CHAPTER 8: Secrets: Keeping and Telling

In Love With a Lie

Back in Busan

Eunji took a of her icecream excitedly as she looked at the phone in front of her.

‘I wonder if Jiyun has found out yet?”

Luhan chuckled at her from across the table as he reached over to curl a strand of hair behind her ear.

“So that’s why you asked me out here for ice cream,” he pouted. “I thought you actually wanted to see me!”

“ANI ANI ANI, I DO, of course. But this is such a strange of luck! I can’t believe they actually go to the same school now.”

As soon as they had come back from Jeju island, Luhan and Eunji had gotten to know each other a lot better, seeing each other almost every day, and it wasn’t long before they spilled the beans about the whole trip. Eunji giggled, remembering the look of shock plastered on both of their faces when they found out that BOTH Jaemin and Nayoung weren’t real, and the good laugh they had at how they were properly deceived. They had decided not to tell Jihyun and Sehun, what they didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them, right? Especially if the two would never see each other again anyway.

But it turns out that the two would see each other again, as they found out at lunchtime.

“Show me the messages you got from Sehun again?” Eunji poked Luhan, who had called her during lunch to confirm the name of Jihyun’s new school.

He handed his phone to her and she scrolled through the message stream from ‘Sehunnie’ 

Hyuuung, there’s a girl who looks exactly like Nayoung here. DOES SHE HAVE A TWIN??

Hyung. She even acts like her. Hyung. Hyung. Hyung.

MWOH?! Nayoung was made up??  Ask Eunji which school ‘Nayoung’ goes to. I’ll call you. I’m definite it’s her. That dirty liar.

Wah. Sehun sounds mad.” She giggled. “It’s a bit unfair to Jihyun though, we told him that Nayoung was fake while Jihyun might not even realize at all yet!”

Luhan chuckled. “He wouldn’t have stopped pestering me otherwise. And I’m sure Jihyun is bright enough to figure it out, regardless of what Sehun thinks.”

“I wonder how it’ll turn out. Imagine  Nayoung and Jaemin ending up together as Jihyun and Sehun.” She grinned.

Luhan’s smile abruptly disappeared and he looked away.

Did I hit a touchy subject? Eunji grimaced and bit her lip when Luhan spoke up.

“Eunji. Sehun’s… not Jaemin.”

Eunji blinked, “And Jihyun’s not Nayoung,”

He sighed, “No. Sehun is not Jaemin. At all. Sehun is… Well… he’s… experienced some things…”

A somber mood hung in the air, and Eunji realized that not much would be said about the situation.

She looked at her phone again, thinking of Jihyun. “I hope it turns out alright.” She pursed her lips.

Luhan shook his head. “It will. In time.”

A lingering and heavy silence hung in the air, before Luhan broke it with a mischievous grin, somewhat forced.

“But enough worrying about them, let’s talk about us.”

More than relieved, Eunji stuck out her spoon with ice cream in it.

“K. Are you hungry? Say Ahhhh!”

Luhan opened his mouth wide and closed his eyes, anticipating the sweet treat. Hearing a giggle, he felt something cold splat against his cheek.

“YAHHH EUNJI, I’Ll KILL YOU!”

------------------------------

Back in Seoul

I tossed on my blanket. Yesterday had gone pretty well, as far as first days went. I chuckled as I struggled my way out of bed, for another day of new faces and welcomes. I tried to rehearse names in my head as I got ready.

I brushed my teeth, and the flash of white was like Kai’s gorgeous smile. I grinned. Not likely to forget his name any time soon.

As I gobbled down my breakfast, Krystal’s love of food. Again, not likely. Although I was finding it difficult to remember the other girls at our table.

As I stepped out the door, the rush of fresh air. Like the exhilaration of the basketball game. Lay, Baekhyun, Tao… and Kris.

The whoosh of a white motorbike. My smile turned into a frown. I didn’t have to imagine this time. My Jaemin in a twisted devil form, Oh Sehun, there in front of me, before he zoomed off again, leaving me in his dust. He did have his redeeming qualities though. Like how he stayed at the first aid room. And the way he had walked me home. Well kind of anyway.

“ANNYEONG CHINGU!” I felt a hand grab onto my shoulder and yank me back gently.

It was Kai. “We meet again, Kim Jongin.” I grinned.

He looked aghast. “How do you remember my real name, Song Jihyun? Have you been… stalking me??”

I feigned a look of horror. “How did you know?”

He played along, giving a cocky smirk, “Who wouldn’t stalk the great Kim Jongin?”

“P-Please accept your fangirl’s heart.” I stuttered, looking down.

“Only if she’s my #1 fan”

“Of course I am.” I battered my eyelashes unashamedly.

He grinned heartily and pulled me into him. “Well, I guess I’ll have to marry you then!”

I pretended to gag, but left his arm on my shoulder. “Yah, too far, too far, Kai!”

He stuck out his tongue. “Your loss.”

It was still early, because I definitely didn’t want to miss the bus today, so there was still a whole hour before school started.

“But what are you doing out here so early, Kai?” I asked curiously.

“I might ask the same to you.” He replied cheekily.

I frowned at his horrible response before explaining. “I didn’t want to miss the bus.”

Kai snorted, “A little over eager, aren’t we? There’s still 20 minutes until the bus arrives!”

I pouted. “Well, I didn’t want to be late. Like yesterday.”

“But you weren’t late yesterday…” Kai winked.

“Only thanks to you,” I beamed. “But I didn’t know if I would bump into you again.”

Kai held his hand out. “Phone.”

I dropped it into his open palm, and he quickly thumbed in a number and saved it, I’m assuming his. He pressed the call button and his own phone rang. Yep it was his.

“Now you’ll know” he grinned. 

I chuckled as he handed the phone back to me. “MWOH, <3 Y KAI OPPA <3? PUAHAHAHAHAHA.”

He ruffled my hair, unfazed. “Well, you ARE my number one fan.”

My goodness. How did this guy get school captain?

“So” He continued boldly, “If you wake up a bit later, your y Kai oppa will walk with you.”

I bit down my laughter and gave him a serious look. “I’m so flattered. …But the exercise.” I whined.

“YOUR CHOICE, YOUR LOSS.” He laughed. “Just an option, if you wake up late.”

If it had been any other person, I would have thought he was being very shameless, which I usually found very annoying, but with Kai, he was just a considerate and friendly guy, who pretended to love himself excessively so others wouldn’t feel bad. At least… I hope he was pretending.

“You still haven’t answered my question, Kai! What are you doing out here so early?”

He smiled. “Just getting some breakfast. Some early morning air to awaken these wonderful brain cells. Want to come? I’ll take you round the shortcut again, so we’ll have at least half an hour for breakfast.”

I nodded happily. “That sounds great. But… I’ve had breakfast…”

His reply was quick, “Then you get to watch my y face while I eat.” He paused, watching my reaction. I gave him a poker face and he continued, with a grin. “I’m only kidding. I’ll buy you a coffee or something.”

I made a face. “Bleugh coffee.”

He chuckled, “Trust me. It’s the best coffee you’ll ever taste.”

--------------------------------------

I was sipping on my mocha, and I have to admit it was pretty good.

The sun was shining on Kai’s angelic features and I have to admit, he was really good looking.

He took a bite of his bacon and egg sourdough sandwich savagely.

“You ruined it.” I scowled.

“Ruined what?” He chomped on unknowingly.

“Nevermind.” I frowned.

“My beautiful face right?” he held up a V sign with his fingers and posed cutely.

I laughed and quickly managed to take a snap with my phone.

“Yah!!!” he shouted, alarmed. “I can’t ruin my cool image! Erase that!”

“Sorry, your number one fan must keep it.” I grinned and slipped the phone back in my pocket.

He sighed dramatically. “If I had one dollar for every phone wallpaper I was on….”

“You’d still be dead broke.” I finished for him.

“Pfft. That’s no way for a number one fan to talk.”

“Araso, araso.”

Time passed quickly, with the two of us bickering quietly, before it was time for us to go.

He quickly paid before we turned the corner to head to school, passing a small park with a little brown bench at the back. The bench was under a tree, and occupied by a lone figure sipping on some bubble tea, in a school uniform. He looked… lonely, but thoughtful. A wistful kind of figure.

I don’t know why, but I dropped back from Kai’s quick stride and squinted. He had dark hair, and appeared tall and his gaze had utterly caught me. We continued looking at each other, neither of us breaking the eye contact and I felt… understood. Even though there wasn’t anything about me to be understood.

 

“Jihyun?” Kai had realized I was missing, and was now walking back.

“Hm?” I broke away from the gaze and focused my attention on Kai. “I’m coming!”

I jogged to catch up to him, but not before my eye was caught by the same white motorbike, parked by the side of the park. Was that Oh Sehun? I cocked my head. He seemed so different, quiet, and thoughtful. How many sides did that guy have?

“Aigooo.” Kai knocked my head. “I didn’t know it was possible to get lost in your own world while you’re walking.”

I laughed nervously. “Me neither.” Sehun’s gaze had somehow caught me. Helplessly so.

Kai softened. “Are you okay?”

Oh Sehun.

Jaemin.

Oh Sehun.

Was I okay?

“Yah Jihyun… you look like a little lost puppy,” Kai sounded nervous.

How could I lose my thoughts so easily? With just one look? When I didn’t even know it was him? When it wasn’t even the bright rainbow hair of Jaemin, but the dark aura of Sehun?

“I’m here, if you want to say anything,” Kai put a comforting hand on my back, and slowly started walking me forwards. “I don’t know what it is, but sometimes, the only way is to keep moving forwards.” He gave a grim smile.

I sighed. Kai was genuinely concerned, when it was nothing but my own stupid feelings. I couldn’t even understand them myself.

“Kai, it’s stupid. Don’t worry.”

“Jihyuuuun, I want to know.” He whined, while maintaining his concern, “Only if you’re comfortable though.”

I was comfortable. I was very comfortable with Kai. I had only known him for a day, but I felt like I had known him forever. I felt like he would be there for me, and I wanted to concern myself with what happened with him. I didn’t want him to concern himself unnecessarily over my silly little issue.

“There’s a boy.” Telling is part of understanding the problem right?

Kai gave a dramatic gasp to lighten the atmosphere. “You love someone other than me? You’re fired from number one fan position.”

I gave a light chuckle, glad he was trying. “I met him while on holiday at Jeju Island. He introduced himself as Jaemin, and we got close. He was the perfect gentleman and we had the perfect relationship. Perhaps too perfect. And that was the way it turned out.”

I looked at him worriedly. Was this too much for the second day? But he gave me a kind smile and nodded gently, encouraging me to go on.

“Long story short, Kai, I found out yesterday that Jaemin was fake. The amazing and nice guy Jaemin that I had fallen for didn’t actually exist. He was merely another fictional character some brat from our school was pretending to be. And guess who it was?”

Up to this point, Kai had been smiling encouragingly, until I mentioned his name.

“It was that jerk. Oh Sehun.”

Kai’s smile suddenly dropped and he looked down, with a grimace. I swear I heard him whisper. “Oh Sehun,” but I continued.

“But I’ve been talking to him a bit. And I don’t know what to think anymore. At first, I hated his guts, but he keeps changing, I don’t understand him at all! He confuses me.” I ended in a drawl.

Kai grabbed me by the shoulders and locked eyes with me, with a serious expression. “Be careful you don’t get hurt, Jihyun.”

I blinked. Was it that bad? “He seems alright, Kai.”

“Mmm.” Kai gave me a nod and looked away. “But usually he forgets. Usually he forgets he’s alright. He’s still… hiding from himself.” His voice was soft, and I couldn’t be sure of the last words he had said, but the atmosphere was now as if someone had just died. It was a little suffocating.

Kai noticed, and backtracked. “No yeah. He’s alright.” He forced a smile. “Just… don’t get too attached.”

I returned a forced laugh. “I’m not attached. He’s just confusing me.”

Kai patted my head gently, before sliding it down to my bag, guiding me along the path. “Araso, Jihyun. Don’t worry too much. Let’s get to school.”

As quickly as it had come, the dead atmosphere was gone. Kai had that kind of magic about him. I wasn’t sure if I felt any better after that conversation, but I was glad I had told him, given something to him, yes, given my trust to him, in return for all the care he gave me.

 

 

------------------------

What is this… A Kai fic???? More Sehun soon (: But how can you resist this face??

And sorry I took a while! I was trying to figure out a sensical plot, which should be fine now (: the story be rollin.

and happy new year!!

I feel like an excited a/n isn't in order after this chapter haha. I'll see you soon in the next chapter (:

 

Thanks for subscribing, commenting and the like!

And if you haven't please do, it makes me happyyyyyyyyy (:

Annyeong for now ma homies. <3