Chapter 5

I Love You Roommate

*The text in blue means that they are talking in English.


“I don’t get it, why is this even an important thing?” I asked, feeling a little frustrated over the fuss about today’s performance.

Baekhyun just shrugged and looked at me. “It’s a student exchange program with a school in the US. I don’t know.”

“Really, they even made me wear evening gowns.” I said, I just felt uncomfortable wearing gowns like these. I prefer jeans and t-shirt.

“And I have to wear a bowtie. Seriously, what the hell?” He said while tugging at his bowtie.

“Shut up you two, you look cute together!” Jongdae said and we both shot glares at him.

“Shhh it’s you guys’ turn now, go!” Yixing sunbae said and threw two microphones toward us. Baekhyun caught it before it crash to the ground.

“Hyung, you need to change that habit of throwing everything.” Baekhyun said.

“Sorry. Now get out there.”

I sighed. I have never performed in any kind of performance before and this, this is worrying. Baekhyun seemed to realize that I was shaking a little, he grabbed my hand and smiled.

“Hey, just do it like when we practice.” He said and I gave him a nervous smile.

I did, maybe even better because when we got down the stage, Jongdae was grinning from ear to ear. It’s hard to get praises from the troll but he did, he kept on praising us until Kris sunbae has to tell him to shut up. Well, he praised himself a little too.

“I’m such a great teacher. I have succeeded in producing two great students.” He said, pretending to cry.

Baekhyun and I rolled our eyes at the same time and everyone else laughed.

“Ah there you are Miss Park.” My English literature professor said when he saw me, standing beside him is an American guy, tall, very tall.

“Is there anything I can help professor?” I asked.

“This here is Jayce. He’ll be staying here for the student exchange program for a month. He speaks very little Korean and I understand that you used to stay in London right? So, I want you to accompany him during his stay here in Korea.” He told me.

“Uhh sure… But where is he staying?” I asked. Please don’t say my dorm because I am already living with a guy which is hard to handle.

“Oh you don’t have to worry about that. The school has already prepared everything here for the students. You just need to stick around him to make sure he can get along in our school.”

“Ah… I see. Sure, I can do that.” I replied with a smile.

“Oh before I forget, his class schedule will be exactly the same as yours to make things easier.”

“Thank you professor. I promise I’ll do my best.” I said.

“I’ll get going now, get along well you guys.” Professor said and walked off.

Hi. I’m Haeun but back in London my friends just call me Hannah.” I said to Jayce.

Oh, I’m Jayce, but you can call me Jay.” He said and smiled.

“Ehem…” I heard someone cleared his throat and I turned to see the others were looking at me with blank expressions.

Oh right… Jay, this is Baekhyun, Jongdae, Xiumin, Yixing and Kris.” I said, introducing them to him. “And guys, this is Jayce.”

Nice to meet you.” Baekhyun said.

“I see someone can speak in English.” I said, teasing him.

“Shut up, that’s the only English I know.” He said.

So one week passed and Jay has spent a lot of time with us. I think that he’s a nice guy, he’s cheerful, on-going and polite to everyone. I have been spending a lot of time with him too, mostly in the library, helping him with his Korean or maybe in the coffee shop, telling jokes and exchanging stories.

“Huh, you’re late today.” Baekhyun said when I closed the door.

“Sorry, I’ve been chatting with Jay and forgot the time.” I said, taking off my shoes.

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with him huh.” He asked.

“Well, he’s not from around here so I guess I have to help him to get use of everything here.” I said.

“I see… So umm want to have dinner together?” He asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry Baekhyun. I already promise Jay to have dinner with him later. Maybe next time?” I said and looked at him.

“Yeah. Sure. Go on, I’ll call Jongdae to have dinner with me.” He said, smiling.

Somehow that smile just felt like he was forcing it.


Baekhyun’s Point of View

Sigh… Ever since Jay came here, Haeun have been extra busy. She keeps on going out with him and I was starting to think that maybe the two of them are dating. I’m not jealous or anything but what is this feeling? It’s weird.

“Hey Jongdae, want to go get dinner?” I asked.

“Sure. Haeun following us?” He asked.

“Nope. She’s off with her American boyfriend.” I said.

“The two of them are dating?” He asked.

“I don’t know but they’re just always together.” I said.

“Someone’s jealous.” He teased.

“I am not. Meet me at the dorm entrance later, let’s go have some bibimbap.” I said and hung up.

“Yo dude. What’s with that expression?” Jongdae asked and gave me a slap on the back.

“You have to stop slapping people on the back.” I said, massaging my back. It hurts a lot.

“Sorry. You don’t look so happy.” He said.

“I’m just tired I think.” I said. “Been gaming a few hours straight.”

“I think you’re sick.” He said, putting his hand on my forehead. “Want to go see a doctor?”

“Doctor? I’m not sick.” I scoffed.

“Yes you are. Love sick and you need a love doctor.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, looking at him.

“You’re in love with Haeun aren’t you? And you’re jealous that she’s been going out with that Jay instead of you.”

“I am not! Who’s in love? Not me.” I said.

“Why are you shouting? Gee fine, fine.”

What if he’s right? Me? In love with Haeun? I highly doubt that is possible anyway.

In class, during lunchtime, in the library, anywhere, Jay just has to sit between me and Haeun. And they usually converse in English and that makes me go crazy because I just can’t understand what in the world are they talking about.

“I’m hungry, want to get something to eat?” Haeun asked me one day back in the dorm.

“Why don’t you go with your American lover boy?” I said in a sarcastic tone.

“Huh? Lover boy? Is that what you’ve been calling Jay?” She asked.

“Yes.”

She sighed. “Well, he’s busy doing his assignments for his school in the US. So?”

“I’m busy.” I said, turning back to my computer, constantly typing random stuff to make it look like I’m busy.

“Okay… You want anything? I can grab something for you.” She said.

“No thank you.” I said without looking at her.

“Okay… I’ll be back in a while.” She said and went out.

What is wrong with me anyway? Maybe Jongdae’s right, I am in love with her.

So for the next few days, I tried to ignore her and avoid her as much as I can. I mean, I’m sure that she likes that kid, so to prevent myself getting hurt, the only thing I could do is avoid her.  But I can’t really avoid her, we share the same room, we go to the same class, we even have the same friends. So, I stared to enter class 5 minutes late every time so I don’t have to see her and sit beside her. I always sit near to the door so when the class ended, I would be the first one to shot out the lecture room. I go back to the dorm late at night too and usually she was already asleep.

There are a few times I saw her sleeping by her table, and sometimes even on my bed. Did she stay up to wait for me but ended up falling asleep?