Thanksgiving: Secrets and Surprises

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nine a.m., Thanksgiving Day…

            Kyuhyun was standing in the kitchen behind Ryeowook, looking over his shoulder as he mixed whip cream into a bowl of fruit and marshmallows.  Finally, Ryeowook stopped and looked over his shoulder.  “I am not giving you any…besides; it has to set in the refrigerator.  You can’t eat it now anyway.  If you want, you can have a croissant or something.”

            “But that looks sweet and I want something sweet,” he complained, wrapping his arm around Ryeowook and sticking his finger into the bowl. 

            Ryeowook smacked his hand.  “Quit that!  You can have some in a few hours.  Eat an apple or something!” 

            “You don’t love me anymore,” he sulked, heading to the refrigerator and staring at all the bowls of food he wasn’t allowed to eat until later.  “There’s a whole kitchen full of food and you’ll only let me eat bread or apples.  You won’t even let me cook anything.”

            “I’m already using the oven and I don’t need you making a mess when I’m trying to work.  You can survive a little while without hot food.  You’ll be complaining about being sick from eating too much by the time we go to bed tonight.”

            “But right now I’m starving.”

            “You aren’t about to pass out or anything, so tough.”

            “Tough?” Kyuhyun repeated, leaning on the door and looking at Ryeowook as if he’d just cursed.  “I can’t believe you’re so stingy.”

            “Nothing you say is going to make me give into you.  We’ve been together for nearly five years now, so I’ve seen all your tricks.  You can’t guilt me on this.  Eat some toast and get out of my way,” he informed Kyuhyun.

            “You’re the meanest husband ever!” he said, sticking out his tongue and grabbing a banana as he hurried out the door, a little fearful when Ryeowook turned back to face him with an evil aura emitting from him.

 

One hour later…

            Kyuhyun had been hiding in his office until he heard the door open and close and he ran out to find both Sungmin and Hyukjae carrying pies into the apartment.  Kyuhyun eagerly looked under the tin foil covering one of the pies and Sungmin automatically smacked him in the hand, which was starting to hurt now that he’d been hit so many times in the last couple days.

            “Leave it alone!” Sungmin demanded. 

            Kyuhyun frowned and rubbed his hand. 

            “If you come upstairs and help me bring down the decorations, I’ll let you have a cupcake,” Sungmin offered.  “I baked a batch the other day.”

            Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around Sungmin, squeezing him tight.  “I knew that you wouldn’t let me starve!”

            Sungmin looked over at Ryeowook in disbelief and Ryeowook just nodded, busy peeling potatoes.  “He’s been like this all morning.  I’m about ready to sell him to the circus.”

            “You can help Hyukjae and I decorate—”

            “After I eat my cupcake!”

            “After you eat your cupcake,” Sungmin amended, “and then we’re going to go outside and play some football with the other members.”

            “Won’t that just attract a lot of attention?” Kyuhyun asked, looking leery.

            “We’ll be wearing jackets and hats and everything else, so no one should notice.  Besides, most of our fans are in school right now,” Hyukjae pointed out. 

            “Changmin will be over soon, so I’m staying inside.  You guys can go play,” Kyuhyun said.

            “I bet you right now even Ryeowook would be happy to have Changmin over for you to play games with just to get you the hell away from him,” Sungmin pointed out.

            “I just text Changmin and told him if he comes early, I’ll let him take home some left over dessert,” Ryeowook admitted.

            “I’m not that bad,” Kyuhyun said under his breath, following Hyukjae out of the apartment. 

            Sungmin walked over to the counter were Ryeowook was working and pat his back.  “Is there anything I can help you with?”

            “No, everything is going on schedule and if you’ve brought the pies and appetizers, then I have everything else covered.  It’s just a matter of timing everything out.  I prepped everything that I could yesterday, so today won’t be too bad,” he explained.  “If you and Hyukjae can keep the members preoccupied and away from the apartment until the dinner starts, that will be all the help I need.”

            “It’s a done deal!” Sungmin said, leaning against the counter and sighing.

            Ryeowook looked over at his friend.  Sungmin had been acting a bit mopey lately, although he couldn’t think of anything that would be affecting his friend.  His stage acting was going well, which was his main job outside of Super Junior, so he was at a loss over what was bothering him.  “Is something wrong?”

            Sungmin shook his head.

            “You’re lying to me and I know it,” Ryeowook said, noting that Sungmin was avoiding eye contact with him.

            “I’m not ready to talk about it yet,” Sungmin admitted.  “But when I am, you’ll be the first one I seek out.  Okay?”

            Ryeowook nodded, watching Sungmin as he headed back out of the kitchen.

 

Noon…

            Kyuhyun finished off his sub sandwich—which Changmin had smuggled into the house for him inside the bag he carried his games in—and then wiped his hands off before picking the game controller back up.  “You’re a god-send.  Ryeowook hasn’t let me eat anything since yesterday.”

            “Victoria does that too when she’s having people over.  Drives me crazy,” Changmin admitted, sniffing the air.  “I can’t wait to eat, it smells so good!”

            “It’s been torture.  I’m never going to let him hold another dinner party again!”

            “You always say that, but then you forget because the food was so good and you want to have it again,” Changmin reminded him.

            “Damned if I do and damned if I don’t,” complained Kyuhyun, flipping the game back on to resume where they left off.  “What’s Yunho up to today?”

            “He didn’t ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter