Present

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present

 

            When Kyuhyun woke up, the sun was already spilling in through the windows of their bedroom and Ryeowook had been watching him as he lay beside him in bed for a good hour already.  They’d gotten back into town in the early morning hours, opting to take a flight back home right after the concert  instead of spending the night in the Philippines, and it was now late morning.  Once Kyuhyun woke, Ryeowook had promised to make him a ridiculously large and overindulgent breakfast before he went out ski boarding with his buddies for the rest of the day.  That’s what Kyuhyun had wanted to do all winter and had yet to have a day off to do and Ryeowook was stuck working later anyway.  His husband might as well enjoy himself.

            The moment that Kyuhyun’s eyes opened enough to look around and they focused on him, Kyuhyun’s lips spread into a lopsided grin and he reached for his husband.  Ryeowook allowed Kyuhyun to pull him in closer and kissed him good morning, mumbling happy birthday against his lips.

            “Thanks, baby,” Kyuhyun said, pulling away after a minute. 

            “Are you hungry?  Should I make breakfast?”

            “What time is it?” Kyuhyun asked, looking past Ryeowook to the alarm clock.  “Ah, so late already?  I suppose so.  I said I’d be out there about noon and that barely gives me two hours.”

            “How long does it take you to drive there?” Ryeowook asked.

            “An hour,” Kyuhyun said.  “Probably less this time of day.”

            “It won’t take me long to make breakfast,” Ryeowook informed him.  “You can change and get the car packed while I cook.”

            Just as Ryeowook began to sit up and pull the covers off of him, his husband grabbed ahold of his arm and yanked him back down onto the bed.  Ryeowook fell on top of Kyuhyun and his husband quickly wrapped his arms around his little spouse.

            “I wish you were coming with,” Kyuhyun said, briefly kissing his lips.

            “So you can watch me go up and down the bunny hill all day?”

            Kyuhyun laughed at this, but it wasn’t far from the truth.  Ryeowook was not at the same skill level as Kyuhyun or his friends and would only either be left alone on his own trails (which appealed just fine to Kyuhyun, but Ryeowook liked group activities) or Kyuhyun would be forced to accompany his husband on trails that did not interest him.  It was far better sometimes that Kyuhyun did some of his favorite things with other people—that also did them well, like play games and ski—such as Changmin or his old high school buddies.

            “I would have fun if I brought my camera,” Kyuhyun suggested.

            “You’re friends are going to wonder where you are if you don’t get out of bed soon or you’re going to go skiing on an empty stomach, which probably isn’t a good idea,” Ryeowook informed him.

            “Alright, alright,” he said, kissing Ryeowook one last time and then getting out of bed. 

            While Kyuhyun got ready to leave, Ryeowook began making breakfast.  During a break in his preparations, he picked up his phone and began to look at his husband’s Twitter page.  He’d yet to post something about Kyuhyun’s birthday and he really ought to—being his spouse and all—and began to consider what he ought to say.

            Then Kyuhyun came out of the bedroom and walked into the kitchen.  “Hey, babe, where is my board, anyway?”

            “The storage closet at the end of the hall, on the right hand side,” Ryeowook said without looking up from his phone.

            “Is that were my gloves and that are?”

            “No…those are in the closet, in that divider towards the back, hanging off the bar.  Second and third compartment have all your stuff in them,” he answered.

            “Okay,” Kyuhyun said, heading back out into the hall.

            Ryeowook decided that he should post his birthday wishes for his husband right away, since he didn’t want the fans to think that he didn’t prioritize his best friend.  The only problem was he had no recent picture of them that he could post online.  He had obvious ones of them as a couple that would out them to the public, he had ones they’d seen before, or he had really old ones.  But then one just flew out at him.  Bam!  It was one from the fall that the public hadn’t seen of them sitting next to each other on an airplane.  Seemingly insignificant and innocent…but it wasn’t.

            Ryeowook glanced over at the doorway where Kyuhyun had just walked out of and smiled to himself, wondering what his husband would think if he posted it online.  Of course, he did so immediately and had it all said and done before Kyuhyun was even done digging out his ski board. 

            @ryeong9: kyu~ happy birthday ^^ I hope 2014 becomes your year!!!! KyuKyu, spend today happily kk (but when is this picture from. I opened my photos folder and this appeared like bam kkk)

            Then he went about his business and finished making breakfast, pretending that nothing interesting had happened.  Kyuhyun gathered his supplies and packed up his car just as Ryeowook finished making breakfast and sat down at the table with him, eager to have a filling, tasty meal in him before he exhausted himself on the slopes all day.

            After several bites, Kyuhyun closed his eyes and sighed in contentedness.  “God, I love you!” 

            “I know,” Ryeowook said, smiling as he dug into his own food.  He was just as big a fan of his own cooking as everyone else was and was starving from their concert last night.  They were too tired to eat when they returned home early in the morning and just crashed without refueling and now his stomach was growling in protest.

            “If only you could ski, too, you’d be perfect.”

            Ryeowook glared across the table at him.  “Shut up.”

            Kyuhyun smirked.  “When do I get my presents?”

            “When I get home from work?” Ryeowook informed him.

            “But won’t that be after midnight?  It won’t be my birthday anymore,” he pointed out.  “You’ll be late in giving me my birthday presents.”

            “Well, you could just skip going skiing and I could give them to you after breakfast?” Ryeowook suggested.

            Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes and stuck his tongue out at his husband.  “I’ll let you get by with it just this once.”

            “So generous of you,” Ryeowook said.  “I’ll consider still giving you them then.”

            “Where do you have them stored, anyway?  I couldn’t find them anywhere in the apartment,” he asked, picking up his cell phone to text his friend.

            “Do I look stupid?” Ryeowook asked.  “If I try to hide them in the apartment you’ll look for them.”

            “You could wrap them.”

            “You either unwrap them and wrap them back up or you figure out what they are without looking.  Don’t worry, they’re not even here,” Ryeowook said.  “I have them safely hidden away where you can’t access them.”

            Kyuhyun paused his typing for a moment and held his chopsticks in the air.  “I wonder where Sungmin hid my presents.”

            Ryeowook sighed and shook his head.  Thankfully Kyuhyun was leaving and wouldn’t have time to search the lower dorm for them.

            “Anyone interesting text you?”

            “It’s only ten in the morning.  Most people we know are sleeping,” Kyuhyun pointed out.  “Leeteuk text, Yoon Jong Shin text…mom called four times already…”

            “You should call her,” Ryeowook urged.

            “I’ll put her on speakerphone on the way to the slopes,” Kyuhyun said, still playing with his phone.  “I wonder if I dare look on Twitter.  Did you check it yet?”

            Ryeowook nodded.  “Nothing embarrassing, I promise.”

            Kyuhyun continued to play with his phone in silence and Ryeowook pretended not to take too much interest in what his husband was doing by looking down at his own phone, but he kept glancing up to gauge his husband’s reaction.  He knew exactly when Kyuhyun scrolled down to his post, as his face suddenly turned red.  Immediately, Ryeowook began to smile and pressed his lips together to keep from laughing.

            Kyuhyun looked up and across the table and Ryeowook and that is when Ryeowook suddenly lost his ability to control his amusement and began to snicker.

            “Did you seriously post that?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter