Chapter Eleven

With Them (Sequel to With Her)

The twins arrived that afternoon surprisingly with their bags. After giving their hug to the boys, they pulled out something from their bags and laid out a notebook sized card with a few pages.

The Exo M had been away for days for some promotions in China and is due to be back today.

“What is that?” Kyungsoo asked as he sits beside the twins.

“We are making a card for Mommy,” Janine smiled at him as she starts to color a part of the page they are doing.

“Can I check it?” he asked again.

Andy gladly gave him the card as he inspects it with such interest.

“Who drew this?” he asked smiling at the twin’s drawing.

“Andy draws while I color them,” Janine replied.

“Do you want me to help?” he asked as the twins gladly gave a nod.

 

Kyungsoo started helping the twins which brought curiosity among the others since they are working on the farthest corner. They all gathered up to see what the three had been doing.

“What is that?” Suho asked looking down at the three.

“They are making a card for their mother,” Kyungsoo replied as he cuts some colored paper.

“Why would you give your mother a card?” Sehun replied, bending on one knee to see it closely.

“Because today is Mommy’s birthday,” Janine replied without looking up at them.

“What’s the date today?” Kai asked.

Chanyeol replied, “Fifth of October.”

 

They all turned to look at him, “What?” Chanyeol asked, surprised at their gesture.

“What was Joo In’s birthday?” Baekhyun asked.

“October five,” Chanyeol replied looking back at them. It took him a moment to realize what the others had been thinking.

“But it is possible that they may have the same birthdays, I mean, coincidence,” Chanyeol tries to smile at his co-members.

“Then it’s a coincidence too that she just happen to look like Joo In,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Why don’t you just help in here?” Kyungsoo asked, looking up at them.

The others agreed and soon formed a busy circle with the twins.

 

They cut colored papers with different shapes and pasted pictures of the twins and their mother which the twins provided. They even made a collage of their own on the other pages, but of course with the twins. Sehun and Kai were the ones who printed those pictures in rush. After pasting them, they started decorating it. They let the twins label the figures before they made the twins write their message on the space provided for it. They all affixed their signature on the last page before giving it to the twins.

 

“D.O Appa, when will Luhan Appa arrive?” Andy asked, pouting at the big-eyed lad.

“Today, they will arrive,” he smiled down at the little boy.

Andy gave a satisfied smile as he flips on the finished product of their labor.

Janine is playing the Monopoly board game again with the rest of the Exo K members while Kyungsoo decided to stay beside Andy.

 

A quarter past two, the door got opened as the Exo M members poured in with their stuffs.

“You proceeded here the moment you arrived?” Kyungsoo asked who noticed them first. Andy and Janine immediately stood and ran to meet Kris and Luhan.

The others stood there waiting for the twins to part from the two so they can have their welcome hug from the two. When the welcome hugs were done, they all proceeded to the things the M members bought for them. The twins received a small twin panda bear from their Luhan Appa.

The M members noticed the card slipped on Andy’s bag.

 

“What’s that?” Chen asked pointing to the card.

“Today’s their Mommy’s birthday so they planned on giving her a card. We helped them finish it,” Baekhyun smiled at Andy.

“Kris gege, you should greet her!” Tao exclaimed, “She became your partner in the recent pictorial so you must at least buy her a cake or something,” he added.

“I really don’t have any idea about her birthday. But will it be fine?” he looked at the others. They replied with a nod.

“So we will all surprise her?” he asked again.

“Aniyo! You and the twins will surprise her,” Suho replied.

“Me? But that’s unfair!”

“And it will be awkward for her if we all surprise her. It’s not like we all had a pictorial with her,” Xiumin rolled his eyes.

 

Andy and Janine looked up at Kris, “You will surprise Mommy? You will buy a cake?” they asked in unison.

Kris blinked back at the twins before looking at his co-members.

When he looked again at the twins, they are looking expectantly at him. He gave a warm smile, “Arasseo, we will buy a cake for your Mommy and we will surprise her.”

The twins jumped up with joy. Andy ran up to Luhan, “Appa, you will come with us?” he asked.

Everyone turned to look at Luhan. He gave a nervous laugh, “Aniyo, your Luhan Appa needs to rest. Just wish me a happy birthday to your Mommy okay?”

“Where’s your gift for Mommy?”

The question surprised him, even the others.

“Gift?” he asked the little boy who nodded eagerly.

He sighed and reached for his bag. He pulled out a rectangular red box wrapped with a silver ribbon.

 

“Woah! You know that it is their Mommy’s birthday?” Lay pointed at the gift.

“Aniyo, I bought this since today is Joo In’s birthday,” he sighed.

Andy reached for the gift and smiled at Luhan, “I will tell Mommy that Luhan Appa bought this gift for Mommy,” then placed the gift on his bag.

 

Right after that, Kris and the twins went to get Diane so they all can buy a cake for Joo In. Diane was also shocked to remember that she was supposed to buy Joo In a gift so she agreed on the proposal that they will surprise her in her office.

 

After an hour, they are all standing outside Joo In’s office. Diane slowly knocked the door.

“Come in,” came Joo In’s answer from the inside.

Before opening it, Diane held up her small video camera then they started singing as they slowly goes inside to meet the shocked Joo In.

Kris is holding the cake and sings together with the twins.

 

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday, happy birthday,

Happy birthday Mommy.

 

Kris  approached her, “Make a wish before you blow your candles,” he smiled.

“I’ll make three. I’ll tell you the first two and I will keep the third. First, I wish that my babies will get more stars and bring home a gold medal at the end of the year. Second, I wish all the best for their Daddy and that he will soon join us,” then she bowed down her head as she made a silent wish before she blows her candles.

 

After blowing the candles, the twins approached her and handed her the card.

“Happy birthday Mommy,” they greeted her and kissed her on both cheeks.

Joo In hugged her twins before she opened the card. The first page was the twin’s scribbles of ‘Happy Birthday Mommy’. The second page is Andy’s drawing of 3 stick figures with heads of cut out pictures of her and her kids and labeled with their names. The second page was another kind but with Janine’s labels. It was twelve stick figures, six on each side with two small ones in the center. The Exo members were labeled on each figure and with the heads of the members cut out pictures too.

Joo In is unaware of Diane recording her as she flips the cards.

“Baby, who are these?” Joo In asks the twins.

Andy approached her first and points to the Exo M members, “This is Luhan Appa beside me, Chen Appa, Lay Appa, Tao Appa and Xiumin Appa, and Kris Appa too,” he smiled at his mother and to Kris who is already seated on one of the chairs after putting the cake down the table. He is also watching Joo In flipping the card.

 

Janine then approached her, pointing out the Exo K members.

“This is D.O Appa beside me, Sehunnie Appa, Channie Appa, Kai Appa, Khyunnie (Baekhyun) Appa and Suho Appa,” she smiled at her mother too.

The next page is for Drew and Diane in which the stick figures were labeled as Uncle and Aunty. The last page brought tears to her eyes.

It was four stick figures but it was clearly a family picture. The two small ones were between the two big ones. The labels were ‘Daddy’, ‘Mommy’, ‘Andy’, and ‘Janine’. There are no cut out pictures, just plain drawing.

 

Fresh tears streamed down her eyes. Andy reached up to wipe the tears, “Mommy, Janine and I made a letter for you. Janine will read it.”

Janine reached for a paper on her pocket. She unfolds it as Diane stood at the sides to cover them perfectly

“Dear Mommy,” Janine started, “Happy birthday to you. Andy and I made the card and we hope you like it. Andy and I promise to be good kids so that Mommy will not get mad. We will make our bed when we wake up and will do our assignments and will study always. We promise to bring home more stars so that when Daddy comes back, he will be very proud of Andy and me. Mommy and Daddy love Janine, Mommy and Daddy loves Andy and Andy and Janine loves Mommy and Daddy.”

 

When she was done reading it, Joo In felt a stab in her chest as tears rolled down her eyes. It’s heartbreaking to see her kids long like that for their father. She reached for them and hugged them. When she parted, Kris reached to give her his hanky. “What a lucky man their Daddy is,” he said as he patted the two at the head. Andy suddenly remembers the gift he got from Luhan. He got his bag and pulled out the red box and handed it to his mother.

“Mommy, Luhan Appa wishes you a happy birthday. Here is Luhan Appa’s gift,” he smiled.

Joo In looked at Kris and is still unsure if she would accept it.

“Oh come on Jane! It’s a gift,” Diane said as she draws near them to capture the gift.

 

She finally accepts it and slowly opens the gift. It was silver bracelet with an inscription that read, ‘Forever with you.’ Kris reached for it and puts it around her wrist, “Just accept it as a gift from Luhan,” and gave her a meaningful smile. Diane drew near to have a close up of the bracelet.

“Mommy, let’s eat the cake,” Janine interrupted them as Joo In mused over the bracelet. They let out a laugh as Diane finishes the recording. “I want a copy of that,” Kris whispered over Diane who nodded back.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

It’s been days since Joo In’s birthday. The twins, as always, come to them every afternoon. It was still early and the boys are in the midst of memorizing the choreography of another dance during their break when Kai the TV. He switches on different channel but stopped on a certain one which airs Joo In’s interview.

“Guys, look! It’s Jane!” he called them as they all gather up to watch.

 

In the show

 

Interviewer: So how was the pictorial?

Jane: It was refreshing for me. It’s actually the first time I would do such thing with my kids.

Interviewer: Is it your kids’ first time to do an endorsement?

Jane: Yeah, it’s their first and probably the last.

Interviewer: Why is that?

Jane:  It’s not that I don’t want them to appear in the magazine but as much as possible I want them to lead a normal life. They are still too young to be in such world. If they plan in the future to join the entertainment industry then that’s when I would allow them and have my full support.

Interviewer: So you do have plans on letting them join the industry?

Jane: If they want to join.

 

Their manager called them up, “Break’s over! Get back to practice now,” he said.

“Just a minute hyung,” Chanyeol replied, still glued on the screen.

 

Interviewer: You are a single Mom? You are divorced?

Jane: Aniyo! (shows the ring) My husband is actually busy on some business matters abroad that’s why many thinks that I am a single mother.

Interviewer: So the rumors about you being a single Mom is false, you are still married. In your biography, it is stated that you finished your profession abroad and even worked there for three years, what pushed you to come and work here in Korea?

Jane:  Actually, I have no plans on returning but I was just shocked when I received a letter telling me that I am accepted in the company. It turns out that my cousin was the one who sent my resume. I want to decline but the offer is tempting and beside my kids wants to see Korea so badly.

Interviewer: If you would be offered again to return to Europe, will you return there?

Jane:  I don’t think I can. My children may not like the idea too and besides Korea is my birthplace.

Interviewer: Are you open to some offers like doing a movie perhaps?

Jane: Why not? I mean, that would be great. I am not just recognized as a photographer but also an actress? My children will love it to see me on the big screen. (laughs)

“Come on! You will not get anything from there,” their manager called for the second time.

“Just a few more minutes hyung,” Baekhyun begged.

 

Interviewer: How was it working with Kris of Exo?

Jane: It’s quite an honor. It’s not like every day you get to work with a famous idol. (smiles)

Interviewer: Did you encounter some problems during the pictorial?

Jane: The pictorial was flawless. I find it amazing to know that the kids like him. It made the pictorial easier especially during the family scenes.

Interviewer: How about the couple scene? We heard that Kris finds it awkward at first to hug you.

Jane:  Well, I think that’s normal since it’s our first time to work together so it will be awkward of course. But since we have to finish it, I guess he had overcome the feeling.

Interviewer: For the last question which everyone is wishing to know, what is your birth name?

Jane: (Smiles) My birth name is-

The screen suddenly went black. Everyone groaned when they saw their manager holding up the switch.

“Hyung, we are down to the last part,” Luhan looked at their manager.

“I know but I had already extended your break so back to practice,” he said putting down the switch.

 

When he is already out the door, Sehun plugged it and the TV again. They all sighed in frustration when they saw Joo In promoting the magazine already.

“Hyung is such a kill joy,” Kyungsoo sighed as he stood up to warm up. The rest followed as Chanyeol turns off the TV

 

Even though they lost the last part, they still managed to finish the practice. They all then went up to their dressing room to change and get their other stuffs before they return to the practice room to wait for the twins.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Joo In is busy scanning the folder her manager handed her. It contains some information regarding her next project. Since she is too occupied, she again turned to the first door when she turned around a corner. She smiled as she leans on the door. She heard it click. She looked up and noticed something.

‘I don’t have this many mirrors, and what’s with the make-ups?’ she thought.

 

Just then, Luhan emerges from the Restroom on the far left, wiping his hair with a towel. Her eyes widened when she realized that she is again on the wrong room. She stood rooted to the ground as she watches Luhan get to his bag.

Luhan noticed her and looked over the towel. When their eyes met, she immediately turned around and started turning the knob. Unlucky as she is, it barely budges.

 

“That door always gets stuck. You have to wait for someone to open it from the outside,” she heard Luhan speak. She swallowed as sweats starts to form in her forehead.

‘This is not what I wish. I don’t want to be stuck in a room with him,’ she thought as she felt butterflies getting wild in her tummy.

She didn’t turned around to look at him, just had her back on him. She starts typing a text message for Diane, but before she could send it, the two of them heard the door got unlocked and got slowly opened.

When it’s already open, there stood Luke, the producer she met when they signed contracts with Kris for the magazine.

 

“You look like you are relieved to see me,” Luke said when he saw her sigh. Luhan looked at the guy and tries to assess him by looks. He just stood there and watched them.

“I was about to call my friend since Luhan and I got stuck in this room. The door got crazy,” she smiled back.

“The company must repair this. It’s not good to have doors like this,” he said and looked over Luhan.

 

“Jane, will you please check these photos Mr. Cha gave me?’ Luhan called over her, startling her too.

‘How did he know my manager’s name?’ she thought.

“I guess your friend really needs you. See you around,” Luke smiled again at her before he left.

Joo In sighed, but as she was to turn around, she felt Luhan closely behind him. She felt him whisper, “I can see that the bracelet fits you well. Word of advice, stay away from him. He smells like trouble,” then went past her leaving a lingering scent.

 

The only word that registered to her mind is ‘fits’ since her heart kept on hammering inside her chest. His perfume made her go dizzy as if he is still there closely behind her. That crucial distance made her weak as she tries to calm her heart and her breathing.