Chapter Five

With Them (Sequel to With Her)

Diane had just got inside the building with the twins. She fetched them right after she receives Joo In’s call that she can’t pick up the twins.

“Aunt Diane, is Mommy taking pictures again?” Andy asked when they walked at the lobby to the elevator.

“DIANE!” a voice called her from behind. Diane stopped and looked at her co-worker who is waving at her.

Together with the twins, they went to the said person.

Diane soon got into a lengthy conversation with the staff.

Janine just stood beside them looking up the two while Andy tried to find someone whom he can talk to.

Just in time, Mr. Lee So Man came inside with his secretary. Andy looked at him and ran to meet the busy old man.

 

“Ahjussi! Ahjussi!” he called running after the president. He stopped in front of him.

The old man looked down at Andy’s little figure, “Yes?” he replied.

“Do you work here?” he asked.

“Ne, I actually own this place, why do you ask?” the old man knelt down so he can look at the kid in eye level.

“Really? You own this big, big building? Wow!” Andy looked at the old man in fascination.

“How about you? What is a little boy doing in here?” he asked Andy.

“My Mommy works in here! She takes picture of beautiful girls!” the little boy replied.

“Really?” the president nodded.

“Sir, we got a busy schedule ahead,” his secretary reminded him.

“I know, but do you see the potential of this little boy?” he said looking at Andy.

“Ahjussi, is your office big? Like you have chairs and a big table and a big widow and a big TV and it is air conditioned?” Andy rambled.

“Why yes! How did you know?” Mr. Lee So Man replied.

“Because Mommy said that you have an office like that. I want to have an office like that too!” Andy exclaimed.

“Do you go to school?” the old man asked.

“Yes! And I have three stars today! I will show it to Luhan Appa when we get to their room downstairs,” Andy presented the three stars.

The old man smiled, “Now I understand why he looks familiar, he looks like Luhan of Exo.”

“What’s the name of your mother?” he asked Andy.

“Jane,” the little boy replied.

“Well, let’s meet again. I need to attend a meeting so this building can be more beautiful,” the old man patted the little boy’s head.

Andy smiled back and ran back to Diane.

“I want to meet that Jane,” he told his secretary as they alight the elevator.

 

“Where did you go?” Janine asked when Andy came back.

“I talked to the old man who owns this big, big building,” Andy replied.

Diane who caught up Andy’s phrase looked at the little boy, “What?” she asked forgetting her co-worker.

“Excuse me for a while,” she excused herself from her co-worker.

“Ok, I need to go to. See you around,” she said and left the three.

“Andy, what did you said?” Diane asked again.

“I talked to the old man who owns this big, big building,” Andy replied.

“Mister Lee So Ma? Where? When?” Diane frantically asked.

Andy who got startled looked up Diane with confusion.

“Ok, let’s get this done. Let’s go to your mother so we can verify that matter,” Diane said and pulled the twins alight the elevator.

 

They soon arrived at the studio where Joo In is having her photo shoot.

“You stay here okay? We will talk about that old man you had just talked to,” Diane said as she went near Joo In.

“Ok! That’s all! Thank you for the hard work!” Joo In bowed her head at the other staffs. She went to her stuff checking the pictures.

“Joo In,” Diane whispered when she got near her.

“What?” Joo In calmly replied still busy on checking the pictures.

“Would you stop that for a while and listen to me?” she let Joo In face her.

“Your son talked to the president,” Diane said. Joo In looked at her.

“Are you listening?” she asked at the dazed Joo In.

“Did you just say the president?” She asked Diane.

Diane nodded back, “Yes,” she replied.

Joo In looked behind Diane to check on her son, “This is bad,” she whispered.

 

Joo In brought her kids with her at the canteen while Diane stays back at the studio to do some small editing on the photos. They ordered lunch for the twins while Joo In had a serve of bubble tea.

“Jane,” a staff from the studio came over their table.

“Oh, yes?” she looked up the male staff.

“The director received an order from the president. He wants to meet you,” he said at the shocked lady.

“Me? The president wants to see me? Not the director?” she asked in disbelief.

“Yes, and bring along your kids. He wants to see them too,” the male staff added.

“He will not fire me for bringing my kids in here right?” she asked.

The male staff shrugged his shoulder and left their table.

She grabbed her phone and sent a text to their director that her kids are having lunch and that they will get there later.

 

When they are done with the lunch, she guided the twins back to the elevator. Instead of pressing their floor number, she pressed the topmost. Quick as she is, Janine noticed it.

“Mommy, you should press five,” she looked up at her mother.

“Yes dear, but we will meet a friend of mine,” she replied, smiling down at the little girl.

The ride soon got crowded when the elevator stopped on the other floors. When it’s almost at the top, they were then left alone on the closed four sided cart.

*TING*

The door slid open.

 She held her children’s hands as they went to the farthest room on the hallway. She opened the door and saw the Secretary’s desk.

When the male secretary saw her, he stood up and bowed his head, “The President had been expecting you,” he said.

“I’m sorry for the delay. I can’t let my children skip lunch,” she replied.

“It’s alright. The President has been informed, shall we proceed?” the secretary gestured over the large double door.

 

This is not the place where she heard those remarks five years ago. It was on one of the head’s office down. Getting inside this prestigious office is an honor and at the same times a threat for her.

She felt Janine’s hold on her grew tighter. She squeezed back in assurance. Andy on the other hand seems oblivious of their where about.

When they got inside, the secretary announced their presence.

“Sir, they are already here,” he said.

 

Behind a large table, the black swivel chair turned.

The same face five years ago, it’s just that it aged a little.

“Welcome, please have a sit,” he welcomed the three. The secretary closed the door startling Joo In and Janine.

Andy recognized the old man, “Ahjussi!” and he ran to get near the old man.

“Andy!’ the old man reached to give the little boy a hug.

Joo In felt rooted on her place when she saw her son act like that on the president.

When Mr. Lee noticed the two still standing near the door, he gestured to the seats, “You don’t plan on standing there all day right?” he smiled.

Joo In, as if awakened, walked over the chair.

“Ahjussi, can I play on your living room?” Andy pouted at the old man who smiled back.

The little boy gave a jump and pulled Janine, “Come! Let’s play!” he offered pulling the hesitant Janine.

Joo In gave her a nod as if assuring her that it’s alright.

The old man pressed the intercom, “Kindly plug in the PSP on my TV. The kids want to play,” he instructed.

The secretary got inside a moment after and helped the twin on the PSP that soon they were already engrossed on it.

 

“I would like to know why you would want to see me,” Joo In asked.

“I was intrigued to see who Andy’s mother is. Based on your resume, you graduated with flying colors, earned distinctive awards with your photography skills and had a three years experience working on most fashion magazines in Europe. What an accomplishment!” Mr. Lee smiled at her.

“Thank you,” Joo In smiled.

“I would like to know one thing though,” he asked again.

“What is it?”

“You’re registered name here in Jane Han. You were born here in Korea so what is your birth name?”

Joo In smiled, “I am Han Joo In.”

The surprise from the old man’s face was evident but he tried to compose himself.

“I see we meet again,” he smiled.

The silence that ensued was awkward.

The only evident sound was from the large screen the twins are using.

 

“So why would you call for me?” she asked again.

“I had received outstanding feedbacks regarding the shoot you always cover. I am honored that you preferred to work in my company,” he replied.

“It was never my intention to do so. I was just informed by my cousin that I got admitted in your company. He is the one who sent my resume. I had no time to argue and refuse so I just accepted it. Besides, my kids want to see Korea so badly,” she narrated.

“Yes, I can see that,” Mr. Lee spared a look at the twins playing.

“I have a proposition for you,” he said looking at her.

She looked back, “I am flattered to hear that.’

 

“The Exo will soon have their comeback. The album is all set but we are still working on the concept of how the album should look like. I would want you to cover the photo shoot,” he smiled.

Joo In smiled back, “I had been anticipating that. I know what a great honor would it be to work with them but with all due respect, I refuse,” she gave a little bow.

Mr. Lee stared at her for a moment, “Are you sure? That would be such a loss on your part!”

“I know, but I would not take the risk either to get involved again with one of them. I hope you still remember what we had agreed upon five years ago,” she said.

*FLASHBACK* (CHAPTER XXVII, PART I, WITH HER)

 

“I would like to personally approach you about my intention of breaking ties with Luhan, with one condition though,” she looked straight into the old man’s eyes.

“Let’s hear it,” he crossed his arms returning the look.

Joo In took a deep breath. “I would be leaving sooner for my scholarship. I will then finish my photography course. Don’t worry; I don’t have any more plans on coming back. But if it so happens that I get back, got accepted in your company, I would always refuse to cover any boy band for their photo shoot. Will it be fair enough?” she looked expectantly at the old man.

Mr. Lee smiled, “Very well. That is, if you intend on working here, which I doubt will come true any sooner.”

Joo In gave a nod.

With that very brief discussion, Mr. Lee left her on that small office. When she saw the old man disappear on the corner, she broke down in tears.

 

*END OF FLASHBACK*

 

The old man gave an assessing nod, “I see,”

“And it was never my intention to go back in Korea. Just as what I had told you, it was my cousin who submitted my resume,” she added.

Mr. Lee nodded again, “That would explain why your son said that you take pictures of beautiful girls,” he chuckled.

Joo In smiled, looking at her son, who is busy playing with Janine.

“You only do photo shoot?” Mr. Lee asked again.

“No, I also work as a model for some magazines,” she replied.

“That’s great! So how would it be if I ask you to let your kids be my new trainees?”

“Not to disappoint you or anything but I would respectfully refuse the offer.”

Mr. Lee looked startled by her response, “Why?”

“I know you would say that it is a rare opportunity but I don’t want to expose my kids into the entertainment world in their young age. I accept only those advertising magazines but they must be with me. I want them to live a normal life, go to school and finish whatever course they would choose. But if they decided to join the entertainment world when they grow up, I would gladly accept their decision about it,” she calmly replied.

 

“So, their father knows already about them?” Mr. Lee asked again.

“I am sad to say that he knows nothing about them and I intend to keep it that way,” she replied.

“But your son said a while ago down at the lobby that he will show his stars on his ‘Luhan Appa’, would that mean something?”

“I am aware that every time they come here after school they would go straight down at the boys practice room, but I didn’t informed any of my kids that he is their father,” she replied again.

“But sooner, they will know that he is their father. Why not introduce them to him?” he asked.

“Thanks for the concern, but I believe that you made it clear that you would not want any of the boys committed. You even got mad on him and their manager about the marriage,” she reminded him.

“Yes, I know. But that was because I was not informed. I would have agreed on the wedding if they had given a notice beforehand,” he explained.

“I am glad to hear that, but nothing can bring back the past. If you don’t have any more things to discuss with me, I would like to leave. I still have to meet some co-workers to decide on the photo shoot we had just finished,” she stood up and bowed her head.

“Janine, Andy, come in here. We need to go already,” she called over the twins.

The twins whined, “But Mommy! We want to play!” Andy protested.

“Don’t worry, I will send you another PSP set, will that be okay with you?” Mr. Lee who had already stood up looked at the twins.

“Really? Thank you Ahjussi!” Andy ran up to him and hugged him.

“That’s my early gift for the twin’s birthday,” he said looking up at Joo In.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Joo In grabbed her phone and dialed a number when they are already at the lobby. “Hello?”

There was silence as she listens on her phone.

“Yes, the twins will be there later. We just had to meet some old friend.”

Then she stopped before she finally ends the call.

“Mommy can we go down to Kris gege?” Janine looked up at her.

“Sure! As long as you come back before four okay?” she smiled down at her daughter.

Janine eagerly nodded as she sends a knowing smile to her little brother.

 

When the twins finally came inside the practice room of the boys, Chanyeol welcomed them.

“Janine! Andy!” he knelt down to give them a hug.

“Channie Appa!” Andy exclaimed hugging back. He had a hard time pronouncing his name so he resorts to Channie instead of Chanyeol.

Janine hugged him back. When they parted, the twins proceeds on giving each of the boys their hugs.

They finally settled down beside Luhan. Kris had to talk to Suho regarding some matters thus letting Janine stay with Luhan.

“Luhan Appa, Mommy, Janine and I went up to Ahjussi to his big office!” Andy exclaimed.

“Really? What did you do in there?” he asked.

“We played on the big, big TV! He said he will give us one of it,” he narrated.

“Wow! Then we could visit your house and play in there,” Luhan replied.

Andy nodded and reached t show his stars, “I got three today!” he proudly presented them.

Janine was just sitting beside them watching the others practice.

Luhan smiled and patted Andy’s head, “That’s a good thing. Keep collecting stars and I will give you a gift if you collect many more.”

“Really? Thank you Luhan Appa!” he jumped and hugged him.

For some unknown reasons, Luhan feels at ease and that certain attachment towards the little boy as he hugged him back.