Chapter 12

Unexpected Sparks

"I'm studying in the U.S." Hyoshin replied.

He's leaving me. I'm going to be alone again.

"Oh really..." I said trying to sound normal but deep inside I feel so sad, so cold.

I suddenly felt Hyoshin's hand holding mine. I looked at our hands, perfectly fitted together. Hyoshin held my face and made me look at him.

"Don't worry Rachel. We're only going to be apart for a year cause I know you'll study in the U.S. too and I'll call you everyday, I promise" he said softly.

I sighed. I'm going to feel so lonely because I won't have anyone to talk to at school. It's going to be one long lonely year. I'm going to miss him so much.

"When are you leaving?" I asked.

"Next month..." he replied. 

We were both quiet for a moment.

"Let's go?" he suddenly asked. I nodded and smiled at him. He let go of my hand and turned the engine on. 

I have to make the most out of the one month we have together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1 month later...

I looked at my room one last time before I closed the door. I won't miss it at all. I'm finally free from my parent's controlling grasp.

"Is everything ready son?" mother asked me. I nodded in reply.

"Hyoshin, there is someone here to see you" father called from the living room. Who could it be?

I walked towards our living room and I was surprised to see Rachel sitting down on the couch and sitting right across her is father. Father has an unusually big smile on his face as he looks at Rachel.

"Oh there he is" father says as he sees me arrive into the room. 

"Hyoshin, why didn't you tell me that your girlfriend is the daughter of a close friend and client of mine?" father spoke as he looked at me and Rachel.

"Ummm" I didn't know what to say.

Mother arrived in the living room and was surprised to see Rachel.

"Omo who is this young lady? Oh, you look familiar dear... are you Rachel? The daughter of the owner of RS International?" mother asked.

"Yes she is mom and she's my girlfriend" I replied.

"Really? How wonderful! Why didn't you tell us son? Rachel, would you like to have something to drink?" mother asked.

"No but thank you... I was actually here to talk to Hyoshin before he leaves" Rachel replied.

"Oh then you should talk now... would you like me and Mr. Lee to leave the room so you and Hyoshin can talk privately?" mother offered.

"How about we talk in my room?" I spoke. "Come follow me Rachel" I motioned for her to follow me and we went inside my room.

"I'm so happy and surprised to see you. You told me you didn't want to see me leave-" I started but she stopped me.

"Hyoshin do you remember the promise you made when we were at the arcade? I get to have one wish" she said.

"Of course I remember..."

"Well I want to make that wish now" she said.

The atmosphere in the room suddenly changed. Rachel's facial expression has become emotionless. I suddenly feel afraid, scared that I'm going to lose Rachel.

"Break up with me" she said.