Stranger 23 : Trump Card

Arrogant Stranger

Stranger 23 : Trump Card

Warning : Might be a lot to digest, read only when you're free.

Previously:

Suddenly, Seohyun felt Yonghwa brushing his thumb on her bare shoulders. It's sending her feeling that she's not sure whether she's liking it or not. It felt like an electric to her cells. “Just so you know Seo Joohyun, I made a promise to never let you go until you say that word.”

"What if i say i don't think i could ever let you go, oppa?"

Her words were hanging in the air... hanging for it to be answered. He can felt that her eyes were pleading him for answer as her beautiful iris compelled him only to fall in love with her more so than ever. "It's gonna be okay, Joohyun. It's gonna be."

Just like that, the image of her standing like the girl name 'Yeon Woo' hit him. He would have say to her to never let the history define what they have but the worriedness of his grandfather vague actions are preventing him from doing so.

"No, it just a stupid history Seo Joohyun. We have so much more real stuff to worry about." Yonghwa said, sounding determined.

***

Yonghwa parked at the side of the road in order to watch the big screen on the city building. She looks stunning in that interview. What a pity he can’t be a devoted boyfriend and go there to give her roses and pamper her for a job well done. After that particular revealing information, he is being extra cautious about the advances he made and he’s investigating back suspicious business activities with the abnormality rate exchange of stock occurring. It seems someone from outside is trying to get inside of his business.

He sighed, before shaking his head and proceeded to snap a picture of her using his iphone to send it to her as a proof that he’s indeed watching it.

“Do you think it’s possible to love someone in just one second?”

“Oh that cheesy one second theory?” She laughed. “Definitely.”

 “Why?”

“Why? Can’t I say I just believe it?” She giggled.

“Well writer usually have their own reasons for their own beliefs.”

“For me, it can happen at the moment when you feel a soulful connection with it.”

“I’ve heard you are using different approaches to write lately.”

“I think spontaneity is helping me to write more nowadays.. Feel it and live at the moment you know. The host just smiled knowingly. “I’ve got to say, you’ve changed a lot since I last met you. You seemed like a total hopeless romantic Seohyun sshi far from the perception you gave me before.”

“I think it’s more of the reason that you already heard the ‘news’ rather than me changing.” She teased the host back.

“See, you can joke in front of the television too now.” The host clapped like a proud mother.

“I can’t joke before?” She faked a gasped before laughing out loud with the host.

“No, but you seem like you plan everything out and I’ve got to say it’s hard to do an interview with you. You are rather exclusive person, I must say.”

“True, no lies detected. I’m like that. Not because I don’t feel like sharing because I do, but I believe we need to remain mysterious in a way. I want people to focus on my book rather than my life.”

“But your life is a spectacle Seohyun sshi.”

“Fine, I’m guilty of that too. I will try to appear on television more.” She laughed. “I can’t talk myself out of this.”

“You admit to mistakes too. How wonderful?”

“Need to admit to mistake then only you can improve.” She curved into a slight smile.

Seohyun shook the female host hand, gladly… before posing for a few pictures with her for promotional purpose when a staff from her publishing company approached her.

“Mr Yonghwa said he can’t come today and to cancel the date.”

“Oh really, did something happen?”

“He went to see his grandfather.”

“Oh, okay then.” Seohyun nodded slightly before grabbing the pen on the staff hand to give out a few signatures for her previous book.

***

Yonghwa looked at the glimmering gem shining upon him.

“What is this?”

“Your engagement ring with Seohyun. Marry her by end of the next month.”

“Harabeoji, i hope you won’t interfere what I have with Joohyun right now.”

“You don’t understand. The Seo is climbing up the ranks and they might as well become the richest family in Korea soon. She’s the only girl from the family Yonghwa.”

“Is it the only reason? From what I know the Jung’s is just fine on our own. Why Seo Joohyun? Why not Kim Hee Mi? She’s the richest heiress right?”

“Don’t ask me. It’s your choice. You pick her. She picks you.”

“Is it, or have you planned it all along grandpa?”

Jung Won Do curved into an amusing smile, his hands were clasped together… as his eyes showed a glint of excitement at his grandson question.

“Interesting.”

“Why don’t you answer me?” Yonghwa clenched his teeth.

“Why should I? Maybe I should if you be a good boy and follow my plans.” Jung Won Do drummed his fingers on the table as if teasing Yonghwa’s anger to explode. “Don’t act like you dare to abandon your family Yonghwa yaa, because I know you. You will never do that. It’s time for you to play your role don’t you think? Or harm shall befall the empire that you’ve build. Be like this chess and move according to my needs” Jung Won Do lifted his knight and waved it to the air.

“Why can’t I know your grand plan?”

“Because people will mess up my plan by knowing it with unnecessary whining. You will know when you need to know. This is why I said you can’t never beat me Yonghwa. You’re too gullible. Marry Seohyun as soon as you can or she will leave you, herself. I might help her in doing so too. I can’t take lengthy deal.”

Yonghwa squeezed his eyes shut, bowed down to his elder before rushing out in anger for knowing that his grandfather meant what he’s saying. He’s threatening him.

He needs to go back to the office.

What kind of card his grandfather is holding onto?

***

Seohyun was sitting alone on a bench at the flower garden, she was staring onto the red sky.

Yonghwa tried to reach her, but when he was about to.. she moved away. He screamed.. but she was walking too fast, almost as she was floating away so he screamed. She looked at her back, watching him. She sighed and looked back in front as if he never existed.

When he finally reached her, he touched her… but his hand was penetrating her body. He frowned and panicked so he kept talking to her but she was still staring and walking. He kept screaming for her to look at him… but it was like she was a pixle… fading away in pieces.

He woke up, sweating. The picture of Seohyun and him hugging was greeting him… He took a look on his watch. It’s only been 20 minutes since he slept.

Yonghwa was a total mess. His eyes were red, his red tie was gone by now and her upper button was loosen. The papers were lying around on the table. He can’t figure what his grandfather was up for and it’s killing him inside.

His insomniac self has been coming forth.

He gathered the fallen pills on the table and swallowed it in one go. He slept the night away… nobody really dare to interfere him because he has been doing his duty flawlessly despite being a paranoia and utterly more meticulous than before. Some even wonder of his current relationship status because nobody saw a hint of Seohyun in his life anymore aside from the pictures. No text, no sweet gestures… He looks extremely trouble above all. Nobody really sees his weak side, but that’s because he’s been locking himself in his office room, not even his secretary was allowed in. There’s a lot of speculation, a lot of anxiousness arise.

Usually it’s only Jonghyun, his friends… Minhyuk and Jungshin or Yoo Hee aunty will be able to access in but since he sent Jonghyun away and the others have other engagement for the past three days, he has secretly been getting worse but that day, he feels better. Just because Jonghyun has finally getting a track on the secret activities that his grandfather has on his hand.

So he cleaned himself up…

When it’s working time, his office looks normal again. It’s spotless only because he has been doing the cleaning in the middle of morning. For today, he decided to go back and get some of his things… the moment he stepped outside, his assistant rose to her feet.

“What day is it today?”

“It’s Wednesday.”

“Wait? Wednesday?”

“Yes, sir.”

“She should be back by now.” He mumbled and walked over to his car. His head felt heavy as if something was wrong.. she should be back… she should be back.

What is it?

***

It’s been weeks since the last time Seohyun and Yonghwa spend some proper time together. With her getting back from her recent trip to Italy, Yonghwa has promised her to pick her up at the airport. She misses him so much. They don’t even have any exchange of calls or texts despite the distance. He was busy and understandably so. She was busy in her international author conference.

She tapped her feet anxiously, her eyes never leaving her watch.

She momentarily looked away from it, gazing at the gliding sunset and decided she has enough.

Why wasn’t she there was what he wondered. He waited with the netbook on his lap, typing on some proposals before ringing her up for a couple times, but it was left unanswered. Then only he realized he had gotten the date wrong…

It was even worse than the fact, that he had forgotten the promise he made her.

He went back home. Pressing the button and automatically the empty home light up. A figure was sitting on his white leather couch. Her eyes were swollen.

“Joohyun?” He slightly ran to greet her… worried about her wellbeing.

“Where were you?” She asked.

“I’m waiting for you.” He kneeled down, his hand was reaching out for hers.

“No, you’re not. Where were you?” She lets his hand grabbed her, she has lost her energy to even response.

“I’ve been waiting for you at the airport today.”

“I’m back yesterday, not today oppa.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” Yonghwa laid his head on Seohyun’s lap. She was supposed to be mad, she knew that but her gaze soften seeing how weak this mighty man was being in front of her. Bumping his head on her lap, begging for forgiveness like a puppy. “I’m so sorry…”

“Have you eaten?” Seohyun combed, his hair with her slender fingers. He shook his head softly on her lap.

“Should I heat the food that I bring here for you?”

“Aren’t you jet lagged?”

“It’s fine, you look more terrible than I do.”

“Do you cry before?”

“A bit.”

Yonghwa lifted his head up, gazing the woman face that was inches above him. The light who he has been needing for days.

“You shouldn’t do this to me..” She said softly. “You don’t know how worried I am. I think I’m becoming a stalker asking Jonghyun to check on you for me… and he’s not even here how can I become rest assure that you’re fine. I get it, you’re busy… you have no obligations to inform me..”

“What are you saying?” Yonghwa said incredulously. “You have every right to do so..”

“Let me finish, oppa.” Seohyun cupped his cheeks. “I don’t think you’re doing fine at all, even your friends are worried. Somehow I think you purposely send Jonghyun away. Talk to me, oppa.”

“I’m just worried. I can’t read my grandfather’s mind… it’s making me restless. He’s up to something… I’m sure of it.”

Seohyun heaved a deep sigh. “From what I see, he’s turning you into this ball of mess to gain the advantage. As long as he doesn’t make any move to actually harm you, you’ve got nothing to worry about. Play your card, be closed with him… dig around for his weakness too. Show him that you’re strengthening your shield but hide away your weapon. Attack when he strikes. But remember, he’s your paternal grandpa. You love him. Okay.” Seohyun tapped his cheeks, before trying to stand up.

“Seohyun.” He looked longingly at her.

“Ne.”

“I miss you.”

“Me too, oppa.”

“Seohyun.. I’m sorry.”

“Enough of that, or I will get really mad.”

“I shouldn’t have leave you alone. I’m sorry for forgetting.”

“See, how it’s affecting you Jung Yonghwa? There arent even any problem but you're making one... he's turning you into this. Get your act together.”

“I know…”

“Good.”

“And Joohyun.”

“Ne?” Seohyun answered him back, not facing him and instead focusing on opening the tupperware... smelling the food whether it can still be eaten or not.

“I miss your lips.” Yonghwa sneaked from behind her and planted a kiss on her lips.  

“But I’ve got to go, after eating this meal.”

“Me too.” She said, slightly giggling… feeling ticklish with how Yonghwa got his arms wrapped on her waist.

“Waeyo, so soon?”

“I went back earlier to fit your schedule but it seems that you....”

Yonghwa pouted. “So it’s my fault.”

“I don't even say that but yes.”

“I will make it up for you.”

“You sure?”

“Very.” Yonghwa showered her with kisses on the side of her temple.

“Not this way, oppa. You’re distracting… go and shower.” Seohyun slapped Yonghwa naughty lips away.

“Ara…” He whined, before turning to walk away to the toilet. Seohyun looked at him… it seems like he was calling someone.

“Harabeoji.. Let’s meet.”

She stared at him.. she was feeling off.

Like something she’s not going to like is about to happen.

Seohyun started to space out.. Just like that, she sees a blurry image of a little girl looking at her, gripping her heart.

Chest pain…

She felt like her heart is being away from her…

 

 

Author's Note

Edit note : Sorry for the inconvenience. I only noticed the choppy scene jumps at the end. Since i've written the rough draft i only elaborate it yesterday and i haven't checked it back. So there's some incomplete scene at the end so i end up erasing it. I might change it for the next chapter and might not use the same one.