Chapter 18

We Were There

Another chapter!
Honestly, I would want to write about the summer MInhee and Sungyeol spend together,
but I am feeling that the progress would be too slow then,
so I decided to shorten it into this one chapter by telling the results of their summer break together.
I think it is about time to bring the final character in the story,
and I had been thinking about the right moment for a while already.
It is hard to choose the right timing, but... It is hard.
Like I said, I would really want to write about Sungyeol and Minhee more
before the appearance of the last character, as it would show there growing love for each other,
on the other hand, I doubt it would not be boring after a while.
But I mean, there are already a few chapters about one night,
so it would be extremely weird to skip one whole summer.
Urgh... But I hope you all still enjoy the story!
Tinywings


-----

 

There was no way I could fall into sleep tonight, after everything that had happened. Instead, I stayed up to think about the things I never had the time for to think of, or maybe, things I never wanted my thoughts to wander to. I began to search for when they began to argue, when everyone in this house was beginning to drift away from each other. It was such a long time ago, that I already forgot about how this house was used to be.

The warmth, the coziness, the love, I did not find it at all nowadays. I do not get to see my father often nowadays, and I would almost describe my mother as emotionally unstable, if not for her will to live on peacefully. However, I wonder if after tonight, she will explode. I wonder, really, if she is going to give up the peacefulness she so desired, because I know it was killing her. Her man is having an affair behind her back, and he knows it is killing her.

I glanced at my phone as my mind unconsciously went to Sungyeol again. Maybe, just maybe, calling him would ease my heart. But on the other hand, I was so determined not to show Sungyeol this weak side of mine. I did not want him to know how weak I could be. I closed my eyes tightly, thinking about what to do.

My mind found one person who I could call, but I did not whether it was a good idea or not. He was someone I began to rely on too much nowadays, but I do not know if I should let myself.  I had a quick glance of the clock, telling me that it was already long past midnight, but since I had this urge to tell someone about it, I dialed his number quickly. My hands were shaking as I held the phone against my ear, and my heartbeat increased like crazy.

“Hello?”

His gentle voice was just as soothing through the phone.

“M-Myungsoo, I am s-sorry for calling so late. D-did I wake you u-up?”

I could vaguely hear a chuckle, and I could not be more grateful that he did not hang up instantly.

“Do not worry. Is something wrong again?”

I was surprised with the amount of concern he was talking to me, but at the same time, I was incredibly happy that he concerned so much about me.

“I-… I just wanted to talk to someone, and I could not think of anyone but you.”

“What about Sungyeol?”
I played with the plush toy on my bed nervously, hesitating whether to say it to Myungsoo or not. It would probably sound really weird to say that I do not want to talk to Sungyeol about it.

“I do not want him to know.”

I muttered in the end.

“Eh? Why?”

Myungsoo was clearly surprised, but he did not understand how I feel right now. I do not want to let Sungyeol know how pathetically weak I look right now.

“Myungsoo, could you be a listening ear for me? I really… I really want to let some things out.”

He did not say anything for some time, and I was about to take it back, but then he spoke again.

“Of course. Go on.”

A smile crept on my lips. Myungsoo never failed to make me feel warm inside, never. I heaved a big sigh before continuing.

“My parents are having a lot of problems nowadays. They seem to still love each other though, but somehow, they are drifting away from each other. Every time they argue, I would hide myself somewhere, because I did not like to hear their harsh words. I thought that they were gradually getting better together, but today…” I closed my eyes I continued, “Today the woman my father has been seeing came. She was so frightening; I was scared to death when I saw her. I-I was hoping that my mother would save me from this t-torture, but she did not. Instead, she sat on the ground, crying. Even when t-that woman left, she still did not stand up, and I did not know w-what to do anymore. S-such a sight, it pained me so much, so… I ran away from the h-heartbreaking scene.”

It was as if the burden had been lifted from my shoulder as I told Myungsoo everything that has been burdening me. Sungyeol had been there to heal me from time to time, but Myungsoo gave me the attention I needed so everything could be lifted from my heart. I could not be more grateful to have Sungyeol and Myungsoo.

“You have been strong, Minhee.”

My eyes widened in surprise. I did not expect him to say those words, not in a million times. I laughed awkwardly as I answered him.

“No, Myungsoo, I think you are wrong, I am everything but strong.”

“I am never wrong.”

“You are so con-” Suddenly a smile crept on my lips as I understood what he was implying. “Maybe you are right.”

“You should tell Sungyeol though.”

“I…”

I really did not want Sungyeol to know it, but maybe I should. Sungyeol would help me right? In the end, we should share our happiness and sorrow. However, there is still this urge inside of me that wants to keep everything a secret from him.

“I do not know, Myungsoo.”

“You know,” Myungsoo sighed, “Sungyeol was mad at me when I told him what I told you tonight. He did not want me to be the one to tell you all those, and really, I am regretting it now. Maybe I was interfering with something I should not, but even so, I still think you two should not hold secrets from each other. If you two really want to try, you should begin with being open to each other.”

“Myungsoo, it is hard to understand Sungyeol sometimes. I hope you understand that I am trying my best.”

Myungsoo laughed a little.

“Minhee, you do not have to try to understand him. If his words really do reach you, you will understand no matter what.”
 

Should I really rely on fate and destiny so much? Should I really let all of it go and await the future that is destined for me? Always, I have always believed that you should work for your own future, and even now, I believe that without effort, you will never get what you want. But is it really time to let it go when it comes to Sungyeol, and try to let his words wash over me? Maybe when I put all my trust in him, he will be able to reach me.

“Thank you Myungsoo, for everything.”

“I thought you would not thank me anymore.”

His response made me laugh. He really did take my words by heart.

“This was the last time. Good night, Myungsoo.”

-

I woke up in the morning because of the familiar sound of my phone. I ruffled my hair as I grabbed my phone, not expecting someone to text me so early in the morning.

I heard from Myungsoo that you were crying yesterday.
Is it because of your parents again?
Sungyeol


Warmth overwhelmed me as I read his text. I could not ask for more, when I have Sungyeol. I smilingly replied his message.

You know me too well, Lee Sungyeol.
But it is solved already. I am alright now.


In the end I did not listen to Myungsoo’s advice. I wonder if it is because I really do not want to tell him, or that I am simply scared to his reaction. Whatever the reason is, I already decided to keep it a secret from him. Also, I do not want to put our relationship at risk, as there are still so many things we have to solve. My problem will only bring our relationship down.

Is it really solved?

I reread his reply multiple times. It felt as if I had been caught, but still, I refused to say it. I took a deep breath before typing my reply.

Believe me, yes.

I threw my phone on my bed and closed my eyes shut. It felt almost wrong to keep it a secret from Sungyeol.

Let’s meet each other Monday again.
I want to see you.


I reluctantly picked up my phone to read the message, thinking he would continue to suspect me, but I was wrong. A bright smile appeared on my lips as I read his message. I sighed happily as I looked around in my room. Never had I been so happy that it was summer. This would be the best summer in my life.

-

Indeed, it was the best summer in my life. We had gone out together for countless times, and I loved every moment with him. It was a carefree, happy summer that we spend together. It would not be an understatement that we went to every possible place in Seoul, but everywhere was extremely fun, because of Sungyeol. Also, the argument he and Myungsoo had ended being forgiven and forgotten by the both of them, and they returned to their usual selves when together. Such a bond, it was envious.

By the time summer break was nearing to its end, Sungyeol and I had already built up a strong relationship. He treated me like a princess, and first it felt weird, but now I am used to it, I do not think I can go back to my normal life again. He spoiled me so much that I think my both feet already left the ground, and that I must be living in a blissful heaven.  

But even with all these happiness, I always had something in the back of my mind, reminding me that I should be wary. I told myself to always remember that Sungyeol still has Yoona in his mind, and I should not let myself drown in the happiness, because Sungyeol may hurt me in the end. But the irony is, even though I said to myself, every time I see Sungyeol, I will forget it instantly. When I see him, I will forget about everything but him.

Honestly, I was hoping that by being by his side, he would slowly forget Yoona. I was wishing that by filling his mind with memories of us together, it could replace the memories he had with Yoona. But deep inside, I knew that would be the case. I knew Sungyeol would not forget Yoona that easily, and even though I do feel envious, I also really admire the Sungyeol who does not forget someone dear to him. The Sungyeol who loved Yoona so passionately, I love that side of him too.

Little did we know that the beginning of a new school year would bring us anything but smiles and happiness.