A String

You Are the One (a Super Junior Love Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N: Another Chapter w/out flashbacks.]

 

You step out of the women's bathroom, changed into your spare clothes, feeling refreshed after the long hours of dancing. Henry is sitting out in the hallway, leaning against the wall, his eyes closed. His eyes flicker open when he hears the door open. "Hey," he says with a nod, before slowly pulling himself to his feet. 

"Hey," you respond with a nod back.

You both head down the corridors to get to one of the vocal practice rooms. He opens the door for you and you both set down your bags on the floor. No one is there at the moment so you both sit on the risers to rest until the instructor arrives. 

"형 [Hyung] will probably be here soon," Henry says, leaning back and closing his eyes.

An awkward pauses follows. You speak up, trying to make conversation. "So... 형 [hyung], you're from Canada, right?"

"Yep. Just like Justin Bieber."

"Mwuh? Justin Who?"

"Bieber," Henry opens his eyes, staring at you blankly. "You mean you've never heard of Justin Beiber?"

You shake your head. "I'm not familiar with the Korean music industry any more, obviously."

Henry laughs. "Or the American music industry for that matter. He's a singer in America."

"Oh." You nod your head. "As you can see, it's been awhile since I paid attention to any of that stuff. So, is this Justin Beaver or whatever his name is any good?"

Henry bursts out laughing. "You really are out of the loop, aren't you? Let's just say, knowing your personality a bit, I already know that you would dislike him."

You laugh. "That bad, huh?"

"I once saw this pic online that had me on it with the caption, 'Canada's Apology for Justin Bieber'." 

You burst out laughing. "Omo. I'm glad I haven't heard his music then."

"Don't worry. You will," he says with chuckle. "I already decided that for SS4, I'm singing one of his songs. Amber is going to perform it with me too."

"Cool. I really want to meet this Amber. She sounds cool."

"Just your type, huh?" Henry smirks.

You whack him in the arm. "Shut up, 형 [hyung]."

He chuckles. "So, what is your type Jaehwa-ah?"

"I don't exactly have a type," you reply, making up an excuse. There's no way you would ever tell him or any of the other guys what your idea type is.

"Oh, c'mon. Everyone has a type," Henry responds with a smile. "What's your type?"

"Shupaman," you joke with a scoff. 

Henry laughs. "You know Super Junior has a song called 'Superman', right?" He wiggles his eyebrows jokingly.

You groan. "아니 [Ani]. I haven't heard all your songs yet."

"Well, they're not my songs," he says quietly.

"Aish! I forgot! Stupid only 13 thing," you mutter. Louder you say, "I don't understand that. If I had been here, I would have--!" You take a deep breath.

"What would you have done?" he asks with a smile.

"I would have had a few talks with the managers. I would have been advocating for all 15. I would probably have a lot of netizens hating me, because I wouldn't be silent." You shake your head, knowing that you can't change the past any more than you can predict the future.

Henry scoffs. "Like that would have worked anyway."

"Maybe not, but I'll at least have tried. Crazier things have happened," you say. "Like Super Junior actually lasting this long." You smile, shaking your head.

Henry looks at you, confused. "What do you mean?"

"When I found out that Super Junior was going to be generational, I went right to my father's office and had a looong talk with him about how it needed to be permanent." You chuckle. "He kept telling me that 'O.V.E.R.' was only going to be a generational group and it would be for the best and blah blah blah. I never listened past that part. As soon as he would stop talking, I would jump right back into trying to convince him that it was a stupid idea. Then he would tell me that 'O.V.E.R.' wouldn't last long anyways. He just couldn't see the potential." You shake your head over the memory. "Pabo."

Henry chuckles. "I think I really could've used your help. You still seem irritated over the fact that he didn't listen to you."

You shake your head. "I'm not. I just don't understand people. How can they be so mean? I've read about the whole Only 13 thing and it just makes me mad. Why treat you and Zhoumi that way? There's no point to bully others. Let's say, I listen to that-who was it?- Justin what-ever-his-face-is, and hate him, that doesn't mean I need to bully him and stuff." 

Henry smiles. "You know, what Jaehwa-ah? You're pretty cool. I mean, you haven't been here in--what?-- eight years?" You nod. "Yet, you just embrace Super Junior and its subgroup even though it's not as it used to be at all. Why?"

"Because, you are all my family first and foremost, even you, Zhoumi, and Kyuhyun whom I don't know very well. You guys are all my 형 [hyungs]. Nothing can change that. And even though I've been a terrible ELF thus far, I want to make sure I support all of you from here  on out." You chuckle. "I have a lot to catch up on still."

"One question though," Henry says. "How old are you?"

"25... I mean 26," you chuckle. "Can you tell I've been in the U.S. for eight years?"

Henry grins. "I'm not your 형 [hyung]."

"Huh?"

"I'm your 동생 [dongsaeng]."

"Mwuh?! You're joking, right?"

Henry shakes his head. "I'm 25 in Korean years." He grins. "So, I get to call you 누나  [nuna]..." 

"Aish..."

****

After practicing the song and rap several times, the vocal instructor finds nothing wrong with your work. He suggests that you just practice the song with the dance and have fun and be playful on stage. You acknowledge his notes and he sends you off.

You and Henry bow politely and grab your bags as you exit the room.

Henry turns to you with a grin. "That was easy. Let's go get some lunch..." He pauses for a moment before smirking. "...누나  [nuna]."

"Sounds good, 형제 [hyungjae]," you say, adjusting your baseball cap. 

He chuckles. "You can't use that term. We're not the same age."

"Says who?" you scoff. "The way I see it, in Korean years you're 25 and in American years I'm 25. No difference."

"Whatever you say, 누나  [nuna]."

"Will you stop calling me that?" you retort, glaring at him.

He laughs. "Does 누나  [nuna] not like being older?"

"아니 [Ani]. It's not that. It's just weird when you say it," you scoff.

"How so?" Henry gives you a sideways glance.

"I don't know. It just is," you say with finality.

He shakes his head. "You're a strange one, Jaehwa-ah."

"I try to be."

He chuckles. 

As you both turn a corner, you almost bump into someone. "Excuse me," you say, bowing. You look up and see a familiar face. Henry bows to him. "안녕하세요 [Annyeonghaseyo]."

The middle-aged man responds. "안녕하세요 [Annyeonghaseyo]." He looks at you, his eyes narrowing as if trying to place you. "Excuse me? Have we met before?"

You nod. "네 [Ne]. I'm Jang Jaehwa, Mr. Jang's daughter." You grin. "It's good to see you again, Mr. Song."

"Mr. Jang's daughter? Jaehwa?" He stares at you in disbelief. "Aigoo! It's been a long time. How have you been?"

"Been well. 감사합니다 [Kamsahamnida]. How about yourself?"

"I'm fine. So, you're back in Korea, then... Is your mother here too with you?"

You shake your hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter