So You're In.......Now What?

K-Pop Audition/Trainee Questions

Congratulations! You've made it as a trainee and now you're curious on what exactly trainee life entails. From my obessive research, this is what I found, plus a couple of warnings headed your way :)

Disclaimer: Because I'm not a trainee and because all companies vary on their trainee system from one to another, these rules are simply a general consensus among all companies. The company that you have signed under may be rather lenient or more strict than what I've posted.

General Trainee Rules (Note that new rules will be added depending on what level of a trainee you are. Most companies are more lenient towards new level trainees while if you are training to debut, you will have way more rules to follow, like "always wear sunglasses in public")

1. No social media (More strict companies would say "no mobile phones"),

2. No unsupervised trips (including going to the bathroom -- again, depends on the company)

3. No eating or drinking (including water) past 7pm

4. No dating (depends on company -- some allow it)

5. Only speak Korean and answer to their Korean stage name

6. All social interactions will be followed by a manager (I assume that this is when you are training to debut)

7. 5+ hours of gym, dance, vocal, language lessons, acting, etc are required everyday

8. No filming (unless its a CF/drama speficially allowed by the company)

9. No pictures online

10. Can only eat what the managers plan out daily

11. No singing/dancing in public

And much more.....

 

Some warnings:

1. Disobey any of the rules set forth by the company and a warning will be issued. Do it again and you face possible termination by the company (another word for that would be "kicked out")

2. Evidence that surface online about your not-so-bright past will lead to termination

3. Any netizens/sasaengs that ciculate rumors (may they be true or not) that severely affect your image as an idol (things that you were a bully, part of a gang, smoked and drunk underage, tapes, etc) will lead to termination

4. During your monthly (or weekly at some companies) evaluation, if you show no improvement (or get worse) from previous evaluations, you will be issued a warning. If it happens again, it could lead to termination.

5. If you want out of a group during training period, you will be fined a certain sum and it could get expensive. This is why some ex-trainees are still paying their company back and why most rookies don't get any money back because they have to pay for their training fees (room and board, dining, trainer's pay, etc)

6. If you want out after the training period and after you debut, you will also be fined a certain sum.

 

Could you do this? Could you have your identity and freedom stripped for God knows how many years (with the average training period to be 4+ years)? The training period is unfair (and far worse than just auditioning) and is meant to weave out the 90% of trainees that don't cut it. Competition among the trainees make making friends almost impossible if you aren't guaranteed to debut. Coming from another land, could you sacrifice your personality, identity, freedom, friends, and family risk being alone and bullied for your 10% chance at debuting? And those aren't even your chances of being successful...