Stranger 25 : Inferior

Arrogant Stranger

Stranger 25 : Inferior

 

Previously

He went out from the study room, puzzled. His grandfather was a very intimidating man… to this point. He personally never met a man who are so willing on sacrificing his family stable life for something far unknown. It’s not that he trusted the rumor or the curse but the level of catastrophe and the fact that most of them already knew but they haven’t spoken anything about it was what doubtful for him.

“Yonghwa..” His grandfather stepped out from his study room for a while. “Have you heard anything from your girlfriend?”

“I haven’t. My phone was off the entire day because you asked me to do so.”

“I think you should pay more attention to each other regardless you trust the curse or not.”

Then Yonghwa remembered, that she did said she felt unwell earlier that day.

He cursed inwardly when he noticed how many missed calls she had left.. and then the text. The text saying she needed him. Then it went again and again on how she was afraid.

Something was wrong and he prayed like a mad man that she is fine and well.

He stormed off from the mansion and tried to call her phone.

***

Yoona stared at the ringing phone, sighing. The maknae stubbornness is shining through in all the wrong ways right now. She was honestly perturbed by the fact that the maknae is seemingly enjoying it in some twisted way letting the phone kept on ringing by her side while she kept on typing ridiculously fast about who knows what.

It stopped for a while and just when Yoona thought she was about to has her peace, the phone rang again.

She sighed yet again.

“He deserves it.” Seohyun said nonchalantly.

“Silent it, at least.”

“I want it to ring. I want to know he cares.”

“Why are you doing this Seohyun?”

“Why?” Seohyun stopped typing, looked back at the still standing Yoona. “Because I’m tired of being understanding about his negligence towards me which I fully aware off why, but I feel he’s taking advantage of my presence with him.”

“He must be worried, Seo Joohyun.”

“I know.” Seohyun covered her face with her palms. “I’m scared, especially of the unknown and I feel us distancing from each other every single day. He was busy, I know why. He’s trying to make everything work out but if it results as something happening like today. He said he’s going to send Jonghyun oppa over at the very least and he will check about me as often as possible but he didn’t. I didn’t see any trace of Jonghyun oppa, nor does he even picks up my phone call. And don’t try to say I have no bassist since I called and checked that he’s in the office. I’m OFFENDED.”

“Forgive unnie for saying this but you clearly want him with you at times like this.”

“I do… but at time like this I want to know his willingness. I know it’s childish.” Seohyun’s wiped the wetness on her cheeks immediately, bracing her strength again. “I just wanted to see how he will try to be by my side. Put aside the politic for a while. I mean for me the future is not yet confirmed but the present is something else. It’s essential and is happening now.”

“Actually, in your schedule you were supposed to go to Italy today. Do you want to leave it as that?”

“You, going to help me run away from my problem?”

“You’re not running, you are here. And honestly, I don’t feel like helping you in your coping mechanism. Jung Yonghwa is someone you care not for you to play games on. Face your problem heads on. Express your disappointment.”

“I’m expressing it.”

“By ignoring? You’re helping you two to grow further apart.”

Seohyun turned her back on Yoona, putting all her attention on the laptop once again. Yoona knew, this maknae was just being stubborn again.

 “Ara.. when are you going to tell your parents?”

“Halmeoni will do it. I don’t want any dramatic reactions being thrown at me.”

“Your parents is very compose Seohyun… they won’t.”

“That will hurt me more then.” Seohyun said in an almost whisper. “Unnie, can you bring me the medication in the bag at the small table there.” Once she heard the door closing in, she grabbed her phone.. bringing herself to type in her whereabouts to Yonghwa.

‘I’m at Yoona unnie house.’

“I don’t think that you should get inside.” Yoona gently laid her back on the wall standing in front her was the horrible looking man, clearly feeling nothing but his happiness being out of him. “She just took her medicine, she’s going to have a few mood swings it can lead into something horrible for sure. God knows what kind of word will escape this time.”

“Are you suggesting me to leave her at this kind of time, alone?”

“Do you even know what’s going on?”

“Then let me in and I will know.”

“You two are stubborn. I won’t talk because it’s up to Seohyun to delight you with the details. You really shouldn’t have made her feel that kind of distance at the first place.”

“I don’t see anything wrong with my approach. We did talk.”

“Lesser than usual. It’s a girl thing. They get insecure easily. You’ve been suffering too much by yourself and she said that you guys weren’t in contact when she was away but she’s fine with that… but today. You took it on another level.”

“I forgot. Let me make it up.”

“You’re still insisting to get inside?”

“Yes.”

“Fine with me but I already warned you.”

“I can’t meet up with her another time Yoona, I got my time full with dealin..”

“You better shut up, before I slap you right now.” Yoona stood up, straight this time. No leaning back anymore. “Postponed it you idiot. Your girlfriend is sick… Whatever sickness it is. You really want to play the busy card again? Not even a week of your free time can make it up. I’m on your side despite being her unnie but if you pull this again. I don’t think I can face you the same way again. Now get back your mind and pull it all together.” Yoona keyed in the passcode to her apartment and let Yonghwa in.

“Don’t take anything she said seriously. She’s having mood swings because of the medicine. I’m going to the grocery store.” She said, before closing the door leaving the shock Yonghwa.

“You JERK. End this.. End this then!” Seohyun screamed.

“What are you talking about? It’s crazy. I won’t leave you.”

“You already did Jung Yonghwa.”

“Don’t be so dramatic Seo Joohyun. Are you treating me as one of your experiments right now?”

“You always are Jung Yonghwa. Don’t we agree at the first place to use each other. You got your part and I’m trying to play experiment with you. What do you think.. am I a kid?”

Yonghwa massaged his temples… trying to lessen the headache dealing with her. “Please talk to me… I heard you’re sick.”

Seohyun sighed and sat down. “I think something is up with the medication. I think I’m having mood swings. I don’t think it’s wise to talk… for now let’s take a break. I need a break.”

***

He was attending a party held by a politician only because he heard that Seohyun might be there. He was itchy to talk to her after their last conversation. It’s been two days since he last seen her. Not really two days, he has been stalking her very constantly because he is really worried about her condition despite getting the receiving end of her father’s glare whenever he tried to sneak a look at the stunning lady.

From what he had gathered and Seohyun did told him from time to time about her condition through the text if something happened. Mostly she said she’s doing fine, no sign of the symptoms are present and Kyuhyun’s team is working on it.

Yonghwa was there when the gazed of the attendees were directed to him and the girl who came separately once she strutted her way in. They were thinking that there might be a problem between the couple.

She wore a long slim cut black dress. It was classy y, thankfully… but still his lady managed to steal the erted guys attention in the room. In a funny sense and maybe not so coincidental on her part they always manage to end up at the opposite side of the room until of course he approached her despite getting the creeps for the old man standing next to her.

“Seohyun sshi, looking ethereal like always.” Yonghwa tried to charm her with a smile which she smiled back to, despite her eyes looking at the floor. She was clearly not fine with his presence.

“Hi oppa.” Seohyun leaned forward, making her cheek visible to his vision. More to offering him to kiss her there which he got the hint so he leaned in for a peck.

“We should attend this as a couple. I don’t want any weird rumors.” Seohyun said, her eyes were directed to the eyes looking at them now.

He sighed… he can be her slave if she wanted him too especially after the fight..

They went ahead, linking arms with each other despite the cold shoulder the latter was giving him…. Only having a few exceptions when the events called for it to act endearing to each other and since they have spent one hour together, Seohyun told him to proceed on his business around the party while she’s going to do hers. She was gone right away and now he’s stuck with her dad.

 “You told me, you promise me… and what is happening now?”

“I’m sorry.” Yonghwa was about to bow when Seo Kyung Ho held his shoulder, his strength can be felt despite his old age. Yonghwa stopped moving.

“You know the scariest thing for a father to experience? It’s the fear of seeing our daughter to get hurt by some jerk. Whether the guy is able to treasure her like we did. Seohyun is one of the most important women in my life and she’s my only daughter. To be as compose as I did when I’m entrusting you to her despite the scare about what the future hold you will never understand kid. I’m giving you one last chance. She’s at the garden.”

Seohyun was up gazing the stars after the passing by of the drizzling rain. It felt colder now more than before, it’s like a cold shiver running through her veins that she can’t help but bring her arms together to rub her bare skin, wanting to get more heat through when she suddenly felt a her bare shoulder being covered. It was a coat. A coat with a scent that she fully familiar with. It was his.

“It’s pretty,  isn’t it the stars?”

Seohyun looked at the source of the voice, looking a bit shocked than she was supposed to… but he just shrugged in return.

“I can’t possibly leave you alone. You might look all toughen up at the outside but you’re just fragile in my eyes.” Yonghwa said, but he was smiling.. It looks like a grateful looking smile to her.

