Stranger 24 : The Fallout

Arrogant Stranger

Stranger 24 : The Fallout

Warning : Heavy due to lots of explaining and detail information about the conflict. Read when you’re free

 

“Not this way, oppa. You’re distracting… go and shower.” Seohyun slapped Yonghwa naughty lips away.

“Ara…” He whined, before turning to walk away to the toilet. Seohyun looked at him… it seems like he was calling someone.

“Harabeoji.. Let’s meet.”

She stared at him.. she was feeling off.

Like something she’s not going to like is about to happen.

Seohyun started to space out.. Just like that, she sees a blurry image of a little girl looking at her, gripping her heart.

Chest pain…

She felt like her heart is being away from her…

***

She can’t feel her heart, it felt numb. It’s not exactly hurting but it’s like even the blood stopped circulating.

What is this?

And then the feeling stop.

She still stood there, her hands on the counter supporting her limp body. What just happened?

She was so engrossed in thinking that she doesn’t notice how Yonghwa was peeking from the other room.

“Hey, Seohyun are you listening?”

“Uhmm.. huh.” Seohyun turned to him, looking dazed. Her face was pale.

“Seo Joohyun? Are you okay?” He slightly ran to her.

“I’m not really sure. Continue what you’re saying just now.”

“No. What happened when I was gone just now?”

“I felt numb? Like a bit dizzying…”

“Does it hurt?”

“Not really. I don’t feel a thing.”

Yonghwa proceeded to pinch her flesh.

“Ouchh.. Oppa.”

“So you feel something now?”

“I said before not now.” Seohyun looked at him in disbelief.

“Oh really?”

“Oppa. You should never become a doctor. You’re a terrible one. You’re spacing out when I’m talking.” Seohyun slapped his arms annoyed. “Now, you better start talking. What happened?”

 “I’m just saying about my grandfather wanted me to officially become a Jung heir so I need to step out for a while. Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

“Yeah. I will call my halmeoni.”

“I think I should stay here with you instead.”

“Jung Yonghwa. I don’t like feeling like I’m your burden. You should go.”

“You’re not fine.” He muttered, his thumb grazing her sweat dripping on her forehead.

“I’m a major in medicine. What wouldn’t I know?” Seohyun curved a tired looking smile, feeling that her energy being drained out from the numbness that she felt earlier.

“I’m going, but I’m going to check on you later. Hold your phone.” He bent over to kiss her lips.

He already in front of the door but he kept looking back, with lingering glances and Seohyun will reply with a nod every single time.

“I will send Jonghyun over.” His tone was definite and it was a rare sight from him lately since he has always been considerate and willing to reason with her. Not this time though. It reminded her of the Jung Yonghwa that she met when they were strangers. The charismatic stranger.

She nodded, hoping that it will settle him down despite the waves of confusion hitting her mind with the sudden occurrence.

***

“Can I meet with Director Seo?”

“I’m sorry but do you have any appointment with her?”

“No…”

“Then, I’m sorry you can’t meet up with her unless you have one.”

“I’m having an emergency.”

“What kind?”

“It’s a confidential thing.”

“I can’t help you miss but I can recommend some doctors here for you.”

“Nevermind then. I’m guessing she’s having a surgery right now. I’m her patient. You can check my name there Seo Joohyun. I will be seating first.” Seohyun bowed politely leaving the nurse slightly baffled at her demeanor.

“So why is a lady like you sitting here alone?” A man with brown hair approached her and it took her a while to figure out the familiarity on his tone.

“Oh.” Seohyun exclaimed. “Annyeonghaeseyo Kyuhyun sunbaenim. What are you doing here?”

“Your grandmother is recruiting to lead some research team for cardiology here.”

“Research team?”

He nodded slightly. “I need to catch up with my rest. You know jet lagged and all. I hope I’ll see you around more. Not that I mean here. I want to see you outside of the hospital. I need to go now/” He pats her head, before making his way out of her sight.

“And Seohyun..” He slightly turned to look at her. “Be well. I don’t really like seeing you around in hospital.”

When her sunbaenim backview was finally gone, Seohyun tried calling Yonghwa to tell him she already arrived in hospital but she ended up being in voicemail instead. It’s been worrying her… Yonghwa actually felt more distant than he ever been. Harder to contact and so forth. They have been having rare conversations with each other and she feared that it will magnify into something else.

“Joohyun, what are you doing here?” Seohyun’s grandmother stopped when she saw her granddaughter fiddling with her phone at the open seating space.

“I’m waiting for you halmeoni.”

The older woman frowned, eyeing the nurse taking care of the counter… before approaching her/

“You must be new. She’s my granddaughter, next time you should allow her to go straight to my room. She will never come here unless she’s sick.”

The nurse bowed apologetically.

“Aniyo.. it’s fine halmeoni.”

“I’m sorry ahgasshi.”

Seohyun stood up, bowed back. “You’re just doing your job. It’s not your fault. Halmeoni, let’s go to your office and talk.”

Once the door was closed, Seohyun tried to reason with her halmeoni. “Do you have to be that harsh to her.”

“One mistake can lead to another, I’m making sure no other mistakes are being made. So, what’s my most favourite granddaughter doing here?”

“I’ve been having this weird symptoms lately, and I can’t really figure it out.”

“Like?”

“Just now, I felt like I’m seeing a girl.. clenching her heart. It’s an awful reminder of the past. The numbness start with my heart then it happens to my entire body.”

“Seohyun, have you been having the same nightmare with the same imagery like you did just now.”

“Ne.”

Her grandmother brought their hands together. “I’ve been suspecting these for ages… but I haven’t yet confirmed because you never showed any sign. I don’t think you have problem solely on your heart Joohyun. The nerves are sending and rejecting your heart once in a while… and sometimes it leads to numbness. The cause is still unknown. But we have been suspecting several causes.”

Seohyun grew pale… at that moment all she wanted was Yonghwa to be next to her. She regretted for even thinking that it’s going to be fine and insisted on him continuing with his engagement. Because she needed somebody to hold onto. As expected, hospital visit was never fond of her.

That’s why she doesn’t want to pursue this path of career. She had taken the liberty to learn and major in the following course just because she wanted to be rest assured if anything bad shall happen to her or anyone closest to her. She can protect them and herself.

She really didn’t like the smell of the hospital.

Her halmeoni proceeded to hug her tense granddaughter. “From the information they dug out it’s highly likely that this is just side effects and is not deathly. Aegi, it will be fine. I will make everything be fine. I even recruited one of the most well known cardiologist to help you out.”

“Kyuhyun sunbae?”

“Ne.”

“I don’t think it’s wise to prescribe you with anything, honey.. but this is to treat illusions. Sometimes having one, might lead to self injury. So it’s best if you taken this daily because the signs might magnify.”

“Ahrasso..” 

“How are you going back?”

“Yoona said she is waiting for me right now. I’m going to be fine.”

Kyuhyun who noticed how calm Seohyun is about everything when she left the room went to approach the director. “Is the sign starting?” The director slightly nodded.

“I was hoping it won’t.”

“As you know, I won’t be participating directly in treating her because I can’t be objective even when I break the news to her… I feel like crying to the sky. Why Joohyun? Why Joohyun from all people?” The director closed her eyes, feeling like her composure was breaking.

“We don’t know if it’s deadly yet. It might be just that symptoms will occur repeatedly.. but there’s a very high possibility it’s not deadly. We need to go to the same island she went when she was a kid to study the fruit that might be the cause for her sickness. It’s just worrying that we have never experienced such thing yet. Will you be okay director?”

“If my granddaughter is that strong, I can’t be here weeping right? I still have patients to attend to.”

***

Seohyun tried to call Yonghwa again… it still went to the voicemail. “Unnie, do you think anything happen to him?”

Yoona sighed… and held the maknae chin for her to look at the LCD screen at the hospital lobby. The big screen was showing Yonghwa standing next to his grandfather and next to Jung Ill Woo.

“He’s my grandson.” Yonghwa’s grandfather said proudly while Yonghwa stood there with a charming smile but still knowing him… Seohyun knew he was shocked and confused as she was. It was probably because he didn’t know he’s going there for an official announcement because from what she remembered, he said he’s going to see his grandfather to dig things through.. It’s weird.. usually she will still be calmed but she felt panic rushing through her and like she was about to burst out.

“Unnie…” She felt her body trembling, and her lips quivering. She felt out of control..“What if Yonghwa’s family doesn’t want to accept me anymore after this?” Yoona quickly hug her and covered her ears.

Seohyun is having a panic attack. She knew this because Seohyun’s grandmother has warned her before and she doesn’t want to tell Seohyun this because she’s afraid that her granddaughter won’t be taking the medication because knowing Seohyun.. she always wanted to be in control… and she can’t bear the thought of not being one.

“He will still love you. I can see it in his eyes.”

“I don’t want to burden him.”

“True love shall never cease in time of hardships. He won’t go back from his words. He will protect you and do everything for you.”

“I don’t want to ruin his relationship with his family.. W-who’s going to accept a sick child in their family?”

“Seohyun, think about yourself first can you? Think about how you will feel better instead.”

“B-but.”

“Seohyun… stop thinking and please just breathe. I’m telling you. It’s going to be fine.”

***

Yonghwa saw his grandfather shadow as the moonlight illuminates the dark study room that his grandfather used.

“Now, can you tell me the reason for your actions?”

“The reason why I’m doing all of this?”

“Yes. I’m wondering about this.”

“Why, I took you as a Jung heir despite not being fond of your father’s choice is because you are capable as one and you have a girlfriend that can be the ladder for your climb.”

“No, there’s millions of other woman to be used and you wanted just Seohyun. Your stubbornness on not wanting to acknowledge my ability for being born in my mother’s womb and then all of it changes with her appearance. Why?”

“You must have heard about the curse right?” He smirked.

“I did.” Yonghwa felt shocked. Even his grandfather knew about it then?

“Great harm shall befall you if the two families get together or great prosperity shall befall us.” He cited the same line that was mentioned to Yonghwa from the Seo’s. “I was intrigued by it… it was a known fact being led down to our descendants. They treat us like trash. The Seo did.”

“They did not, grandpa.”

“In a way they did. They shipped us off and despite our recognition it wasn’t enough.”

“Why are you bearing grudges?”

“I’m not. Seohyun is a sweetheart. I admit that, and she brings a certain warmness and she’s a great kid despite her social standing yes. I’m a man with ambition Yonghwa… and frankly it hasn’t been fulfilled yet. This is my last will.. and my last aim. To get rid of this incredulous rumor surrounding our family. Our family is not ideal to get marry off Yonghwa. It’s actually hard to match make our family… because of the rumor that harm shall befall us.”

“You’re not having any other intentions.”

“Frankly, I’m not. I wanted to reach further so I’m pushing you to take the challenge.. it can bring you great pain to try and join the Seo and Jung together they had said. Let’s see how the curse will ruin us.”

He went out from the study room, puzzled. His grandfather was a very intimidating man… to this point. He personally never met a man who are so willing on sacrificing his family stable life for something far unknown. It’s not that he trusted the rumor or the curse but the level of catastrophe and the fact that most of them already knew but they haven’t spoken anything about it was what doubtful for him.

“Yonghwa..” His grandfather stepped out from his study room for a while. “Have you heard anything from your girlfriend?”

“I haven’t. My phone was off the entire day because you asked me to do so.”

“I think you should pay more attention to each other regardless you trust the curse or not.”

Then Yonghwa remembered, that she did said she felt unwell earlier that day.

He cursed inwardly when he noticed how many missed calls she had left.. and then the text. The text saying she needed him. Then it went again and again on how she was afraid.

Something was wrong and he prayed like a mad man that she is fine and well.

He stormed off from the mansion and tried to call her phone.

 

 

Author’s Note

This chapter was very Seohyun based. You might find this conflict to be very heavy but I’m tired of the typical chaebol conflict so I’m trying a new thing. I took a long time to update because I don’t want it to be choppy as before because before I combined several scenes and pasted it together. Since the conflict already unraveled, I will try to go lighter after this.