Chapter 13

Unexpected Sparks

Rachel

Hyoshin looked at me, his face a mixture of confusion and hurt. I could see tears were starting to form in his eyes. I had to look away from him or else I would start crying too.

"But... why Rachel?" he whispered.

I forced myself to look at him, making sure that my face showed no emotion.

"I don't think I need to explain myself to you. My wish is simple: break up with me."

Hyoshin looked straight into my eyes, searching for an answer. When he saw that I wouldn't give him an explanation, he gave up and let the tears fall from his eyes. I fought the urge to comfort him, to wipe away the tears on his handsome face.

"We're over" he said and left the room.

 

Later that night, I laid on my warm bed.

Why did I ask Hyoshin to break up with me?

Because I'm a coward. 

I asked my mom where I would be studying for college a week ago. I expected her to tell me I was going to study in New York, where Hyoshin would be studying film making and I would study fashion designing but then mom gave me a different answer.

"Paris," she said. I tried asking her, even begged her to let me study in New York but she didn't listen. 

Then a thought suddenly came to me.

What if Hyoshin would forget about me? What if he will fall in love with another girl? What if I suddenly found out he was cheating on me? What if he stopped liking me? What if he would never love me?

We won't be together for five years. I won't be able to see him for five years. I was so scared of the thought of getting hurt, getting heartbroken for the second time that I decided to just get it over with here while we're both still in Korea.

But now that I think about it...

I'm an idiot. I shouldn't have asked him to break up with me. I should have just trusted him and now all I did was hurt both of us.

I just lost Hyoshin.

I lost him because of my cowardness.

 

5 years later...

 

"Congratulations Rachel" mom spoke as she cut her steak.

We're at a fancy restaurant in Paris having a celebratory dinner because I just graduated from the top fashion designing school in the whole world.

"Thank you mom" I smiled at her.

I can see that my mom is proud and happy of what I have achieved. I would soon start working in our company and after five years, my mom is going to give the company to me.

"So where are you going for your vacation? I'm giving you a whole month to go anywhere you like before you start working for me at our company"

"Really mom? That's wonderful. I want to go and spend a whole month in LA" I told her.

"You love the warm weather there don't you?" she asked.

"Yes."

But that's not the only reason why I want to go to LA.

I know Hyoshin is there.