Stranger 21 : Troll

Arrogant Stranger

Stranger 21 : Troll

 

Previously:

“I thought you will run before?”

“In your dreams oppa. I won’t let you off that easily.” Seohyun crossed her arms on her chest before glaring at him. Yonghwa chucked before hitting the break pedal once they reached at her front yard.

Yonghwa held her hand and kissed it. “I appreciate what you do with those kids. They need a woman you know.. a mother like figure that doesn’t beat them up or sold them..”

“I know.”

“You know that I think I’m in love with you even more right?”

“I know that too.”

“How?”

“Because I think I’m in love with you even more than before too.”

“Why?”

“I like that you are a man that stay true to yourself.”

***

“Ahgasshi.” The young guard frowned at the sight of his milady tip toeing into her house, holding both of her heels with her hands.

“Shh.” She shushed him and begged him with her hands as it clasped together to keep it down and go back to his post.

“Alright..”

“Shh!” twitched in frustration as he was about to make another unnecessary noise. He nodded and quickly turned and walked away awkwardly from the scene. Seohyun heaved a deep sigh as she saw her bedroom on the 3rd floor and was about to walk in when she heard chattering sounds coming out from the study room.  

She stopped her steps, slightly parted and her right ear was keen on listening to the next conversational exchange that was occurring inside the mansion. She redirected her route and went to the left side instead of the right side and walked backwards slowly, eyeing the slightly open dark oak door.

“Are you seriously letting Joohyun wanders around with that Yonghwa boy?”

“What should I do then, stop them?”

“Yes.”

“What? No..  I won’t do that. Not after what we’ve done to her.”

“You think your dad will let this be? Considering, our family history.”

“Listen, they all think it’s a myth. It doesn’t matter.”

“You think, the upcoming political fraction divided between us and the Jung side won’t do them any harm?”

“Yeobo, listen. You just got home, you should rest and see our Joohyun and smile.. then you will invite Yonghwa to come.”

“No. I won’t accept him.” Seohyun’s mom was about to walk out from the room and about to encounter her daughter who eyes are peeking the slightly open the door.

“Honey!” Seohyun’s dad held his wife wrist, trying to calm her down and Seohyun felt her heart jumped a little as she quickly took cover at the back of the door, gluing her back with the wall. Seohyun couldn’t hear the rest of the talk and she opted to walk out from the scene knowing fully well that she won’t like the content of it at all.

“For now, we should let them be. The Jung still doesn’t send any countering proposal and it’s fine Yonghwa aren’t involve on handling any of the Jung’s endeavour.”

She doesn’t want to think negatively but there’s definitely something going on in her own house and she intends to find out that ‘something’.

“I get it. Though I have doubts because blood is indeed thicker than the water I’m just going to trust Joohyun on this.”

Soft knocking sound was heard on her door and she braved her weak heart to answer it.

“Come in.”

She heard a creaking sound coming out from the hinge of the door as it slowly revealed her mother silhouette.

“Joohyun.” Her mother lets out a gentle smile as she slightly ran to hug her daughter who was in hurry to hide her heels under her blanket.

“Omma.” She heaved a deep sigh as she returned her mother gesture. “I miss you.”

“So I’ve heard regarding the heartthrob you’ve been constantly seeing lately. I wanted to know the guy more, me and your father. No. It’s more to our whole family. Can you bring him tomorrow, darling?”

“Do, I really need to?” Seohyun reluctantly asked.

Seohyun’s mother unwrapped her arms around her daughter body as she gently pushed Seohyun away to look at her face properly. “What, do you mean by that? Is that a look of worry that I see from you?” Seohyun’s mother lifted her daughter chin to look properly into her deep brown eyes. The one she had gotten from her father.

“Nothing.. nothing.” Seohyun forced a small smile. “I will ask him to come over tomorrow.”

***

Seohyun stood there in front of the tall mirror as she lets the dresser adorned her with jewelry and adjusted her hair as it lets the end of hair curled flawlessly. She noticed the smile her mother has been throwing her as she sat there on her king size bed, reading the magazine and sometimes peeking on her daughter getting ready.

“Why, do I need to dress so extravagantly like this?” She knew she was supposed to be happy but she can’t help but getting uncomfortable with the setting she was on.

“It’s not extravagant dear. See? There such a subtle amount of make-up used on your face. I just wanted you to be treated like a princess today. Sorry, that I can’t make it on your ‘coming back’ day. You know your grandpa send me to Japan right? I will tell you later tonight about it.” Seohyun’s mother stopped reading the magazine and settled in beside her daughter. Standing and smiling proudly looking at her beautiful daughter.

“It’s done ahgasshi.”

“Thank you.” Seohyun nodded gracefully.

“Has he proposed to you?”

“What? No!”

 “Why, hasn’t he? I thought the news was true and the denial was just you being unsure about the date.” The look of surprise could be seen from her mother’s concern gaze but Seohyun stood mutely there and somehow her mother understood how distant they have been for quite a while and Seohyun has always been closer to her dad.

“I got it, Seohyun.” Her mom tapped on her shoulder softly. “I hope he’s a great man.”

“He’s a man with big dreams omma and I wanted to follow him till he reaches it and how can I get engaged without telling you beforehand omma. You’re still my mom. ”

“I’m thankful for that Joohyun, I don’t feel all that good about this man maybe because I haven’t met him yet but I will try to get to know the man you love because you don’t really give your heart to a man that easily Joohyun. I hope we can get closer before your marriage that’s why I kind of glad that he hasn’t propose to you yet.”

Seohyun heard the door was closed and knew that her mom has gone outside.

From upstairs she could heard the roaring laughter sound coming from downstairs. It’s a sign that her cousins were there and she can’t help but feel anxious because it feels like they are becoming serious now. She started to walk back and forth as she eyed the wall clock as she walked, hoping that it will finally be 8.30… it’s 8.29 now but Yonghwa is still nowhere to be heard. She had called him before but he hasn’t been answering. He said he was finishing a gold mine project so he can come over and bragged over at her family, yesterday..

‘Does she really look like she cares for the project more than his attendance?’ She thought to herself.

She was stopped from her reverie when she heard her phone rang. She picked it up in an instance and the moment she heard his husky voice her anxiousness melted away as well as her fear. Yes, it’s nothing. Nothing happen yet and Yonghwa is still the arrogant man in her life. It doesn’t matter.

“Where are you?”

“Right where I belong. Come outside, sweetheart.” He said cheerily.

Seohyun ran to her balcony and roamed her eyes throughout her front yard when she heard a whistling sound so she followed the source and saw a man with a bouquet of lilies in his hand.  “Look at the balcony.”

Yonghwa looked at the balcony when he saw Seohyun was standing there with a soft pink dress. He knew he was supposed to get used to it but he still gap. Maybe because of the moonlight shining on her under the darkness as the breeze softly blew causing her hair and dress to beauty to him with a never ending wave. He lets out a goofy smile seeing how her face beamed seeing him.

“Hi Yonghwa’s angel.” He said cheesily. “I’m ecstatic, for today.” He said, sounding a bit squeaky at the ‘the ecstatic part’… clearly he was feeling the other way round.

“Just be yourself and everything will be fine.”

“You mean my charming self? I think I left it at home.”

“What’s with you and white tonight?” Seohyun giggled and Yonghwa felt like he wanted to run and hug her there and then but he heard the army of men from Seo sides coming out to greet him.

“To be a princess boyfriend I need to become a white knight too.” He sends her a wink before waving at her and said.. “Let’s meet downstairs you tease!” He whispered at his phone before he slides to hang up the call.

***

Yonghwa followed the traditional dressed man from the back knowing that he was leading him to the dining hall just because he has been here before for her coming back ‘party’.

“This is the dining hall.” The man bowed politely as his right hand gestured to the grand door for him to get into but Yonghwa just stood there contemplating as he adjusted his grey blazer.

“Why aren’t you going in?” An older man asked him. It was Seohyun’s dad. “Come in.” Seohyun’s dad hung his arm on Yonghwa’s shoulder and ushered him inside where he was greeted with a traditional looking dining hall. With wood as it main theme and calligraphy quotes from the Joseon dynasty were hanging on the wall, together with a classical looking painting. He’s not an artist or art admirer but his eyes are trained enough to know and appreciate one when he sees such valuable historical items.

The people in attendance were many despite knowing how limited her number of family members. Apparently it was from her mother’s side whose were well known scholars at their own rights. Most of them were involved in some research and educational background. Professor and chancellor alike were gathered sitting on the long brown oak dining table.

Yonghwa had been to social gathering enough to know how to carry himself well but this is definitely the first time he had been so intimidated with the people he was supposed to mingle with. They looked so poised and graceful from a far that it feels like he was watching some of the historical dramas on the television.

If he used to talk about stocks, he wondered how he’s going to start talking about education system Korea has now. Yes, the only demerit Jung Yonghwa has was his educational background and this is where the Seo’s excels most. It seems like even his body was moving in an automatic mood as Seohyun’s father introduced him to her mother side of family since he had met all the people from his side. They greeted him warmly.. that’s the only thing he remembered since he entered the dining hall.

Thankfully, he managed to memorize each of her family tree members.

This was definitely a glaring difference between them.

But, he’s Jung Yonghwa for a reason. He’s cocky, over confident and that’s the only card he has now. What he’s going to do is be charming, dispel any sort of his inferiority complex and charm them with his words. He needs to do that for Seo Joohyun. She carried herself well when she met with his family, why can’t he? This might be his future family after all. There’s a saying. ‘When in Rome acts like Romans do.’ He’s going to apply it without any reluctance.

“Jung Yonghwa imnida. Uncle Oh Shi Yoon right?” Yonghwa flashed his million dollar smile.

“You know my name?”

“Of course, I should. You’re Seohyun’s beloved uncle.. You’re a really great calligrapher..”

“You know that? Well that’s pleasant. Young men these days, always depreciate a good ole art. I like you already. Let’s take a seat.” Yonghwa was hesitating to sit beside him since he was waiting for Seohyun to come in and maybe he was so obvious in conveying his hidden thoughts with his body language because Seo In Guk quickly stole him away from Seohyun’s uncle.

“Uncle. Yonghwa needs to sit beside me..” He insisted. “It’s hard to have a man around my age here. I got to thank Joohyun for this. Sorry uncle.”

“Phew. Thanks dude.” He wiped the beat of sweats on forehead and offered his hand for a handshake.

“Don’t thank me yet. You still need to get over a few family routines after this.” In Guk suddenly directed his gaze towards the new entrée in the dining hall. He never met this woman but the instinct in his entire body was telling him that it was her mother. Seo Joohyun’s mother. Among her closest family member, her mother was the only one he never met. It was said her mother was sort of elusive type of person. The way she strutted towards the dining table was really poised. It’s like an aura of calmness was radiating within her. No, it’s more like almost every person in the room was really calm and civilize. Full of modesty, and restrained laughing. It’s a striking contrast between his family and hers.

He somehow wondered.. what kind of fate was this? That got them falling so hard for each other amidst the startling difference in their upbringing.   

He was stopped from his thoughts when he felt a pecked on his left cheek. He grinned, knowing fully well who is the one planting the kiss.

“Oppa.”

The exact melodious voice that made his heart goes crazy.

“Joohyuy.” He smiled again, this time looking at her as she clings on his arm.

“Well, PDA much?” In Guk said grossly.

“This is not PDA.” Seohyun protested.

“You know what is PDA?”

“I have a teacher that told me regarding the short term for ‘Public Display of Affection’ but this is not one of it.” Seohyun said while Yonghwa gleefully pointed at himself, proud of his teachings.

“You’re a bad teacher. If those gooey eyes you guys are giving to each other were not one of the PDA I can’t imagine what the real PDA means to you guys.”

“I will get you a girlfriend, hyung.” Yonghwa winked slyly at the older guy when Seohyun greeted her aunt from her mother side coming in with a kid and a grown man.

“Annyeonghaeseyo.” The boy bowed politely putting his red cap behind as he paid his respect. “I’m Oh Jiyoung.”

“Jung Yonghwa. You can call me hyung.”

“Okay.” The kid smiled and Seohyun patted his head lightly telling him how a good boy he was. It might be weird but he swore he saw the kid lets out a devilish smirk.

He was seated not next to Seohyun. Apparently, it’s customary for unmarried people to not sit together if they are dating in ‘this’ family. Actually, it’s more of Ji Young the 12 year old kid stealing his girlfriend away with his boyish aegyo. Thankfully, he was seated next to the ‘now’ familiar Seo In Guk and uncle Shi Yoon.

After they have finally eaten only the talk starts to occur.

“So, Yonghwa.. tell us more about yourself.” The leader of the family, Seohyun’s grandfather said.

