I'll Take My Chances

You Are the One (a Super Junior Love Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You lean back against your pillow as you continue to jot down a list of all the stuff you need for the upcoming week. You only have tomorrow left before practice for SS4 begins. You reach a hand up to your hair-- which is in need of a trim-- and run your fingers through. "How short should I get my hair cut tomorrow?" you ask Amber and Suho, who are sitting on the bed too looking over some magazine. 

Amber looks up from the magazine. "Your hair is fine, 언니 [unnie]. If you cut it too short, then 오빠 [oppa] won't fall in love with you and play with it." She sends you a teasing wink. 

"아이씨 [Aish]..." you mutter, grabbing your pillow from behind you and wacking her with it. "You're hopeless, you know that?"

Amber chuckles. "I think you are the one that is hopeless, 오빠 [Oppa] Impersonator." She snatches the pillow from your hands and then sits on it so you cannot hit her any more with it. "You are just going to keep on denying it."

Suho looks up from the magazine. "누나 [Noona], it's ok to admit if you are ually attracted to a 형 [hyung] of mine. I won't judge." He sends you a wink. 

"Will you just shut it?" you snap, getting up from the bed with your list. "Eeesh! I think I'm just going to get my errands done now instead of tomorrow, just so that I don't have to hear you two any more."

Suho and Amber glance at each other knowingly.

"Someone seems a little embarrassed," says Suho, tilting his head slightly in a teasing manner.  

You shake your head. "아니 [Ani]. I'm just sick of this conversation." You turn your head away to face your dresser, hoping they will not notice the tinge of colour that you feel creeping into your cheeks as you feel your body start to warm. 

"언니 [Unnie]..." Amber's voice has a hint on gravity to it.

You turn around. "What?" 

"I want you to do something for me."

"What is that?"

"When you do your errands tomorrow, don't dress as a guy."

You stare at her like she is crazy. "What?"

Suho's eyes widen in excitement at Amber's suggestion. "That's a good idea!"

You narrow your eyes at them. "Now, how is that a good idea? How is Jaekyu supposed to walk around dressed as a girl?!"

Amber smirked. "We're not talking about Jaekyu. We're talking about you, Jaehwa. I just want to try a little experiment on you." She gives Suho a knowing glance and he nods in agreement.

"An experiment? 야 [Ya]! I'm not your guinea pig!" You scoff. "What makes you think I would ever go along with whatever your little 'experiment' is?" You make little air quotes around the word "experiment" before folding your arms in front yourself. "Whatever you plan to do, forget it. I'm not going to go along with it."

Amber lets out an exasperated sigh. "If you don't, I'll tell everyone your little secret." Her eyes flicker down to her chest and than to yours.

You restrain yourself from reacting in a way that would show your nervousness over her threat. You scoff. "You're bluffing."

"Am I?" She keeps a fixed gaze on you. "Suho?"

"Hmm?" He turns to look at her. 

"Jae--"

You run over and clap a hand over . "I told you not to tell." There is a slight lilt in your voice, revealing that you are worried about what she wants to say.

She squirms, muffling something from under your hand. 

Suho watches, wide-eyed. "What's going on?"

You feel something wet run along your palm. "Ah!" you cry, pulling your hand away from . "You me! That's sick!' You wipe your palm on her shirt in irritation.

Amber grins in triumph. "Don't put your hand over my mouth." She turns to look at Suho. "So, what I was saying is that Jaehwa's-- Ah!"

You wrestle her onto the bed. "Don't!" You cannot let her tell Suho. What if he actually went and told your members... and he found out??? "I promise I'll do whatever you say!" you spit out quickly. 

Amber grins up at you. "Good." She chuckles. "Now you better get off of me before a potential 오빠 [oppa] walks in the door and sees our compromising postion." She winks up at you.

Suho falls back on the bed, laughing and clutching his stomach.

"아이씨 [Aish]..." you mutter, grabbing a pillow and smacking Amber on the head with it before getting off her. "You punk." You ruffle your boyish hair and then sit on the bed again. "So, Miss Blackmailer..." You click your tongue. "What exactly is this experiment of yours?"

Amber exchanges an amused glance with Suho before sending you a smirk. "You'll see."

You sigh. You have a bad feeling about this...

****

You eye the garment in your hand. "No. No way! I am not doing this. Wearing shorts and tank tops around the house is one thing, but this?! No! They'll think I'm trying to pick up one of them!"

Amber slugs you in the arm. "Will you just shut up and put it on? 아이씨 [Aish]. Why do you have to make things more complicated then they are?" She shoves you towards your closet. "Just put it on already or else I'll tell him--" She gestures a thumb over her shoulder to Suho is sitting on the bed, trying to stifle a laugh as he watches the exchange between you and Amber. "--that secret and then he'll go and tell--"

"Alright, alright!" You acquiesce, heaving a sigh in frusteration as you open the closet door. "Blackmailing 동생 [dongsaeng]..." you mutter under your breath, closing the door behind you. You quickly strip yourself of your clothes and don the dress that Amber had "borrowed" from one of her band members, who had forgotten she had bought the dress months ago and had never worn it. Amber assured you it was better for you to have it than for it to sit in the closet for another eight months.

After putting the dress over your frame, you take a deep breath, preparing yourself to face Amber and Suho. You have worn dresses before; however, it has been quite awhile since then and you feel slightly uncomfortable as you open the door and step out of the closet. You have been dressing like a guy for awhile now, so it does feel a little out of place to be wearing an actual dress. 

Suho's eyes widen and his jaw slacks slightly.

Your eyebrows furrow at him. "야 [Ya]! Don't make that face! It reminds me of when you found out I was girl."

This sets Amber off in a fit of laughter. "I bet that was pretty priceless!"

Suho chuckles somewhat nervously. "It was weird to discover that my 형 [hyung] is my 누나 [noona]." 

You heave a sigh as you walk towards  the mirror to access yourself. "Well--" You click your tongue, eyeing your reflection. The dress is a strapless, mint green dress with a matching bow cinched at the waist. You shift uncomfortably in front of the mirror. You would hate to admit it out loud, but you feel much more like a girl than you have been in months. It feels refreshing actually. You unconsciously let out a small sigh. 

"What is it?" asks Amber, raising an eyebrow as she steps up next to you, looking at your face in the mirror as she shoves her hands into her pockets lazily.

"Oh, I was just thinking that I look like Jaekyu dressed as a girl," you say with a chuckle, coming up with an excuse quickly, heading over to your vanity to start putting on some makeup. "This is going to be so weird," you mutter, putting your foundation on. "Remind me to kill you later." 

Amber chuckles. "If you do..." She tilts her head to the side. "...Then out goes your secret." 

"Yeah, yeah," you mutter, putting on your eyeliner quickly. 

"I wonder what this secret is," comments Suho, leaning back against your bed cushions. "It must be pretty big if you just bend to what Amber is telling you to do." There is a slight pause before he continues, "You're not really a guy, pretending to be a girl who is pretending to be a guy, right?" 

You open the cap of your mascara and start choking up with laughter. "What in the world goes on in that brain of yours, 동생 [dongsaeng]?"

He shrugs. "Stranger things have happened." 

You chuckle as you start putting on your mascara in a hurried manner. "Like seeing your 형 [hyung] wear a dress and put on makeup?"

"Pretty much."

You set down your mascara and bend down to grab your high heels from under the bed. As soon as you do so, however, you feel a shooting pain in your chest. "Ow!" You stumble back, clutching a hand to your chest. 

Suho looks down at you from the bed with wide eyes. "누나 [Noona], are you alright?"

You smile through the pain, releasing your hand from your chest quickly so that he does not see that you are hurting physically. "I'm fine," you say casually, swatting a hand to dismiss the matter. I just stretched funny. That's all." 

"Oh." Suho nods in understanding before turning to his phone which has just begun to vibrate.

