Modeling 101 with Choi Siwon

You Are the One (a Super Junior Love Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"No I can't stop thinking about you girl..." you sing as you vacuum the living room on the eleventh floor, having already finished the tenth. You feel your new phone vibrate in your pocket. 

You quickly turn off the vacuum and hear music coming from your jeans.

"Every breath I take, Every move I make

You’re the reason that I live

From the morning dawn, To the setting sun

My life is made to be…

A pleasing offering that praises the king

A living sacrifice that gives you glory

Looking for the day to give you ceaseless praise …Forever

To join all the saints Inside of Heaven’s Gate’s

To be in your embrace, To see Your Holy face

Looking for the day to give you ceaseless praise … Forever." [A/N: "Looking for the Day" sung by Choi Siwon]

 

You pull out the cell phone and look at the screen. Siwon is calling you. You chuckle. He would set that song as the ringtone. You slide your finger across the screen. "He-- I mean Yeoboseyo?"

Siwon chuckles on the other end of the line. "What did you just say?"

"I was about to say 'hello' in English," you reply. "I had to answer the phones a lot at the jobs I had back in America. I guess it's become a habit to say 'hello'. 

"Ah," he responds. "Jaehwa-ah? Could you do something for me?"

"Sure what is it?" you reply, unplugging the vacuum from the wall. 

"I left my script at home," he says. "I have to go do a photo shoot in a little while and then from there I have to go straight to rehearsals for the drama I'm in. I don't think I'll have a chance to run by and get the script before then."

"I can bring it to you. That's no problem," you say putting the vacuum in the closet and heading to your room to get ready and grab your purse.  

"고맙습니다 [Thank you], Jaehwa-ah!" he says. "I think I left the script either on my bed or on the desk in my room. I forget which one, but it should be there somewhere."

"Arasso," you reply, throwing on your baseball cap, jacket, and a scarf.

"I'll text you the location so you can take a cab," he continues. "또 봐요 [ddo bwayo (See you later)]!"

"네 [Ne]," you respond, hanging up the phone and heading out of the door to the stairs. You hurry down the steps to the tenth floor and swipe the card key through the slot. You hurry down the hall passing several doors until you reach a door with Siwon's name on a plaque above it. You turn the knob and enter the room. Without paying any heed to the decor of the room, your eyes dart to the bed to see his script lying there. You snatch it up and head back out into the hallway to the door.

You close the door to the dorm behind you and step over to the elevators. You press the 'down' button and wait for the elevator to arrive. Your phone vibrates in your pocket. You pull it out and find that Siwon has left you a text. You read its contents, learning of the location of the magazine photo shoot. 

You are about to put away your cell, when you remember that you have to call your father. You scroll through your contacts. There's only fifteen numbers in your 'contacts', so it doesn't take long to find "Jang Kwan". You tap on the 'call' button and hold the phone to your ear, waiting for him to pick up.

The elevator doors slide open and you step inside the empty compartment. The doors slide shut as you press '1' on the pad elevator control panel. 

No answer. It just goes to voice mail. You take a deep breath before leaving a message. "안녕하세요 [Annyeonghaseyo]..." you pause. "It's me, Jaehwa. I'm just calling to see if you have some time later this week or next week to come with me to the Han River. You know why..." You're not exactly sure what to say. "...Um, if you need to contact me, this is my new number... Um, just so you know, I'm staying with my old 형 [hyungs] at their dorms. So, please call me back." You hang up quickly, feeling somewhat saddened by the fact that you could not patch things up last time.

The elevator doors slide open and you make your way out of the building to hail a cab.

****

2005.10.05 (October 5, 2005)

You take a sip of your iced chocolate drink, a little whip cream, getting on your lips. You the deliciousness from your lips with contentment.

"Do you think that they're trying to make you more girly?" asks Siwon, before taking a sip of his coffee.

"모르겠어요 [I don't know]," you respond. "It doesn't make any sense. Our group is not supposed to have a girly girl concept. At least that's what I thought until this morning."

"Maybe they messed up?" questions Siwon.

"I doubt it," you say with a sigh. "But I just don't think I will be able to get through this stupid photo shoot.

Siwon thinks for a moment. "I think I heard Sungmin and Ryeowook mention that you've done plays before."

"네 [Ne]. So?" you ask, taking another sip of your drink.

"Did you ever play yourself on stage?" he asks, knitting his eyebrows.

"아니요 [Aniyo], of course not."

"What kind of characters have you played?" he asks with a smile.

"Different ones. I've done a few dramatic roles, but I prefer playing the comedic over-the-top characters." You grin, thinking about some of the ridiculous things you've done in the school plays and talent nights. 

Siwon nods, a grin on his face. "Pretend you're playing a character."

"Huh?" You raise your right eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?"

"When you go back to your photo shoot. Act. Pretend you are a character in a play. Cooperate with them and listen to what they tell you to do. Give them the pictures they want now. Then later, when they see that you are working hard and doing your best, they'll be more likely to listen to you," he reasons. "Then you won't have to wear clothes that don't match your concept." He grins as he says the later part. 

You ponder over what he says for a moment, mulling over the words while you take another gulp of your coffee. You set down your drink with a sigh of determination. "You know? I like the way you think. I'm going to do that, Siwon-ssi!" You take another swig of your coffee, sighing with satisfaction as you set down your now empty mug. "I'm going to have fun with this." You chuckle.

****

Present Day:

You find yourself in a room filled with cameras, lights, and all sorts of props and pieces. A few people dressed in all black, hustle around getting some of the set pieces arranged. Others adjust lighting. A couple women are off to the side, putting some touch up powder on a familiar face. You grin, recognizing Choi Siwon.

"What? What do you mean 'she can't make it'?!" You turn and see a man standing a few feet away wearing thick rimmed glasses and a black beret. He seems to be absorbed into the conversation over his cell phone. His voice raises louder, casuing some of the otheres in the studio to turn to glance in his direction.

You walk towards Siwon, as the makeup artists finish up their handiwork. "Jaehwa-ah!" he calls with a smile as he sees you approach.  "안녕 [Annyeong]!" He bows politely to you.

You return the bow. "안녕 [Annyeong]!" You raise yourself back up and hold out his script."Here you are, 형 [hyung]." The makeup artists gawk at you with wide eyes at your impertinence. You bite the inside of your lower lip to keep from laughing at their facial expressions. 

"감사 [Kamsa (Thanks)]!" he says, taking it gratefully with a bow. 

"Mr. Choi?" you hear a voice behind you say, coming nearer. You step to the side, bowing as the man with the beret and glasses approaches. 

Siwon bows to him. "네 [Ne]?"

"Do you think we could reschedule the photo shoot for this afternoon? The model we hired has come down with the flu and we will have to find another to replace her." His eyes dart over to you. "Who's this?" he asks, eyeing you up and down, quickly.

"Jang Jaehwa, sir," you reply, bowing your head.

"Mr. Yoon," he responds, bowing his head in return.

Siwon speaks up. "Mr. Yoon, I have to apologize, but I have rehearsals later. I can't reschedule for this afternoon, but maybe another day this week?"

Mr. Yoon shakes his head. "Not possible. We need the pictures today in order to meet our deadline." He glances back at you, seeming to ponder something. "Have you ever modeled before, Miss Jang?"

The question takes you by surprise. "Mwoh? Uh..."

"She has," answers Siwon for you.

"But--" you begin, trying to formulate the words.

"It was awhile ago, but I believe she would still be great," Siwon addresses Mr. Yoon. 

Mr. Yoon looks at you moment, his eyes narrowed. "You have modeled before?"

"I have been in photo shoots before," you respond.

He nods, a smile forming across his face. "Excellent. We'll give you a shot." He turns abruptly to his left. "Mrs. Go! Will you help Miss Jang and get her ready for the photo shoot. She shall be taking Miss Han's place today."

A medium height woman with her hair dyed a redish brown approaches. "네 [Ne]. Right away, sir." She bows and then straightens up. "This way, Miss Jang." 

You shoot Siwon a what-did-you-just-get-me-into look. He bows his head slighlty with a smile. You glare back at him. He raises a fist up, mouthing the word "fighting".

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter