Christmas with the In-Laws: Season's Greetings

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Season’s Greetings

            Kyuhyun pulled up to the stoplight and brought his hand to his face.  He unconsciously began to bite his nails.  Again. 

            “Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook cried out, grasping the cuff of his jacket and pulling it away from his face.  “Quit that!”

            His husband glanced down at his hand and sighed.  “I’m not doing it on purpose, I’m just zoning out because I’m tired.”

            They’d decided to leave for Ryeowook’s parent’s house once he got home from recording Kiss the Radio instead of waking up early in the morning.  The streets were empty at that time of night and no one would spot them leaving together because almost no one would be awake.  Then they’d stay until Sunday afternoon.  It would give them a solid day and a half to spend with his parents, which he knew he’d been neglecting lately.  And they needed time to get to know his husband.  But time was something they didn’t have a great deal of.

            Ryeowook thread his fingers through Kyuhyun’s and set them in his lap.  The fact that his husband wasn’t trying to feel him up was a sign that his mind was very preoccupied.  Kyuhyun was more nervous about the visit than he was letting on.

            “I’m going to be ready to collapse when I get there,” Kyuhyun informed him.

            “I thought you were going to take a nap while I was working.”

            “I couldn’t sleep.”

            “I told them that we’d probably eat a quick snack and then go to sleep.  They know that we’re both super busy right now,” Ryeowook said.  “They won’t give us a hard time if we go to bed right away.”

            Kyuhyun nodded his head and continued to drive the car when the light turned green.  He then cleared his throat and hesitantly asked, “Am I going to sleep in your room or are they going to put me someplace else?”

            “I wasn’t going to let them put you someplace else, since we are married,” he pointed out.  “But my parents aren’t normally the type to start disagreements.  That’s what made their reaction when I came out so unexpected.”

            Kyuhyun nodded.  He really didn’t know Ryeowook’s parents well enough to have much of an opinion on them and he was trying not to base it all on the hard time they’d given Ryeowook on his relationship with him, but that was all he really had to work off of up to that point.  He only met them a couple times prior to dating him. 

            “I don’t think I could fall asleep at all in their house if I had to sleep alone.  I’m not sure if I can even with you, except I’m tired already,” Kyuhyun admitted.

            “I think you’ll be fine,” Ryeowook said, pulling out his phone and beginning to text his mom to let her know they were nearby.

            Kyuhyun kept his eyes on the road, easily navigating with one hand.  “I suppose you only have a twin bed.”

            “Actually, I have a full mattress.”

            Kyuhyun scrunched his face up.  “That’s still not a lot of room,” he pointed out. 

            “It’s enough for two nights,” Ryeowook said.  “It’s more room than we had when we first started sleeping together.”

            “Tell me about it!  It’s one of the main reasons I wanted carpeting in our bedroom.  I’m still worried that I’m going to roll off the bed,” he confessed.  “Which way am I turning?”

            “Right,” Ryeowook said, letting go of Kyuhyun’s hand and tossing his phone into his bag.  They were only a couple blocks away at that point.  “Now, just be yourself and you’ll be fine.  Dad already seems curious about you, so I think he’ll have lots of questions to ask you.  And mom…mom will just need time to get used to the idea of having a son-in-law.  She’s not going to be mean to you or anything, but she’s still in shock that we’re married.  She never expected me to stay with you.  I think she thought it was just some rebellious stage I was going through and that I’d go back to normal eventually.”

            Kyuhyun glanced over at Ryeowook and took a deep breath.

            “Stop that!  She doesn’t blame you for my downfall or anything!” Ryeowook said, knowing full well what his husband was thinking after so long together.  “Give her a chance!  Getting to know you is a big step for her.”

            “Which house is it?”

            “It’s towards the end of the street,” Ryeowook said, pointing further down. 

            “Are they still up?”

            “Yep, I just text them.  They usually stay up to listen to my show on Friday nights,” Ryeowook informed him, “since they don’t work on the weekends.”

            “You really are overindulged as an only child, aren’t you?  We’re having at least two kids, by the way.  I want none of this spoiled brat crap in our house,” Kyuhyun said, pulling over where Ryeowook was pointing.

            “I don’t even know where this is coming from, since you’re the most spoiled child I’ve ever met!  Your mother absolutely dotes on you.  And your dad isn’t much better!  You talked him into letting you be a singer when he wanted you to be a lawyer,” he pointed out.

            “I did everything he asked me to do in order to allow me to audition,” Kyuhyun argued back.  “I had to earn it!  And you don’t hear him complaining now, do you?”

            “Even us members have spoiled you.  You’ve never had to cook or clean or do anything that a maknae normally does,” he pointed out.  “We all take care of you!  I can’t think of anyone as indulged as you are.  The managers have kissed your since your arrival.  The only exception being Leeteuk for all of six months—tops—and then he began to baby you even more than the rest of us.  And then after the accident, hell!  You’re barely ever had to lift a finger since.  Most of the members had a guilt complex about the way they’d treated you when you first arrived after that.”

            “Heechul picks on me.”

            “Oh really?  And what do you do for him?  I’m his personal chef.”

            Kyuhyun just grinned and tried not to laugh.

            “Don’t even begin to tell me I’m spoiled,” Ryeowook said, reaching for the car door.

            Kyuhyun grabbed his arm to stop him and cupped his cheek with his free hand, turning his head to face him.  He leaned over and kissed Ryeowook on the lips briefly before pulling back.  “I love you.”

            Ryeowook smiled.  “Are you afraid you won’t get the chance to kiss me for two days?”

            Kyuhyun shrugged.  “I won’t be kissing you in front of your parents, that’s for sure.  I’m not about to push things and make them feel uneasy.  Even my own dad gets a little uncomfortable with that.”

            “In all fairness though, he gets uncomfortable when Ahra kisses her boyfriends as well,” Ryeowook pointed out.

            “Actually, I think he gets angry with them.  At any rate, you get what I mean.  I’m not going to cross the line.”

            “That’s fine,” Ryeowook said, grabbing his bag from the floor of the car.  “That being said, I’m not going to pretend you’re just my friend either.  They have to come to terms with the fact that you’re my husband, not my best bud.  So don’t flip out if I hug you or hold your hand or any of that, because the sooner they get accustomed to it, the better.”

            Kyuhyun gave his husband a nervous smile and eyed him wearily.  Ryeowook leaned over and kissed him on the lips and Kyuhyun gradually kissed him back.  Their lips molded together, moving over each other’s, until Ryeowook began to lightly on Kyuhyun’s bottom lip and Kyuhyun grasped Ryeowook’s upper arm and then slipped his tongue into Ryeowook’s mouth, forcing a pleasured moan out of his husband.  And Ryeowook could have lost himself in that moment, his attraction to Kyuhyun was just too hard to break, but Kyuhyun finally pulled away. 

            “Your parents are probably wondering why we haven’t come in yet,” Kyuhyun said.

            “They’ve seen how good looking you are…so they probably know why,” Ryeowook quipped, leaning back in his seat and taking a deep breath to calm himself.

            Kyuhyun smiled and shook his head in amusement, and then he popped the trunk and got out of the car.  Ryeowook let himself catch his breath and checked to make sure he looked composed before he got out of the car and grabbed the bag full of presents from Kyuhyun.  Kyuhyun was holding their full sized suitcase and his own backpack and closed the trunk.

            “Is that it?” Ryeowook asked.

            “We’re only staying two days,” he pointed out.

            “Quit being a smart ,” Ryeowook said, smacking his backside.

            “If I don’t try to make light of the situation I might get even more nervous, so indulge me this once,” he said, following Ryeowook up to the front door. 

            Before they even reached the steps, the door opened wide and Mr. Kim stuck his head out the door.  “Hey!  You finally made it!  Come on in!”

            Ryeowook ran up the steps and Kyuhyun followed, thanking Ryeowook’s father for holding the door open as they entered with their bags.  Ryeowook handed his mother the bag of presents, which she immediately brought over to the Christmas tree in the corner of the room, twinkling with lights, as they slipped off their shoes.  They removed their coats and Ryeowook hung them both up in the closet quick before they stepped into the living room, dragging their bags in with them and setting them down on the carpeted floor. 

            Ryeowook clasped his hands together and decided that although they’d all been introduced years ago, it was probably only fair to reintroduce everyone.  “Mom, Dad…you remember Kyuhyun, of course.”

            Kyuhyun gave Ryeowook’s mom a slight bow and held out his hand.  “Mrs. Kim, it’s good to see you again.”

            “Just call me auntie.”

            And that was typically what all the members called each other’s mothers, which was goo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter