All is Fair in Love and Variety

You Are the One (a Super Junior Love Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N: No past events]

****

The ELF in the audience scream in delight as each member intruduces himself. Only two more to go until it's your turn to introduce yourself. You're really not sure what to say. The rest of the guys keep making jokes and stuff, but you would rather not aggravate the ELF in the studio audience that are sending daggers your way.

"안녕하세요 [Annyeonghaseyo]! I am Eunhyuk-imnida and I'm the best future son-in-law for all mothers out there." Eunhyuk gives the audience a gummy smile, and the girls in the studio start giggling and squealing.

Shindong bows his head. "안녕하세요 [Annyeonghaseyo]! I am Shindong-imnda and I'm in charge of visuals and am the gag master."

Your turn. You bow your head, saying. "안녕하세요 [Annyeonhaseyo]! I am Jaekyu-imnida." You lift up your head with a grin.

Shindong adds. "He's the pretty boy."

You chuckle, shaking your head. 

The MC jumps in, asking, "Is the newest member a 'pretty boy'?"

You open your mouth, about to speak, when Shindong cuts in, "You should see him around the dorms. He--"

"Yah!" You cut him off, not wanting to get into details and take a risk in losing your identity. "I--"

He interrupts you again. "Do you believe this guy?" He gestures a thumb at you. "He is disrespectful, never giving us the proper respect we deserve," he says this in a joking manner, but you can immediately sense ELF's cold gaze on you. Shindong continues, "He had Amber over a few days ago and they were baking together."

The MC's eyes bulge out of their sockets. "Amber Liu? Of f(x)?"

You nod, "네 [Ne]."

The MC grins, looking at the rest of the members. "Does Amber come over a lot to hang out with Jaekyu?"

Shindong and Sungmin nod their heads. 

Sungmin says, "네 [Ne]. They hang out all the time."

Some of the audience members 'whoop'. The MC chuckles. "Scandal!"

You shake your head, waving your hands in front of you in denial. "아니요 [Aniyo]! 아니요 [Aniyo]! We're just friends!"

The rest of the members cry out, "Scandal! Scandal! Scandal!"

You slap your hand to your face. "Ah, 진짜 [jinjja]..."

"This guy is already getting himself into scandals and he's only been with us a few weeks. I think he's going to be worse than Heechul-ssi," says Siwon.

"Yah!" Heechul cries from the row behind you. "What are you talking about? I've been really good lately." He gives the audience a grin.

The MC laughs and then turns his attention back to you. "So Jaekyu-ssi, be honest with us. Are you and Amber REALLY close friends?"

"We're just friends. Nothing more," you reply, sitting back in your seat, realizing that it swivels. You smirk and twirl your seat to where you are looking up at the riser above you. "Yah! Heechul! Why don't you tell the audience about your latest scandal?" 

He glares at you. You smile, swiveling your chair sideways so that the audience can see part of your facial expressions as you look back at your 형 [hyung]. "Tell them about the other day!"

All the other members burst out laughing with the exception of Heechul as they recall the incident. 

"Yah! Stop disrespecting your 형 [hyung], Jaekyu!" he says, furrowing his brow.

"What happened?" the MC asks, hungering for more information.

You and Shindong exchange glances, grinning. 

Shindong begins, "After late rehearsals the other night, we all decided to go out to eat..." He covers his mouth as he starts to laugh. He hits you in the arm, indicating that you should continue.

You chuckle and then begin to tell the story. "So, we went to some restaurant and we all sat down. After we had ordered and started eating, an ahjumma, came up to the table and started talking to Heechul like she knew him. He kept trying to tell her that she must have mistaken him for someone else." You chuckle at the recollection and all the other members begin to laugh too. "She grabbed him by the arm and pulled him up from the table..." You start laughing so hard, unable to pull yourself together. "He-he-he..." You double over, laughing.

Shindong jumps in. "He looked ticked off, like he was ready to yell at the woman." Shindong shoots up from his seat. "Jaekyu, let's show them how it went." 

You take a deep breath to compose yourself from laughing, before you nod in agreement with the idea. "Arasso."

He walks up to you, saying a loud high pitched voice, "여보 [Yeobo]! 여보 [Yeobo]! Why didn't you tell me you were here?"

You try to imitate Heechul's mannerisms. "I think you have me mistaken for someone else." You pretend to take a swig of soju.

Shindong tries to sound like his words slur a bit. "여보 [Yeobo]... W-w-why are you acting like this?"

"Yah!" You look up at Shindong with a what-the-heck-are-you-doing look. "I don't know who are!"

Shindong grabs your arm, pulling you up from your seat. He pulls you a little aways, you scowling and crying, "Yah! Let go of me!"

He keeps his voice high-pitched. "여보 [Yeobo]! W-w-why..." He then grabs your face with an exaggerated desperate look in his eyes. He cups his hands on your face, pulling you close to him. 

"YAH!" you cry out, imitating Heechul. "WOMAN! WHAT THE--!" 

Shindong gives you a 'stage kiss', placing his thumbs over your lips and kissing his thumbs to look like he's kissing you. He dips you down. 

The studio audience bursts out laughing. 

He opens his eyes and widens them. In a high squeal, he shouts, "Yah! You're not my husband!"

You grimace, shouting, "YOU THINK?!?!?!"

Shindong drops you and then runs off. 

You fall smack on your rear end. "YAH! WOMAN! WHAT THE HECK?!"

Everyone in the audience is in stitches over your and Shindong's performance.

He grins, walking back to you, holding out his hand. You take it and he pulls you up to your feet. You give him a bro-hug, laughing about what you two just did. 

****

The incident sparks some mixed reviews from ELF. Some like how you seem so comfortable with the guys. Others think it's absolutely disgraceful how the newest member (who doesn't belong!) should be more respectful to his 형 [hyung].

****

You sit next to Shindong during an interview. 

"Jaekyu-ssi? How do you feel about the other members? About the 'Only 13' debate? About Henry and Zhou Mi?" 

You sit there, giving your honest answer. "I am grateful to both SM and my fellow band members for giving me such a unique opportunity. They are absolutely amazing. They have been so supportive of me during this whole thing and I am forever indebted to them, including Henry and Zhou Mi. If ELF can not accept me as part of Super Junior, I understand and accept their feelings. However, I do not want them to take those feelings against the other members, nor Henry and Zhou Mi, whom I consider to be a part of Super Junior."

You hear 'boo's and shouts coming from the audience. ELF is obviously upset with you.

The interview ends shortly after and Shindong and you head outside to the company van.

"Yah!" You hear a voice call from your right. 

You turn your gaze to see a group of girls standing a little distance away, posters in their hands, which read:

"ONLY 13!" 

"13 Is Perfect! Stop Changing Super Junior!"

"ELF: SAVE THE KING OF THE HALLYU!!! NO MORE MEMBERS!!!!"


As soon as your eyes make contact with theirs, they start shouting, their voices screeching with anger.

"Who do you think you are?!" yells one girl with a low-cut pink dress. 

"Super Junior doesn't need you!" calls out one with a sapphire pearl blue T-shirt and matching ELF bracelets on her left wrist.

"ELF doesn't want you! Super Junior hates you!" chimes in another with a T- shirt of Heechul's picture on it. You almost laugh at the irony, thinking about how Heechul got pretty ticked off the other day, because of what some '13er' said to you when you were entering the SM building. You recall how he fumed over the matter for a good half hour, halting the recording process.

"You are not Super Junior!" calls out another as you slide yourself into the back seat of the company van. You've pretty much learned to ignore the comments made by the '13ers'

Before Shindong enters in behind you, he takes one look at the '13ers' and says, "Jaekyu is my 형제 [hyungjae]. He is a good friend. You should at least treat him with respect." He hops in the car, shutting the door behind him. 

You can tell by the expression on his face, that he's trying his best to not looked ticked off.

"형 [Hyung]," you begin, looking at him a small smile. "Don't worry about it. I don't care about what they say." 

"Doesn't it bother you a little?" he asks, looking at you with a frown. 

"I'm used to it," you respond with a shrug. You don't mention that it does bug you when you think about it. That's why you try to ignore the comments as much as possible. "고맙습니다 [Gomasseumnida]," you add.

"For what?" he asks, with slight confusion written across his brow. 

"For caring," you reply, giving him a grin.

"What are friends for?" He gives you a cheeky grin, winking.

****

You slump onto the couch, face down into a pillow, fatigued after a long day of schedules and cleaning house.

Shindong comes along, saying, " Yah, pretty boy! Move over! You can't take up the whole couch."

You mumble something into the pillow.

"Pretty boy, I can't understand what you are saying." He takes a seat on your outstretched legs. 

You groan in pain, turning your face from the pillow. 

"Now, what were you saying?" he asks.

"Get off," you reply. 

"Not until I tell you what I have planned for the variety show tomorrow."

"왜 [Wae]?" you mumble sleepily.

"We could do a parody of Kim Hyun Joong's 'Unbreakable'," he replies. 

"Doesn't that dance involve a lot of T-shirt casualties?"

"네 [Ne]," he responds. "That's why I thought it would be fun to do."

"Fun for you maybe, but not for me," you mumble. 

He chuckles. "That's why you, Yesung, Eunhyuk, and Leeteuk will be wearing another T-shirt underneath. I'll be the only one shirtless. It's fun to tease idols who go shirtless. I did something like this to tease Rain before."

"Arasso," you say, letting out an exhausted sigh. "Can you get off of me now?" 

"Sure," he responds, getting off of your legs. "Besides, we need to start practicing now."

You groan, tumbling off the couch. "Fine! Let's get this done..."

"I love your enthusiasm, Jaehwa," he teases.

"Yeah, yeah."

****

Aish... You are getting absolutely sick of this. While all the other guys around you are ogling at the girl dancing suggesively on stage, their jaws slack, you are the only one finding the whole thing disgusting. You try to keep your emotions in check and try to maintain an absolutely bored expression throughout the whole thing, hoping that neither the audience nor the MC notices.

They do.

After the performance, the MC turns to you with a chuckle. "Jaehwa-ssi? I noticed you looked pretty bored during the performance...?" He says this questioningly, probing for more information out of you. 

You look around at your 형 [hyungs] and the other male idols around you. Suho's ears are looking a little red. Eunhyuk has a crooked grin. Kim Hyun Joong is looking a little too content.

You shake your head. "These guys are a bunch of erts."

The audience laughs.

The MC lifts a brow, after a brief chuckle. "Why do you say that? You're a guy, right?"

You give him a smirk. "네 [Ne]."

"Then why didn't you like the performance?" he asks, confused.

You take a breath. You might as well stand up for all girls everywhere, right? Pfft.

You begin hesitantly, bowing in the direction of the dancer."미안합니다 [Mianhamnida]. It's not you," you say, looking at her. "You are beautiful. However, I don't like it when girls feel that they have to dance that way to impress a guy." You always hated that girls would stoop to that level. If only a decent guy would just tell them that they are fine with out all the appeal. "Besides," you continue with a scoff towards your fellow 형 [hyungs]. "I don't think guys should be staring at a girl like that who's not his."

This sparks some response from the audience. Amusement and surprise are written on quite a few faces. 

The MC asks, "So, are you a gentleman, Jaekyu-ssi?"

"네 [Ne]," you reply with a grin. "But unlike sunbae, Hyun Joong, who only sings about being a gentleman, I actually am on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter