LIFE

Hades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: 89 line!

Word Count: 1,563

 

LIFE

Life or existence is a valuable gift to any being. Life is often coupled with Death, in a cycle that we know and believed in.

For many of us, life is something we take for granted; a word that comes second nature so we don’t bother to appreciate it. But life is temperamental and often short; today you live, the next day you don’t. In a split second, life can curse you, and in some ways torture you. And this is the double edged blade of life: It controls you.

“Do you think life is unfair?” Sunggyu asked as he sat inside the staff lounge with fellow intern Donghyun. “Well it’s not really fair, but not unfair. I believe that the decisions we make affect the way we live our lives.” The intern replied and Sunngyu nodded. “Very well said.” HE replied, making the other chuckle.

The two parted ways and headed to their respective mentors: Sunggyu walked towards Ryeowook’s office while Donghyun walked towards Sungmin.

“Oh Sunggyu, earlier than expected.” Ryeowook glanced over the boy then returned to his clip board. “2 years ago, I have a patient suffering from stomach ache, I advised him some medicines and advised that it’ll progress to ulcer if he didn’t take care of himself.” Ryeowook said and Sunggyu nodded. “But with proper control he’ll surely recover and contain the disease.” Sunggyu replied. “But the problem is, the man is a stubborn to begin with and now he comes back only to find out that the ulcer had developed into stomach cancer.” Ryeowook revealed. “Is that your fault doctor?” Sunggyu asked and Ryeowook sighed. “I’m not God to begin with and I can’t stop death if he wants to reap souls. But I am a doctor which means I am tasked to mediate between the two.” Ryeowook started and Sunggyu looked at him surprised, the doctor smiled placidly. “We are not meant to make miracles but we are here to buffer the two sides of the mystical and divine realms. But we can only do so much since we are just humans. We treat our patients in the best way we could but only they can heal themselves.” Ryeowook explained and the intern smiled and nodded in agreement.

Surely, doctors were not meant to conjure miracles that are the religious’ work. And surely they can’t stop death forever, but slow him down temporarily. Expiry dates were always set whether in food or in life, there’s always the ticking bomb ready to explode.

“You look like you are in deep thought.” A voice broke Sunggyu’s chain of thought but smiled when he saw the owner of it. “Well, just a bit sad about losing one patient. I don’t know him but I just figured that as a doctor, I should’ve done something to help him.” Sunggyu told the intern nurse; surprising himself for his honesty towards a person he just met a week ago. “Not your fault hyung. Besides, he drew that fate. If he listened to Ryeowook hyung, he should’ve controlled the ulcer. But he turned to alcohol and abused himself. It was too late to remedy him when death caught him by the throat.” Myungsoo replied and Sunggyu somehow felt better. “You sure aren’t subtle with words but thanks, it made me feel better.” Sunggyu smiled and Myungsoo returned it warmly.

The two had been working closely, since Ryeowook has to attend to some important surgeries and stuff, Sunggyu was tasked to attend to his minor but equally important patients: He does the routine check up and talks to them. Before his shift ends, he reports to Ryeowook and instructs him on what to prescribe.

The nurse had always been beside him, making sure that the patients were taken care of and Sunggyu sees such an angelic face; no wonder the p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter