really did not. She slapped the new student harshly on the cheek, and everyone was shocked to see the incredible redness on her cheek.

“Someone like you, does not deserve to be in my class. No, someone like you, does not deserve to be in our school!”

Before the argument could go any further, someone suddenly stepped between them. I was not entirely surprised, when I saw that it was none other than Amber.

“I apologize on her behalf, miss Lee.”

“Go back to your sit,” The teacher said as she gave Amber a stern expression, “now.”

When she saw that Amber was hesitating, she furiously yelled.

“GO BACK TO YOUR SIT! NOW!”

Amber reluctantly walked back to her sit, glancing at Sungyeol as she walked. However, Sungyeol did not do anything. He simply watched, not moving a finger as he watched it. I really thought he would stay like that, but then suddenly, he stood up.

“Miss Lee, let me talk to her.”

“Lee Sungyeol, do not interfere-”

“Miss Lee,” He said politely, “I do not want our class to be disturbed because of one new student. This is our last year, and time is precious for all of us. As the class president, I will have a talk with her.”

The teacher scoffed while she looked at Sungyeol.

“Who said you are the class president? Do not overestimate yourself, Lee Sungyeol.”

“Miss Lee, I have been class president for our class since our first year. This year is not going to be an exception.”

I watched anxiously, worrying about what the consequences will be for Sungyeol to say such things to our teacher. Of course, I felt uncomfortable watching Sungyeol trying to help Sooyung, especially when their relationship seems to be so complex.

“Lee Sungyeol, I do not know what has gotten to you to act like this,” The teacher was everything but pleased, “but you should not act like this to your teacher.”

Silence filled the classroom as the teacher walked towards the front and looked through some papers. She sat down behind her table as she found the paper she was looking for and quickly wrote something on it.

“Lee Sungyeol, bring her to the headmaster, immediately.”

Sungyeol nodded as he walked to the front of the classroom to get the paper, and without acknowledging her presence, passed her without a word. She silently followed him and when both of them left, everyone anxiously looked at the teacher.

“Let’s continue the lesson.”

She coldly said as she stood up. However, before she began, she quickly added something.

“And Amber, we will have a talk after school.”

Our new school year, could start any worse than this.

-

“Sungyeol.”

I did not think I would ever hear her voice say my name again, but I was not surprised. I knew that eventually, she was going to come back. After all, there was no way she could let go of the past.

“Why did you come?”

I asked without looking at her. She was still as cold as always, and the scene she just made in the classroom, it was not the first time for her to act like that. Not when her sister was still alive, and certainly not after Yoona died.

“You should know why.”

“Of course.”

There was no other reason for her to come back, of course. It was futile to even ask. I can still remember our last conversation clearly, as if it was something that could not be erased.

“Are you regretting it?”

The smirk on her face was an unbearable sight.

“She is your sister, Krystal.”

“She was.”

“How could you say that?”

It was unbelievable how she did not seem to care even a bit about her sister’s death. It was so frightening, but yet, I could not help but to understand her at least a bit, because I, too, cannot help but to feel betrayed by her. In some way, we are both feeling the same.  

“She had a beautiful life, so there is no reason to pity her.”

“She always treated you like a sis-”

“Like her doll.”

It has always been uncomfortable to look into her eyes, because you could not see anything in them. The last bit of emotions, she already threw that away when her sister died. Somewhere, she did love her sister, but the pain she has been feeling all these years, of course it had overshadowed that weak love.

“She never meant to give you pain.”

“But she still did. Her mere presence… Was enough to give me unbearable pain.”

Sooyung, I could not help but pity her. She did not deserve all the pain. If only she did not look just like her sister, if only she did not look as if she and Yoona were twins, things would not have been like this. Her parents were never fair to her, and even Yoona herself know that very well. In the end, there was nothing anyone could do to stop Sooyung from hurting so badly over the years.

“But tell me, Sungyeol, are you regretting it?”

The grin on her face showed nothing but devilish amusement. It sounded horrible to even think about it, that she did not regret anything of what she did.

“Because, Sungyeol, we both know that she died, because of you.”

“Do not say it like that.”

Empty laughter filled the room as she heard my pleading words.

“Are you really regretting it? But Sungyeol, you should have known that it would end like this, when she comes to know the truth.”

“I did it because I-”

Because I pitied you, Sooyung. I did not finish my sentence, because I knew she did not want to hear it. She did not want anyone to pity her, and of course, she knew that I pitied her back then. That is why she cannot forgive me.

“Because you are a horrible person, Lee Sungyeol. Remember my words, Lee Sungyeol, that you are despicable.”


“Amber was trying to help you.”

I said, pointing out the obvious.

“She is pathetic.”

She said with a scoff, and it irritated me to hear her speak like that.

“She was just helping you.”

“You mean, she was just pitying me.”

“Yeah, you are right. Every single person on this world pities you. You are the one who is pathetic, Krystal.”

I said sarcastically.

“Do not call me by that name!”

She furiously yelled, surprising me. Of course she is angry, she has the right to be so, since I said the one name she never wanted to be associated with again.

“You have no right to say that name!”

“I am sor-”

“Apologizing when you do not mean it, is futile.”

Silence consumed both of us as we continued walking. A lot of things are bothering me right now, and in the back of my head, I realize things will get complicated from now on. Minhee, may get hurt in the process.

“You know,” Sooyung suddenly said, “Yoona was a fool. Her boyfriend did something like that behind her back. For her to go back to her abusive ex-boyfriend, it is only normal.”

I had to take a deep breath and shut my eyes tightly to stop myself from screaming back to her. One wrong move, and I may say things I will regret. Why does she have to bring it all back up? Why does she have to come and stir everything up?

“In fact, you do hate her.”

She continued, wearing a cold, evil smirk that does not suit such a face. Looking at her, still reminded me of Yoona.

“That is why you did not go to her funeral, right?”

Pain shot through my body as I was reminded of my refusal that time. Indeed, I did not go to Yoona’s funeral. I could not bear to take myself to that place, where her dead body was. So many things went through my head that time, I simply could not go there.

“Do not talk to me like that.”

“But Sungyeol, you deserve it.”

-

“Myungsoo, can I talk to you for a second?”

I nodded as I gave Sungyeol a concerned look. Certainly Sungyeol is having a really hard time right now.

“Of course,” I said as I put a hand on his shoulder, “is everything alright?”

He sighed as he gave me a weak smile.

“What do you think?”

This time it was me who sighed as I nodded understandingly. Of course he is not alright. There is no way he could be alright when things are being like this.

“She put such a scene in front of the class. What is she thinking?”

“I wish I knew.”

Sungyeol said as he put his head in his hands.

“Have you seen Minhee?”

A smile crept on my lips, but was gradually replaced into a concerned frown.

“Did you tell her about Sooyung?”

Sungyeol shook his head slightly. A sudden wave of anxiousness washed over me. If Minhee were to know about Sungyeol and Sooyung, certainly it will hurt her.

“I never told her about Sooyung, because I wanted you to be the one to tell her when you had the courage to. About Yoona, I thought I had enough right to tell her about her, but Sooyung… You are the only one who can talk about the two of you.”

“Myungsoo,” His voice sounded incredibly frustrated, “what can I do?”

His pleading eyes unsettled me. There was nothing I could do to help him, but I wish I could.

“Maybe you should tell her, Sungyeol. There is no way you hold it a secret form Minhee forever.”

He shook his head heavily.

“No! There must be another way!”

“Sungyeol…”

“There must be!”

“Yeol… You did not do anything wrong.”

Sadness and pain were filling his eyes as he looked at me, showing clearly the pain he was bearing right now. Sooyung must have said cruel things to him again, words Sungyeol take by heart.

“Myungsoo,” My eyes widened as a tear rolled down his cheek, “what can I do?”