Chapter 3

Unexpected Sparks

"Why does the major matter? As long as it's an Ivy league, that's enough" I tell my secretary. "Hang up, I'm in the nurse's office" 

Ugh, my head hurts. I massage my temples to relieve the pain.

My phone rings. I look at the sender. A message from Hyoshin sunbae?

Don't be noisy in the nurse's office

Why would he know I'm in the nurse's office? Is he in here?

I look around. He must be in the bed next to me. I draw the curtains and find Hyoshin lying in bed comfortably. He gives me a small wave and a tight lipped smile. I get the same weird feeling again. I quickly draw the curtains back and return to the bed that I was sitting in.

I sit down and receive another text from Hyoshin.

Why are you always flustered when you see me?

"It's not fluster, it's absurdity" I text back.

Why is it absurd?

I bite my lip, why is it absurd? And why am I acting like this? This is so unlike me. I still keep remembering the kiss I shared with Hyoshin.

"That incident... can you pretend like it never happened?" I text him.

The whole school knows... but let's do that then

"A third year who didn't even take the national college exam surely has good attendance. Aren't you preparing to repeat the test?"

Hyoshin suddenly draws the curtains and appears beside me. I look at him.

"Should we? Repeat?" 

"If we don't repeat, then what should we do?" I say looking away from him. 

What the heck are we talking aboout?!

"You didn't see me getting the gold medal in the Asian Teenager Film Festival?"

I look at him. What is he talking about?

"With that career, even without an SAT, I'll have a free pass to a film major in any country" he says smugly.

"If you're going to do that, then why are you uselessly studying so well?" I tell him.

"It is good to know a lot of things"

We both stare at each other. It suddenly becomes awkward. 

"My... my head hurts" I tell him and draw the curtains back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hyoshin, can we talk for a moment?" Hyunjoo says.

I follow her. I wonder what she want US to talk about. Maybe it's about the kiss?

We enter a room and Hyunjoo motions for me to sit down.

She starts preparing coffee. "You know Kim Tan right? The kids said he's the closest to you" she says while pouring hot water.

"So?" I say.

Hyunjoo carries the two mugs. "Because I'm just wondering, if by chance something happened to him", she puts the mugs on the table and takes a seat across me.

"Did you call me to ask about that?"

"Do you have anything else to say? Do you want to talk about the national college exams now then?"

I shift in my seat. I don't want to talk about that. I take a deep breath and say, "You saw me kiss another girl right? If you called me in, you should take about that first. I did that in order for you to watch"

"I guess you found a girl you like. Then will you get your feelings together?"

She paused before continuing, "I thought, ah it's a relief".

I can't believe it.

"I wonder why it is a relief why you know whom I like"

"Can't we go back to talking about Tan?"

"Did you tutor Tan too? Why are you so interested?"

Hyunjoo's facial expression changed. What could be the reason why she's so interested in Tan?

Hyunjoo thinks for a moment before saying, "He is the brother of someone I know".

She knows Won hyung? Tan's brother?

"Do you know Won hyung? How? You didn't even go to the same college"

Hyunjoo doesn't reply. She avoids my gaze. Realization hits me.

"By chance... did you two... date?"

"No" she replies too quickly.

She's caught.

"You did date or you guys are dating right now"

"I told you I didn't" she continues.

I scoff.

"I must have been so insignificant in comparison"

All this time, Hyunjoo was dating Won hyung... CEO of Jeguk! I must have looked like a child in Hyunjoo's eyes.

I stand up. "I'll be leaving. Ask your boyfriend about Tan" I say and leave.

I can't believe this!

I walk to the nurse's office. I need to rest. 

I arrive and find it empty so Iie down on one of the beds and close the curtains. I suddenly hear Rachel speaking.