And Baby Makes Three: Part 2

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Kyuhyun roused, having fallen asleep on the couch watching television, to incessant pounding on the door.  He shook his head and yawned, getting up and walking to the door.  As he opened the door, he found Micha walking away from the apartment. 

            “Micha!”

            Micha turned around, tears running down her cheeks, as she held Chaewon.  “Oh, thank God!” she exclaimed.  “Is Ryeowook home?”

            “No, he’s recording his radio show.  Is something the matter?”

            Micha began to sob uncontrollably and Kyuhyun stepped forward and gently touched her shoulder.  “What’s going on?  What’s wrong?”

            “I…my husband…” she said, barely able to talk as she cried, “he’s been in an accident.”

            “What kind of accident?  Do you need to go to the hospital?”

            “A car accident…they say that…he might not make it.”

            A cold shiver shot through Kyuhyun’s body as he immediately remembered his own close call with death on the side of the road.  He pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind for the moment, since they wouldn’t do the situation any good.  Micha took a moment to control her tears and Kyuhyun looked down at Chaewon, who appeared half-asleep still.  She’d probably already gone to sleep for the night and had to wake up when Micha heard the news. 

            “Mr. Jong said that he would…drive me, but I…I had hoped that Ryeowook would watch Chaewon for me.  I…” she stopped, her labored breathing making it hard to speak.

            “Is there anyone else you can call?”

            She shook her head.  “I know of no one here that could watch her and…and my family lives far away.”

            Kyuhyun had remembered her saying as much to Ryeowook only the week before when they met in the hall.  Of course, he knew that hospitals were no place for children.  They were no place for anyone, if it could be avoided, but he knew that Micha would not be able to give her husband the attention he deserved if she had to care for Chaewon as well.  That was just too much to ask of a person.  As afraid as he was of babies, he could not refuse to watch her.  Not only would Ryeowook skin him alive for not helping her out, but his own consciousness would eat away at him if he did nothing.

            “Wookie will probably be back in a little while.  What if…what if I watch her until he gets home?  That way, you can be with your husband.”

            Micha looked up at Kyuhyun with watery eyes and then looked down at Chaewon, who was clutching her jacket tight and rested her head against her shoulder to hide from Kyuhyun.

            “Have you watched babies before?”

            Kyuhyun nodded, feeling his heart beat in fear.  “Yes, back when I was in high school,” he lied.  “And Ryeowook will be home soon.”

            Micha nodded, far too worried about her husband to see through the lies of a man she barely knew.  She handed him the diaper bag.  “I have the spare key for the apartment in the side pocket, in case you need more clothes or anything.  I packed diapers, formula, bottles, jarred food, her toys, bibs, several outfits, another blanket…I probably forgot something, but everything is in her room or the kitchen if you need it.  Thank you so much, Kyuhyun.  Ryeowook has my phone number, but I don’t know if they’ll let me keep it on or not.  I’ll call as soon as I can!”

            Kyuhyun slung the diaper bag over his shoulder and then Micha handed him Chaewon.  She kissed her daughter’s forehead and bowed her head, thanking Kyuhyun profusely, and then headed down the hall, nearly running.  When Micha was out of sight, Kyuhyun looked back at the baby.  The little girl looked up at him with wide eyes as he held her at arm’s length.  For a moment, they both remained this way, each sizing up the other.  Then, all of a sudden, little Chaewon’s lips began to quiver and tears filled her eyes.

            “Ah…ah…” he said, walking into the apartment with her quickly before she began to scream.  “Don’t cry!” 

            Kyuhyun managed to make it into the apartment and closed the door.  He walked into the living room and set her down on the couch so he could take off the diaper bag.  He then knelt in front of the couch and she watched him, her eyes full of unshed tears.  Kyuhyun quickly pulled out his cellphone and typed a text message to Ryeowook as fast as he could.  Then he set the phone down on the couch.

            “It’s going to be okay,” he said, not sure if he was talking to her or himself at this point.  “Ryeowook will be home very soon!”

            For a moment, she stared at him in complete silence, sitting on her behind with her little purple blanket clutched in her hand, her pink lips pouting at him.  For the briefest moment, Kyuhyun fooled himself into thinking everything would be fine until his husband returned home.  Then, from out of nowhere, came the loudest wailing that Kyuhyun had ever heard a living being make. 

            “No, no, no, no, no!” he pleaded, waving his hands in front of her.  “No crying!  !”

            Kyuhyun dialed the number to the radio station and kept the phone against his ear as he waited for the automated system to put him through to the front desk. 

            “Cartoons!  Do you watch cartoons?  I’ll let you have complete control of the tv if you stop crying,” he promised, grabbing the remote and flipping the channel until he found something animated.  “Look!  It’s…something with a puppy…with polka dots or something…”

            Still, Chaewon continued to scream.

            “You don’t like it?” he asked, grabbing the diaper bag and pulling out every toy he could find.  “Look!  It’s a giraffe!  I bet I know who gave you that!” he said, moving the giraffe around on the couch to make it look alive, but she didn’t even glance at it.  At this point, her eyes were closed tight and she was sniffling and slobbering all down her face. 

 

 

            Ryeowook glanced down at his phone in the middle of talking on the air and checked to see who had messaged him.  Kyuhyun.  Ryeowook hit the button to open the message.

            Emergency!!!  Call now!!!

            Ryeowook rolled his eyes and continued talking, quickly forgetting about the message entirely.  The thing was, Kyuhyun seemed to think most things required immediate attention.  The last time he text to say there was an emergency,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter