Thanksgiving: What Matters Most

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Ryeowook and Kyuhyun had very purposely bought a dining room table that came with extensions, so it easily sat a dozen people.  Of course, there were thirteen of them, but they squeezed in an extra person just fine.  And they simply made Hyukjae bring down an extra chair from upstairs.  Before Ryeowook let them lay a single finger on the food, he stood up to address the group.

            “Hey…I just want to say thank you for coming.  Kyu and I are very happy that you are able to celebrate Thanksgiving with us.  We thought it would be fun to have our friends over to celebrate since we haven’t had the chance to have many get-togethers at the new apartment yet, but we hope to change that real soon.  We’re really thankful we have so many supportive friends!  I also want to thank Sungmin for helping me by making the desserts and appetizers and Hyukjae for helping to decorate.  Thank you everyone for coming!” Ryeowook said, finally sitting down at the head of the table.

            “Also, before we dig in,” Kyuhyun quickly added, noting that the members looked ready to attack the food.  “We’ve asked Siwon to say grace first.  So let’s all bow our heads and give him our attention.”

            Heechul groaned and rolled his eyes, but Jaejoong smacked the back of his head and he bowed his head to be agreeable while Siwon stood up and clasped his hands together.  “Lord, we thank you for all the magnificent things that you’ve given us…our family and friends…our careers and supporters…our health and opportunities.  Please continue to guide us through our lives and to help us to be better people and to help others in need.  May we always be thankful for what we have and not disappointed by what we lack.  Thank you for this wonderful meal and for allowing us to share in it together.  Amen.”

            The group repeated the amen and thought they were about to start eating when Heechul stood up and cleared his throat.  “I have one more thing to add,” he said.  “No one has yet to thank Ryeowook, but clearly he’s been slaving away for days now, just to make a meal that will probably last all of twenty minutes, knowing us.  And what does he get out of the deal?  A messy house?  A bunch of dirty dishes?  He does this all to make us happy and so we can be together again, which hardly ever happens anymore unless we’re on stage, so thank you very much, Ryeowook, for going through all the trouble of putting this on for this group of ingrates. Thank you also to Kyuhyun, who I know did at least a marginal amount of cleaning and prep work as well. 

            “You two are the youngest members of Super Junior and yet, in many ways, you have your life more figured out than any of the rest of us do and do what you can to keep your hyungs taken care of and we appreciate that.  We at least have the satisfaction of seeing you happier, I think, than the rest of us, since you have each other and you’re doing what you love.  I speak as a proud older brother who’s seen his younger siblings grow into successful and happy young men…I could not have imagined a better future for the both of you, back when we first started out.  Your hyungs are so thankful to have you looking out for us and treating us to not only this meal, but all the other ones that you routinely send up to the top dorms.  I’m so proud of you!  Thanks for all your hard work!”

            There was a round of clapping at this and shouts of praise of Ryeowook’s cooking which had him blushing and finally the group was about to dig in when Donghae raised his hand.  “Actually,” he said, digging into his pocket and pulling out several sheets of paper, “I wrote a list of things I was thankful for last night too!”

            Hyukjae’s eyes went wide when he glanced at the list and he quickly grasped Donghae’s arm.  “Hey, why don’t we eat first while the food’s warm and then you can read us the list when we’ve had a beer or two or ten?” he suggested. 

            Donghae nodded.  “Okay,” shoving the papers back in his pocket.

            At that point, there was a free for all in gathering food, although there was no shortage of food made.  Ryeowook had a good grasp for how much food the members could pack away and had planned accordingly.  Jaejoong just sat there in awe as the members franticly gathered food, Heechul on one side of him, Changmin on the other.  Changmin joined in the chaos—he’d been to enough of Ryeowook’s dinner parties at this point to appreciate the fun of fighting over the good cuts of meat and the biggest slices of garlic toast—but Jaejoong just watched and waited.  He leaned his head towards Heechul.

            “I’m afraid of sticking my hand in there,” he admitted.

            “Could get torn off,” Heechul agreed.  “Sometimes one of us gets stabbed, but it’s only led to stitches a couple times.”

            “Is it really worth that?”

            “Depends on what it is, how much there is of it, and how hungry you are.  I’m really good at getting there first though.  No one messes with me.”

            “You’re probably the one with the knife.”

            Heechul smiled.  “Accidents happen.”

            On the other end of the table, the more civilized members were sitting together.  Since Kyuhyun never felt in danger of not getting fed, he was never frantic over gathering food.  Ryeowook and Sungmin were cooks and no one dared to deny them their own product, therefore if they reached for something or asked for a plate to be handed to them, they were immediately obeyed.  Siwon was more reserved and refrained from partaking in the chaotic rushes for food.  So did the Super Junior M members that never had the horrible experience of fighting for too little food with thirteen members in a group.  Henry and Zhoumi were both polite and patient when eating; therefore, the other end of the table passed the food around to one another while the other end scrambled to collect theirs, and fighting over what size servings each other had, although there was more of everything in the kitchen still.

            Sungmin turned to Henry.  “Did you try the green bean casserole?”

            Henry shook his head.

            “Say ah!”  Sungmin said, holding up a forkful for the youngster to try.

            Henry tried out the vegetable and his eyes lit up as he chewed it.

            “Do you want some?”

            He nodded enthusiastically and Sungmin started to spoon him up some onto his plate.  Hyukjae frowned at him from do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter