Chapter 2

We Were There

After that day, I never got to speak to him again. Even though we would greet each other when we saw each other, we never spoke to each other as that night again. Deep inside, I felt disappointed, but I was never the kind of person to seek for someone’s attention, so that one night is enough to make me content.

“Ya, what do you mean divorce?!”

I walked to my door to listen to my parents’ argument. I could feel my heart beat fast as I heard their harsh words.

“I want a divorce! I cannot live with someone who is having a woman outside!”

“Do you know what you are saying?!”

“Then what do you want?! Do you want us to continue living with each other like nothing ever happened?! Do you want to kill me? Do you?!”

I closed my eyes, blocked my ears with my hands. Mother wants to have a divorce? Tears started flowing down as I understood the meaning of the word. Actually, I had seen it coming, but to hear those words coming from their mouth, it felt so painful. To see how my family is gradually falling apart, it tears my heart apart.

“Do you even know what you are saying? Do you even know what I am thinking? Your husband is having an affair, but have you ever considered why he would ever do that?!”

“Are you blaming me?!”

Their argument did not seem to end, and I simply do not understand anymore. Who is wrong, who is right? Is this how everything is supposed to be? Someone, please tell me, because for me, it does not make any sense anymore…

“Life would be boring without arguments.”

Sungyeol, I wonder if what you say is right.

-

“Hello, what can I- Minhee-sshi, having a big appetite again?”

I looked up as I heard his soothing voice.

“Sungyeol-sshi.”

He smiled brightly, radiating warmth to his surroundings.

“What can I get you?”

“I… Uh…” I stuttered, a sudden embarrassment overflowing me.

“Three hamburgers, two medium fries, one bulgogi burger, and one large cola please.”

He nodded as he accepted my money and quickly put the food on the tray. He gave me another smile as he handed me the food.

“Enjoy your food.”

“T-thank you.”

After I sat down, I searched for him with my eyes. Once again, his smile never left him. The only time I saw him serious, was when we were talking at the bus stop. And because he was so serious back then, I cannot help but to think that that moment meant a lot, to the both of us. I sighed heavily before eating my food. Lost in my thoughts, I did not notice someone sitting next to me.

“Mind if I sit here?”

I was startled to hear his voice.

“N-no, of course not.”

If I were to be honest, I ordered so much food because I secretly wanted him to sit next to me. I secretly, selfishly wanted him to sit next to me and listen to me, and I could not be happier, because he really did.

“Here, eat something.”

I said as I shoved the food towards him. I ate in silence as he once again began to speak about a lot of things. I enjoyed his talking and voice; it made me forget everything else for the moment.

“You must like hamburgers a lot, because you always order a lot of them.”

He said while looking at the burger in my hand. I scratched the back of my head in embarrassment.

“Actually, I eat hamburgers when I am feeling sad. It is just… my way of getting rid of anger.”

“Girls should not eat fast food so often. It makes them fat.”

“W-well, that does not matter to me. I mean, I have no boyfriend or something, and I sure am not pretty… So, it does not matter.”

“It does matter.”

I looked up to meet his serious eyes. I could feel fright building inside of me, feeling his eyes looking into mine.

“Every single thing you do, it does matter. Saying that it does not matter, is just a way of avoiding things you do not want to face.”

How is it that he can speak with so much confidence? How is it that I feel like he seems so unreachable, yet so incredibly close?

-

“Can I ask you something, Sungyeol-sshi?”

We were sitting on the same bench again. The dark, silenced night surrounded me with a pleasant feeling, and I grabbed all my courage to speak.

“Sure.”

He said, once again looking up to the sky.

“How do you know who is right and who is wrong when it comes to love?”

“You mean when they are arguing?”

“Y-yes, like that.”

He took a deep breath and I could see he was thinking hard about it.

“Does it matter?”

I gave him a puzzled look as I heard his question. It felt strange that he just told me that everything matters, and now he is asking me if it really matters whether someone is wrong or right. It felt contradicting, but yet I felt so drawn to his words.

“I do not know.”

“Does it matter whether someone is wrong or right? As long as both people think they are right, how will you ever define wrong and right?”

“But-”

He grimaced as he turned to face me.

“You sure seem to have a lot of love problems.”

I quickly avoided his eyes and stared in front of me. My expression fell as I recalled the argument tonight.

“It is not me, it is my parents.”

His expression instantly turned into a frown as he heard it.

“I see.”

I smiled upon hearing his answer. Even he could have things he does not know how to answer.

“Love between two persons, is strictly personal. Even though you are their child, does not mean you can fully understand them. Love, does not always has to make sense.”

I tried to comprehend his words. In some way, it does make sense, but how is it that love does not always make sense? Is it that I myself never fell in love, that I cannot comprehend it? Am I still too young to understand love?

“Sungyeol-sshi, you seem to know so much. I envy you.”

“I envy you.”

I gave him a surprised look.

“You envy me?”

He chuckled as he saw my expression and gently patted my head.

“I envy your innocence.”

-----

Chapter two!
Because for this story, I decided to write a lot before posting it, it feels weird to reread it.
I am starting to forget what I already wrote X)
Tinywings