Question #1

K-Pop Audition/Trainee Questions

Today's question is "What if you sing well but your just crap at dancing? And what if you're a bit flabby?" I've decided to publish questions because that way, people who may have the same question will also find the answer they are looking for.

 

My answer to that would be, in all honesty, learn how to dance decently. You don't need to be like Hyoyeon or Taeyang, just start with learning how to keep up with the choreography. As you could tell, much of K-pop revolves around intense choreography. Start with simple choreographies such as Gee or Run Devil Run and work your way up to harder choreographies such as Lucifer or History (When I first started, I didn't know how to dance really well, so I learned Genie and now I've worked my way up to harder songs. If you guys want, I could post a sample dance K-pop dance regime that I usually practice with). 

The company will train you in dancing. However, some companies actually prefer dancers to singers as they believe having an inner sense of rhythym is untrainable whereas having a mediocre singing voice is (i.e. SM and JYP). If you can find the beats within a song with no problem (I actually personally had a lot of trouble with this when I first started, lol) but just haven't had much training in dancing, I wouldn't worry much actually. Concentrate more on your forte, thats what's going to make you stand out. Trust me, you need all the advantages you can get. 

For "being flabby," my answer is simple: either lose weight or tone. Most female idols are within the range of 45-50 kg (100-110 lb) at around 5'4" (162-163cm). If you're shorter, you should weigh less. If you're taller, you can weigh a little bit more. Measurements are also important. Your waist should be around 24-26 inches, your hips should be 33-34 inches, and your legs should follow the golden 50:30:20 (cm) ratio. Thighs should be around 50 cm, calves should be around 30 cm, and ankles are 20cm. Weight/body type actually matters a lot in dancing. Sometimes, following a certain choreography just doesn't look right when you do it because you have such a different body type :/

Guys, you are off the hook in terms of weight -- as long as you aren't incredibly overweight, you are fine. But that's not to say that you won't be forced to diet or lose weight once you're in, you will. You have it easier than girls though :) Especially at auditions.

If you think about it this way, dancing helps tone your body, so when you practice dancing, not only are you going to look slimmer/lose weight, you are also practicing something that might potentially help you in the future. At least, that's how I look at it.  

I will post up another chapter with more extensive advice on losing weight. I hope I answered your question well :)) and good luck!