Naturally, his eyes seek for his refugee Seo Joohyun… the gorgeous, refined lady sitting opposite him at the end of the table next to her mother and Ji Young. Yes, no flirtatious wink for tonight Jung Yonghwa. She nodded slightly, encouraging him to speak like he always does.

“Be your charming self.” She always said to him.

He was about to open his mouth when he noticed how Ji Young glared at him. He laughed inwardly. He’s such a cute boy… though annoying for crushing on his girlfriend.

“Annyeonghaeseoyo, Jung Yonghwa imnida. For starters, I’m a businessman but you all know that so I will talk about a more personal side of mine that was kept as a secret for a long time. I’m afraid of bugs, I start reading books because of Seohyun sshi here, I like rock music and I like having a productive conversation.”

“So, Yonghwa hyung did you graduate from grandma university?”

“Jiyoung..” Seohyun looked at the little kid beside her.

“It’s okay. I didn’t graduate from any university.”

“Jiyoung!” Oh Jiyoung’s dad motioned for him to go outside. Looking at the humiliation his words has caused his mother and father Yonghwa felt bad for him knowing that he will get some beating.

“Don’t. You can do it later. Not now. It’s inappropriate. We have elders in here.” Oh Mi Young, Seohyun’s mother spoke calmly to her younger sister.

The kid suddenly burst into tears and mumbled a “sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude. I’m just curious.”

“Aigoo Jiyoung. You shouldn’t ask that kind of question. I will buy you an ice cream later?” Seohyun wiped his tears with the napkin.

“Aniyoo, I want to play in noona room later.”

“Okay.” She pinched Ji Young’s cheek and called him silly but he seriously wanted to be on that kid place right now.

“So, you don’t think education is important?” Seohyun’s dad asked him with a smile.

“I do think it’s important but education can come in many form. Nowadays, youngsters lack what we called practicality. I might want to add that experience is a really good educator. Especially, since I was exposed to business dealings and social communications since a very young age. It sharpened the way I think.” Yonghwa said all of it in one breath but they are all were very silent after his explanation so he took a glance at Joohyun and she was smiling at him.

That he knew, he has done a good job in impressing them but he might add that he saw a flicker of amused smile coming from her mother too.

***

He never felt like a sore loser like he was feeling right now. He was playing a game of scrabbles with Seohyun’s grandmother, Oh Jiyoung and uncle Ji Young.

They were throwing words such as…

Epistaxis

Cerumen

Eschar

Inimical

Fetid

While he was throwing words such as…

Princess..

He felt dumb.. he never felt dumb even with his lack of educational background but when he was in a room with a hospital director, a kid whizz and a history lover.. well that’s when you start feeling like one.

“Are you calling me?” Seohyun nudged the tense and serious Jung Yonghwa trying to form a word with the letters given to him.

“Huh?”

“You spelled princess there.”

Yonghwa blushed fervently with her direct teasing in front of her family members. He felt like hiding under a rock since he felt like they were giving him ‘that look’.. That look that says… so that’s the nickname you gave to Joohyun.

“Oh.. I can form this.” Yonghwa put the letter. K..I..S..S.

“Kiss!” He exclaimed when Ji Young laughed at him like he just made the funniest joke that night.

“So that’s what you thinking now that Joohyun’s beside you.” In Guk said and the couple felt like squirming in yet another embarrassment.

“Aha! How about you kissed him Joohyun.” Uncle Shi Yoon made a remark that made he felt like fleeting away from the scene but then he heard the most shocking word that night.

“Okay.” Seohyun said nonchalantly and he looked at her.. his eyes bulging out. She just shrugged and kissed his right cheek before whispering.. “I got a feeling that you’re thinking of something else.” She withdrew and shook her head in disbelief.

The kid groaned in annoyance at the kiss.

Can this embarrassment grow any worse than this? Because this family is such a troll.

“I think I should team up with Yonghwa oppa. You guys are bullying him..” She whined, pouting.

Oh gosh.. her natural aegyo.

Someone just killed him right now and just like that, his prayer was answered. Seohyun’s mother came in and asked for a personal talk with Yonghwa after the game is done.

 

Author's Note

Long chapter, unchecked, unedited and weird ending. lol. I will go through the chapter around two more days. So forgive the flaws for the meantime. Do leave some feedbacks.. :D