Chapter 9

We Were There

Hello!
My two favorite chapters are coming up now!
Well, I will not spoil anything, soooooo,
here we go again! :D
Tinywings


-----

“Minhee.”

I automatically turned around as his voice rang in my ears. These days, it is as if even when I cannot hear a thing because of the noise, as soon as he talks, I will be able to hear only him. A smile formed on my lips.

“Yes, Sungyeol?”

“About our group project, the deadline is next week right?”

“Yes. Why, is something wrong?”

“No, it is just that I had some questions.”

He said while looking through his papers.

“Look,” He said while pointing on the papers, “here it says that the priority is to help the environment, but on this paper it says that it is the question whether or not it will help. Who wrote these?”

“Ah,” I said as I recognized a part of my work, “this part is from me, the second one. The first one is from Amber.”

“I see, and where did you get your information?”

I scratched my head as I tried to remember the source. I shook my head.

“I do not know anymore, but I have these files online.”

“I see.” He glanced on his watch. “Maybe we could sit somewhere to quickly look through this again.”

“Sure, but where?”

He thought about it for a while.

“There is an internet café nearby, right? Let’s just quickly go there.”

“Sure.”

The internet café was actually really close to our school, so in only a few minutes, we arrived. Sungyeol quickly sat down and began working. The serious, smart Sungyeol was such a contrast with the playful, somewhat arrogant Sungyeol. But maybe it was this contrast that made him the more special.

“I see, so this is your source.”

He said as he scanned the text on the site.

“You read it wrong.” He said while pointing. “It says that the question is whether their project will help the environment or not, but not the concept.”

“Ah, I see!”

I said brightly as I reread the article with his explanation. He sighed with a grin.

“Really, how could you be happy when you got it all wrong?”

“Should I cry instead then?”

I asked him without looking at him, as I was busy correcting my part. After correcting it, I turned to look at his amused face.

“You sure know how to talk back.”

“No, you just ask the right questions for me to answer.”

Before he could even reply, I quickly asked him a question. It is really easy to work with him, and he knows a lot. He must be blessed with lots of luck, because to me, he is perfect. From looks to intelligence, from sports to his ability to social with others; I do not admire parts of Sungyeol, I admire Sungyeol as a whole. Maybe it is true that perfect people come with secrets, but from that day onwards, I already decided to let his past be as it is. It would be a lie if I said I was not curious, but he is right, I should not look through his past. If Sungyeol ever wants to share me his secret, I would be more than happy. I will be patiently waiting for that day to come.

“Do you want to eat something before going home?”

I looked at the clock. Luckily I called mother before coming here, because it seems hours have passed already.

“Sure.”

I followed him as we both walked outside.

“What do you want to eat?”

“You choose.”

I said as my eyes wandered around the street.

“Then let’s eat something good.”

He said before grabbing my arm and dragging me with him. It took a while before we arrived, but seeing the bright look on his face, it was worth it all.

“Mother!”

I was startled as I heard his cheerful voice. It was like a whole other side of him, as he hugged his approached mother. I quickly bowed in respect.

“H-hello.”

I stuttered embarrassedly. Despite her age, she still looked beautiful, and you could clearly see the resemblance between mother and child.

“Hello, child. You must be Sungyeol’s classmate.”

I nodded eagerly, making them both laugh.

“Sungyeol, go sit there and I will bring you two delicious ramen.”

She said before smilingly walking away. Sungyeol gestured me to follow him. We went to the table against the window.

“So this is where you want to eat your delicious food.”

I said as my eyes wandered around the restaurant in awe.

“The ramen here is the best.”

He said proudly, making me grin.

“So you are a mother’s boy.”

I said teasingly, but deeply inside feeling happy as he had such a lovely mother.

“Well,” He said as he looked outside the window, “when you have no father, you will automatically be bonded with your mother, right?”

A wave of guilt and regret overflowed me. Again, I said the wrong words.

“Sorry-”

“How many times do I need to tell you to not apologize when you did nothing wrong?”

He said irritated. I scratched the back of my head nervously.

“I thought that this time, I really did do wrong.”

Sungyeol sighed defeated before taking his phone out of his pocket and playing with it. Uncomfortable silence consumed both of us, and I decided to just look outside the window. Occasionally, I would glance at Sungyeol, trying to look at what he was doing.

“Here is your food, enjoy.”

His mother said and he slowly put away his phone, giving his mother an angelic smile.

“Thank you, mother.”

“Ya, you should talk with- What is your name, child?”

“Minhee, Shim Minhee.”

“Talk more with Minhee-sshi. I saw you playing with your phone the whole time. Be more of a gentleman, Sungyeol.”

“Yes mother.”

He muttered silently. I chuckled as I saw him being so obedient to his mother. When his mother walked away, Sungyeol gave me an unhappy look while scoffing.

“Did you just laugh?”

“No.”

I lied as I happily ate my ramen.

“Yes you did.”

“No I did not.”

He clicked his tongue in frustration and wore an indignant expression, amusing me the more.

“Ya, Shim Minhee, I clearly heard you laugh!”

“Eat your delicious ramen while it is warm, Lee Sungyeol.”

He angrily ate his ramen as my eyes shone in victory. I almost choked in my ramen as I suddenly felt him kicking me under the table. He smiled at me innocently.

“Why did you kick me?”

He gave me a fake innocent, shocked look.

“What are you talking about?”

He continued in his innocent manner. I smirked before kicking him back, hard. The pain was written all over his face as he grabbed his leg.

“Ya, why did you kick so hard?!”

“W-what?” I said in the same fake, innocent manner. “What are you talking about?”

We kicked each other endlessly after that. Just like that, another day with Sungyeol passed by. Even though moments with him are only briefly, I still enjoy it. If only these happy moments would never end, how beautiful would that be.

-

 “Where is your home? I will take you home.”

Sungyeol said after saying his mother goodbye.

“Ah, you do not have to bother. I can go home myself. Should you not wait for your mother?”

“If I wait for my mother, I will not be able to sleep tonight. Come on, take me to your home.”

He said with a playful grin on his face. He was talking about all sorts of things again, but it was pleasant to hear him talking.

“How are your parents doing?”

He suddenly asked. I looked up to meet his concerned eyes.

“Ah,” I said while looking away, “they are doing well nowadays.”

“I see. That is good to hear.”

He said while nodding. I grinned playfully, making him look at me confused.

“Why are you giving me that expression?”

“Because Sungyeol is so cute.”

“Did you just call me cute?”

His indignant expression was priceless. I did not answer his question on purpose and walked faster with a victorious smile on my face.

“Ya!” He yelled furiously. “Aish, you are really getting on my nerves nowadays.”

“Tsk tsk,” I said while wearing a mocking expression, “is the great Lee Sungyeol that easily irritated? You just crushed your own great image, boy.”

“Are you mocking me?”

“That is just your imagination, Lee Sungyeol.”

“You are mocking me, are you not? And stop calling my full name!”

“Am not! Am not! Lee Sungyeol, Lee Sungyeol, Lee Sungyeol!”

 He shut his eyes furiously and groaned in frustration.

“Shim Minhee, you want to die?”

“As if you could.”

“You should not have said that.”

He opened his eyes and a devilish smirk formed on his lips.

“I think it is about time you get your punishment, Shim Minhee.”