“You know oppa? Sometimes… you need to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of what’s in front of you instead of rushing forward because you might just lose something precious along the way and there will be one point where you forget what are you doing there. Your life principle, goals and love you once had will be forgotten. That’s the scariest thing I’ve seen happening among my friends and I don’t want it to happen to you too. I guess I freak out the wrong way that night.”

Yonghwa eyed her lovingly… to have someone care for you. It’s the most special feeling one could have indeed.

She removed her daze gaze from him, back towards the sky. “Nature is nice.” She said, sounding like a whisper. The soft windy breeze blew her black hair out, it was even slightly hitting his face by now. But the smell of the shampoo, he recognized it. It was a mix of melon and orange.. It’s like a smell of summer.

That’s what Seohyun was for him. She was just like the warmth of summer hitting his cold days.

It’s weird really because he just picked her out of the small pool of wealthy girls. If he weren’t so obsessed in climbing to the top, will he even be able to talk to her?

Just like that, his hand stretched to feel her hair… combing it with his fingers and at that moment somehow their eyes met. He gulped but his eyes still gazing onto hers. She managed to break the tension once she removed her gaze and pointed towards the sky.

If they weren’t in this phase of a relationship, he would have kissed her… but he wouldn’t want to risk it. He wouldn’t want her to be mad at him again. Not when he possibly can get more kisses after this.

“Look!” Seohyun exclaimed.

“Oh. It’s a shooting star!” Yonghwa said sounding a bit too excited. “Wish.. quickly.” Yonghwa shuts his eyelids tightly, wishing for his dream silently.

Seohyun took a peek over the guy next to him who looked nothing like an arrogant dude that has been complaining about the food inside. She unknowingly smiled and despite not trusting it, she too made a wish.

“You know oppa, you look too excited for a guy. Even I, don’t look that excited when I saw it.” Seohyun pointed at his face, giggling.

His heart felt so giddy. It’s like thumping none stop with the sight of her. She was laughing… and it was really addictive. “A man got to tone down his charm to be relatable.” He grinned.

“Just so you know, that thing we just saw earlier… it’s a satellite. It’s not a star.”

“You’re such a spoiler Seo Joohyun..” He scoffed disbelievingly towards the woman who seemed to bear no second thoughts about her statement.

“But..” Her face then changed… it was sweeter in a way. “What’s the harm in wishing even if the chance of it being a shooting star is low?”

“Jasshik.” Yonghwa smiled cheekily. His cheeks were almost popping out.

Seohyun blushed at the endearment that he used.

“What do you wish for?”

“Longer time… longer time to settle things down here. I promise you know… when I was a kid that I will appreciate life more. That I will spend my life doing meaningful things but I forget that my own happiness is what matter most. Oppa make me think of that. I’m sorry for lashing out on you.”

“Ah… the nature feels so refreshing.” Yonghwa spreads his arms, welcoming the night breeze which Seohyun giggled at unaware of his other intention. He sneakily held her shoulder… closing the distance. Seohyun stared at him in disbelief. “Not letting me go?”

“Nope.”

She just sighed in return.

 “I know it’s only been 2 days but do you want to take back the break that you wanted from me?”

“Do you think it’s wise to do so?”

Yonghwa nodded, enthusiastically. “I’m dying here, I’m dying of anxiousness wanting to know about your condition.”

“You’ve been stalking me oppa, and nothing happened. It’s not like I didn’t know. And it might even be symp..”

“Don’t you dare say sympathy.” Yonghwa cut down her sentence. “Because it’s not. I guess I too lost track of what precious in my life when I was chasing the future. You need me… I need you. Who are we kidding? We need each other Seo Joohyun.”

“I need you?” Seohyun chuckled while Yonghwa frowned. “Aigooo.. you vain guy.”

Yonghwa sighed, swirling the champagne in his glass muttering the courage to say his next words. Admitting his faults… although, admitting it to Seo Joohyun is easier compared to others because she deserves it. She really does. “Seo Joohyun… For all those time I lost sight and take you for granted I’m sorry. It’s silly if I kept saying that it’s for you… In a way, that curse affected me though I hate to admit it. I do feel a bit scared. What if it’s true? What if it’s going to affect us?”

“Oppa, it’s not just you. It’s me too, the curse scared me too.”

“So we are going to cancel the break then?”

“We’ll see. Come meet me up tomorrow and I’ll tell you the result.” She smiled sneakily.

“Hah. Seo Joohyun… you sure know how to play me don’t you?”

“Enough for you to comeback to me.”

 

 

 

Author's Note

Arrogant Stranger is definitely approaching it's end. Likely, less than three chapters.