You shoot Amber a look as she stares at you with a mixture of sympathy and worry. "Don't say anything," you mouth to her, picking your heels up off the floor quickly. You hurry to your feet and grab your purse. "I better get going."

Amber and Suho follow you, grins plastered on their faces. As soon as you step out of your room, you hear a bunch of voices coming from the living room. You feel your heart begin to beat faster. It sounds like all of the members are in the living room! What if he sees you!

You feel rather childish as your heart begins to beat faster from nervousness at the idea.

You walk casually into the living room, heading toward the front door. "Anyone need anything? I'm going out to run errands." You set your high heels on the floor by the door and put them on. 

"Actually," you hear Heechul's voice. "I'll come with you. I have to pick up some-- Whoa! What are you wearing?!" 

You straighten up at hearing Heechul's outburst. You turn and find him and the rest of the members staring at you in surprise. "야 [Ya], you've never seen a girl wear a dress before?" You scoff.

"I've seen you in a dress before, smart one!" Heechul says sarcastically. "I mean, did you lose a bet or something?"

Amber pipes up. "She lost a bet to me and Suho, so we're making her do her errands as a girl. We're not going with her of course. We're just making sure she leaves the building like this." Amber gives you a sidelong glance, smirking a little. 

"That makes sense," mutters Heechul, getting up from one of the sofas. "I'll come with you. I need to do some errands anyway. Plus, this way I can enjoy the view a little more." His eyes flicker down at you as he walks past you to the door. 

You groan inwardly. This is going to be a long day.

****

Heechul pulls into a parking space at the store and turns off the engine. He leans to the back seat and grabs a baseball cap and cardigan. He puts them both on meticulously.

You shake your head slightly and reach a hand up to ruffle your hair.

"야 [Ya]! What are you doing!" he cries. 

"Huh?" You look at him confused. 

He reaches over and immediately starts fixing your hair. "You're not a boy, woman! You need to keep your hair nice." 

"야 [Ya]," you cry. "I can--"

Heechul just continues. "If you want to pull off the girl look and not be recognized as Jaekyu, you are going to have to act like a girl."

"Eeesh..." you mutter as he pulls away. 

"Alright. So, today, I am Heekyu, which is a product of you and me. You can call me '오빠 [oppa]'," he sends you a smirk before opening up his door.

You scoff. "Don't bet on it." You open your door and get out, shutting the door behind you. 

Heechul shuts his and then locks the door, coming around to where you are. "야 [Ya], how come you won't call me '오빠 [oppa]', woman?"

You slug him in the arm. "Shut up, Heekyu-ah." You smirk, trying out his new fake name.

"That's not very lady-like." He adjusts his sunglasses on his face. "Let's go!"

You both head into the store. As you shop around for various items and put them in your basket, you pass the lingerie section. Bowing your head low, you hope he does not notice the section, knowing that he will make some sort of comment about it that you would rather not hear. 

"Jaehwa?" Heechul begins in a rather hushed voice.

You turn to look at him, noting his eyes dart from the aforementioned section to you. "What is it Heekyu-ah?" you ask, having fun with his name.

"Does it hurt?" he asks quietly, looking at you with concern.

"Does what hurt?" You raise your eyebrows at him questioningly when you hear the tone in his voice.

"You know," he says, patting his own chest. 

You scoff. "Of course not."

Great. The last thing you need is Heechul asking about that. There is no way you are letting him or any of the other guys know the truth. 

He knits his brows. "진짜 [Jinjja]? Because it seems like it would." He his head to the side, thinking about something. "You're not just saying that because you don't want us to worry, right? You would tell us if--"

A sales associate comes up, causing Heechul to break off, much to your relief. "Can I help you find anything?" she asks. "Are you looking for some lingerie?" she asks. 

"아니요 [Aniyo]," you say at the exact same moment that Heechul responds in the affirmative.

"네 [Ne]."

You shoot Heechul a glare.

The woman looks from him to you, unsure of what to do. "Did you want to be measured?" she asks, turning to you. 

"I'm dressing up as a woman for a costume party," responds Heechul with a cheeky grin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter