Stranger 22 : Revelations

Arrogant Stranger

Stranger 22 : Revelations

BGM : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNxqtsIxps

Advice : Do read it properly because this chapter contains a lot of information compared to the rest.

 

Previously :

He felt dumb.. he never felt dumb even with his lack of educational background but when he was in a room with a hospital director, a kid whizz and a history lover.. well that’s when you start feeling like one.

“Are you calling me?” Seohyun nudged the tense and serious Jung Yonghwa trying to form a word with the letters given to him.

“Huh?”

“You spelled princess there.”

Yonghwa blushed fervently with her direct teasing in front of her family members. He felt like hiding under a rock since he felt like they were giving him ‘that look’.. That look that says… so that’s the nickname you gave to Joohyun.

“Oh.. I can form this.” Yonghwa put the letter. K..I..S..S.

“Kiss!” He exclaimed when Ji Young laughed at him like he just made the funniest joke that night.

“So that’s what you thinking now that Joohyun’s beside you.” In Guk said and the couple felt like squirming in yet another embarrassment.

“Aha! How about you kissed him Joohyun.” Seohyun’s grandmother made a remark that made he felt like fleeting away from the scene but then he heard the most shocking word that night.

“Okay.” Seohyun said nonchalantly and he looked at her.. his eyes bulging out. She just shrugged and kissed his right cheek before whispering.. “I got a feeling that you’re thinking of something else.” She withdrew and shook her head in disbelief.

The kid groaned in annoyance at the kiss.

Can this embarrassment grow any worse than this? Because this family is such a troll.

“I think I should team up with Yonghwa oppa. You guys are bullying him..” She whined, pouting.

Oh gosh.. her natural aegyo.

Someone just killed him right now and just like that, his prayer was answered. Seohyun’s mother came in and asked for a personal talk with Yonghwa when the game is done.

***

“We won the scrabble game, oppa. Can you at least cheer up?” Seohyun stated at the pale face Jung Yonghwa standing next to her.

“Yeah.” He muttered, almost lifelessly. Seohyun became more worried as she saw how he was staring at the grand staircase, so she took his limp hand and intertwined their fingers together. Yonghwa spared her a look, line of wrinkles were decorating his forehead.

This kind of sight was only hers to be seen. Nobody… nobody should ever see this sight of him.

Freaking out… Scared.

“It will be okay, oppa.”

He tightened the grip on their hand and ascended the stairs, Seohyun by his side.

Once they reached the grand door, he opened it… revealing her mother. The air of gracefulness that she emitted was a force to be reckoned with. It’s even more palpable than Seohyun’s.

Oh Young Mi sat on the couch with her legs crossed anticipating the man she was waiting to talk with. Her eyes were prying into the hand that was holding her daughter’s hand. She nodded lightly for him to seat on the opposite couch in front of her.

Yonghwa released Seohyun’s hand. She felt as if his hand was slipping away from hers… as if his warmth was slipping and when the feeling reaches at the tips of her fingers, she panicked and grabbed it. Her reflexes were screaming not to let it go... Not to let him go. Fear was evident on her face. Fear of him discovering the secret that she herself, trying to figure out.

“It’s not like I’m going to war.” He said.

“But you look so scared before.”

“Before… but then you walk with me right? I’m fine now.”

“Why are you so scared? I’ve never seen you as scared as you did today.”

 “Because I don’t want to lose you silly.” He tapped her nose lightly. “Your parents… are respectable people. I want them to love me as much as you did. I know they are great people to raise such a wonderful girl.”

Their conversation was interrupted by the figure inside the room. “Seohyun, don’t you have your elders to entertain?” Oh Young Mi said it out loud while her hand was gesturing, Yonghwa to sit down.

“I will, omma.” She said obediently.

“If you may, could you close the door?” Oh Young Mi took a long last look at her daughter. She curved into a tight lip smile as she saw how Yonghwa brushes his thumb on her yearning daughter cheeks. Though, it was kept short… she felt like they both know what they are getting into.

Love wasn’t going to be easy on them.

“It would be fine.” He said. “I’m not a man that will back off just when somebody asked me to do so. Not when it involves you… Not when it involves something precious in my life.”

She nodded and took a step back, observing his firm back fades away. She bowed to her mother and closed the door. Her mother as she knows her, won’t be liking any unnecessary conversation and get straight to the point. Her mom was someone rational. She admired her for that and she’s going to let him be because she must have trust on him for it to work.. for them to work.

Seohyun descended the stairs, her hands are trailing the wooden barrier carved elegantly when Ji Young ran over to hug her. She forced a small smile at the little Ji Young as she opened her arms widely to wrap Ji Young into a warm big hug.

“Uri Jiyoungieeee~ What do you want?”

“Can I read your book?”

“What? You can understand it?”

“Definitely. I will give you my critiques later on.”

“Haha. Of course you could. Anything for Jiyoung.”

“But don’t tell it to my parents.”

“Waeyo?”

“Because they think I’m still a kid and I should only read bed time stories with fairies and stuff. It’s not manly.”

“Of course it’s not manly. You’re still a boy.” Seohyun flicked his forehead. “Behave like a kid would you? Or else you would be growing reversely.”

“With this big brain of mine. No need.” He gloated, as he cupped his waist with both of his hand.

Seohyun lets out a defeated sigh seeing how the kid was trying to gain her favor by doing an aegyo with his cute small face. “Go over to my room and take the book.” She pointed at the upper floor.

“Oh yeah!” He jumped in joy before running off upstairs.

She was searching for the house phone when her eyes landed on her father who was flipping the pages of newspaper. He pushed his small reading glass slightly above the bridge of his nose.

Seohyun knew that her dad was not giving his approval for her relationship with Yonghwa. Most of them aren’t but they are trying to and that’s the main reason why her mom reacted quite fast to this whirlwind of news when her mother being her, should have taken a more thorough investigation like she always does to confirm her judgment. She always react first before anybody takes any action because as warm her father looks, he for one will take any actions needed if any harm shall befall his family.

If anybody has taken a look on his father deceitful face… especially in court they would know what she meant.

Her mother is just trying to stop things from escalating much further than it was supposed to be.

She needed to figure it out. Maybe she will find things out if she asked…

“Joohyun. Come sit here.” Her father pats over the empty spot of the comfortable couch.

Seohyun can't help but look at her father confusingly as she sat next to him. He hung his arm on her shoulder. “I need to tell you this. It’s your family history after all.”

Seohyun face turned into a gloomy like state. She knew what was coming… she knew very well why her father wanted to tell her this kind of history that can only be found in the archive.

“Jung household used to be servants for our family back in the days, to be more specific bodyguards. They were loyal to us more so than their loyalty to the Great Joseon itself. One day, the only Jung left went away to serve as the great Joseon soldier. He was known for his great virtue that he later are rank one of the soldiers that brought Joseon to its glory.”

“Really? I didn’t know the Jung has a great legacy dad? I thought they were a total unknown before and Yonghwa’s grandfather is the one who brought glory to the family.”

“That is because his name was erased from the history.”

Seohyun frowned.

“That’s why I didn’t just give away the history book to you and let you read it yourself. The book containing his name was burnt down with flames. Nobody dare to speak of Dalhyang name.”

“Why?”

“Because, he fell in love with the soon to be bride of Joseon king which was our ancestor Seo Yeon Woo. He went away and served the army to be worthy of our status as the scholars and renown clan at that time despite our insistent that he is as great as Yeon Woo suitors could get. But you know how the way society stand during those days. You must come from respectable family in order to marry another one. When he went away, the prince saw Yeon Woo and began courting her despite her giving him the cold shoulders. He had made it clear Yeon Woo was his to has and nobody should ever have her.. Right after he discovered it was Dalhyang’s doing. They exile him to Jeju, burnt the history books and let the most renowned shaman in Joseon to curse the ties between both of our family."

Seohyun lifted her head that she has rested on her father shoulder and looked at her father's face.

"Is this true?"

"True as it gets."

***

“You seem like a pleasant young lad. I get why she likes you… but you know. Look can also be deceitful.” She smiled.

He must say, he was thoroughly impressed with how Seohyun’s mother seemed to be taking control of the situation. Even her smile seems like it was exuding 100 different reasons for it.

“I get where she gets her porcelain skin from too.” Yonghwa said, sounding amused.

“My oh my. You remind me of Joohyun’s father when he was younger. I guess she does take after me. We have a thing for cheesy and funny man.” She laughed.

“I’m sorry ommonim. I don’t really know how to interpret the conversation flow we have now. From what I aware of you are not that fond of me.”

“Not liking you for my daughter yes. But I’m willing to know you more to pass any judgment. It’s your family that I’m skeptical of dear.” The smile that was decorating her face was gone by a second of the mentioning of her family.

“Jung household you see has been interconnected with Joohyun’s father family. As you may already know, your father used to be a good friend of my husband. But our origin and yours has been related far..far back. And that’s why I don’t think you guys should be together. You must be thinking how ridiculous for us to be thinking this way… relating old facts with the present. Every time we ignored it, something bad has happened and it doesn’t work out just between us two. That’s why it’s better if we live according to our own path. Both of our family has been cursed by our ancestors in a way. Frankly, ours said only harm shall befall our descendants if we associate with you… I’m sure the Jung has their own share of myths.. I’m not sure about them though. It would be better if you ask your family members instead.”

“I’m sorry but if you say we are cursed not to be together than why is it my cousin and Seohyun has been great friends with each other since they were kids?”

“Yonghwa, it’s not friends relations the one we are concern about. It’s love that we are afraid of. It was said that it will bring both family great prosper or great harm if two persons should unite between our family. We enjoy moderation Yonghwa, nothing with great appeal to us and if there’s option with harm in it.. we will be quick enough to reject it. For starters, it’s not you or the history we are mainly concern about. It’s your grandfather. He has enough standing as it’s to not need to be married into our family. Just because Seohyun’s background has been kept in a secret and that our family uphold a great reputation in Korea … he wanted her to be his granddaughter bring us doubt Yonghwa. Because, he went digging around for information regarding us… is what we know off. I’m pretty sure he has already known about Seohyun’s weak heart. Nobody in their right mind in pursuing greater purpose will accept a girl with disease into their family.”

Yonghwa felt like his mind was processing something heavy. So this was the reason for her mother cold reception towards him.

“I can’t leave her.” He stated. “I promise her that I won’t leave her until she leaves me. I’m sure she won’t since she’s stubborn.”

“I understand but I’m telling you this, beforehand. Seohyun’s father has been emphasizing this over and over again each night we went into bed together. If there’s a single thing gone wrong, he won’t sit by idly.. he will go over and pull her off from the relationship herself. Don’t take his word for granted. Don’t take his words that he said once to you… easily despite his warm nature. He can be as scary as your grandfather when he sets his mind on it. There’s where Seohyun’s get her stubbornness from.”

“I understand ommonim. It’s never my intention to hurt her but I will try my best not to but you must remember I’m not a perfect person but I’m willing to learn. Feel free to always be direct with me.”

“Please do ponder regarding this matter.”

“I will.”

“Please also check out your grandfather intention for choosing Seohyun’s as the best bride for your cousin previously.”

“I have that kind of intentions, ommonim. Please don’t worry.”

“Nevertheless, welcome to the family Jung Yonghwa.” Seohyun’s mother stood up and spread her arm. He who was shocked with her gesture went reluctantly to return the hug, it was warm…. It felt such a long time since he felt a mother like hug. A mother like hug that will ask him regarding his well being… concern about his way of living… praising him about his achievement. He misses his mother more now. “Please do treat me like I’m your mother though I’m more of the serious type.” She joked.

For the rarest time, he felt welcome in this family.

***

“Welcome to the family of brain freak. I pray the best for your healthy brain.” Seohyun’s grandfather who only managed to drop by later due to his previous engagement raised his glass to the man standing beside his granddaughter.

“For Jung Yonghwa!”

Clacking of glasses were heard.. aside from the fuming Ji Young of course who as usual busy hoarding Joohyun’s love.

He was still very much amused on how open minded and listening her family has been towards his goals and ventures much different than their appearance that as if saying nothing else matters except for good education even admitting the point where education doesn’t necessarily bring you success. Such a mind enhancer conversation and a good nature one he’s having with them right now but then Seohyun’s still nowhere to be seen and frankly it’s worrying him. Somehow his eyes caught Seohyun’s mother sneaking in from the crowd to find her husband… whispering something on her husband’s ear as he nodded during the exchanging session. Truthfully, he was curious whether it was their previous conversations were the one being discussed between those two.

He deviate his attention and found Seo In Guk instead.

“Where’s Joohyun.”

“She’s been very weird, standing on the stairs observing the frame painting.”

“Painting?”

“The sakura painting…. She looks quite sorrowful while looking at it which was weird in a way.”

He went to the grand staircase and notice how intense Seohyun was looking at the intersection of both staircase where the painting was located at. Her backview was very much still enchanting to his eyes and it does not take a second for him to cover his willingness to wrap his firm arms on her waist.

“Seo Joohyun.”

“Hmm?”

He lets go of her waist and stood beside her instead.

“What are you thinking about?”

“I’m thinking about how hauntingly beautiful this painting are.”

Yonghwa eyes went and observed the exquisite piece of painting. It was a back view of a woman staring into the horizon beside the sakura tree as the wind softly blew her hair and her hanbok. It seems like it has a longing feeling on it. “Why? Because it’s expensive?” Yonghwa laughed cheekily not to the amusement of the flaring Joohyun though.

“I’m serious!”

“Okay.. okay. I’m just trying to lighten the atmosphere.” Yonghwa pinched her flaring nose, relenting to his urge of calming down her cuteness.

“Oppa! It hurts…” Seohyun slapped her hand repeatedly to get it off her nose.

“Jasshik, I’m just marking my territory. Your nose is mine to hold.” He said proudly.

“Nose ert!” She folded her arms on her chest.

“ert for you, angel.” He bumped their shoulders together. “I’ve been thinking, I want our kids nose to be like you. It’s cute." This time he nudged her shoulder repeatedly until she replied him back.

“Kids? Why are you suddenly bringing up kids?”

“No man in their right mind won’t be thinking of marrying you and having beautiful babies of theirs with you silly. Anyways, what’s with this painting?”

Seohyun unfolded the arms on her chest as she gazed softly on the painting. “Apparently it’s the back view of my ancestor. Seo Yeon Woo.”

“I got to say, I got an eerie feeling that it somehow resembles your back and it sort of left a pang on my heart. It got me thinking will you be like that if…”

“Something happen to you? Something happen to us? Tell me, oppa… did omma tell you about our family history.”

“She did. Do you know this beforehand Joohyun?”

“No. My father just told me.”

Suddenly, Seohyun felt Yonghwa brushing his thumb on her bare shoulders. It's sending her feeling that she's not sure whether she's liking it or not. It felt like an electric to her cells. “Just so you know Seo Joohyun, I made a promise to never let you go until you say that word.”

"What if i say i don't think i could ever let you go, oppa?"

Her words were hanging in the air... hanging for it to be answered. He can felt that her eyes were pleading him for answer as her beautiful iris compeled him only to fall in love with her more so than ever. "It's gonna be okay, Joohyun. It's gonna be."

Just like that, the image of her standing like the girl name 'Yeon Woo' hit him. He would have say to her to never let the history define what they have but the worriedness of his grandfather vague actions are preventing him from doing so.

"No, it just a stupid history Seo Joohyun. We have so much more real stuff to worry about." Yonghwa said, sounding determined.

 

Author’s Note

Finally, I managed to update this. *wiping my sweat* Do leave some thoughts about this chapter.