Chapter one

We Were There

“Three hamburgers, two bulgogi burgers, and… One large cola please.”

The cashier lazily accepted my money and got my food. He did not even bother to say ‘enjoy your food’, but I still gave him a polite smile as I walked away with my tray of food. I sighed as I took place at one of the tables, staring at the food before me. Without hesitating, I grabbed a burger and ate it in anger.

“Stupid parents…”

How scary that it was beginning to be a daily routine to hear them fight, to hear them scream to each other. To see the two persons I care about the most fighting so much, it was heartbreaking. Just like today. Father came back early, and everything seem to be going nice, when suddenly someone called him. Mother and I both knew what was going on for the past few months, and it was breaking my mother’s heart to know that her husband was having an affair. After the phone call, father quickly stood up and said he had to go somewhere. Mother snapped after hearing it, and another argument started. She yelled that he promised to help me with my homework, that he was cheating on her and being unfaithful. I could not take it anymore and on the spur of the moment, I ran away. It was the first time I ran away from them, but it felt incredibly relieving to be away of them for a moment. After walking for a while, I went into the MacDonald’s, and ordered a lot of food to relieve my anger. I did not notice the time as I continued to attack my food.

“Wow, you sure have a big appetite.”

I quickly stopped and looked up to meet a pair of amused eyes.

“H-hello, Sungyeol-sshi.”

I embarrassedly said, knowing how I must have looked in his eyes. He chuckled as he took place right in front of me.

“I never expected Minhee-sshi to have such a big appetite.”

I just smiled awkwardly, not knowing how to answer his statement.

“W-what are you doing here?”

I asked him, trying to change the silent atmosphere around us.

“I just finished working. I work here.”

“I-I see.”

I looked at the food before me and then glanced at him.

“Would you want some? I cannot finish it all.”

“Sure.”

He said with a smile and grabbed one of the burgers. Silence was not his thing apparently, as he began talking to me about a lot of things. From complaints about school to his favorite movie; it seems he is born to talk. But the one thing I noticed was that he never stopped smiling. Not once did he stop smiling, just like how he was at school. We are classmates, but we do not talk to each other often. Honestly, he was the kind of person everyone wanted to talk with, so I never even got the chance to talk to him.

“Do you think our class will do something fun this year with the school festival?”

He asked me while eating his burger.

“I doubt it, actually.”

He nodded with a smile.

“I am thinking exact the same thing. Those guys never think of something good.”

I smiled as we continued our conversation. And throughout the conversation, not once did he lose that pleasant feeling surrounding him.

-

“Which way are you going?”

“I have to take the bus, and you?”

He pointed at the same bus stop that I needed.

“I have to take that one.”

“Me too!”

He chuckled, and I could not help but to notice how handsome he looks.

“Let’s go then.”

I followed him to the bus stop and we both took place at the bench. He sighed contently as he looked at the sky. I imitated him and looked up too.

“Sungyeol-sshi,” I began to break the silence, “can I ask you something?”

“Sure.” He said without looking at me.

“Why do people argue all the time?”

Honestly, I wanted someone to talk to, to tell my problems to. I do not know why, but I just wanted to tell him my problems. So I grabbed all my courage and did. When it stayed silent, I thought he would not answer me, but I was wrong.

“People worry because they care about the other. They want to know how the other is doing, and they feel sad and angry when they feel betrayed. Some say people argue because they do not understand each other, or simply because both of them want to be right, but for me, people argue because they feel like they are drifting away from the other.”

He turned his face to me, his sudden serious expression startling me.

“But that is just how it is meant to be, right?”

“Meant to be, you say…”

I smiled bitterly.

“I wonder why though.”

“Life would be boring without arguments.”

He said while smiling to me. Is that so? However, the way he speaks makes him look so confident in what he is saying.

“Do you not think, Minhee-sshi? It would be way too silent for me, though. I mean,” And once again, his expression turned serious, “worrying is a privilege of the living, is it not?”

At that moment, I did not fully understand with he meant.

-----

Hello!
The first chapter is short, but I cannot seem to make any of my first chapters longer than this... X)
Tinywings