Shirt

I will protect you

The clock strikes 4 pm and Doojoon was already on his way to the place he planned to go since the very morning after he left Cinocup.

 

He put both his hands inside his pockets and looked at the clothes store. He went inside and immediately walked towards the women’s section. While looking through the clothes, a sales girl came over “May I help you?”

 

“Neh. I’m looking for something nice for a girl in her early twenties” the lady suggested a few shirts to him and paid for the shirt he picked. He arrived to Cinocup at exactly 5pm and saw you backing off the counter and went to the back room.

 

He knows you’ll soon go out from the shop so he just waited for you outside the store. The door flung opens and came out you, walking to the opposite direction to where he is standing.

 

“Yong ____________” he called. You turned around, expecting one of your coworkers but you see no one you know so you kept walking. Doojoon saw you still wearing the Cinocup shirt, instead of the shirt you wore in the morning, the shirt with the spilled coffee. He noticed the bag you carry and guessed that your shirt is inside.

 

“Yong ____________” your name was called again but this time, a hand is placed on your shoulder. You turned around and surprised to see an unknown man holding you. It made you scared, thinking that he is one of your father’s minions.

 

“N-n-neh?” you stuttered.

 

“I’m so sorry for what happened this morning, it wasn’t your fault that the coffee spilled. I should have been more careful in holding the cups and also I’m sorry I let you pay for the second coffee but I paid it anyways so you wouldn’t have to”

 

You blinked in confusion and settled down your thinking. “Its okay” you bowed and were about to walk away and head home. When you felt his hand touching your hand, you stopped your tracks and looked at your hand which is now carrying the bag he carried.

 

“I don’t understand” you said. “I bought you a new shirt in exchange for the coffee stained one in your bag”

 

“How do you know it’s in my bag?”

 

“Where else are you going to put it to bring it back home so you can wash it?”

 

“Thank you for the shirt but I really cannot accept this” you held the bag to him.

 

“But I sincerely bought it for you because I feel really guilty. Please just keep it” he pushed your hand back to you softly.

 

“But I can’t bring this home, my dad will…” you trailed off. “I shouldn’t say anything about my dad to him. I don’t know him that well and I don’t trust him too” you thought.

 

“What about your dad?” he asked.

 

“Ah, aniya. Thank you. I should head home before… ah never mind” you almost slipped the word. You quickly walked away from him before he questions you more. “Pabo _________. Why are you being like this? You’ve been able to endure your feelings all this time and what just happened? You almost tell him about you! You would be dead if he knows about your dark family” you were talking to yourself silently.

 

“That girl… she can’t even finish her sentence properly” Doojoon looked at you walking away. “She doesn’t seem to be someone who tells people about her life easily. Hmm, somehow this makes me so curios. Should I follow her?”

 

You arrived to your house and saw your father’s car. He surely is home. You walked to the closed front door and it opens. Your father was standing in front of you now. You bowed to him.

 

“You’re a bit late today. What is that you’re holding? You went shopping? Get in” as soon as you went in, he exploded “I allowed you to work in that stupid coffee shop just so you can earn your own money and use it for good but you went shopping for clothes instead and even went home late! Are you starting to rebel??”

 

“Aniyo appa” you shook your head strongly. “I didn’t buy this, someone bought it for me”

 

“Is my little _____________ having friends?” it sounds so sarcastically mean.

 

“I don’t know him appa but he accidentally spilled his coffee on me when I opened the door so he bought a new shirt to made up for it” you explained quickly before your father could stop you in the middle.

 

“So it’s a guy…” he trailed off. “It-it’s nothing like what you’re thinking. I seriously do not know him. I swear appa”

 

“Be quiet! Go to your room and clean the mess your brothers made”

 

“Neh appa” you bowed 90 degree and walked away.

 

“Junhyung!” your father yelled. “Neh appa” your brother came.

 

“I want you to find out more about this man who bought _________ the shirt”

 

Not a single person knows that Doojoon actually followed you home. He parked not far away to your house but close enough to see you standing in front of the window, washing the dishes and sighing.

 

“Does she not smile?” Doojoon asked himself as he hasn’t seen you smile. “Is she not happy even when she’s at home?”

 

“What a weird kid” he said to himself and started his car. Suddenly the door to his side opened and he got pulled outside his car. He was punched really hard by surprise and he fell to the ground.

 

“Never come back here again. Do not go anywhere near ____________. I saw you following her” said the man in the mask who punched Doojoon.

 

“Now leave while you still can” said the masked man and left the scene.

 

Doojoon went up to his feet and looked around to find the man but he disappeared. Doojoon went into the car and locked the door. “That was really weird. What is up with Yong ___________ and her family?” Doojoon thought as he drives back home.