Never Better

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “A-choo!”

            I perked up from lying around on the couch, listening to music.  I pulled out an earbud from one ear and listened.

            “A-choo!”

            I tossed my mp3 player on the coffee table and rushed to the bedroom where Kyuhyun was taking a nap.  We had a Super Junior event the night before and then he filmed two episodes of Radio Star that day.  He’d only been home for about a half hour and we had plans to eat upstairs with Sungmin and Eunhyuk before I had to leave and film Kiss the Radio.  I didn’t think a thing of it when he said he wanted to lie down for a little while first, since he was always tired, but sneezing usually meant trouble.

            I opened the door to the bedroom and sat down beside him.  He opened his eyes the moment the mattress dipped and looked up at me.  “What’s wrong?” he asked, groggy from sleep.

            “Nothing,” I said, brushing the hair out of his eyes and feeling his head.  “I was just concerned.  I heard you sneezing.  Are you getting sick?”

            Kyuhyun shook his head.  “My allergies are bugging me.”

            “Are you sure?”

            “Yeah,” he said, grabbing onto my hand and squeezing it.  “I just need a little rest.”

            “Okay,” I said, releasing his hand and beginning to get up off the bed when he grabbed me by the upper arms and pulled me down on top of him.  Immediately, his hands poked my sides, sending me into a laughing fit.  “S-top,” I pleaded.  “You should…sleep.”

            “You already woke me!”

            Kyuhyun was relentless and began tickling me in earnest, making me thrash my arms and legs to attempt to loosen his hold.  He instead rolled us over and pinned me beneath him with his body.  The problem with being with someone for nearly five years was that they knew every weakness of yours, including every ticklish spot.  I thought I was going to pass out from not breathing properly, I was laughing so hard, but then he stopped for a moment and just hovered over me, looking down at me with bright, shining eyes, his hair falling into his face.  He looked so y, I could cry.

            I reached up and brushed his hair to the side and then let my hand rest on his cheek and softly caressed it.  The hint of a smile on his lips faded as he looked down at my lips and unconsciously his own, but still he didn’t kiss me.

            “Sometimes I wonder what the hell you see in me,” he confessed breathlessly.  “You could have anyone you want.”

            “Well, you just happen to be exactly what I want,” I informed him.  “Why do you feel so unworthy today?”

            “You’re always taking care of me.  I feel like I don’t deserve you sometimes,” he said, wrapping his arms around me. 

            I continued to run my fingers through his hair.  “You take care of me too, just in different ways.  I’ve always felt satisfied by the way the give and take between us balances out.”

            “I’m lucky you’re so delusional,” he teased, kissing my cheek and nuzzling against my neck until I started laughing again and pulled his hair.  I then reached down and pinched him really hard in the .

            “Ow!” he whined, narrowing his eyes at me.  “So mean!”

            “Be nice,” I said, sticking out my bottom lip.

            “Me?” he questioned, his eyes going wide as he stared down at me.

            I nodded.

            “I’ll be nice if you do,” he offered.

            Instead of answering, I slipped my hand into his jeans and began rubbing the spot I’d pinched, causing him to squirm.  “Is that better?”

            “Much better,” he moaned, grinding his hips against mine.  I closed my eyes momentarily as desire began to build in my groin.  It never took much for him to arouse me.  When I looked back up at him, his eyes were focused on my lips again.  Finally, he closed his eyes and bent his head down to kiss me. 

            Then he quickly turned his head to the side and sneezed again.  Three times.  He stilled above me, waiting for a second to make sure that he was done.  Then he turned back to look and me and tried to lean in.  I quickly covered his mouth with my hand.

            “I don’t think so!” I said, shaking my head.  “You’re sick!”

            “I’m not sick, I’m just allergic to pollen or something.”

            “This isn’t pollen season.  Go blow your nose and take a nap.”

            Kyuhyun grabbed my wrist and pulled it away from his face.  “I’m not in the mood for a nap anymore.”

            “I’m not in the mood to get sick,” I said, shoving him off me and grabbing a tissue from the nightstand.  I handed it over to him and then quickly jumped off the bed and headed to the bathroom to wash my hands.  God only knows what kind of a virus he could have, they’re attracted to him.  Ever since the car accident, when he punctured his lungs, he’s been more prone to getting respiratory infections.  These days we took every precaution to keep him from getting sick, with perhaps me being more vigilant of the two of us, but he was still bound to get sick from time to time. 

            When I finished washing up and headed back into the bedroom, Kyuhyun looked tired and dejected.  “You need some sleep.  I shouldn’t have woken you,” I said, stopping at the foot of the bed because I didn’t trust him not to coerce me into joining him again. 

            “Can you cuddle with me?”

            I grinned at him and shook my head.  “Hell no, I'm not falling for that.”

            Kyuhyun frowned at me and smacked his pillow a few times to fluff it up before resting his head on it.  He wasn’t happy, but he knew better than to argue with me. 

            “I’ll wake you up when Sungmin has dinner ready.  Then you’re going to take it easy the rest of the night.  You still have to film tomorrow, don’t you?”

            He nodded and flopped down onto the bed.  Despite his complaints that I left him hanging, he ended up falling back to sleep within minutes and I knew that meant trouble. 

 

 

            The next day, I was gone when Kyuhyun came home from Momma Mia, so it wasn’t until early evening that I walked into the apartment.  No sooner had I taken off my shoes and set down my workout bag when I heard coughing from the bedroom.  I hurried into the room to see how he was, but he was miraculously still asleep and I didn’t wake him.  I very softly touched his forehead and this time he was burning up.

            I took a quick shower and then set about making him some broth soup.  Then I dug through the medicine cabinet to find a fever reducer and the gongjindan supplements, which Jaejoong had sent to Kyuhyun when he had a particularly bad run of illness a few years back and we’d been buying ever since to use when either of us felt under the weather.  They were ridiculously expensive although they worked wonders.  I swear they cut my colds down by a day or two and when you work in the industry that we do, a day or two without being sick is a godsend. 

            When the soup was nearly ready to eat, I returned to the bedroom and sat down on the bed beside Kyuhyun.  He was curled up in a fetal position with the covers wrapped around him like a cocoon.  I began to dab his sweaty forehead with a damp washcloth and he immediately began to rouse.  When he opened his eyes, he glanced up at me and then rolled unto his back. 

            “I don’t think this is your allergies acting up,” I told him, smiling down at him.

            “I think you’re right,” he said, his voice rough from coughing. 

            I continued to wipe the sweat off of him and then grabbed the handful of pills for him to take and a glass of water from the nightstand.  “Here, sit up for me.”

            Kyuhyun did as he was told and I slid the medicine into his hand.  He poured them all into his mouth and then drank down nearly all the water.  The fact that he didn’t question what I was giving him or gave me a hard time for ordering him around told me more about how he felt than actually asking him.  Once he was done, he handed me back the glass and lay down again.

            I ran my hand through his damp locks, brushing them away from his face.  “Do you work tomorrow?”

            He shook his head.  “I was going to help my mother out though.”

            “I don’t think your mother will want you anywhere near her when you’re this sick.  Or, if she does, she’ll come over and baby you, not ask you to help with the fall chores.”

            “Don’t let her in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter