Work and promises

I will protect you

“Welcome to Cinocup” you bowed with a wide smile to the two female customers who just entered the shop. You are the barista and also the cashier in a coffee shop named Cinocup where you have been working there for almost 3 years.

 

“_________, isn’t your shift over?” your co-worker, Yeoseob, asked. You slightly bowed to him and answered “Thank you for reminding me” as you tried to smile. Going back home is always the very bottom on your list. You don’t want to go back home because you don’t know what awaits you there and all you know is that you will have to serve and be mocked as you hope you won’t get beaten or touched.

 

You went to the changing room to change your shirt before walking out from the shop and make your way home with both your hands inside your coat’s pocket on each side, taking your leisure time as you won’t be able to breathe comfortably at home soon.

 

Your family is a basically a gangster except for your mother and you who chose a different path and have different thinking than the other family members. Your mother had always been the one protecting you from any harm your father and siblings do but ever since she passed away 5 years ago, your whole life has been tragic.

 

You were forced to serve your family every day and you also have to earn your own money unlike your brother. It is because your father has his own principle that any children of his should join a part in his business as soon as they turn 18 but you refuse and your mother helped you in getting away from your father’s punishment for rejecting his order.

 

Your brother however is envy of you for not having to participate in the cruel job and always have your mother backing you up. You are the youngest in the family and your mother couldn’t stand to let her youngest daughter to be involved in the gangster. She have always regretted for not being able to do the same to your brother but your brother has been brainwashed by your father.

 

Your mother passed away on the exact day you turned 18, you were devastated. Ever since then, you lived your life like a slave under your father and your brother. Your father initially planned to take you into the business after the death of your mother made your father promised to not turn you into a gangster, before she died. So your father just made you his slave instead. And now you’re 23.

 

You stopped your tracks as you stand in front of your house lawn. This is it.

 

You went inside the house and suddenly you feel gloomy. The house is empty which is a good thing but you just don’t feel safe. You went to your room, put down your back pack next to your bed and plunked yourself on your bed.

 

“I might just take my rest whenever I can in this house” you thought to yourself. You then jumped up from bed and walked to the bathroom to wash your face with cold water.

 

“But I can never feel relax as long as I’m in this house” again you thought. You dried your face by patting a small towel gently on your face and then you tied up your hair and start to prepare dinner before the others arrive. “I promise myself that my life will get better eventually” you tell yourself with your eyes closed and both hands placed on your chest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“NO! you have to because I order you to do so” a man trying to control his volume talking to his only son.

 

“Yeobo, stay calm. We don’t want the staff outside to hear” the man’s wife patted her husband’s shoulders swiftly.

 

“Appa. I don’t have time to do that with all the work I have to handle” the son spoke.

 

“Doojoon ah, we can help you with that. Just leave it to omma”

 

“Aniya omma, you know how picky I am and besides, you don’t know my style” Doojoon winked and put on his sunglasses. “I believe this conversation is over” he kissed his mom’s cheek and walked out of the room nonchalanty as his assistant closed the door.

 

“We never win anything to that kid” Mr. Yoon shakes his head.

 

Doojoon however went into the empty elevator and as the door was about to close, a hand interfered and the door came opened. His assistant was in front of the elevator and he went it quickly.

 

“Sir, it has already been a year you delayed your parents plan” he said.

 

“I know. I’m actually not ready for that life, I’m still young!” Doojoon replied and went out from the elevator with his assistant by his side. He always has the assistant following him around. He demand to have his assistant with him all the time except from when he is at home. No one has ever been to his home. He wants the home only to himself and he treats it like his escape place, escape from work and other stuff. Not even his parents have stepped in his house.

 

He walked past by his workers as they bow to their boss. Yoon Doojoon is the boss for the Aria Company, his father gave him the responsibility one year ago with a condition that Doojoon promised to fulfill but have been dodging the condition until now. Like he said, he’s not ready to commit the life.

 

“Boss, there have been numerous job applications in the line so we need you to check each one of them and choose those who are suitable for the next step, the interview” Doojoon looked at his assistant and said “Dongwoon ah”

 

Dongwoon knows exactly what to do, he took the box that was on the floor which is full with resumes of job seekers. “You will have to finish it by today and the interview will be held tomorrow which you have to attend Sir” the worker earlier said.

 

“We better start flipping through these papers as soon as possible” Dongwoon whispered to Doojoon. Doojoon sighed and signaled Dongwoon to go to his office and go through the resumes together.

 

In his office, he puts both his feet on his desk as he goes through the job applications with Dongwoon sitting on the sofa and more applications on the table in front of him.

 

“See? I can never accomplish my parent’s condition with this much work. I need to do my best for this company” Doojoon spoke to Dongwoon.

 

“But you have to because you already promised your parents”