Hidden

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hidden

 

            “Ryeowook.”

            Ryeowook’s eyes were still closed as he lay in bed, but he could see the light behind his lids and felt Kyuhyun playing with his bangs.  It had to be late morning or early afternoon at that point, but Ryeowook was getting over a little cold and was determined to sleep in.

            “Sweetheart, I’m leaving,” he said, leaning forward and kissing Ryeowook’s cheek repeatedly.  At this, Ryeowook turned his head to the side and covered his face with his hands. 

            “No kissing!  Remember?  I still have the sniffles and you’ll get sick!”

            Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around his husband and nuzzled against his neck.  “I don’t care.”

            “You will when you get sick,” Ryeowook said, trying to turn onto his side.

            “Fine, fine!” Kyuhyun said, kissing his cheek once more and then sitting back up.  “I have to leave anyway, so I don’t have time to tease you.  Leeteuk and I decided to go have lunch with a few of the others before meeting up with Changmin and Yunho.”

            Ryeowook uncovered his face and gave Kyuhyun a curious look, confused.

            “Remember?  We’re going to the DBSK concert,” Kyuhyun reminded him.

            “Oh, that’s right,” Ryeowook said, nodding.

            “Since someone couldn’t get out of working for the night,” he said, poking his husband in the side and he began coughing a bit instead of laughing as usual, so Kyuhyun immediately stopped.  “Terribly convenient that Leeteuk happened to come back just at the right time for a visit or I may have had to drag Heechul with.”

            “You happen to love Heechul,” Ryeowook reminded him.

            “He still drives me nuts though.”

            “So, you could have brought Henry,” Ryeowook pointed out.  “You always get along with him.”

            “And I do so much with him at this point, people are starting to think we’re dating,” Kyuhyun teased, smirking down at Ryeowook when he managed to make him scowl a little, since it happened to be the truth and Ryeowook wasn’t thrilled about it, although he was terribly fond of the boy and refused to let rumors dictate how much time either of them spent with him.

            “What time is it?”

            “A little after one,” Kyuhyun informed him.  “And remember that tonight we have to meet up for rehearsal after your broadcast.”

            “Do I need to drive directly there?”

            “No, come here first and I’ll drive us over.  Okay?”

            Ryeowook nodded.

            “Take some vitamins and dress warm,” Kyuhyun told him, brushing the hair out of his eyes.  “I don’t want you to relapse and get worse because you’re working too hard and not taking care of yourself.”

            “I will,” he promised.

            Kyuhyun bent down and kissed his forehead.  Ryeowook closed his eyes as Kyuhyun’s lips lightly touched his skin.  His husband’s presence always made him feel better, so he was loath to let him go, although he’d probably been awake for five or six hours already without him even realizing it.

            “Should I bring you back a souvenir?” he teased.  “I bet you I could get one of the singers to sign a t-shirt for you.”

            Ryeowook smacked him in the chest.  “Go away!”

            Kyuhyun laughed and got up off the bed.  “Good-bye.  I love you.”

            “Bye.  I love you, too.  Tell Changmin and Yunho hello for me.”

            “I will,” Kyuhyun said, shutting the bedroom door behind him.

            Ryeowook laid in bed a short while, but then eventually got up and started his day.  He showered and dressed, ate a little breakfast—noting that Kyuhyun had gone to the grocery store and picked up fruit and juice, among other things, which was what Ryeowook liked best when recovering from illnesses—and drank a large glass of orange juice. 

            He then decided to take a little walk down to the mailbox to get his blood circulating a little and dug in his coat pocket for his keys, but they weren’t there.  Then he checked another coat.  They weren’t there either.  He looked in the drawer where they kept their wedding rings when they went out.  No keys.  He looked on the coffee table, end table, under the couch cushions, on the night stand, in the kitchen.  Nothing.

            “What the hell?”

             Ryeowook knew he’d been a little out of it when he’d come home the night before.  He’d taken some cold medications.  So, really, he might have set them anywhere in the apartment.  And they would probably turn up in a day or two.  He had to have had them to get home, so he couldn’t have lost them.  He used them to unlock the door to the apartment.  They had to be there. 

            And he had a spare apartment key and car key to use in the meantime, but he didn’t have the remote opener or starter, which was a real bummer this time of year when it was cold out.  And he certainly didn’t have the key to the mailbox, only Kyuhyun had the other one of those.  He didn’t even have spare keys to the dorms.  Only his normal key chain had those.  And technically the other members tried to talk him into giving them back now that he wasn’t living there anymore, but he periodically made them a batch of cookies and left it for them when they weren’t home, and they’d shut up about it for a stretch.

            Even if he knew that he hadn’t really lost his keys and had only misplaced them, it still irked him and he found himself irritated for the next few hours, grumbling to himself as he picked up the house, which was starting to look a little rough after a few days of not being tended to.  Kyuhyun was good about doing the dishes and picking up his clothes, but vacuuming, dusting, and scrubbing down surfaces were beyond his notice.  So he got to work on tidying up, but each time he thought of a new place he might have set down his keys, he dropped what he was doing and ran to look for them, a clear sign that he was on the mend.  Running would not have happened just twenty-four hours prior. 

            Still, after two dozen spontaneous moments of possible enlightenment, he still had not found his keys and began to get ready to leave for the station.  Before he started getting dressed, he stopped by the overflowing hamper and gathered laundry, deciding to throw a load into the washer before leaving, and began to gather clothes in his arms when he heard a jingle in Kyuhyun’s jeans.

            “Wha!”

            Ryeowook dropped everything else in his arms and hurriedly stuck his hand in each pocket of Kyuhyun’s jeans and eventually fished out his beloved, longed-for key ring. 

            “Why do you have this?” Ryeowook asked, trying to figure out what Kyuhyun would use his keys for.  And part of him thought of texting him right that moment, but the other part of him figured he could always just ask him later.  After all, he’d found his keys and no harm was done.  “Why didn’t I just call and ask him in the first place?” he sighed, shoving the keys in his pocket and picking the clothes back up, much happier than he had been the last few hours.

            Later, when he got into his car to leave for work, he noticed immediately that his car had been vacuumed out.  It was completely cleaned on the inside.  Kyuhyun had talked earlier in the week of changing the oil and then he said he’d vacuum it out and fill the windshield wiper fluid while he was at it.  He must have done that in the morning before Ryeowook woke up.  He’d even hung up an air freshener, although being the manly type he was, he couldn’t put anything sweeter than clean laundry scent—which was a step up from the pine scent that he used in his own car—and smiled as he got in and set his backpack on the passenger seat. 

            When he the car, he even noticed that he’d filled the gas tank.  This time, he did text his husband, and thanked him for doing all the work on his car.  He didn’t bother mentioning the hunt for his keys earlier.  Then he left for work.

 

            Leeteuk shook his head in the car while playing with his phone.  “I can’t believe you two.  Changmin just stands up there on stage and calls you my love.  I’m surprised that Wookie stil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter